Damien-FR Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 06/05/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Damien-FR
The Schecter Damien FR features a Basswood body, Maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard with 24 extra jumbo frets, EMG's popular H4 H4A pickup set, Floyd Rose Licensed Tremolo and more! Black finish, black hardware and black pearl bat inlays compliment the Damien's aggressive sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 8.2
reviews (16) pictures (1) 99 comments vote for this gear:
Damien-FR Reviewed by: Patrick2489, on august 02, 2006

Purchased from: Creative Entertainment

Features: This guitar is made in the USA so if you ever have problems with it you will get quick service (not like you're going to have any). It came with a lifetime warranty. It's a 24 fret. The neck is maple. And the body is basswood. The controls that are given are 3-way selector, volume nob and tone nob. the pickups are EMGhz FH4/H4. The guitar came with a case, a cord, several picks, and 50 dollars store credit. The guitar has very cool bat inlays, they are kind of a charcoal/pearl color. // 10

Sound: It suits any type of music style, it plays really good with rock/metal and anything in between. It can play alternative rock as well as emo style rock (you know the acoustic sounding stuff). It sounds best, however; when you play rock. I'm using a pretty crappy amp but I use a DigiTech Hot Head rock distortion pedal. It really makes it sound a lot better. My next investment is a good amp. I did play on a friends amp and it sounds amazing he had a Line 6 (I'm not sure of the model sorry). It has very full sounds and a very bright sound if you get the settings correct on it. As I said earlier the guitars sound is great. Probly some of the best you will hear. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up great in the factory. The pickups are perfectly aligned and adjusted. The bridge is properly routed and the top is properly bookmatched. The guitar contained 0 flaws. the finish was perfect, no rust, no loose tuning pegs, no loose controls, and the quality of the wood is great! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definitely withstands live playing and all of the knobs/pickups and all of the hardware is lasting. Its lasted through several gigs and it hasn't faultered yet. The strap buttons are very solid so you never get the feeling(or even have it happen) where the guitar slips off the strap. I can depend on this guitar anytime. I never bring a back up except for one of my 7 strings that I play a couple songs with. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is "bad-ass". It has played any type of music that I have wanted to play and it has always sounded great. I've been playing for about 6 years now and this is by far the best guitar I have ever owned. If I ever had this guitar stolen I would definitely go out and get another without even looking at any of the new guitars out there. My favorite thing about it is how great it sounds. My favorite feature is probly the bat inlays. They are pretty sweet. There is really nothing I hate about it. I love it all and you should definitely go out and get this guitar, especially if you like playing rock. // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: spoonylove90, on february 21, 2007

Features: My model is an 05. It came with the HZ passive emgs but I recently changed them to a Dimebucker and a '59. It's solid basswood and the maple neck is fast and true. The rosewood fingerboard is warm sounding and keeps your fingers moving fast. The Floyd Rose is troublesome for many but I think it's fantastic. Dive bombs and Dime Squeals are a must in my repertoire and without the Floyd I'd be constantly tuning. It has a master volume and tone although mine are usually just left all the way up. Grover tuners also add to this guitar long list of awesome features. The three way Switch is Standard enough on a lot of guitars bit it works so I don't care. The satin finish is gorgeous but shows everything, so it's a bit annoying. The Locking not is maybe the only thing I dislike. I know it helps but it's the only part of the guitar that I find painstaking and a bit annoying. Also I personally like the Strat style guitars too so it all works out for me. Overall astounding though! // 10

Sound: I play metal and some rock so this guitar is perfect for me. The stock emgs were nice but I wanted for high end in the bridge and smoothness in the neck. I used the stock pups for about a year and a half and loved them but then I palyed a razorback and loved that configuration. I use a Crate GFX 212 and it screams through it. The signal stays strong through my Dunlop Original Crybaby too. That just tells me the electronics are tried and true. I'd give the sound on this guitar a 9 only because the bass can get a bit unruly at higher volumes due to the density of the wood. I'd say this guitar is mote suited for metal but can produce the rich sounds of some good ol classic rock. Jazz and softer things might not be the best decision though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory this guitar was set up very well. Schecter used to put GHS boomers on their guitars and I can't stand those. I immediately put Ernie Ball light top heavy bottom strings on and they work just fine. The finish was flawless out of the factory and all the hardware was spotless. The bridge was perfect and the neck wasn't dry at all. The pickups were at a good height and the volume from them was just right. The top was matched well and everything looked in order. The pots were all clean and no scratching could be heard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've never gigged per se but I have played in my school band with it "live" and it was ok. I beat the hell out of it though. I play just as hard as I would Live and it takes it with pleasure. The hardware is set up very solidly and I would trust it no matter what. I wouldn't gig without another guitar anyway but this one in particular due to the floyd. The strap buttons on my previous Schecter were terrible so I expected the worst but was quite surprised. They are tight and never give way. The finish is satin so it shows everything from scratches to dust. You decide if that's reliable or not. I'm giving it a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: If this guitar was stolen I would kill myself. I have an LTD EC-1000 with "real" EMGs and my Schecter is my main guitar by far. This is my fifth year playing and I am really happy with what I've got. I might paint it a satin white but I am still undecided on that. That is really the only thing I wish was different on this guitar. If I were to compare it to another guitar I'd say and LTD KH something. it's best feature is No Doubt it's neck. it's so fast and I just play better with it. No Doubt there. it's worst feature is it's finish but the satin is a really cool thing for me. Overall a great value. In addition to the 550 I paid I've put in about another 150 bucks in pups and general maintenance. // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: CSoup369, on june 24, 2008

