C-7 Hellraiser Review

8.5
reviews (8) pictures (3) 65 comments vote for this gear:
C-7 Hellraiser Reviewed by: thedayididntdie, on january 12, 2009

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

Features: This guitar is a 7-string 24 extra jumbo fret (26. 1/2 scale) Hell-raising machine. The body (Ultra-access cut-away) and set-neck are mahogany, while the fretboard is rosewood. The Abalone binding really catches your attention, and mine came with a quilted maple top, but I don't think they make that anymore (just black and white now). It has a Thru-body TonePros bridge, and grover tuners to top it off. And best of all the EMG707 pickups blast your licks straight on through whatever type of rig you may have. // 8

Sound: This thing is my guitar for Hardcore (Parkway Drive type stuff), or for playing guitar and bass parts together for lighter tune-idge. I'm currently using this with a Peavey Windsor half stack, a Snarling Dogs Mold Spore Wah, and a Krank Krankshaft overdrive pedal, and from giving the tone knob just a little tweak this tank goes from screaming leads to low rumbles like Korn at their worst. I was highly impressed with the tonal variety because wasn't expecting to get the leads that I did out of it. I love playing Satriani tunes on this. The tone, depending on where you happen to roll your knobs, is perfect. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came to my door set up perfectly. Action just slightly higher than if it had a Floyd Rose, perfectly bookmatched top etc. Not a single flaw. Thats a once in a lifetime experience. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's all Mahogany this will take the harshest punishment you can give it, and still pull through (that being said, I still baby mine). If I ws designing this guitar myself I would have picked the exact same hardware. Grover tuners Rock!! I switched to locking straps on the day I got it for personal preference, but I'm sure the stock ones were good. Backup guitars... hell no, not when you have the Hell-raiser. And the finish seems like it will never wear down. // 10

Overall Impression: I can use this thing to get any tone for ANY kind of music that I want. I've been playing for almost 9 years now. this is by far the biggest bang for my buck that I have ever gotten in a guitar. If it were stolen, I would probably get this guitar again, unless I became a millionaire over night, so that I can afford one better than this, but for this price (and even a few houndred more) there is nothing better. I'm upset that they started manufacturing it with EMG707tw's because I would love the option of splitting for a single coil sound. But mine was $150 less than they are now, so I'm content. // 10

C-7 Hellraiser Reviewed by: GuitarManiac110, on march 20, 2012

Price paid: € 999

Purchased from: Raahen Musiikki

Features: Specs: - Construction: Set Neck w/ Ultra Access - Body: Mahogany w/Quilted Maple - Neck: 3-pc Mahogany - Finger Board: Rosewood - Frets: 24X Jumbo - Inlay: Abalone Gothic Crosses - Bindings: Abalone - Tuners: Schecter Locking - Pickups: EMG Active 707tw - Electronics: Vol (tap)/Vol (tap)/Tone/3-Way Switch - Bridge: TonePros TOM w/Thru-Body - Scale: 26.5" - Hardware: Black Chrome My model was made in 2011 in South-Korea. I'm kinda disappointed that it didn't come with straplocks. The stock strapbuttons are solid though, but I have replaced 'em with Schaller straplocks. The 2011 version has Schecter locking tuners instead of Grovers. No complaints about that, this thing stays perfectly in tune. I have no complaints about the neck. I thought that fast playing would be little more harder because this guitar has a wider neck because it's a 7-string. Luckily my doubts were shown to be false. You can really shred with this thing, if you want to. The neck fits nicely into my hands and I have pretty small hands. // 9

