Demon Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 07/31/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Demon
This guitar has a great flat black finish on a contoured mahogany body. Comes with 2 "Duncan Designed" HB-105 active pickups. Tone and volume knob. Through body string setup. 24 Jumbo fretts, Gothic Cross inlays. Maple neck, rodewood fingerboard. Tune-O-Matic bridge.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 9.8
 9.6
 8.4
reviews (4) pictures (2) 32 comments vote for this gear:
Demon Reviewed by: Cruel, on september 29, 2008

Features: My Demon's been made in the mid 90s, something around 1995 (which makes it one of the very first models). And since I bought it, it amazes me everyday. The 24-fret, dark sounding mahogany body, smooth maple/rosewood neck and fingerboard, and the part that amazed me the most- Duncan Designed active Humbuckers in a H-H set-up. As far as I know, the Demon is available only in satin black colour, that's the only bad thing about it. I would choose the satin black colour anyday, but when dust gets on it- then we've got a problem, because even a blind person would see it. The tuners are also Schecter's, but they've never dissapointed me, not even a bit. Demon is available with and without (stopbar) Floyd Rose bridge, I own a Floyd Rose version. It holds tune very, very well, maybe that's because Demons are built with a Licensed Floyd Rose as their FR bridges. // 9

Sound: I play mostly prog-metal, prog-fusion but also jazz and sometimes blues. This guitar is able to make sounds matching every of these types of music perfectly. Don't judge the book by it's cover- although 'evil' and 'metal' looking, this guitar is very versatile! The mahogany body and pick-ups, make the sound a little bit darker, but it makes it even better. Incredible sustain, and when it's coupling it's not going to high-pitches like most of the guitars do, it just smoothly makes a great sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was a straight out-of-the-box model. They set it up pretty well at the factory, the action was perfect, the bridge was perfectly set, no flaws at all. The only badly done thing, were the pick-ups. The bridge humbucker was way too low, and had to adjust it just a little bit, but it's not a problem at all, just a matter of minutes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played a couple of serious gigs with my band with the Demon, it never brought me down. The hardware is solid, and I bet it would be still 'almost like new' after letting it fall downstairs. The strap buttons are a pain though, they were poorly nailed untill I actually dealed with them. What do I mean through 'poorly nailed' is - they began to 'move' a little bit after half a year of playing, and I could practically take them out easily by hand. But I've repaired it for 10$, happily, they seem to hold the guitar without any problems since then. I'm 100% sure that it's a very durable guitar that you can rely on. // 9

Overall Impression: My Schecter Demon was one of the first Demon models actually released by Schecter, so I couldn't base on any reviews (since there were none) when I was buying it. But I wasn't dissapointed, I was really amazed! It fits really almost every type of music (especially metal kinds, not suprisingly). If it's been stolen, I wouldn't buy it again.. I would buy the 7-string version of the Schecter Demon! I love the versatility of it, durability and of course the sound. I'd compare it to Petrucci's signature Music Man, I've played on both, and they seem to sound amazingly similiar, although sound is the only thing that links these guitars. // 10

Demon Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 16, 2011

Purchased from: Roland Pro Music - Kolkata

Features: This guitar was made in China. I don't know the year it was made. It has got 24 jumbo frets with "Gothic Cross" inlays and 25.5" Scale. The neck is made of maple with rosewood fingerboard. The neck is neither very thin nor very thick and ends up being very comfortable to play riffs on the lows and superfast shreddings as well beyond the 10th or 12th fret. The body is made of basswood and is very light. This guitar is very solidly built. Mine is matt black. The Bridge is a Floyd Rose Special and stays in tune very well. The best part of the guitar are the pickups, they are Active Duncan Designed HB-105s and are really really awesome. That's it. // 10

Sound: I like to play mostly Metal (know I can't play) and play songs of Bullet For My Valentine, Megadeth, Pantera, Galneryus etc. And the guitar deals them with ease. Until now I had played my Dad's Hobner (whose neck is the thinnest in the world and more thin than Ibanez Prestige models, seriously) which is perfect for playing soft melodies upto Blues. This guitar breathes when I play heavy riffs or shreddings. I use a Boss ME-25 which is the best Processor I've ever played with. I use a Stranger Studio 35 Amp which is also great. However the active pickups also give warm clean tones when pulled back and are very quiet even in high gain amp settings. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up quite high and I had to adjust it myself at home spending 5-6 hours. Now it's perfect for high speed sweep picking and shredding. The pickups are very well adjusted and balanced and as I have said before they are suited for Metal. No flaws found uptil now. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is built like a tank and will survive gigs very well. It is very reliable like our Hobner which is only 22 years old and still blazing and shredding away. I love my new guitar. I did not buy the Ibanez RG350DX which was my other choice because I've heard that the Edge III Temolos are not that good. This tremolo seems to work fine for me with severe dive bombs and squeals. // 10

Overall Impression: This is quite a nice guitar but not very versatile. Just pinch harmonics are a little difficult in this guitar. It suits my playing style very well and will have it till I die along with my Hobner. If it were stolen you will find me in jail because the thief would have been shredded by me. // 10