Features: I bought it in late 2007. It was made in the USA. This 24-fret beast includes Floyd Rose tremolo and EMG H4 bridge and H4A neck pickups. Volume, Tone and a 3-way selector. It has an arched basswood body, bolt-on rock maple neck and a fast, slim rosewood fingerboard. All of this topped off with beautiful satin black finish and bat inlays. // 10

Sound: I play a wide range of music from classical to classic rock to metal and the Damien sounds amazing every time. Played through a Line 6 Spider III 30-watt it can sound great on the clean channel but it has an amazing aggressive sound when distorted. Sweep Picking, tapping and pinch harmonics are simple to pull off and sound great on it. If I were to describe it briefly though, I would say that it is versitile but not powerful. I would have preferred better pickups such as EMG 81 and 85. If I could afford it, I would upgrade to the Schecter Hellraiser, but for the price you can't beat the Damien-FR. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar there seemed to be nothing wrong with it. Everything was aligned perfectly, the pickups were adjusted correctly and the bridge and top were how they should be. There was not one flaw with this guitar when I had bought it. The Action, fit and finish gets a 10 because the Damien looks flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's very reliable and durable. I've dropped it a few times and it still plays like it's new. I have only had one problem with it so far and that is that you can't abuse the tremolo because it tends to fall out (which isn't really a big deal.) The strap buttons are perfect, so with strap locks you don't have to worry about it breaking away from you. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I give it a 10 because it's a near flawless gem that sounds great and only costs $400. The only things that I don't love are the pickups, which I would have preferred to be more powerful, but that doesn't change the fact that they sound more than decent in most situations. Also, tuning is a pain in the ass. What really made me love this guitar was the neck. The 24-fret thin maple neck is beautiful, comfortable, fast and durable. Compared to my Epiphone, the neck on the Damien-FR is a gift from god. So, if you know an amazing deal when you see it and don't mind using a wrench every time you feel like playing in lower tuning, buy this guitar. // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: fisher67, on august 02, 2007

Purchased from: Guitar Centre

Sound: My other guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul, which is great for playing bluesy, rythmic melodies. However, when playing fast metal, it falls behind. The Damien FR was perfectly designed for speed, accuracy, and hard playing. It's improved my technique so much since I bought it. I hook it up to a Traynor TRM40 with a Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal, and it sounds pretty wicked. With the presence setting and treble up pretty high, you get a really sharp, clean, distorted sound. You can get great dive bombs out of this thing, and if you hook it up to a wah pedal, you can have a lot of fun with that and the trem bridge getting it to scream. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up quite well, despite the fact that I had some initial problems with it. Pickups are fantastic and perfectly balanced. My main issue was the fact that the whammy bar actually fell out of the bridge, and then screws fell out after when I had done nothing to make that happen. // 6

Reliability & Durability: After jamming with some friends, I found out that this guitar is great in that situation. Minus the whammy bar problem, the guitar is extremely durable. The locked tuners are great if you do a lot of dive bombing and trem stuff. The finish is excellent, no marks to speak of. Fingerprints sometimes rub off on it, though, so I'd advise anyone getting this guitar to get some sort of special cleaning spray to polish it every now and again. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said before, for playing metal and hard rock, this guitar is fantastic. It can go from deep, menacing chords one second to shrieking harmonics the next. It is easy to reach the high frets because of the body's shape, which helps for arpeggios and things of that nature. I've been playing for about five and a half years now, and this is my third guitar and couldn't be happier about my purchase. If it were stolen, I would get another one in a heartbeat. It has truly made me a better player and opened up a lot of new genres to me. My favourite feature on it has to be the Floyd Rose trem bridge - it's flawless. It takes some getting used to in that it's always right under your hand, but once you do get used to it, it becomes your best friend. The only thing that is annoying about it is the locked tuners. It's great because it never goes out of tune, but to get it to Drop-D or another altered tuning, I have to take a screwdriver to it and perform a miracle. Otherwise, it's got everything one would want in a metal guitar. It's fast, it's easy to play, and it's got a really comfortable feel. Overall, I would definitely recommend it without hesitation. // 9