Sound: First of all, I'm not going to say that "I play everything from Jazz to Heavy metal!" I'm going to be honest with you and say that I'm a metal player. I play little rock too, but this guitar shines in metal genre. The 26.5 scale really gives you that tight, low, brutal sound to low B. The EMG 707s give you really thight, sharp tone. At home I use this beast with my (sigh) Roland Microcube. The guitar sounds decent through it. When practicing with my band, I play it through Line 6 Spider III 15 watt, Blackstar HT-5H head with Marshall cab or through Blackstar HTV 40. (Depends about the place we train in) I have also tested this through some random Peavey and Behringer. I gotta say, this guitar sounds good with any of these amps, but through Blackstar this thing comes alive. Like I said before, the EMGs give you a really tight and sharp distortion. Perfect for me. It also gives you pretty good cleans. Not nearly as good as a passive Seymour Duncan, but it's good enough for me. With the split-coil you can also try to play some Jazz with this! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this, the guitar was set-up great. No fret buzz and the strings were adjusted just right. Too bad I can't say the same about the bridge pickup. It wasn't horizontally as straight as the bridge pickup. Nothing that a screwdriver can't fix, but I was a bit disappointed with this. If we forget about that, the guitar was in perfect shape. The pickup selector makes a satisfying click when used and the volume knobs are solid. I don't who invented to place the volume knobs so close to your hand though. If you use your pinky as an anchoring point you might have trouble. Also, it's fairly easy to your picking hand to touch the volume knobs when playing. You might turn off your volume. It hasn't happened to me, but it's possible. The finish had no flaws and it looks sexy as hell (trust me, I check the guitar very carefully), but it gets scratched easily, when you change strings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live yet, but I'm sure that this guitar is roadworthy. If you don't believe me, check out Jeff Loomis. He used the Hellraiser series before he got his signature. Like I told you before, the strap buttons were solid, but I changed 'em to Schallers, just to be safe. I would NEVER EVER gig without a backup guitar. Who knows what might happen? I'm sure that the finish will not wear off because of lots of playing. My hands tend to sweat a lot sometimes when playing. The hardware has no rust in it yet, and probably never will, when taken care of. // 8

Overall Impression: I've had this guitar since September and it still looks fresh and new and plays like a dream. I have been playing about 3 1/2 years. I play Trivium, Metallica, Dream Theater, Megadeth and many others and this thing sounds great through a proper amp! If it were stolen, I would definitely get a new one. And if I would catch the thief (And if I wouldn't have any moral rules) I would rip the bastards ball off and feed them to him and make him regret he was ever born. The guitar is pretty heavy compared to my other guitars, not too heavy, but it definitely doesn't feel like a toy. If you're looking for a great 7-string for metal with variety, I recommend you take a look at this. (And excuse me my not-so-great English.) // 9

C-7 Hellraiser Reviewed by: Shredtohell, on july 02, 2009

Purchased from: Samuel Music

Features: Don't know the year or where it was made..It's a Set-Neck w/Ultra Access. Mahogany Body, Black Gloss finish. 3-pc mahogany neck. It has a 26.5" scale. Rosewood fingerboard with 24 X-Jumbo Frets and the nice "gothic cross" inlays. Also with a Abalone binding. The Pickups are the EMG Active 707-tw. Electronics on it are 2 vol (both tap), Tone and a 3 way Switch. A TonePros TOM with Thru-Body for the bridge, Schecter Locking tuners. Black chrome hardware. // 9

Sound: I bought this for the band I'm currently in (Skirge, check us out). Some of the songs that the other guitar player writes are on a Baratone guitar. So instead of buying a Baratone guitar with 6 strings (I couldn't find any I liked). I went ahead and got a 7-string, cause of the low B string. I always wanted a 7 string because of morbid angel and other band I lisen too. I play on a Line 6 XL Live pedal board, that goes to a QVC power amp and that runs to a Ibanez 4X12 cab. With that set up and with this guitar, it's a dream rig. You can play a variety of music. I set up all my own noise gates on my pedal board so I have no noise or feed back. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up good. I did no ajustments to it. Action was great! No flaws in the guitar when I bought it. I'm real picky when I buy a guitar. Exspecially when it's 800 bucks. The looks of this guitar, you can play any music with it; Staind to Morbid angel. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played a couple shows with it so far and it holds up. I got lock straps cause I like to move around on stage and get into my music (headbang, stomp and jump off anything ect..) So far so good. Very dependable in my eyes. I was not sure about drop tuning it to A, didn't know if it would stay. But I went to tune it up after a week vaction I took and it was still in tune, that's a week of just sitting out on the stand and it was still in tune. That to me is impressive.! // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said above. I like this guitar alot. I would buy this guitar again if it was stolen. For my style of music it's great. Check out my UG account (shredtohell). I got 2 songs up and this is the guitar I recorded thoes songs with. You have to check out my bands page I set up on UG to hear the other song. I liked it at first, then I got a little ok with it when I was setting up my channels on my POD Live effect board, but once I played on my rig it was the greatest sound, for a Baritone. My other guitar player got kind of jealous of my new family member (the guitar). He likes it a lot too. To tell you guys/gals the truth, I tried and looked up other Baritones and 7 string guitars but not many companys are making these to much. I didn't want a used one so I went and gave Schecter a chance with my money and I'm very pleased with the end resolt.. // 10