Demon Reviewed by: ShaneCallaghan, on june 02, 2011

Price paid: € 500

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: I have the 7 string Diamond Demon. It was made in 2008, it's got 24 extra jumbo frets on a 26.5inch scale rosewood fretboard and it's a nice thin/fast maple neck. It's body is made of Basswood, it's got a Floyd Rose trem and I have the 7 string version with the Duncan designed active HB-105 pickups, which I think are just as good as emgs, just without the price. The finish is a matte black, or satin black finish. It has master tone and master volume controls and a 3 way Switch to choose your pickup. The tuners say Schecter on the back so I'm guessing they are own brand, which isn't so bad since Schecter started by making parts for guitars and since it's got the locking nut, they don't really need to hold tuning. It came with a 10ft cable and a bar for the tremolo but if it didn't I'd be less than friggin happy. // 10

Sound: This guitar completely suits my style, this guitar is brilliant for metal and I'm sure it's mad for shredding, but I don't do that. When I got this I was using it with a line6 spider 3, it had a damn nice heavy chunky sound and since then I've swapped to a Valve Blackstar amp and given a lot of gain, I get similar heavy results. I've used this with a large amount of pedals and I have managed to pick up a few radio stations, but that may be due to my fuzz factory. This thing can get a serious amount of different sounds, it' does rock and metal quite well, even blues when you roll all the gain and stuff back on the amp. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this, it was set up well, was intonated, in tune and the action was set nice and low but high enough to lose the buzz. It looks stunning, I love the contoured top, it sits nice against your forearm when you're playing and the double cut gives you miles of access up high. This thing also gets your dimebag squeals and screams. I particularly like the finish on the neck, it has a gothic cross inlay which just looks great and gives it a serious amount of character. I've had this guitar for 3 years now and the only issue I'm having is the satin/matte finish is wearing away on the top, but the gloss underneath is coming through and I actually like it. If only I could get it uniform on the whole top. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I got this two months after a friend of mine got a C-7, his is falling apart right now, the tuners came flying of one day while we were jamming and landed on the drummers snare. His pickups are a little frazzled by the sounds of things and the neck is all warped and crap. But mine is still running straight, true and sounding sexy. I don't know why his is all damaged but flip knows this thing is running like a tank. I would gig this thing without a back up cos I know the wiring and the pups are solid, but the fact that it's a Floyd Rose and I wouldn't feel right without a back up. The strap buttons on my guitar have come out, but a match, screwdriver and a bit of glue and it was golden again. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, Fear Factory, Static-X and a load of other stuff and this fits perfectly, it has the same gear as an Ibanez but without the price in my opinion. And if I wanted better pups, I could just buy a set of 707's or Blackouts (I prefer the Blackouts) and it would be better than an Ibby I think. I've been playing guitar for 9 years now and I've accumulated 3 7-strings but I've played many more, the same guy mentioned above who has the C-7, he has an RG7321 a 7 prestige, he's also owned a Washburn WG587(damn good guitar) and I've played his and many other lads guitars and I put this up there with guitars worth more than 4 times the price of this. If this was stolen I'd try and get another one of these but if I was gonna spend that much cash, I'd probably save for one of the C-7 Hellraisers with a floyd and EMGs. Though them agiles look good value for money so I'd give them a peek too. One thing I'm doing with this guitar though is putting an evh d-tuna on the Bridge to drop the B to an A and fit a tremol-no so it can have a floating and fixed trem. // 10

Demon Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 31, 2012

Features: I am not sure about the year but I bought it sometime in may this year (2012) from a renown dealer so I would guess its pretty up to date. It has 24 jumbo frets and the neck is made of maple with rosewood fretboard, pretty smooth. The inlays are really cool; gothic cross, and mine has them really dark unlike the pics I see which has its understated charm. Finish is high quality satin (matt) black. String through setup. Active Duncan Designed pickups (HB-105) are brilliant. Tuners are non locking and hold there tune. I got a lot of accessories as well, strap, case, picks, cable etc. // 10

Sound: I mostly play metalcore, hardcore, hard rocks. Heavy breakdowns and palm muting and all. BFMV, Breaking Benjamin, August Burns Red. Drop tunings sound good. Harmonics are picked up well even by the neck pickup. I use it through a Korg AX3000G and headphones or a cheap solid state amp for which I have made a different patch and sounds good. It sounds a mid muddy but suits me and my style. Cleans sound good as well. Believe it or not I played some eagles slow solos and the guitar felt right at home. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up was good. A bit of fret buzz in low tunings, but that's probably because I was using .9 -.42 Super Slinkies. Change of gauge was welcome. Otherwise everything was good // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is built like a tank. Its really heavy and the built quality is really brilliant. Fit and finish are good, no rough edges. Satin finish is really great. You can't go wrong with the built quality period. I will easily gig without a backup, but will always keep a backup if strings break but that can happen with any guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall its really great for the money. Buy it if you play metal or rock or are versatile. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Omen-7 7.8 Electric Guitars 12/21/2013