Damien-FR Reviewed by: Zeroxsk8er1, on november 26, 2007

Features: I Don't really know when this guitar was made, but I got it in fall of 2006. It has a satin black finish, arched basswood body, bolt-on rock maple neck, rosewood fingerboard with extra-jumbo frets. EMG H4 bridge and H4A neck pickups. 25-1/2" scale, Floyd Rose locking tremolo, black hardware, and black pearl bat inlays give it lots of attitude. It also has Grover tuners. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds great for its price in my opinion. I'm currently using it through a Crate XT120R Watt amp, and the sound is awesome. I mostly play metal, and solos, this guitar does the job! It gives a rich crunchy metal sound, and I allways take it to band practice, it give barely any feedback when I use it. The EMG pickup is really good, this guitar is mainly for metal, but it could also be used for clean sounds with a Marshall, and it's also good for harmonics and tapping. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I ordered my guitar from Schecter. When it came it was already set up to play! My guitar allways stays in tune, even when I don't have the tunerlocks in! The guitar was a little heavy but I don't really care about that. The pickups where set perfect, the guitar didn't have anything wrong with it. The only thing I messed with is, the floyd rose set up, I'm really picky about that so that was just really me. And the neck is really awesome and smooth. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I always take this guitar to my band practice and it hasn't messed up once. I've had this guitar over a year now and I still love it since I first got it. I haven't taken this for a gig yet, but I think it will do the job without a backup, the Strat buttons are really good it has only fallen on me once but I moving around so it was my fault. This guitar was meant to last! // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of vaeraty of music from Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden to Dethklok, As I Lay Dying. It's really good for solos and rhythm. I like this guitar better than my friend's 600 dollar Jackson Rhoads. I love this guitar, and if it were to get stolen I'd buy one imediatly. I love the emgs, Floyd Rose, the inlays, grover tuners. This guitar is worth way more than it's sold for (at least I think so). This guitar is worth every penny. // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2008

Features: It has grover tuners, liscenced Floyd Rose, EMG HZ pickups. It has 24 extra jumbo frets, a basswood body, a maple neck, and a rosewood or ebony fret board, I can't remember. It's made in Korea, but its fine regardless. It has a double cutaway with a somewhat contoured body that makes it look really elegant. // 8

Sound: I bought it in early 2006 back in my metalhead days and now I play mostly blues/classic rock/fusion. It suited me then and it suits me now, though I want a Strat pretty badly, this can nail tones that a Strat could only dream of. It looks super hardcore, but it can play some of the softest clean stuff you have ever heard with a little tweaking of the volume and tone. I use a Fender hot rod deville, a ds-1, and a Vox wah and it works perfectly with them, though I'm probably gonna get a stronger distortion. It's sounds is kind of dark, but it is completely noiseless with a very full sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It wasn't in tune right away from the factory and it didn't come with the right alan wrenches at first but Guitar center gave me the right ones. Everything else was perfect. The finish is matte black and can turn people off who like gloss, but it's awesome. I would probably re paint it if I could. The action is easier to adjust than tuning, and there was no problems with it at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes! This guitar can go to hell and back again. The only problem was a strapbutton that came out but I was able to put it back in using some cotton. The locking nut gets annoying, so I just keep it loose and just retune everytime I whammy. I still only retune about once every week-3 weeks. Everything else is a minor adjustment. I have gigged with it, I have had people knock it over, and I have dropped it, and it has minimal markings. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is probably the greatest choice I ever made. It is metal enough for metalheads, but because the pickups are passive, you can play clean pretty well. I was thinking about an Ibanez until I saw this and I was sold. The coolest part about it is definitly the inlays! They are sweeeeet, but in all seriousness this guitar is great for veterans and beginners. // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: Airace, on march 25, 2008

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: The Schecter Demon - Floyd Rose edition is an impressive guitar, with a satin black finish and gothic Cross inlays set this guitar apart as a metal machine. The body itself is a unique take on the statocaster style and was made from solid mahogany, while the neck is a three piece maple with a rose wood fingerboard. Duncan designed active humbucking pickups suit the design perfectly and are controlled one tone, volume and a 3way selector Switch which seem to function nicely. The only thing I would have liked to see was a set-thru neck but atthe price I'm not complaining. // 9