C-7 Hellraiser Reviewed by: Lefty777, on august 28, 2009

Purchased from: Bill's Music

Features: This is a lefty, made in South Korea on '08 (the serial # starts with "08", so I assume that's what it means). I got this as a B-stock due to a little ding on one of the arms, so it's possible it didn't go through the same setup that one purchased at retail price would have. All the same features as the other reviewers gave; 24 fret, 26.5" scale, Tonepros (like a tune-o-matic) bridge, 2 EMG 707TW (active) pickups, Grover tuners, mahagony body (although it seems REALLY light for mahagony, like some other Schecters). // 9

Sound: I play several styles, but I know I won't be playing any weddings or bar mitzvahs with this. The EMG's give it a really modern sound (I guess it sounds "fuzzy" as opposed to smooth and beefy like a Gibson). This is my 1st 7-string and my first guitar with active pickups, so I can't really compare it. The coil-tap gives it some variety, though, so it can do a decent Strat imitation. On lower gain setings, it sounds pretty full and bright. I play it through a Mesa Mark IV head with a Marshall cab, and haven't had any problems with noise. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was kind of high and the neck slightly bowed when I got it, possibly because it was tuned in Standard (26.5" is a a pretty long scale for Standard tuning, unless you're using really light strings). This was easily fixed, although it still feels a little stiff. Probably will just take some getting used to. There was a small smudge in the binding at the cutaway and another small ding, but this is why I got it so cheap. My only real complaint is that the strings ring out over the headstock (beyond the nut) and I can hear it coming through the amp. They may have used a nut from a right-handed guitar, so the strings are fed through the slot at a weird angle, and not completely deadened beyond that. Other than that, the hardware is solid. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I bought this guitar with Live playing in mind. I have another Schecter I bought a few years ago just to take on tour, so I wouldn't have to put my Les Paul through the ringer. That one has been pretty reliable, and this one feels the same way. I put straplocks in (which I always do), and I always try to bring a backup guitar as a rule, but I'm not worried about hardware or electronics failing suddenly at a gig. The finish is actually pretty thick, so it's more likely to crack before it fades. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a good metal guitar for the price. I've been playing for 20 years now, and as a lefty, it's hard to find decent guitars. I wanted a 7-string and I know any Floyd Rose-type bridge in this price range wasn't going to cut it. Ibanez doesn't make lefty 7-strings (they did for 1 year I think), although that's probably the biggest competitor for this guitar. The next step up would be a Music Man Petruci model, which is AT LEAST $1800 for a lefty. It came down to value. There are cheaper Schecter 7-strings (Omen & Damien, I think), but this is definitely a step above those in sound and quality. I think Schecter knows what's important when designing a guitar. Considering it was made overseas, it sounds good and the hardware will last. Right now, I'd rather spend less money and have a decent guitar than spend a ton on a fancy guitar that is just going to get banged up. This does the job. // 9

C-7 Hellraiser Reviewed by: Kiwara, on august 02, 2010

Price paid: € 934

Purchased from: www.musiccenter.cz

Features: South Korea made, 24XJ frets, extended scale, mahogany fretboard, mahogany body , gloss white finish, superstrat style, string thru body bridge, 2x volume push pull (coil split), 1x tone, 5way selector switch, 2x EMG 707 active pickups, grover tuners. This guitar has a lot of awesome features and specs for the price. I find everything top quality. All pots and the Switch are noiseless, absolutely fine. // 10

Sound: I play technical death metal - the guitar is great. The tone is very solid when distorted. Compared to my EMG 81-85 6 string guitar, the 707's and the extended scale provide a lot more clarity. The guitar has a great sustain, but that is expected from active pup's and mahogany. I use a Peavey ValveKing head and a Randall RX412 cabinet with no effects - only a noise gate, wah and a Boss EQ with volume jump on solos. Sound of the pup's is really clear, bright. When splitting the coils, the cleans are amazing, tho a Fender single coil Strat is still a little better for cleans. The guitar will suit jazz, blues or funk very well too. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have to be critical with this. When I opened the box, I had to strighten up the neck, lower the action, adjust the pickups. The neck was a little bend out, and the action was too high. But it only took a few minutes, tho I can imagine, that for someone with no experience with this, it could be a problem. I had to adjust the pickups too, cause they were almost touching the strings. Also a minor thing... But it's sad when you pay almost 1000 euro for a guitar. After setting it up (it took about 1 hour), it feels perfect in my hands. No flaws at all. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have nothing to say about this. The guitar is solid as a rock. The finish looks awesome. This guitar is one sexy beast. What I love the most are the gothic cross inlays. // 10

