Damien-6 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 04/29/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Damien-6
The Schecter Damien 6 features a basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard with 24 extra jumbo frets, EMG's popular H4/H4A pickup set and more! Black finish, black hardware and black pearl bat inlays compliment the Damien's aggressive sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 Features: 8.8
reviews (8) 42 comments vote for this gear:
Damien-6 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2005

Features: Brand new 2005, comes with EMG humbuckers and available 26.5" scale or standard 25.5"! Great feel, and nice pearl bat inlays. Damien series rocks! Comes with 24 Medium/jumbo frets and black satin finish. Damien comes with a Floyd Rose tremolo! - Binding: none - Body: basswood - Bridge/Tremolo: TOM w/thru-body - Controls: volume/tone/3-way - Fingerboard: rosewood - Frets: 24 X-jumbo - Inlays: black pearl bats - Machine heads: grover - Neck joint: bolt-on - Neck material: maple - Pickguard: none - Pickups: EMG HZ H4/H4A set - Scale: 25 1/2" // 10

Sound: Very good for heavy metal/rock. The Marhall AVT150 seems to be a great setup for it. Bright on the clean channels and dark on the overdrive channels. This guitar has a wide varity of playing styles, but I believe it's best for rock and metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Extremely well! I've got pics and sounds! // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand live playing with good dependable hardware, and solid strap buttons. This is the only guitar you (especially myself) would need. // 10

Overall Impression: Makes great for any style. I love those EMG humbuckers, and it is a guitar that I'd make myself! // 10

Damien-6 Reviewed by: violent.j.11, on may 27, 2006

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Satin Black finish, 25.5" scale, solid body, basswood, rosewood fretboard, bolt-joint, Grover tuners, EMGhz H4 bridge pickup (humbucker), EMG HZ neck pickup (humbucker), 24 frets, 2 controls: volume and tone, and bat inlays on fretboard. Pretty good features for the price. I find that the Grover tuners aren't the best in the world. I also wish there were two tone controls, but overall great features. I also really like the EMG pickups--give very nice sounds that dig into the the notes. // 7

Sound: I love the way this guitar sounds clean, but that is not it's best use. Metal and rock are definitely where the Damien 6 shines (if you need those real deep notes go for the Damien 7). From rythm chords to face-melting solos this guitar can give you the sound you need. I don't use the neck pickup as much as I do the bridge, but this will work for backup guitarists and leads alike. Harmonics sound great and are fairly easy to warp out of the guitar. What I really like about the sound in general is the the due to the body of the guitar. It's not too solid like Les Paul let's say, nor is it too bright like an Ibanez. The body really gives this guitar a distinct tone and great sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was absolutely perfect when I recieved my guitar. Heck, the strings were even tuned (fortunately the strings didn't snap during the shipment! ). The way my guitar was packed (from the Schecter HQ) there was no way this was going to get damaged during the journey to my house. The finish on the Damien 6 is okay. I would like a Damien 6 with a glossier Shine (like it often appears online). I scratched my guitar the first day I got it with my belt buckle (bummer). You have to be really careful not to scrape it up if you want to keep it ship-shape. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Other than the aforementioned problem (scratches) this guitar is fairly durable. Not superb though. I have a feeling I'm going to have to buy a new guitar within the next 2 or 3 years at the latest. The Damien 6 will probably wear out within that time period. For live gigs this is definitely a good guitar as long as it is taken care of. Pretty reliable for the sound, tone, pickups, etc. it's the durability of this guitar that is the downside. // 6

Overall Impression: I play thrash metal, heavy metal, nu-metal, and a little metalcore and I have to say I got the right guitar. There a a few Schecter Damiens and you can pick between the 6 (strings), 7 (strings), and FR (whammy bar). I was hotly debating whether to get the FR or not, but it was $50 more and, frankly, I didn't have the money or else I would have got it. Nevertheless I love my Damien 6 and do not regret buying it at all. I absolutely love the tone, the inlays, and the overall feel of the guitar, it is really comfortable to hold/carry around by strap. It is definitely not too heavy (but not too light). This guitar would probably not be welcome on a blues stage, or classic rock, or other less metal-ly arenas due to its bat inlays and just darkness, but I love it. If this were stolen I would probably get the Damien FR, but I would definitely stay with Schecter. Great guitar period. Well made. Rock on. // 7

