Coupe Special Edition Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 07/30/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Coupe Special Edition
The Schecter Coupe Special Edition is a beautiful hollow body guitar. It gives a really smooth warm sound on the neck pup, and a fat lead with distortion on the bridge.
 9.4
 9.2
 9.5
review (1) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Coupe Special Edition Reviewed by: Klaptrap, on july 30, 2013

Price paid: A$ 1400

Purchased from: Dream Music, Sydney

Features: Made in South Korea, in 2013, the Schecter Coupe Special Edition, in Dark Emerald Green, is a beautiful hollow body guitar. It has a set neck construction, with maple body and a 24.75" 3 piece maple neck. The Coupe has 22 jumbo frets, on an ebony fretboard. It's got a roller TOM bridge connected to a Bigsby B-70, which I find very aesthetically pleasing, and it definitely suits this guitar. It's fitted with Seymour Duncan pups, a Jazz in the neck, and a '59 in the bridge, and all the hardware (tuners, pots, pup covers and bridge) is in gold. Two volumes for each pickup and two tone pots, which have the ability to coil tap. Grover non locking tuners and a 3 way selector switch are also awesome. I've got it with an SKB case, which was cheaper than the Schecter case. This guitar looks amazing, with bat-like f-holes, and it plays amazing as well; the neck feels thinner than a normal jazzbox. The cream binding makes it absolutely spectacular. // 10

Sound: I play jazz, metal, and everything in between, and this guitar suits most things. The Coupe gives me a really smooth warm sound on the neck pup, and a fat lead with distortion on the bridge, courtesy of the Seymour Duncans. Its only limitations is the feedback due to its hollow body construction when I crank gain and stuff, but the advantage is that I now love feedback and the harmonic overtones that gain produces. I love the tremolo ability from the bigsby, and I play it with a Boss Metalzone through a Peavey Envoy 110 (through the clean channel). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect when I received it, set up in the US after creation in Korea. All I did was put in a set of flatwounds and its great. The tone pots are deceptive, its pretty much an on and off, but the gold finish make them look good, so I don't care. The pickups seem fine, but I'm not very fluent with that field so I'm not 100% sure, but I've played it plenty, and they don't move around at all. There was a minor flaw, a cut above the nut which is tiny, but apart from that everything is brilliant. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Since it has a bigsby, tuning will always be an issue, but I could deal with that. The strap buttons are very solid. The gold hardware is already oxidising even though I've had this beast for a month, and I clean them everytime I finish playing, so I will eventually have to replace the pup covers, tuners, bigsby and bridge, but for now they are splendid. I would and I should have a backup on a gig, after all it's a hollow body with a bigsby. The finish in dark emerald green is beautiful, and it has a solid black pickguard, so the paint will be fine. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for the music I play; I've always wanted a hollowbody since I play jazz in my school band, but I was pulled in by the unconventional look of this. I've been playing for about 5 years, and I have an older Schecter 006 that was my first electric, and I have always loved Schecter for that guitar. I saw this guitar on the Schecter website, and I put all my savings into it, so it was pretty much a YOLO moment on my behalf. If it was stolen or lost I would definitely put a lot of effort into trying to get it back, i.e. hunt down the thief and destroy them. I love it, the look, the warmth of the Duncan Jazz, the versatility, the feedback, the cream binding, everything. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014