Damien Solo Elite Review

reviews (2) pictures (3) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Damien Solo Elite Reviewed by: enswinchester, on september 02, 2011

Price paid: C$ 330

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: * Construction: Single-cutaway * Body: Mahogany * Neck: Bolt-on maple neck * Scale: 25.5" * Fingerboard: rosewood * Frets: 24 extra-jumbo * Nut: GraphTech tusq * Inlays: Stained cross * Binding: Multi-ply * Bridge Pickup: EMG-81 active humbucker * Neck Pickup: EMG-85 active humbucker * Electronics: Volume/volume/tone/3-way switch * Bridge: TonePros Tune-o-matic with thru-body string mounts * Tuners: Grover * Hardware: Black chrome // 10

Sound: This guitar is a metal machine. Pretty much dead to anything like Jazz, or blues. The EMG 81 sounds fantastic in this guitar, heavy as anything and the combo between the 81 and 85 produce a beautiful sounding clean tone for any kind of metal cleans. The 85 by itself though sounds off, but that's probably just the fact I haven't changed the battery in a while. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it used at Long and McQaude but the guy before me didn't really have much of a clue how to set it up. I bought it and got it home, and had it back within a week for setup. Once it was set up though (I had it setup for C standard, and now its in Drop A#), it was a dream to play. There's not much I can say that's a flaw with this guitar except I find the nobs have a good tendancy to come lose very easily. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with this guitar twice so far, both in big shows. I've brought backups with me simply because I'm a paranoid freakazoid who breaks strings left right and center when I need the guitar the most. However, I've not needed to use backups yet, which means that this guitar can be gigged without a back up for sure. Everything seems to last fairly well on it and the finish is amazing. I've been playing this guitar since April now, and the finish itself hasn't warn or scraped or anything yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal. I play only metal (And some rock, but I have other guitars for that) and this guitar will cover any kind of metal from thrash, to melodic death. From Metallica, to In Flames... This guitar can do everything in between (For metal!). If it was lost, or stolen, I'd be devastated for sure. I got this guitar at a steal price, and since they cost so much new, I'd never be able to afford one again, which would kill me inside. Favorite thing about this guitar, is the EMGs. When I saw the guitar on the rack, it was the EMGs that cought my eye and the rest was just an amazing added bonus. The only thing though that I think would make this guitar ABSOLUTELY GODLY is a set of Locking tuners, and instead of being a string-thru body, have a stop tail piece instead. But when on a low budget, and you see this guitar for real cheap, buy it because you'll never find a better deal on such a metal guitar. // 10

Damien Solo Elite Reviewed by: divinedemise, on may 23, 2012

Features: I'm not too sure on the year or any of that, but let me tell you these things feel nice. The necks are very easy to shred, and this guitar can tune like a Baritone pretty easily. I've only had it a few days so I haven't set it up to my liking, but still 2 days in this is my favorite guitar. As everyone says DAYUM those inlays are sexy, and the trans black solo's look beautiful. Built tough as well, just tossed it in a random non padded soft case in my buddies trunk, drove a half our to shoot a video, and walked about 3 miles with it on my back or being thrown of the ground and it never so much as went out of tune! Only wish it had a vol/tone vol/tone set up not vol/vol/tone. // 9

Sound: The sound is very nice, never had active pickups before but I can't complain. Way punchier than Ibanez Vintage pups. This baby turns my shitty Crate from a fat flubby muddy sumo to a ninja. Through all the eq tweaks I have done this can get a good tone in any style you wish, sound is more so how you play and your nobs though. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Bought used and it was set up by a nimrod. Got it in the mail and the bridge pup was all the way down, while the neck touched the 3 high strings?! After some tweaking though it plays amazingly and it feels very sturdy yet not too heavy as to where it hurts/or you can't jump around like an ape. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Only had it a few days. Beat the shit out of it, and there is no evidence. If only more things were like my Schecter. // 10

Overall Impression: I play technical metal and this works great, I have 5 years under my belt and I am finally getting higher quality gear, and this is definitely high quality on a budget! If it was stolen I'd hunt the dude, or go buy the Hellraiser Solo for the thru neck. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014