Damien-6 Reviewed by: Tiamat, on july 16, 2007

Purchased from: Guitar World

Features: This guitar was made in 2006 by Schecter guitars, in South Korea. It has 24 X-Jumbo frets, and has a maple/rosewood neck, with black pearl bat inlays. The neck is maple and the body is made of basswood, which is light and provides decent sustain. it's finish is Satin black, which suits the guitar perfectly, but it's a shame that it only comes in black, some other colors would have been nice to see. It is shaped like a Standard Strat but still has nice contours and curves that make it seems somewhat unique. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic, with a string-thru design for better sustain. It has a 3-way pickup selector, 1 tone and 1 volume controls. The pickups are in HB-HB setup and are passive EMGs. Tuners are Grover, and are black to match the guitars finish. The accessories that were included were a set of allen keys for every socket and hole on the guitar for easy maintenance, as well as the usual certification of authenticity etc. // 9

Sound: I usually play heavy metal, and this guitar suits my tastes well, with the dual humbuckers and the 24 X-Jumbo frets for easier access. The string-thru design creates longer sustain and the basswood body is light enough to wear standing up for an entire set without having to take it off for a rest. I'm currently running it through my Boss GT-8 multi effects and Roland Cube 60, which sounds great, and the GT-8 gives me a lot of versatility with the sound. The bridge pickup is hardly noisy at all, but the neck humbucker can give off quite a lot of noise when your playing with high gain. The guitar can a great amount of sounds, from Opeth to Behemoth and everything in between. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came mostly in tune, which was surprising as it came all the way from America to Australia, and I did not need to adjust the action at all, as it was fairly low already. The bridge was properly attached and the pickups were adjusted fine, and there were no flaws at all in the construction of the guitar that I could find. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing, as it is built very solidly and the finish is strong enough to withstand quite a beating. The hardware seems like it will last, as it is all fairly solid and durable. The strap buttons are solid and I am yet to experience any problems with them, though I will probably replace them with strap locks to protect it even further. I will definitely use this at a gig, and I would probably not need a backup, though I have other guitars just in case anyway. The finish is great, it is very durable and has not scratched or rubbed off anywhere, and I doubt you could really damage it unless you were actually trying. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play heavy metal and this guitar is perfect for it, with its humbuckers, and awesome bat inlays which cast an evil aura over your playing. I have been playing for 4 years now, and own a Roland Cube 60, Ibanez RG2550E, and a Boss GT-8 multi-effects. There is nothing that I can find that is bad about this guitar, although maybe giving more choice of colors or upgrading the pickups to active EMGs would be the only things I would change. If I lost it or it was stolen, I would probably replace it or save the extra money and get the C-1 Hellraiser. I love the inlays on this guitar, and the smooth finish, it makes it a great instrument to play. I looked for many guitars when I was looking as I wanted a guitar with a fixed bridge, and had a string thru design. When I found this and it had bat inlay as well I was sold. Overall a very solid and well built guitar aimed at the heavier spectrum of music. // 9

Damien-6 Reviewed by: shecter guy, on april 29, 2011

Purchased from: pawn shop

Features: Mine is a 2006 Korean made Schecter. I've had the guitar about 3 years now and its still my number one. 24 fret rosewood fretboard with a bolt on maple neck. 25.5" scale if i remember correctly. it is a flat black satin finish on a basswood body. Supertrat styling. it is the non floyd version of the guitar. Grover tuners I believe. My pickups say EMG HZ on the covers. I bought it from the local pawnshop with a black basic Coffin Case and a Levy's strap for about $350 total. The neck to me is thin (closer to LTD than an Ibanez) and still pretty wide. The overall quality and features are really nice for a guitar I've gotten so cheap. I've had it three years so no longer in the honeymoon phase. I still give it a solid 8. // 8