Sound: I've been playing for about two years now and like to play some alternative, hard rock, little bit of metal and just a touch of emo. It looks good and plays better, I use it with a Peavey bandit 112 2008, and it sounds amazing I've been able to get a nice range of tones and I absolutely love it, the guitar has been able to adapt to every sound I've wanted. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory Setup was beautiful but I will still be taking it in for some fine tuning it was one of the nicest guitars in the store and I have not found a single problem problem so far the finish is nicer than the gloss and hides scratches and grime really well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As Far as I can tell this guitar will go for a ver long time though I hven't used it at a gig but I would totally trust it without a backup. And the srap buttons are a little oversized and seem to have a very slid grip though I would still use locking buttons if I was going to be thowing my guitar around. // 10

Overall Impression: If this guitar was stolen I would probably buy it again as it is exactly what I was looking for and the price was amazing, I compared to several ESPs A PRS and a few Ibanes and fenders and I was impressed as it was better than several $1000 guitars. All in all I really like this guitar, and have since recomended it to some very close friends we're going for one more on saturday. // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: fagelamusgtr, on june 23, 2008

Features: When I was looking into this guitar, I didn't think I was actually going to end up getting it. But then the local guitar store had its annual sale and I picked it up reletively cheap. The guitar itself has 24 Jumbo frets, which are situated ontop of a maple and rosewood body. The body is made out of basswood. The finish I got was satin black, which looks so awesome. It is a Strat style body. My favorite feature is its Floyd Rose. However, it is a licensed and not an original. The pickups are passive. They are EMGhz FH4/H4 set. They give of a powerful low sound and can give off great high sounds. There is one volume and one tone control given and a 3-way selector. The guitar came with an extra spring, a cable and a few allen wrenches for the floyd. // 10

Sound: This guitar is great for metal and rock. I'm using it mainly through a Kustom 65 DFX and an exotic boost pedal. It sounds beastly. Depending on how the amp is set, it can make so many different noises. It is really easy do to dive bombs on it. However, for me, the leads lack a little punch. But that goes away when I'm playing with the band and I have the volume up. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came perfectly set up. The action was a bit low, but that didn't take long to fix. The bridge was routed perfectly, leaving plenty of room for using the floyd. It had no flaws to it. But that's what you get when you get a Schecter. A great guitar at a great price. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will be perfect for live playing. The only reason I would bring a back up is because of the Floyd Rose. The hardware seems like it will last a life time. The strap buttons won't be giving out any time soon. Because of the color of the finish, it doesn't really scratch and the finish hasn't come off at all yet. The biggest reasons I would bring a back up guitar to a gig with this is because strings break and because it takes to long to change tuning. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and hard rock. Before I even bought this guitar, I know it would fit well. And it has. I've been playing for 3 years now. And about a year ago I won (yes, that's right) a Schecter C-1. So I know Schecter would be a great fit to my style. The only thing I wished I asked about was if the pickups were active or passive, because I perfer actives. I abosultely love the Floyd Rose. It's the main reason I got the guitar. I campared it to a Schecter Hellraiser FR and a Washburn X40. I chose this one becuase I'm not made of money. I only wish it had an original Floyd Rose, for parts if it gets damaged. Overall, I highly recommend this guitar for people in the intermediate to advanced skill level. This guitar ain't no toy. So don't get it as your first guitar. So give this guitar a play at a local store. I guarentee you'll like it. // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: jakewynnrocks, on august 18, 2008

Features: This guitar is freakin amazing. I'm pretty sure it was made earlier this year (2008). It was manufactured in South Korea but set up in the USA. It has 24 jumbo frets with a rosewood fretboard with charcoal-pearl bat inlays. It has a matte black finish, which looks amazing. It has a normal double cutaway Strat shaped body. It comes with a Floyd Rose bridge. The pickups are passive EMG-HZ's. It has two knobs, one for tone and one for volume. It has a locking nut with Grover tuners, with fine tuners on the bridge. I got a free case with it, but it didn't come with an allen wrench, which disapointed me. // 10

Sound: The sound is freakin amazing. It sounds it's best playing metal, but has unending capabilities. I run it through a DigiTech Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion, which is also intensly amazing, and then into some old Dean Markley head, but it still sounds amazing. It doesnt't give off any buzzing at all. The variety of sounds is great, I mostly change the settings on my pedal instead of the guitar, but it works well with whatever I play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up very well. Everything is perfectly aligned. The action is amaazingly low. The innotation is perfect. Everything is perfectly routered. Nothing was out of place, no rust, nothing loose, the finish looks perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can stand through anything I throw at it. The straplocks hold the strap very well, I've never had a problem with that. The hardware is still as perfect as the day I bought it. I would always bring a backup to a gig just because anything could happen, but I can still rely on the Damian as my number one choice. The finish is still perfect, enough touching of the finish can create some smudges, but they can easily be cleaned off. // 10

