Damien-7 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 08/22/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Damien-7
The Schecter Damien 7 string's 26.5" extended scale is designed for heavy drop-tuned tuning, tone and clarity. Features include a Basswood body, Maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard with 24 extra jumbo frets, EMG HZ 7A pickup set and more! Black finish, black hardware and black pearl bat inlays compliment the Damien's aggressive sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 9.4
reviews (5) pictures (1) 36 comments vote for this gear:
Damien-7 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2006

Purchased from: World of Music

Features: It's a 7-string guitar which was made in Korea in 2005. It has a basswood body with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard, with 24 XJ frets and a neck scale of 26.5" with string-thru body. It has passive EMG HZ-7 pickup, comparable to the HZ (H4A) pickups for 6 strings. It has volume and tone-controle and a 3-way pickup switch. The finish is black satin and it has black pearl bat inlays. // 9

Sound: The sound delivered by the EMG's is really good. Especially when playing with distortion it has a really deep, dark sound. Obviously one of the main reasons for buying this guitar is the 7th string, the B-string. This gives a really awesome low sound, allmost basslike, but then with lots of ditstotion (especially you tune it A# wich I do most of the time). The clean sounds it produces are allright, but nothing special. It's good for rock as well, since it can deliver a great crunchy sound, but its best for playing metal. I usually play all kinds of death and trash metal, like Arch Enemy and Nevermore but also heavy metal like Metallica and Pantera. I play it usually on my Line 6 Spider II 30 watt, wich makes is sounds really good. But when I connected it to the Engl Fireball of a friend of mine, that was awesome. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it it was in a good state, only the finish had a little flaw at the edge of the body, but nothing too bad. The pickups were a little bit too low and the strings on the guitar looked a little worn. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing this guitar for some months now, and even though I'm not always really carefull with my guitars sometimes, the guitar is still exactly in the same condition as I bought it. It is a really solid guitar, it has a solid bridge and nut I think I'll be able to use it for many years to come. Only the cable entrance on the guitar was a bit loose after a couple of weeks of playing, but that problem was fixed sonn enough with a screwdriver and it hasnt been a problem now for a long time. I'd say its absolutely fit for live playing. Its just a very sturdy, durable guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: This is really a great metal-guitar. It's so durable, it feels like you can do anything with it. When playing metal the B-string is just absolutely awesome. One thing though: it really takes some time to get used to the extended neck scale (26.5" instead of 25.5") but it's worth the effort. // 9

Damien-7 Reviewed by: BassGuitarGod, on january 28, 2008

Features: It's 2007 model and it was made in South Korea. It's double octave (24 frets), with a thin style neck, extra jumbo frets, and is a 26.5 inch scale. It has a flamed maple top and a basswood body with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. It has a black satin finish on a super-Strat styled body. It also is a fixed Tone Pro's string through style bridge. It comes stock with EMGHz Passive 7A's in the bridge and neck. It comes with one volume and one tone knob with a three way pickup selector. The tuners are locking Grovers. The only extra things I got with the guitar was some picks and a set of strings. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal, with a little more Clapton-ish stuff thrown in the mix and with the correct settings, this guitar couldnt fit those better in my dreams. I run my guitars into my little Marshall MG10CD for practice and through all my DigiTech stuff into my Crate 65GLX for band practices and gigs. I use it with a lot of gain normally and through my wah and phaser during the majority of solos. This guitar can do anything from the heaviest Meshuggah-esque riffs all the way to the other side of the spectrum and hit the classical stuff amazingly. It does however tend to be somewhat noisy due to the passive electronis but has a rich, heavy tone when on the bridge, but when set on the neck has the most amzing higher register. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar itself was well setup in the factory. The action was just barely to high and the picksups came right where they need to be. The top was very closely matched but you can only tell a slight mismatch if your eye is touching the guitar. The bridge was routed perfectly. the guitar had no other major problems other than the action being a little high and the very slightly mismatched top. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can definitely withstand gigging. This thing is bulletproof. The hardware will last for a good long while. The strap buttons are amazingly solid, I've been playing it for 3 months now and the strap hasn't come off once yet. I could definitely depend on it and would gig without a backup. The finish is godly, I've smaked this things against walls, fell offstage with it and it will fight whatever hits it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play speed metal and this is a perfect match considering my biggest influence is Jeff Loomis of Nevermore. I've been playing roughly three years now and own one other Schecter (C7-FR), a Fender Strat, a Squier Precision Bass, and a Spector Custom 5-string. The amps I use are a Crate 65GLX for gigs, a Marshall MG10CD for practice, and for my basses I use and Ampeg BA-112 50 watt. I use DigiTech, Dunlop, and MXR effects pedals. There's nothing I wished I would've asked before buying this guitar because it's honestly better than what I thought it would be. I love that it's a fixed bridge because two-point and Floyd Rose stlye tremolos are very rough on tuning and string wear and tear. However, I hate that it has EMG passives because I'm a Seymour Duncan active type of player. My favorite feature is the Grover locking tuners. The one thing I wish it had is Seymour Duncan actives of any sort, preferrably Blackouts though. // 9