Overall Impression: I play death metal - great match. I play the guitar for a whole lot of years now and it's my third guitar. I own an Epiphone SG Custom Prophecy EX and I sold a Squier by Fender Standard Fat Stratocaster HSS. You can easily figure out, that this is by far the best guitar I have/had. If this guitar got stolen I would definitely buy it again. I love the clarity and tightness of the tone when distorted. Also the Ultra comfortable neck (a little thicker then on my Epi or the RG1527). Before buying I played it in AUDIOTEK music store and compared to Ibanez Prestige RG1527 and ESP-LTD Stephen Carpenter sig 7 string. This guitar came out the best - more comfortable, more desirable tone (for me) and super quality of all parts. I only wish it had a neck thru body construction... // 10

C-7 Hellraiser Reviewed by: Schectershred92, on may 27, 2010

Purchased from: Online Music Store

Features: Mine was made in 2009, crafted in South Korea. This guitar comes with a 24 XJ fret Baritone mahogany set neck and solid mahogany body, and a rosewood fingerboard. The inlays are also abalone, and are Schecter's special Gothic Cross design, which is a nice touch in making the outward appearance of the guitar more "metal". Also, just to be sure I state this in the first section, this is a 7-string guitar. Since I bought the black version, the finish is a simple shiny black with abalone binding on the body and headstock, though it is available in white, and cherry red as well. The body itself is a superstrat style with a Schecter headstock. The guitar is string-thru with a Tonepros bridge. The guitar came with two active EMG-707 pickups with a coil tapping option. The controls for the guitar are two volume knobs which double as the push-pull control for the coil tapping for each pickup, one tone knob, and a three-way selector switch. Finally, the tuners on the guitar are Grovers, though I'm not sure of the specific model, they sure work well. // 9

Sound: I play mostly Metal, anything ranging from Black Sabbath to Children of Bodom, and I also dabble in other genres such as Blues and Jazz. I run this guitar through a new Marshall JMD:1 100w combo with no pedals or external effects, and it does all of these genres very well, though metal is it's forte as you can guess by the name and the looks of the guitar. The guitar's neck is a bit chunky, but not so much so that it makes shredding hard. In fact playing fast riffs and solos is very easy, or at least the guitar doesn't get in your way, and the solid mahogany construction makes slower riffs sound a tad muddy, but in a good way. The set neck and string-thru body also combine to give great sustain which is always a plus. The guitar itself produces no noise on the clean or light-to-medium crunch channels that I use for softer musical styles, and only has a slight hum when on a high-gain setting. However, the guitar is equipped with active EMG pickups, which some might like and some might not, depending on their opinion on EMGs or active pickups in general. I myself love the pickups, and their versatility, and I don't find them any more sterile-sounding than the other axes I have which are equipped with passive pickups. SO to sum it up, the guitar handles low-gain and clean settings admirably (especially with the coil tap engaged to brighten the sound a bit) but really shines with lots of gain and distortion packed on top. Harmonic response is good, but depends a lot on your gain settings and the setup of the guitar, but when you dial it in right, both natural and artificial harmonics sound great and are easy to produce. All-in-all the quality of sound is quite good on this guitar, and for a metal guitar with active pickups is surprisingly versatile. Some downsides would be that, though the coil tapping does brighten the tone significantly, it still wont get you a pure single-coil sound which one might get out of a Stratocaster or telecaster, and also the aforementioned love it or hate it aspect of the EMG pickups. Soundwise this is all I can think of, great metal axe with the ability to play other genres of music proficiently. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was ok I guess, though the action was a bit high for me, and the strings way too thin to tune more than half a step down from E standard. This however was all easily fixed, and the pickup height was perfect. All the hardware on the guitar is name-brand and was installed and set up perfectly. The Grover tuners especially, keep the guitar in tune very well even though they aren't locking tuners, and the guitar's intonation is very easily set up. One thing which bothered me was that the nut was slightly flawed, in that the cavity of the G-string was not wide enough to accommodate the string (even the thin-gauge factory one), so I had to have it fixed. Also the pickup selector Switch does produce some noise then flicked hard, but the sound isn't really audible if you flip it while playing. Also, the metal of the bridge, as i have found out tends to discolor easily. It can be wiped off and it doesn't particularly stand out, but if you're a perfectionist regarding the appearance of your guitar it could be an issue for you. Finally the last downside I can think of is the finish, it's beautiful when clean but as all shiny black finishes it attracts grime and fingerprints show up really easily on it, so be prepared to live with a dirty guitar, or to have to polish it after every 2-3 playing sessions. Other than these, the guitar was perfect, and I'm sure the issue with the nut was a flaw specific to my guitar only // 8