Overall Impression: The impression is amazing. I mainly play hard rock, metal, and a litle bit of prog, and it suits them all perfectly. I've been playing for about three and a half years and this is one of the best guitars I have ever played. The only other guitar I have is the really cheap one I got from my dad for christmas when I first started playing. That one doesnt't even compare to this one. I have no regrets about buying this guitar what'soever, I can't find one thing I don't like about it. If it were stolen, I would find the freak that stole it, brutally beat him, and yeah. But if I couldnt find it, I would definately buy this one again, I would always look around to see if there was anything else that I liked. I love everything about this guitar. The whammy is just perfect, and with the locking nut it doesnt't go out of tune. The only thing I dislike about it is changing the strings on the Floyd Rose. My favorite features are the sweet inlays, the matte black finish, the looks definately compliment the sound. The only thing I wish it had is active pickups, which I hope to put in as soon as I get the time and money. This guitar is so good for the money. // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 15, 2008

Features: I have had the Damien Shecter for about a year now and I can say I am very happy with it's performance. I'm pretty sure it is a Tex/Mex but can't be certain. I got the FR because it would be my first and I thought it would give it some extra flare (and locks the tune perfectly). Mine had a satin finish with a rosewood neck. I really like the rosewood neck and it is actually my preferred neck but the satin finish looks very nice at first but within a few weeks I saw every speck of dust and every little micro fiber of dust. It is one of the only downfalls to the guitar because to keep it in preteen condition it would need regular cleaning. It has a Volume and one tone knob (the volume adjusts the amount being picked up more than actually bumming down the sound another flaw because it does not pick up the harmonics as much with out getting the cherished scratching of the pick and slide of the fingers). All in all I think that the guitar is beautiful and if you have to sell the diminished EMG-mz and get some actives and that solves the pick up problem. // 8

Sound: Like I said it is a little on the noisy side (with distortion turned on) but the rose wood accents all of the chord progressions and arpeggios. With this particular guitar I try to stay on the heavy side of music style but that dose not mean it is limited to it in any way; with out the distortion on the EMG-mz sound amazing for more of a classical rock ballad (aka stair way to heaven). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I may never know exactly were I got it from but man! Did it come in great condition everything sounded perfect I picked it up and could not let it go 10/10 for production. It looks nice because it has such little details that stand out like the custom frets and the famous head. // 10

Reliability & Durability: For the reliability and durability I have not had any issues as of yet (knock on wood) but one of the flaws is definitely you need to either order it with a locking strap or install one. Because I will tell you right now if you do not have locks put on it will fall. I have had hundreds of close calls and when it came time for me to do gigs I definitely bought locks. // 9

Overall Impression: I very much like it and I have not had any major problems (again (knock on wood)) but it definitely needs the locks no joke. It has not caused me any trouble on stage or at home on the couch. I definetly recommend this guitar. But you need the locks (I can't stress that enough! // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: lpk12321, on october 16, 2008

Features: This guitar has 24 frets, rosewood fretboard, bolt on neck, black pear bat inlays, solid top, black finish, actual Floyd Rose bridge, grover tuners, EMG hz passive pick-ups, locking nuts, and really smooth neck. I ordered mine online so it came with a cable. It has 1 volume and 1 tone control and a 3 way pick-up selecter. // 9

Sound: This guitar can suit pretty much any music style. You can play clean music to blues to metalcore. It sounds good when you sweep pick when you put it on the neck pick-up. I use my Line 6 spider iii and a dan electro distortion pedal with it which makes this guitar pretty noisy. That can be fixed with a sound killer(which I don't have). The neck pick up is noisier than the bridge pick up. It has pretty good sustain. It can hold a note for a while even if the amp is on like 1 or 2. All in all, I'd say the sound this thing produces is pretty good. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was perfect when I got it. It was already tuned and had new strings and everything. The action is a little higher than normal but I like it. The pick-ups were a little dusty but that wasn't a problem. So the guitar was pretty perfect when I got it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is perfect for live playing. I would use it for a back-up since my only other guitar is a cheap warlock but it'd be better to have a backup. The hardware and strap buttons are stable and Brand New. I've had this guitar for 5 months now. The finish is not even scratched and it doesn't get smeared. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal but some times I play blues and play around with clean chords and stuff. I've been playin for a bout a year and a half. I have spiderr iii amp, fab distrotiion, weeping Demon wah, and a Bronze Warlock. I love this guitar but I'd probably get a more expensive guitar if this one got lost or stolen. My favorite feature is the Floyd Rose. It can hold tune and play sick dive bombs. So this is a great guitar for a cheap price. // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: soxfan121292, on march 17, 2010

