Devil Custom Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 01/20/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Devil Custom
Evil incarnate...the Schecter Devil Custom is the epitome of what a metal guitar should be.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 8.2
reviews (7) pictures (2) 34 comments vote for this gear:
Devil Custom Reviewed by: themelodicdeathshow, on july 23, 2009

Purchased from: Americanmusical.com

Features: 2008 Schecter Devil Custom, made in south korea, 24 jumbo frets, ebony fretboard, mahogany neck. This guitar has a mahogany body and a solid burl maple top, Active EMG 81/85 humbucking pickups, grover tuners and a string -thru body, has 2 volume controls and 1 tone control 3-way selector switch. // 8

Sound: This guitar is made for metal, which is good because all I play is metal, I'm using a Vox AD100VT-Xl high gain amplifier, and a Boss GE-7 graphic equalizer in the effects loop, and a Dunlop Classic Crybaby running from guitar to amp. The EMG pickups are silentwhile muting, there isnt much use for this guitar if you don't play metal or heavier rock. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was high from the factory, the pickups needed adjusting, I had my guitar tech set this guitar up to my liking, everything else on the guitar was good, I had to send 2 guitars back though due to manufacturing flaws, dents and scratching, American musical was great, the best place to buy gear online! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems really durable, it withstands live playing, the controls seem strong, tuners are good, locking tuners would be nice though, I would use it without a backup and I have. The finish will most likely wear over time, scratches show up easy, fingerprints too, but overall it's pretty solid. // 7

Overall Impression: Again I play all different types of metal, from Lamb Of God to Slayer, Metallica you get the point. I have been playing 2 years and I have owned a couple of Ibanez guitars which I have since sold, I tried out a Jackson DK2 before buying this and a few Ibanez RGs and Schecter Hellraisers, and a Schecter Tempest Custom before buying this guitar none came close. If I could change one thing about this guitar it would be that the neck was made from a different wood other than mahogany. // 10

Devil Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 16, 2010

Features: I got my Blood Red Burst Devil in 07 or 8 it is a Lefty so was a special order from Korea though Schecter USA, I had to wait about 5 or 6 months for it to be built and shipped to N.Z. It is an SG style and has quality components, Grover tuners, Active EMGs, string through body bridge and an Ebony fret board that is so silky smooth with 24 jumbo frets. // 9

Sound: Hard Rock and Heavy Metal, I'm learning AC/DC, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica songs and style, I have not developed my own style yet. I have a Marshall MG100 amp and effects pedals are Boss SD1 overdrive and Blues driver, DigiTech death metal. Sound is great from bright highs to deep lows. Bends and Slides are so sweet and easy thanks to the Ebony fretboard. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This Guitar looks and feels great and is lighter than it looks. The finish is awesome the Blood Red Burst looks great, the body shape is comfortable and very functional with the horn cutaways giving easy access to the 24th fret and the Beveled back gives a comfortable fit and the Ebony fretboard is so silky smooth slides and bends flow effortlessly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Devil is fairly tough I have dropped it once on a wooden floor and the only damage was a 1" crack in the lacquer. The Devil still looks and sounds great after 3 years of use. I only play for my own enjoyment and to drown out the neighbors hiphop with an extended version of Iron Man. The only problem I have had is the knobs are coming loose and I cannot see any way of tightening them up, if they get too loose I will put a dab of glue on them on the cavity side. Also the 9volt battery for the active EMGs has been replaced twice but not for a while as I disconnect the lead when not using the guitar now. // 8

Overall Impression: This was my first real guitar and is easy to play, sounds great and looks Devilicous. Schecter are the only manufacturer who make their guitars in left handed version's. I've been learning for about five years, I now also have a Dean Razorback Explosion Lefty and an Epiphone Tony Iommi G400 Lefty plus my first guitar an Ashton which is my learning guitar. The Devil, Razorback and G400 are in a similar price bracket and each have their own sound, I could not pick one over the other. I do recommend this guitar to you, if you like the look and sound of it, I think they have stopped making them but 2nd hand it would be a good buy. I love the ebony fretboard, it is my favourite feature and I would buy this guitar again. It is great value for the money. // 9