Damien-7 Reviewed by: PopPunkPotHead, on december 04, 2008

Price paid: C$ 420

Purchased from: Dude on the internet

Features: Features are simple, 26.5" scale and 7 strings. Sweet finish (think stealth bomber) and nice bat inlays. Passive EMGHz pickups in both positions. Basswood body(but surprisingly heavy) and maple neck. 24 fret rosewood fretboard w/ Bat inlays. String thru bridge. Vol, tone, and 3 way switch. // 8

Sound: This thing does exactly what I want it to. It gives me all the heavy I could dream of. I play a lot of Nevermore style metal, and this is just great for that. I have a love/hate relationship with the pickups though, as THEY HAVE NO TONE (well at least very little), but they are very articulate and never mess the notes together while riffing on the lower strings. But keep in mind I have yet to change the strings to my favorite GHS Boomers, so they may react a little differently to different strings. The guitar overall has a very full sound to it, but seems to be lacking color in it's sound. As I got it, the guitar is quite capable of doing most styles of rock/metal as long as you can resist the low B string. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: All Fantastic when I got it. And considering I got the shipping box from the guy, I doubt he did too much to it. I was amazed at how easy this guitar was to play within minutes of picking it up. This guitar is simple, no frills and even if it needed a setup, would be done in minutes. As long as there's no floyd involved setting up a guitar isn't hard. I was more concerned with the quality of the build rather than the factory setup and It didn't dissapoint. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing just screams quality from the first second you touch it. I was very impressed with the tuning pegs and everything feels solid overall. I believe that it could be dropped without much worry and would not be afraid to gig w/o a backup. I heard very good things about Schecter's quality many times before and now I can say it's true. This things a tank // 10

Overall Impression: For what I wanted this guitar for, It's great. It is my first 7 string and could probably be my last, because it will definitely last. I would buy this guitar again if I could get another deal on it. I hate to say it but I am thinking about real active EMG817/707 set because maybe they would have more tone but with the same definition and attack. Maybe some of the SD Blackouts phase II or whatever one fits in the big ass pickup slot. I would love to say my favorite feature is the B string, But hell it's a 7 string. I'm gonna have to say my favorite feature is the overall quality of the build. It's been a while since I felt like I really got My moneys worth. // 10

Damien-7 Reviewed by: Rocker_Mike, on december 17, 2009

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This I bought just earlier this year. It was made in 2009 in China (the only thing I'm not a fan of). The neck is maple, bolted onto the mahogany body, which is finished flat black. The neck is adorned with a rosewood fingerboard, 24 frets, and black mother-of-pearl bat inlays, which I find to really add to the overall aesthetic of the guitar. The pickups are EMG HZ-7's which aren't all that great, but as for a guitar under 500, I'm willing to take them. The strings are thru-body with a Tune-O-Matic style bridge keeping the strings stable. On the other end of the strings, Grover tuners are keeping the strings taut. I think for the price, this is a feature-laden guitar, and it's got a really nice, dark, but simple aesthetic quality to it. That being said, it's not top-of-the line, but that's to be expected. // 9