Sound: well, I play a bit of everything (I hate when people say that) but I've played with a lot of different groups when I've needed money. My main writing still is a mix of different forms of modern rock and it fits them all, going from Breaking Benjamin to Chevelle to Escape The Fate style music to All Time Low and Killswitch Engage. i have used it with a Peavey Bandit 112 with a soom G2 mfx pedal going in, with a Peavey Vypyr 75 (current amp) and with a Mesa Stilleto head and cab. it killed with all these amps for different styles. I've had friends borrow this guitar for blues rock, gospel, country, metalcore, thrash metal and I've used it with a church band a few times. Clean sounds are bright and clear on the Bridge pickup. Great for barre chords and clean rhythm tones. Due to the scale, you can coax a little snap out of the Bridge pickup that I've used to play country and Indie rock with good results. Neck pickup has some solid cleans that are great when you just want a bit of a deeper sound for certain rhythms and clean leads. When using distortion, the Bridge pickup has given me perfect, tight Metallica style rhythm tones to bright Indie rock distortion for barre chords and single note lines for metal and newer rock. The neck pickup is a little too muddy with distortion to be able to use it as a constant rhythm tone though. It does great for leads in the high end though, and I have no problems with having articulation while doing techniques like sweep picking. Still gives great high end clarity during solos. I haven't found much use for using both pickups together, and there are certain styles it could do better, while it excels at distorted rhythm tones, I feel. 7 1/2 // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar used. Obviously someone took care of it because the action and intonation where spot on. Have had to basic maintenance on it over the years due to rapidly changing weather and some of the extreme seasons we have here in Tennessee. So as far as when I recieved the guitar, I would have to say an 8 (because I hate people who put all tens haha). // 8

Reliability & Durability: here are the drawbacks. The finish is somewhat thin I think. I was changing strings and it the string slipped and the tip scratched the finish with a small silverish line. Haven't had any big chips or cracks in the paint or anything though. Also, the volume and tone knobs are bad about loosening up, which are a quick fix. Also, I've had the nut on the input jack completely come off before when I unplugged the guitar sometimes. This is where it kind of looses points, but I haven't had any problems with any of the other hardware and I don't see any coming up in the near future. // 6

Overall Impression: like is said, i mostly play different styles of rock and metal (thrash, metalcore, hard rock, alternative, indie, etc.) it is a great fit and I've been ale to easily handle all these styles with my Schecter. I've been playing over 5 years and own/ have owned an Epiphone G400 custom, Ibanez Stagestar, Gibson Faded Flying V, and a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser. This one is going to stick around the longest I think. Its become a part of me and always inspires me to play. Its pretty much an extension of me when i pick it up. Favorite feature is definitely the neck. Its absolutely perfect for my hands. I hate that the cheap volume and tone knobs keep coming lose with the input jack though. I do plan to possibly pick up a Schecter Damien Elite FR sometime soon just because I love it so much and I think with the active EMGs and the Floyd Rose on it would make it a metal machine. SO glad I bought this guitar and would never consider selling or trading it. I hope it stays around for many years to come :) // 8

Damien-6 Reviewed by: Slovak_Ghost, on february 28, 2008

Features: I recently purchase this guitar. It is a 2007 Schecter Damien 6. This guitar consists of a basswood body with a maple/rosewood bolt on neck, 24XJ frets with 2 EMG passive pickups and a tone, volume, and three way switch. The tuners are of course grover, all black hardware and a satin black finish, topping it all off with pearl black bat inlays. The look of the guitar is exactly what I was looking for. For a Strat style body it looks much more agressive than your Standard Strat. I have a custom Fender Strat that is also flat black minus the bat inlays, they are very similar, though this is what I like, so why fix what's not broken right? Anyway I bought this guitar because for playing metal, my Fender just left something more to be desired. // 9