Devil Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 19, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Schecter Devil Custom. Made in S.Korea, 2007. * Construction: Set-Neck with Ultra Access * Body: Mahogany with Solid Burl Maple Top * Neck: 3-piece Mahogany * Scale: 25.5 inch * Fingerboard: Ebony * Frets: 24 Jumbo * Inlays: Devil Eye at 12th fret * Binding: Multi-ply (Neck & Headstock) * Pickups: Active EMG 81 and 85 * Electronics: 2 Volume knobs, 1 Tone knob and a 3-way pickup switch * Bridge: TonePros Thru-Body * Tuners: Grover * Hardware: Black Chrome // 9

Sound: I play rock, metal, and punk thru a Marshall 8200 Valvestate. I use analogman/boss distortion, phase shifter, delay, wah. This guitar rocks! Acoustically its super loud and live. I feel like I'm in stereo when I play through my practice amp at home. Sounds good with the EMG's, thick and smooth, but I'm thinking about throwing in some seymours for a little extra grit. The guitar itself sounds great and has a nice rock quality that I really like. It's like an SG but better. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck is super fast. It's thicker than most Schecters, but it doesn't even matter because it plays so well. Even though the neck has a C shape that's thicker than I like, the width of the fretboard is still pretty thin, getting wider going up the board. Pulloffs are super easy and the ebony fretboard just feels like it has a snap to it that make you play faster effortlessly. Mine is the Amber finish. The lighing in some of the photos I've seen make it like baby barf, but in reality it is more like a tobacco color. Very nice. The pointed horns are just killer. This guitar is alot lighter than I expected. Many people will say heavier guitars are better for sustain and what not but that is bs. This guitar will kick any Les Paul's ass on sustain. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a sturdy guitar and will withstand the wrath of metal I will inflict upon it. I've had it for about 3 months. Schecters are well made instruments so reliability and durability shouldn't be a problem. Although I will be replacing the input jack, sometimes those suck and can screw with your tone. // 10

Overall Impression: The Schecter Devil Custom is a metal machine. No the neck isn't paper thin for soloing for 10 hours; It has girth for pounding out killer riffs and is fast and snappy for solos. I personally like the way it looks. I'm sick of Strats and SGs. I do like the way Ibanez guitars look but, um, they suck. So if you're looking for a metal guitar try it out. Play it for a while acoustically then plug it in and slam out some Slayer. You'll have a hard time finding another guitar that plays as well. // 9

Devil Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2010

Purchased from: Drum City Guitarland

Features: It's a thru-neck design and it's also a string-thru. Which lends itself to a ton of tone. The 81/85 setup is deal for metal, which I play. Standard bridge. I have zero interest in leads so I don't mess around with the Floyd Rose headcahe. Very well-built git-box. I have the blood red burst model, and yes, it looks just as bada$$ as any pics you've seen. // 10

Sound: As I said, the tone is great. My other guitar that I have been playing for years is an ec-1000 by ltd. Great guitar but it cannot match this one in tone. This Devil Custom has a very warm, well-rounded sound, but is also a bit on the middy/high end cause of the 81/85 emgs and the way this doggy is built. I noticed a very 'cutting' sound to my crunchy chords and also, as I said, the clean notes are very warm and full-bodied. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The geet came with the bass side at 3/64 and the treble side at 2/32. These are the measurments of a Standard setup from the factory. Which I didn't mind because A) it was unplayed, straight from the box, and B) I do my own setups and I like being the first one to noodle with that kinda thing whemn it's my own axe. I like my action a bit higher cause I have a heavier picking style and this guitar responded beautifully to the action adjustment and intonation I applied. This is a guitar that WANTS to intonate for you when you adjust the saddle-slots. The blood red burst finish is a malevolently beautiful thing to behold. It is very dark for the most part. Your average bedroom lighting shows the guitar as an almost blackish color with a very light bloody-plum sorta hue to it. But in direct light the craftsmanship on the color/finish comes to life. In direct lighting you see a 'black crushed-velvet covered in blood' sorta look. It is freakishly awesome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is balanced perfectly. You put on the strap and let it go and it settles at the perfect playing spot and does not droop any further. The neck I found to be a bit thicker than most guitars, but I like that. And it def doesn't hinder the thrash-attack. The guitar is on the lighter side but feels rugged enough. I have been beating on it for a month now and it rises to the occassion everytime. Schecter makes solid axes, end of story. // 10