Features: I bought this guitar around Christmas 2007, $100 off at guitar center:). Made in indonesia, I think, don't quote me on that. This monster has a 24 fret, 25.5" scale neck, with SWEET black pearl bat inlays. It has a humbucker-humbucker pickup configuration, with EMGHz H4 and H4A's. Grover tuners(I find a little pointless, considering there's a locking nut), Floyd Rose Licensed tremolo, Bolt-On neck, Basswood Body, there's REALLY not much more you could ask for, outside a neck through version, and active pup's, for $350. Let me say that again, all that for $350! // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal, All That Remains, August Burns Red, thrashy metal stuff of that nature, and this suits it perfectly. The H4A in the neck has crisp, tight, clear tones, and in the bridge, you get a mean snarl, and upper neck squeals. In the middle position, it gets muddy, like a Les Paul, with much more low end, and with the right amp setting, sounds just like Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down. Which brings me to the subject of versatility, the H4 set is similar to the EMG85/81 set, with less bite, which is both good, and bad. Pro's: you can get nicer cleans, and I prefer solo's on the H4 set more, however, everything else on the EMG actives I prefer. A year after I bought this, I got an EMG 85/81 set put in. With that, it makes the already very good H4 set seem like child's play. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The inlays make every guitarist drool, no generic dots, or triangles, BLACK BATS! And the flat black finish, a little dull, however, it's smooth. The action isn't the lowest I've ever played, but, it's very comfortable. The pickups were a little low for my liking straight out of the factory, but, you can't expect everything to be EXACTLY how you want it. I've had this for three years now, and the finish between the pickups where I rest my pinky/ring finger is completely oil stained, and I think I may need to get my neck straightened and refretted, but keep in mind all this stuff after playing 40 minutes +/- a day for three years straight, so don't let those fact discourage you from this guitar, I love this guitar more than I love my mother. Quite lliterally. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely gig this, without a backup. The hardware's three years old and everything works great still. I put a DiMarzio locking strap on, just in case. The finish has been stained, but that's after a good three years of abuse, but I think it's tough enough to sustain all my abuse:). // 9

Overall Impression: Like I mentioned previously, I play 95% metal, so this this is perfect for me. I'm a four year player, and I play this through my Line 6 Spider III 120 Watt. The amp has HORRIBLE distortion, and this thing still shines. And next to my Fender '72 Thinline Telecaster, the Damien is MUCH more versatile. If it were stolen or lost, I would search the WHOLE WORLD, and if I still didn't find it... I'd probably spend the extra dollar on a high end Jackson, Ibanez S series, or an ESP, however, This thing is still Right up there with those high end guitars, if I gig in the future, this is going to be my first choice. The thing I love most, is how comfortable it is, the neck, the body, everything, metaphorically speaking, it's like the sleep number matress of guitars. The worst thing about it is, that it's so heavy, which is weird, because basswood's normally light. My parents gave me a $400 and less range, so, I had little to choose from. All the Jacksons for under 4 were crap, as were most Ibanez's, ESP's especially, Epiphone, there are no gibson's under 400, and any company I didn't mention, I just didn't pay attention to. This guitar had TOO many features for $450(it was $100 off when I bought it, at $350), when I saw it on GuitarCenter.com, I didn't beleive it, I thought it was supposed to be $1350, or they had a misprint. But luckily, it wasn't a misprint. As I grew as a guitarist, my desires grew from this beauty, so I wish it was neck through, or set neck, and a REAL Floyd Rose. Otherwise, it has anything, and everything you could ask for for a live guitar, or studio guitar. // 8

Damien-FR Reviewed by: amwg400, on august 19, 2010

Features: I bought my used Schecter Damien-FR Diamond Series this past June. It has a beautiful basswood body that was made in the U.S. The maple neck was made in South Korea and plays wonderfully. The 24 Xtra jumbo frets make soloing easy and are rather comfortable to play. The inlays are pearl bats set in a rosewood neck that looks completely awesome with the matte black finish on the body. It comes with a pair of awesome EMG-HZ H4 and H4A pickups which sound amazing through my Peavey Vypyr 15 practice amp and anything else I plug it into. It has Grover tuning machines and a Floyd Rose bridge so tuning is kept at a minimum. // 9