Sound: This guitar was built to play metal, which it does very well. Though I don't know much about the EMG passive pickups, because I put in the 81/85 active set as soon as I got it, but they produced decent tone for your low end throaty sounds. I decided to switch to the actives because I've always been a fan of active pickups and needed the extra quality they give you. I play through a Line 6 Spider III which give me everything that I need. The tone has a large range, from a high scream, to a more beefy sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up just fine. My only complaint is that the action seems to be a bit high, and when you lower the action you tend to get some fret buzz. The only way I have been able to achieve my lower action is to go with a thick gauge low end string, personally I use Ernie Ball Heavy Bottom Skinny Top. The finish on the body was perfect when purchased and everything was in sorts. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very solid, and would, and had survived Live play. Though, as I did, I would suggest strap locks, but that is Standard with almost any guitar. The hardware is also solid and has yet to cause me any problems at all, I have had this guitar for over a year now and all has been fine. My only complaint is that the flat finish doesn't get scratched very easily, but marks can be left on it very easily. You can't really tell aside from when looking closely, but things like that tend to bother me. Also in spots when your skin makes contact with the guitar the flat black seems to smooth out, giving that part of the body more Shine, and seem less flat in color. // 6

Overall Impression: Over all I really, really enjoy this guitar. Especially for the price, I don't think it can be beat. I have been playing guitar now for almost 7 years and have played many different guitars, and for this price this is a quality instrument. If it were lost or stolen, I would consider buying another one, if not this exact instrument I would buy another Schecter. When looking to buy this guitar, I was also looking at an ESP EX series, and decided that this would better suit my needs. Overall I think there are better guitars out there, but for the price the quality is over average. Somewhere down the line after college I will most likely up grade to something more violent, such as an ESP DJ-600 but until that time comes this I will continue to shred this bat out of hell. // 7

Damien-6 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 05, 2008

Features: I picked up this guitar after way to long looking thou guitars. this is mi second guitar so I didn't no to much about guitars before this. this guitars is fairly simple Strat shaped body double humbuckers (EMG h4 - h4a) a bolt on neck grover tuning heads rosewood fretboard tom throu body bridge one tone one volume, and 24fret easy access neck. // 8

Sound: this guitar is good over differend genres nd fx the bridge pickup duzent handle loud destortion as well as the neck one dose. first I ran it throu a dighitech 250 fx pedal and a create 15w amp, it sounded better than mi beginer kit at the time but in hid sight it sucked. o upgraded to a Peavey 65w studio pro which gives much better (less crunch) sound. the clean tones a great with both pickups(depending on the effect your going for). I can go from not the best of clean acoustic to all destortion I've tried. I've had a little feedback.. mostly with mi pedal and amp on distortion in the bridge pickup, but other than that it's handled anything I v tried. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: although Schecter has a reputaion for good set up I had one problem when you got mi guitar. I had to tweek the bridge hight for a while. now I've got that fixed I haven't had any other troubles with it. haven't touched any other ajestmeants and everything elts is snug and working. I'm stilll looking into getting locking strap buttons(anyone wana help me out on that one) but other than that it has work great! one point of intrest, although it dosent have a coil tap, the pickups are tapped and the extra wires are just siting in the back. // 7

Reliability & Durability: this guitar feels like it will last as long as I will no matter how much I play it. never gigged with it but never had any scares with it not working right and I've taken it a lot of places. strap buttons are fine, I've never droped it, came close a few times but I think it's just mi old strap. no makes in a finish yet but it gets finger prints from greasy hands easitly nd they don't come off easeily // 9

Overall Impression: over all from playing a little bit of everything with it (as far a rock goes) it's worked as good as I could hope. I've had it for bout six monthes with no trouble wat so ever and it shows up mi beginer kit for sure.I'm not sure that if I lost it I would get it again.. it's been a great guitars but scheter has come out with somenew models nd I waould also have to look into ESP guitars before I bought a new one. this guitar is comfterbale and good looking and it plays nice. th bolt on neck somtimes seems flimsy and I would rather have a thou body but that's just more. I get the most complements on the inlays, really sweet, check out a picture. this guitar and scheter in general is the best quality for price. I compared it to almost allt he schecters but they make mostly higher end guitars than this, and this fitted wat I liked. // 8