Overall Impression: For metal this guitar not only looks and feels awesome, but SOUNDS awesome as well. I play out of a Marshall TSL 100 with a BBE maximixer and this geetar HOWLS f*****g metal. Like I said, the tone is on the higher end but with emgs and a Marshall you can't miss. My ltd ec-1000 is a VERY solid guitar, and I have been happy with it for years. Still am - but - it was time for a new gitbox. To change up the feel, shake things up etc. The Scheter Devil Custom caught my eye YEARS ago in an American Musical magazine but I didn't have the cash for it and I was also already very happy with my ltd. I was VERY fortunate to be able to find a Devil still in stock somewhere last month, brand new. I had to SCOUR google until I found the little geet shop in Colorado that had one. I never buy things used; I want to be the first one to break any instrument in. Anyways, I have ZERO complaints about this guitar. It is everything I thought it would be and MORE. If you can find one still out there, get it. // 10

Devil Custom Reviewed by: gu1t@r p3rs0n, on august 16, 2011

Purchased from: B&H Music

Features: Ok, what we have here is one very beautiful guitar. Mahogany body with a solid burl maple top for a beautiful look. It's got a 3-pc thru body neck with an ebony fingerboard which feels absolutely dreamy. Grover tuners and a TonePros thru body bridge. The active 81/85 pickups make for the perfect configuration in my rig. // 10

Sound: I play to a Fender 25 watt and Peavey vypir 15 watt (for accent) through a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion and BF-3 Flanger and a Dunlop Cry Baby wah pedal. It took some tweaking, but after a little work it was perfect. The Bridge pickup is high gain, so you gotta watch it when you've got the distortion on or you'll get some static. I play mostly Deathcore and Death Metal and I have to say, the guitar was weird to me at first. The neck pickup is a little bassy, but tweak the volume knob back on that one and it sounds great. Mainly when I end up playing rhythm I set both pickups on and cut the neck to half volume for a good clean low sound and I save the neck alone for fast solos and sweeping. Pretty much enough power to blast anything through whatever your amp has. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this secondhand from a guitar shop, so it was already a little altered from factory settings, so I can't say much for that.But the guitar was in great condition. The pickup casings were a little chipped from guitar shop use though. The entire thing overall was great though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitely tough and will last a long time. The finish is thick and solid and I don't doubt it'll last for a very ling time. I've never had a problem with the strap buttons, but I always advise you get straplocks just in case. I'd totally take this thing on gig without a backup without second thoughts at all. It'll last. // 10

Overall Impression: This thing is named after the f--king devil. I think It works perfectly for me. The Blood Red Burst finish is much more beautiful than the Amber Burst and I'm glad it's what I got. This thing is my baby and I love it endlessly. Lots of people find it difficult to play just because it's so unique. Ever since I tried it out though, I knew it was the right one for me. It's just perfect for me. I often find myself looking at it hanging on my wall and thinking "That beautiful hellish piece of musical machinery is mine" and it gives me this jolt of energy that it takes someone who's experienced it to understand. If this were stolen, I'd hunt the man down who stole it and make sure he never stole again. The first time I saw it, I walked to a wall with a Schecter Riot and Schecter C-1 Custom hanging next to it. Both of which are amazing guitars, but this one called to me. I picked it up and started playing and was instantly in love with the feel and sound. There was no comparison, it had to be mine. Eventually, it was. // 10

Devil Custom Reviewed by: mrigsby44, on december 09, 2011

Purchased from: music store

Features: This Devil was made in 08, it's korean. It has 24 frets with a ebony fretboard. It has a burl maple top, mohogany neck and body with a quilted top. Double cutaway with devil horns on the headstock.the bridge is a TOM string thru body, it has active pups very good on the battery, long lasting, just unplug guitar to save battery life! 2 vol. knobs and 1 tone, very good eletronics.. It has 2 EMG pups bidge 81 neck 85, very HOT pups, they will cut thru anything..it has Grover tuners, very accurate and stays in tune, no matter the attack.came with a Road Runner case.. // 10