Reliability & Durability: Never having played live, i can't say for sure if the guitar could withstand a gig or a tour, but it has never actually malfunctioned during the almost two years that I've had it for, and since it is a fixed bridge axe, there isn't too much that could go wrong with it. The hardware, though in some cases cosmetically flawed, is all rock-solid and should last for decades to come. The strap buttons are solid, and I have carried the guitar by holding onto just a strap button on multiple occasions, though they are small so a straplock is recommended if you're going to be playing live. The finish is excellent in terms of durability, it may get filthy after a week of not cleaning it, but it remains flawless when cleaned with barely any of the scratches you might expect from a guitar with no scratchplate owned by a shred-inclined heavy-picking individual such as myself. All-in-all an extremely reliable and durable axe, but I myself would never gig seriously without a backup or two. // 9

Overall Impression: I guess this is the conclusion of the review, well as stated before I'm mainly a metal guitar player who dabbles in some other lighter genres of music, and this guitar is the same thing, primarily a metal instrument but it is also proficient in other genres, thus netting it a respectable amount of versatility. In the four-and-a-half years I have been playing, I have yet to encounter a better guitar than this, as I also own two Fender Stratocasters, a Gibson SG Special, a Jackson JS30RR, Yamaha acoustic, and a Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty. Given that I bought the guitar online, I wish I could have tried it before I bought it so that I could notice the individual flaws and maybe get another one of the same model, but all-in-all I'm extremely satisfied with the guitar in its current state as it satisfies my personal musical needs down to a T. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy this guitar again, unless I come across something better, because there's always something better out there. I love the guitar's sound, relative versatility, and playability (though the neck is a bit chunky which might be an issue with some players). The only thing I hate about it is that it needs constant maintenance in order to keep looking beautiful, and I am extremely lazy when it comes to cleaning my guitars. Overall, I give this section a 9 because the guitar satisfies my personal requirements, and it is an overall very good guitar, but it is by no means perfect, thus falling short of a perfect 10. // 9

C-7 Hellraiser Reviewed by: LeonidasVath, on january 21, 2011

Price paid: C$ 1000

Features: Made in Korea, in 2008? Something like that. 24 frets with a fat 26.5" scale, jumbo frets I believe. They don't feel too big. Rosewood fingerboard, with some crazy abalone inlays. It's got a mahogany neck and body, with a pretty sexy white finish. She has a tonepro's TOM string through bridge, giving it some pretty good tuning stability. "Black chrome" hardware, and Schecter locking tuners. EMG 707's which sound alright. I think they need work, they don't sound like EMG's should sound. Not as quiet either. It's got that coil tap on both pick ups which is pretty cool I guess, I don't use it really but it's a feature worth having. 2 volumes and a tone, 3 way pick up selector. It's got a pretty decent over all set up, but I think the one with the floyd would be more fun to have. I'm an FR kinda guy. // 8

Sound: I play mostly heavy metal, but I do like to get my blues on and experiment with different things, and this guitar's pretty fun to do that with. I've been using this little Epiphone amp that I bought off a buddy for 10 bucks because my stack got stolen. I think it's from the 80's or something it's real Vintage looking/sounding. But seriously, this little amp is the nicest sounding little amp I've ever heard. Even though Epiphone = shit. I just use the stock distortion because I only have a DigiTech death metal, which is a good pedal but not if you don't have a noise gate. But the over all sound is pretty decent, but I think some dimarzio's would complete it. The mahogany sounds incredible though, I'll give it that. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I've just been borrowing this guitar because I broke the saddle on my FR's G string on my Jackson RR24, but it's set up pretty nice. It has a low action and a pretty fast neck. I had to solder a few things due to the owner's neglect for the guitar, but after I had my way with it I got her screaming. If you were to buy this guitar brand new though, you'd be very pleased. There was nothing else wrong with it besides the pourly soldered input jack and potentiometers, but that's Schecter right? // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems like it could take a good beatin'. The hardwares pretty good, I'm just not sure of the Schecter locking tuners they seem like they'd crap out after a while. I'm not sure if I'd use it on stage without a back up to be honest, I have mixed feelings about it's durability. The finish however is amazing, no signs of wear or anything yet besides were the pick hits. // 7

Overall Impression: Like I said before I'm into mostly metal, and this guitar is good for it, but the clean sound is just as fat as the dirty I think. But the pick ups need to go. I've been playing for 8 years and I hate to boast, but I think I'm ahead of the game. The actual owner of the guitar and I agreed we're going to sell it and buy a Jackson though hahah. To be completely honest though before experiencing this guitar, I was 100% anti-schecter, but this guitar made me think, maybe they do have a couple of good guitars, I mean if Jeff Loomis can play them they have to have some sort of quality. Overall, it's an extremely nice playing and decent sounding guitar. // 8

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014