Damien-6 Reviewed by: bill_92, on november 03, 2010

Features: Picked this guitar up after tracking one down within the UK. Feature wise, 24 jumbo frets, basswood body, awesome Satin black finish, pearl bat inlays, EMG hz pickups, tone/volume switch, 3 way selector, rosewood fingerboard with maple neck, TOM bride /thru body, and grover tuners. For the low price this is a great feature list. // 9

Sound: For playing rock/metal, this guitar is extremely good. The EMG humbuckers pack a good punch with a good amount of gain. The TOM bridge also helps with sustain, and overall the sound produced is very good. Pinch harmonics scream on this guitar, but it is also versatile as the guitar works well under clean too. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up was flawless and perfect, with the pickups being well adjusted, no fret buzz, and I even received the guitar in tune. I have changed the stock strings but that is down to personal taste. Quality wise it is what we've come to expect from Shecter, extremely well made and set up perfectly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing and the hardware has yet to fail me once. The strap buttons are decent but I would advise investing in strap locks for peace of mind. I would never gig without a backup no matter which guitar I am using, however I am confident this guitar is dependable enough to gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from blues, rock, metal to punk and this guitar suits all these play styles. I have been playing for 5 years and this guitar in terms of value has been the best I've owned, when compared with my Jacksons or Fender. I compared this guitar to many within the price range, and the fact it comes with EMG humbuckers grover tuners and awesome looks puts it heads and shoulders above the competition, which usually use budget own pickups and poor quality hardware. I wish the body was mahogany instead of basswood, but then the price would be considerably higher, so I can live without that. Overall excellent guitar, one of the very best within it's price range. // 10

Damien-6 Reviewed by: Reyjakai, on january 14, 2011

Purchased from: Bert Murdock Music

Features: Where was is made? The guitar was made in South Korea. -How many frets? There are 24 X-Jumbo frets that are inlaid into a rosewood fretboard on a maple neck. This is all connected into the Basswood body of the guitar, which makes a Killer combination, it would seem. -Finish is black Satin. Looks great. -Bridge style is a string through bridge style. Holds very tight. -Volume/Tone controls, as well as a 3-way switch. -Pickups are EMG H4/H4A pickups (EMG HZ's). They're passive pickups, but work just as well or better than any active pickups I've ever used before. -Tuners work like a dream. They hold tight are always easy to adjust, and never have needed any tweaking/adjusting. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my musical style perfectly. I play Power Metal. This guitar beats almost every other guitar I've ever played. I mostly use my Kustom PA system connected to my DigiTech RP90 effects pedal for the best sound. This guitar can produce very rich sounds when used properly. Great for metal, but I doubt it would work very well for anything else. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is perfect. The pickups are perfect. The guitar is very well constructed, all the way from the tuning pegs to the bridge. There wasn't a single flaw in the guitar, and other than basic wear and tear, this guitar is as good as when I originally got it. Like I said before, nothing came loose, the pickup selector is great, all the controls are nice and snug, and nothing is misaligned/rusted. Tuning pegs work perfectly, electronics work perfectly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The ONLY problem I have with this guitar is that if you don't clean the selector Switch often, dust begins to build up and it cuts the sound when you change from pickup to pickup. Easy to fix though, basic maintenance. Strap buttons are perfect, hardware has lasted for over two years so far while taking a heavy beating, and it shows no signs of going out any time soon. I would use this guitar for any gig without a backup any day. The finish is barely starting to gloss over where I rest my palm while picking. Other than that, it's just as new as when I got it. // 10

Overall Impression: Power Metal - This guitar is the perfect match for just about any guitarist. It produces great leads as well as really rough and "Brutal" sounds, for any of you death metal fans out there. I have been playing for 3-4 years now, and I own two other guitars, PA system, Marshall Half-stack, and other various instruments. If stolen or lost, this guitar would be my first choice for a replacement. I love everything, hate nothing. Favorite feature is probably the very convenient selector switch. Choosing this over my considerably more expensive Gibson SG, this wins out 100% of the time. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.6 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014