Sound: I play just about every genre of music, been playing 30 yrs., but this guitar was built for mostly shredding and metal, pretty good for classic rock too..will get a slightly clean sound, but it puurrfect for my metal style of writing.I use a Line 6 valve head with Line 6 board, with wah/vol. Pedal running thru a B-52 4x12 cab..really thick sound, is what I like. The guitar does not feedback, and has no hum or noise even at gigs, very loud..thee guitar can get a brite or thick full sound, just depends on amp settings..the guitar is just plain out made for metal or heavy classic rock..wicked guitar period! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Bought the guitar used, so it was set-up and ready to rock! The guitar was well taken care of and has no loose fitting parts or noisey pups.pups we're set to perfection, guitar was properly routed and body was perfect no oxidizing of hardware so far frets are still in excellant condition, and from what I understand this was a giging guitar the tuning pegs are still tight after three years! Saddle is perfectly fitted! No complaints here, although there are a few bumps a brusies, it's still a beautiful guitar.if you can find one get it for Gods sake! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar guitar will withstand any giging conditions, that are expected out of a giging instrument. Does not break strings graph-tech nut is perfect for this guitar.the hardware has lasted 3 yrs. So I would think it will last many more, strap buttons are solid..I would take it to a gig without a back-up, if you keep the fretboard oiled the strings will last several gigs and keep their tone! If you keep the Devil polished and wiped off after every gig or playing Session the finish will last indefinitly... // 10

Overall Impression: I have 2 Les pauls a Paul Reed Smith Tremonti, a top of the line Kramer, and for the style of music I play and write this is the best guitar I own..my favorite feature is the Devil Horns and body style, guitar is heavy so if you don't like the weight of a Les Paul, this is probably heavier than the Pauls, but it's solid to the core and worth the weight..if it we're stolen I would search the world over to try and replace it..they've been dicontinued, so it would be hard to find one... // 10

Devil Custom Reviewed by: WootNugget, on january 20, 2012

Features: - Set Neck w/ Ultra access - Solid Burl Maple top - 25 1/2" scale - 24 jumbo frets - Mahogany Body - 3-piece Mahogany Neck w/ Ebony fretboard - String-Thru Body - Active EMGs (81 bridge and 85 neck) - Grover tuners - Tune-O-Matic bridge - 3 way pickup switch - Metal tone/volume knobs - Made in South Korea // 9

Sound: Plain and simple. This guitar is a beast. It has a very wide range of styles from classical to death metal. I use a Line 6 spyder IV 75 watt and the tone from the Mahogany will push through even the highest gain you can throw at it. The harmonics sing loud and proud as if they were sung by angels and the low end is tight and aggressive. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used from a guitar center and I must say, whomever owned this instrument before me did a poor job with the set up. On how many guitar in a guitar center do you see the bridge pickup let alone an EMG pickup pushed up against the strings? Since I set my guitars up myself, this was a fixable flaw.I must say, after getting everything squared away with the intonation and action, This guitar sounds absolutely amazing. The finish is a dark green burst and looks killer. The neck is a bit more beefy than most Schecter necks and the ebony fretboard looks super clean and plays very smooth. This guitar is the only one to date that I have not cut my finger on a loose fret. Overall, I'm very impressed. // 8

Reliability & Durability: At first glance, this guitar looks like it weighs a ton, but it doesn't. It is actually fairly light, consideribly lighter than a Gibson Les Paul. It's small body size makes it ideal for playing on stage, although I replaced the stock strap buttons with Schaller locking buttons. The Devil Custom might look delicate, but its really a tank. I have fairly limited space in my home and occasionally with knock it up against something. After a year and a half of that, it still looks like new. The Pickups are something else. They fire right up the moment you plug the guitar in. // 9

Overall Impression: When I was at guitar center looking for a new guitar, I was honestly looking for a Schecter Hellraiser. I played several Schecters and a few Gibsons before I stubled across this Schecter. I am mostly a Rock and metal player so this guitar really caught my attention. I was in love with it the moment I saw it. The way it sounded, how smooth it played (despite the screwed up pickup height)and how well it was crafted. If it were stolen, yes I would buy it again, even if I had to pay more. If you can find this instrument anywhere, new or used, buy it. You will not be disappointed. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014