Sound: It works great playing anything from Ultra hardcore metal to classical pieces. I play as I said before with a Peavey Vypyr 15 which I use as a practice amp coupled with a DigiTech RP50. There is almost never any background noise unless I add it with effects. Is sounds very big and powerful, very rich. It isn't twangy or sharp sounding. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is beautifully built, the pickups are set great, the FR bridge is astonishingly good, the neck is set very well, and the head fantastic. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will stand just about anything, I've accidentally knocked it off its stand and it landed on the front without any damage at all. The tone and volume knobs are metal and I doubt I could break them in any way no matter how hard I am on them (which I try not to be). The strap pins work great, I haven't had my strap slip off once since I've had it. I would have no problem bring just this guitar to a gig as it is very dependable. I have yet to even scratch the paint on this beauty unlike my LP which scratched within a month so I'm really not worrying about having to repair the finish in any way. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is fantastic, I highly recommend it for any playing style. I've been playing for 4 to 5 years and have owned and played many a guitar, but this Schecter definitely tops even a Gibson LP in my book. If someone stole this guitar I would do all I could to either get it back or get another. I have no regrets in buying it at all. It is a magnificent guitar and would buy a second if I had the money. // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: Izayick, on november 08, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: Its got great pickups, though I wish they were active, a licensed floyd, and a satin finish. Its pretty heavy, shaped kind of like your generic superstrat, and its got grover tuners. Okay, so if I had to complain, like I said, I wish the pickups were active. that's one thing. It seems that the licensed floyd is great, it does what you need it to, but its still just a bit short of being to perfect trem, considering its not actually a floyd, but a licensed copy. The electronics are solid as hell because I've taken this guitar apart at least 6 times, and been quite rough with it each time, while sanding and painting. I've only had to re-solder a couple things, and they were both my mistakes. Great features, great guitar. // 9

Sound: Its great. I believe that the tone of this guitar and the riffs that just flow from it are what helped push my band from pop sounding rock to a more metal scene. I use it with a Line 6 Spider IV half stack, and it screams like the son of Satan. I like the neck pickup sound for solos and lead parts, and the bridge pickup for speedy metal riffs. The bridge pickup helps with impacting on fast picking techniques. There are some intonation problems, around the 15th fret, even when the guitar is set up perfectly, so that's a drawback. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This was my first guitar, so I don't really remember how the action was when I got it. All I remember was I had the worst time trying to restring a floyd when it came time to do so. I had no idea what to do. Aside from troubles with intonation, the guitar came to me pretty much perfect and a pleasure to play. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is ungodly tough. I'd throw it to test, but I don't want to hurt someone because of the weight. All of the hardware is solid, and seems to be built to last. However, the finish, was absolutely horrendous. I had a friend drop a fork on it, and a HUGE chip disappeared from the body of the guitar. I have since taken it apart, sanded it, and painted it and put it back together a total of 6 times, just because I can. The original finish sucked but that's alright considering I really wasn't intent on keeping that satin black anyways. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar fits metal, rock, and when I need it to, I can tame the beast enough for jazz. It's the only guitar I've ever considered playing for any gig of any kind, and it would never let me down. If it was stolen, I'd find the miserable SOB because the paint job is fairly distinct. I would probably get another Schecter if this one disappeared, but a better one than this one, like a Synyster Special or something. I only got a Schecter because Synyster Gates plays one, and now I'm hooked on Schecter. // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay Store

Features: Purchased back in 2008. Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, basswood body. I got it as a factory 2nd but the only thing I found wrong with it was a tiny chip out of the paint next to the Floyd. Even when the Floyd was set up properly and the action was pretty low it concealed it though. So I recommend checking out some factory seconds and B stock guitars. Grover tuners, licensed Floyd rose bridge and EMG HZ pickups. When I bought this guitar I was still in a very early learning stage of playing guitar so the Floyd wasn't such a great choice. But now that I understand how it works it's very easy to maintain and almost never goes out of tune. The bat inlays are a bit cheesy but honestly I'd rather have something cheesy than have symmetrical dots... Plus they blend into the fingerboard so they just kind of glisten under stage lights. It looks pretty cool. The satin paint is pretty cool too. I really love satin paint on guitars. Gloss only really looks cool until you actually play it and then it's covered in smudges and scratches. And for someone who plays lots of shows and is always using his guitars. I'd rather have it still look cool after all of that abuse. // 9

