C-7 Hellraiser FR Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 02/07/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: C-7 Hellraiser FR
It's an absolutely beautiful guitar that's just fun to play. It's very comfortable.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 8.5
reviews (4) pictures (2) 36 comments vote for this gear:
C-7 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: daniel91_rhcp, on november 25, 2009

Purchased from: Billyhyde

Features: Basic Features: * Construction: Set-neck with Ultra Access * Scale: 26.5" * Tuning: B-E-A-D-G-B-E * Body: Mahogany * Top: Quilted maple * Neck: 3-piece mahogany * Fingerboard: Rosewood * Frets: 24 extra-jumbo * Inlays: Gothic cross * Pickups: EMG Active 707-TW * Electronics: 2 Vol with push/pull coil-splitting/Tone/3-Way Toggle Switch * Bridge: Original Floyd Rose Tremolo * Binding: Abalone * Tuners: Grover * Hardware: Black Chrome 3-colour options, black, white and black cherry The only drawback in the features is that it didn't come with a case but that has nothing to do with the guitar itself. // 10

Sound: I play anything from funk to rock to metal and while it is a versatile guitar capable of playing all of these styles, it really shines in the heavier metal and shred tones, which is I guess what it was made for. The EMG 707's really compliment the guitars mean look and can give you lots of attack and really nice bass from the seventh string. The push/pull feature which changes to single coil lets you get surprisingly good clean tones, not particularly a warm fat clean but more of a glassy, crisp tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was setup perfect out of the box. There were no blemishes or flaws in any of the construction and finish and it played like a dream. This is my first and only seven string at the moment and the transition from six to seven only took a few hours, partially because the other guitar I use for shred/lead work is an ESP LTD KH-602 and the neck on the Hellraiser actually feels quite similar to it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitely gig worthy and comes with good quality hardware. I would do a gig with no worries on whether something will go wrong, it looks and feels like a solid instrument. So far there have been no problems with anything but I have only recently bought it, so not much to say here. // 10

Overall Impression: Buy one. You know you want to. It's an absolutely beautiful guitar that's just fun to play. It's very comfortable, and it's about twice as versative as I'd have expected it to be. Hellraiser or not, you can totally play blues on this, the clean tones are quite cool in a rather crystalline, sparkling way, and it's just a guitar that smokes for lead work. For the price and for the features, it's one of the better sevens on the market right now. // 10

C-7 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2009

Purchased from: Music123

Features: * Construction: Set-neck with Ultra Access * Scale: 26.5" * Tuning: B-E-A-D-G-B-E * Body: Mahogany * Top: Quilted maple * Neck: 3-piece mahogany * Fingerboard: Rosewood * Frets: 24 extra-jumbo * Inlays: Gothic cross * Pickups: EMG Active 707-TW * Electronics: 2 Vol with push/pull coil-splitting/Tone/3-Way Toggle Switch * Bridge: Original Floyd Rose Tremolo * Binding: Abalone * Tuners: Grover * Hardware: Black Chrome The only thing was te price, but when you buy an instrument in my country it becomes waaay more expensive than in the USA. I'm from Chile by the way. // 10

Sound: Now I'm using a Line6 Spider III 75w and it sounds awesome, I also tried this guitar with a Peavey 6505+ and It gives tons and tons of fat and heavy tones, just what I was looking for... I play mainly metal, but with this guitar you can play from country to death metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was flawless from the factory, even was tuned perfectly, ready to play. The pickups are set to match low action on the strings, really perfect for my playing style. The guitar comes ready to use, it doesn't need to be tuned or something, the action was really low, the gloss black finish shines, and it fits really good for any guitar player. The transition from 6 string it wasn't that hard, I just needed a day. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was made and biult to be played live, just look at Jeff Loomis, He used for a long time a Hellraiser C7 with HardTail and it rocks. The hardware will last forever, it comes just with the best hardware on sale, original floyd rose, mini grover tuners 18:1, etc... The straps are great, but I changed them for Ernie Ball straplocks. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play metal and it suits great for this style, but with the splits you can have a single coil and play blues or country without any problem. I've been playing for about 3year and I own also a LTD KH-602 and a Epiphone Les Paul Custom with EMG's 81/85. If the were stole I would buy another one right away. The only thing that I wish to change about the guitar is the fretboard, I really like ebony fingerboard, but rosewood is good enough. // 10

C-7 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: Aziraphale, on march 14, 2011

Price paid: € 1200

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: This guitar was made in South Korea, presumably in 2011. I also have a C-7 Hellraiser from 2006 or so, and even with 5 years in between it's shocking how similar the playability and tone is on both of them. Schecter is a very consistent company, definately reliable if you're buying online. 24 frets, 26.5" scale, Mahogany body and neck, etc. etc. the specs are on the Schecter homepage. The features are great in that both the trem and pickups are industry standard, no licensed stuff or cheap components. I'm personally not a fan of EMG's, but that's a subjective thing, at least they are the real deal. My only real gripe with the features is that the control layout isn't very ergonomic. The front volume knob is very close to the Bridge pickup, so if you're a Petrucci-style picker you WILL touch it, and possibly roll it off (although I haven't had that problem). It's even more prevalent when the split is on, leaving the knob sticking out even further. This in turn means using the pickup Switch and trem arm gets trickier. It's definately a pretty cluttered layout, that could have benefitted from moving the knobs further away from the Bridge and the pickup Switch further towards the neck, to spread them out and leave room for your hands. Another thing to note is that the edge around the guitar is quite sharp, so you'll need to thicken your skin on your right forearm to play it comfortably sitting. But that's also a personal thing. The guitar came with a generous set of allen keys and an extra spring for the trem, which is nice to have. // 9