Sound: I play many styles of music, but I am mostly a metaler, and specifically death metal along the lines of Cannibal Corpse and Whitechapel. I also play some Lamb Of God, Slayer, Metallica, Gojira, and even a little bluesy rock and classic rock. I will say that the sound that the EMG HZ's in the Damien puts out is nothing but SUPER HEAVY. But with that, you have almost NO tone, so that's where it suffers. Being a death metaler for the most part, I don't have too many complaints as far as my main playing style goes. As far as cleans are concerned, the sound is about average. No wows, but no boos here. Light overdrive blues soloing, though, it is sub-par, but what do you expect with a sheer-metal guitar? You can't have everything. I would give it a 10 for metal, a 7 for cleans, and a 4 for light overdrive-distortion type stuff like classic rock and blues, so the overall is an 8 because I play mostly metal. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm going to say that Schecter really makes a good product for a miniscule amount of money comparatively to most other companies out there, and the playability of their instruments is amazing. Out of the box, I just had to tune the guitar, and I could play. The action was perfect, the pickups were set at the right height. The finish was flawless when I got it, but I will say that I've worn a spot on it where my palm rests from all the palm muting I do. It took a little while to get used to that extra B-string but that's to be expected. Everything about this guitar out of the box was basically perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar's a tank, seriously. I have already done my fair share of abuse to it, and nothing has happened to it. There's a tiny chip on the finish on the back from my belt buckle, and there's a dent in the side of the neck from where one of the guys I was jamming with ran his guitar into mine accidentally. I would definitely gig with this without backup, and I have. There's nothing wrong with this guitar as far as reliability and durability goes. // 10

Overall Impression: Being an extreme metaler, this is probably the best guitar I've played for under 800. I have been playing extremely hard for a solid two years, and I have only a small amount of gear as of now, being dirt poor. I have a Washburn X12 which I LOVE, a Carvin SX200 combo amp (best solid state combo for less than 500, hands down), a Boss DS-1 Distortion, which I use just for rock, and a MXR Phase 90 from the 1980's. The only thing I would change about it was instead of the HZ's, there needs to be Seymour Duncan Blackouts in this baby. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy another in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even think about buying anything else because I can't survive without having this guitar around, even if I had another 7 string. It's like that blanket you never give up that you've had since childhood, you'll always have it with you until the day you die. If you're thinking of a well-featured 7-string on a budget, don't think about anything else, buy this guitar. // 10

Damien-7 Reviewed by: Akula KO, on august 22, 2013

Features: Made in 2007 in South Korea, I bought this guitar 2nd hand in Tokyo. It has 24 jumbo frets, maple bolt-on neck with rosewood fingerboard, 26.5" scale length, solid top, basswood superstrat style body with a string-through bridge. The pickups are passive EMG-HZ7. Th controls consist of 1 tone knob, 1 volume knob and a 3-way selector. Finally the inlays are these awesome looking flying bats and small white dots on the side of the neck (facing the guitarist). The tuners are Grover tuners. As it came 2nd hand no accessories were included though I did get a used hard case with it. // 8

Sound: I like Metal, specifically riff based stuff. Thus the B string comes in handy for really heavy riffing. The EMG HZ7 pickups are good as far as stocks go but EMGs specialty is actives and if this guitar had EMG 707s in it then it would be perfect. As it is now though it's satisfactory and the nicest stock pickups I've experienced for around this priced guitar. I use a Roland Cube 40XL amp and it works well obviously but I only use it in a home environment. For gigs, I don't know. I can compare it to my Epiphone Explorer and certainly this Schecter is more dominant and impressive in sound. Cleans are average really. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Created in 2007 it has been around for 6 years played by who knows but apart from some obvious cosmetic damage it's fine. Whomever owned it cared for it; that or it's just a really tough guitar! The pickups were low and the adjustment screw was stuck so that had to be changed but the neck was perfect even with a low action. The tuners were still firm and holding, the electronics were fine and the knobs were fine too. The wood of the guitar wasn't discoloured nor damaged. The neck is still very smooth and fast. No rust, no problems (besides the screw). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Oh yes, this is a guitar worth the investment! I can see this lasting a long time. Like I said it's already 6 years old there doesn't seem to have been any replacement of any of the parts. I would feel confident playing this in a situation where a quality instrument is needed. Obviously if you play live have a backup. But if this guitar became unplayable then it would be because of my own fault and not from a design or quality flaw. The finish isn't the most beautiful (just being generic black) but I don't care since I like having a guitar that looks worn. The only changes I will eventually make will be swapping the pickups for some active EMGs and putting strap-locks on. I plan on keeping it as my permanent 7 string so might as well invest! // 10

Overall Impression: I basically just needed a 7 string and I bought this, admittedly, on holiday on spur of the moment but having researched later I see that it was the best buy I could have done considering I only had like $500 to spend. If I could I would have rather had a ESP LTD Stephen Carpenter Signature or even one of the Ibanez 7 strings as I'm not actually a Schecter fan. If I lost it I would actually just save up for a Stephen Carpenter Signature but that's only because I am an ESP fan and I love Deftones. It's no commentary on this guitar. It's a great guitar. I love that this guitar feels solid, tough, built to last and do it's job. It's a basic, quality 7 string. Change the pickups to real EMG actives and it's great! // 8

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014