Sound: The EMG HZ's were OK pickups but they are essentially a cheap way of ripping off an EMG 81-85 sound through passive pickups. Definitely a good thing for young players or players not looking to spend a lot of money to get a pretty good metal/rock sound. But not so clear, they actually have a ton of fuzz in them. I replaced the bridge with an 85 and the neck with a 60. It has a ton of aggression for rhythms but still cuts through a mix with a bunch of mids. And the 60 is a little less high gain and thicker sounding so it is fantastic clean for an active. With the new pickups and having finally learned to properly set a Floyd rose this guitar is amazing. It stands it's own and occasionally surpasses my LTD deluxe EC-1000. I've run it through a little Fender 25R, a Pod HD, a Line 6 Spider IV half stack, and currently through a 5150II and a Vox Ice 9 OD. Regardless of what amp I use this thing is great. I even play things like jazz, blues and the like through my neck pickup clean. The only sounds really can't get through my setup are things like funk or country twang. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up pretty well from the factory. Although I had no idea what I was doing at first. Undid the locking nut and started altering my tunings without adjusting my Floyd. Needless to say it started getting pretty fudged up pretty quickly. I can not emphasize enough that you should learn to properly maintain a Floyd before getting into one. Look up videos on Youtube and lessons on Google. That's what I did and after about 3 months of owning the guitar I never had a problem again. And let me tell you, once you get the springs set up once or twice with whatever string gauge and tension you are gonna have, it won't go out of tune and your action can be set super low and you'll still get plenty of clarity and tightness on the strings. Original Floyd rose's are nice. But you really don't need to have one on this guitar if you don't want to. These licensed Floyds are great if you set them up right. In regards to the finish, that satin paint is freaking nice. It doesn't show scratches and it looks really cool in my opinion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Ok this is where this guitar shines. I have had it fall off it's stand and hit it's headstock on a desk. It barely put a tiny dent in it and was still in tune... I have never seen a scratch on the pain anywhere. That satin paint is freaking awesome for that. I replaced the strap buttons with Dunlop straplocks and as long as they've been on there I've never had problems with the strap. And I played this guitar for about 6 months in a metal band and was jumping around and spinning and doing stupid crap just about every night. I even ran into my bassist and vocalist a few times because we didn't see each other. This thing holds up. It looks newer than my EC-1000 and that guitar isn't even a year old. // 10

Overall Impression: It is really a shame that this guitar is no longer being made. But you can still find plenty of them on Ebay or through clearance at local guitar shops. If you do, and you want a good metal or hard rock guitar. Don't pass it up. Unless you already have 4 or 5 900 dollar guitars lying around your house it is worth it. You can pick one up for 250-300 bucks and pop in some new pickups (it comes with mounting rings for the hzs anyways so any kind of Gibson spaced pickup from Dimarzios, EMGS, Duncans to even Bare Knuckles will fit) and it will clear up the tone and make play as well as some of the nicest guitars out there. Seriously. Schecter makes some of the most fantastic guitars I've ever touched. I own a G-400 EPI, this guitar, an ESP SC-207, an ESP EC-1000 and I've played probably hundreds more and this guitar is still one of the best. // 10

Damien-FR Reviewed by: darktahmi21, on june 05, 2012

Purchased from: World Music

Features: Bought this in 2011, looks like it's been made recently. Written made in Korea behind the headstock, got an Shecter Guitars, California, USA on the bolt. This is a beautiful guitar with: - Arched basswood body - Black Satin Finish - Bolt-on rock maple neck - Rosewood fingerboard - 24 Extra-jumbo frets - Floyd Rose Special Tremolo System - 25-1/2" scale - EMG H4 bridge and EMG H4A neck pickups - Black Hardware - Grover Rotomatic 18:1 Tuners - Vol/Tone/3-way Selector - Black Pearl Bat Inlays - Came with Early Ball 10s. // 9

Sound: This guitar can pretty much handle anything you throw at this. The EMG Passives can give you the perfect tones for every song you might want to cover. I have covered Bodom, Metallica, Maiden to RHCP, Bon Jovi, Green Day with it, and it never let me down. The acoustic tone is awesome, got a bit bass to it, and the distortion depth is awesome. But to tell the truth, stage appearance with this guitar strapped on oozes "Metal" out of you. It can play anything you want, but it does look a bit odd in the "looks department" to cover RHCP and Green Day with this. If you're not a metal guitarist, this baby will look odd in your hands. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got this guitar, it was tuned to Standard E, the bridge was set up perfectly, and the action was a bit too low. I had to adjust that, and then everything was fine. Now it is in DGCFAD, plays perfectly fine, and it sounds better in this tuning. The bridge setup is easy, and everything is perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I played several live shows with this guitar, and it could withstand a lot of whammy abuse. It sounds super awesome on stage, better than any guitar I've heard. I personally do a lot of whammy use during live performances, and surprisingly enough, it does stay in tune. In a show in the last song, I broke my low E string, just by whammy abuse, and when I put a new string in, and tuned it, the other strings simply got tuned themselves. This is the proof how good the FR is. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from A7X, Green Day, Led Zeppelin to Metallica, Maiden, Bodom, Megadeth and this guitar suits me perfectly. I LOVE this guitar. And I LOVE the pearl Bat Inlays. Freakin' love them. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Omen-7 7.8 Electric Guitars 12/21/2013