Sound: I play pretty much everything, my main band is a type of funky rock band but with a lot of shreddy passages. Sort of a mix between the Red HOT Chili Peppers and Mr. Big. But I also play in a folk/country band, do a lot of 80's metal cover gigs, jazz gigs and I'm a metal guy originally. I can appreciate a good metal tone, but I also need versatility. The Hellraiser in itself is not a one-trick pony, it feels as great for strumming chords as for shred passages or country licks. Unplugged it sounds rich, punchy and with great clarity and projection, and the sustain is on par with all the PRS's and Gibson's I've owned or played. But the EMG's are pretty damn one-sided. The addition of coil splits on the recent models is a very good thing, gets you closer to that Steve Lukather type tone on the neck pickup. I'm a singlecoil guy and I think the 707TW's have the most convincing split tones I've heard, even if they're not entirely on the mark. But as with all EMG's, the mid-gain tones really don't do anything for me. In full-humbucking mode, neither do the cleans, but with the coil splits the cleans are useable at least. This makes it hard to rate the sound of the guitar, because the negative aspects are because of the EMG's, and they can be replaced (which I plan to do immediately). The guitar in itself sounds amazing. But out of the box, with the stock pickups, it definately lacks versatility and is also quite dark sounding. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was superb, it arrived in the box almost in perfect tuning, the action was low but without buzzing and it had great playability right from the start. The finish is like a mirror, very glossy and even, and the binding is well scraped all around. No sharp fret ends or dead frets, all the electronics worked as they should. Overall a Stellar setup and QC. The colour scheme is very nice, the binding might look a bit yellow on some photos but it's really silvery in most lighting. The black chrome hardware is also very silvery in most lighting. So the guitar overall is a lot more shiny and not as black as it looks on the Schecter page. Very nice, and the grey pearl binding is in my opinion way classier than the turqouise/pink abalone on the Black Cherry model. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I only got this guitar today, but like I said I've owned another C7 Hellraiser for 5 years. It's been on the road a lot and still not a single dent on it, never any string breakage, no tuning issues, no neck warping, it's been steady as a rock the whole time. I don't see why the new one should be any different. // 10

Overall Impression: I got this guitar with the purpose of modding it. I knew when buying it that the EMG's were coming out in favour of passives. That said I was pleasantly surprised by the coil splits, EMG really made a good move there as did Schecter for including them in this guitar as opposed to the normal 707's. This will receive some new pickups, then it'll be my main live guitar for the foreseeable future. I don't see myself needing anything else for my current situation, aside from my trusted Telecaster which just can't be replaced by this... so if it were stolen, I'd get another one unless I happened to have the money to go custom. The guitar is good enough to deserve a 10, if you like EMG's then good for you, but I can't fault the guitar itself just because I prefer other pickups. // 10

C-7 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: U_Mad_Bro, on february 07, 2012

Purchased from: GAK

Features: - Made In South Korea in 2011 - 24 Frets - 26.5 Scale - 3 Piece Mahogany Neck (Set Neck with Ultra Access) - Mahogany Body - Rosewood Fingerboard - Gloss Black Finish - EMG 707TW pickups - Floyd Rose 1000 series. I also got a case, a strap, a cable, some Allan keys and a tuner. // 10

Sound: I play lots of different styles, mostly Death Metal, Djent, Melodic Metal and Industrial and I can safely say, out of all the guitars I've played, the Schecter is the best I've heard, the pickups are crystal clear and the mahogany gives the guitar an extra depth. I've played it through 3 different amps, a Blackstar HT-5, a Crate FW120 and a Peavey Solo 85 and the guitar makes EVERY amp sound great. The Peavey is only a tiny amp which normally sounds bad, but with the Schecter, it doesn't. The EMG's were a great choice of guitar and sound wise, Schecter (up until about 1200) beats Ibanez by a long way. However, one of the greatest sound features that this guitar has, is a coil split, so if you want to play a song with single coil pickups, you just lift one of the tone knobs. It is a really handy feature, but it's not like the single coil sound is bad at all, it's actually the best single coil sound I've heard from a lot of other guitars. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was just how I like my guitars so I didn't have to mess about with the action. The strings that came with the guitar were amazing, the only issue is you can't down-tune lower than drop Ab, but that's probably because I'm used to thicker strings. The neck is where most people have the problem, they don't like the thickness, but I really like it, it lets you know you're holding a guitar. Schecter are currently having a hit or miss problem with the quality control but my guitar hasn't got any flaws at all, it's one of the finest things I've ever owned. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this guitar for 1 month so am probably not the best for this, but it hasn't broke yet and the strap buttons are solid. I feel like I'm able to rely on my guitar and am using it at a gig soon. // 9

Overall Impression: As a metal player, this guitar is all I really need, it's incredibly versatile guitar with the greatest pickups I've ever used. I also own a B.C. Rich KKV but that's nowhere near the Schecter. I love my guitar a lot, and I have played an Ibanez for around the same price, and I prefer this guitar. If it was stolen, I'd find the person that stole him and kill him. But seriously, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I love the feel and the finish on the guitar, it feels very classy and I'd recommend it to anyone. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014