Gryphon Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 05/30/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Gryphon
It has 24 frets on a rosewood fretboard, a flamed maple top and it has a bolt on maple neck (with rosewood fretboard). It has a Strat-esque shape but a little thicker, a string thru body with a Gibson style bridge.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 Features: 9.3
 8.9
 8.8
reviews (13) pictures (2) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Gryphon Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on january 03, 2006

Features: The Guitar Center exclusive Schecter Gryphon is one amazing guitar. Korean made but inspected in the US, it has the range of 24 frets on a rosewood fretboard on a maple neck. The beautiful abalone inlays set this guitar off beautifully. Body wood is mahogany with a maple flame top. Body style is similar to the Jackson Soloist, indeed pretty sexy. Bridge style is string-thru TOM wonderfully black in color. All the hardware is black. The pickups are Duncan Designed probably similar to the Seymour SH-4 JB and SH-2 Jazz set in neck and bridge positions. Color finish is a ruby/blood red. Passive electronics (no batteries here) with coil-tap on the tone knob to split the humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone, Graphtech nut, 3-way Switch, and Grover tuners finish off the hardware. I got no real extras in this deal. // 10

Sound: I play 90s alternative stuff along with a few modern bands like White Stripes. The amp that I have is the Line6 Spider II 15 practice amp sadly which I am hopefully going to upgrade to a VOX ADVT50 watt. I currently use two effects pedals, a Distortion Factory DF-7 and EHX Small Clone. I enjoy any of the sounds that I create from jazz to rock, and anywhere in between. Bluesy tones can easily be created using the neck humbucker, as overdriven punk is suited for the bridge. Awesome versitility. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: All of the setup was flawless, the nut was aligned, bridge was set just right, action was excellent. The bookmatched top could have been better, but I'm not complaining. I have recently found some crevaces in the finish, but nothing really noticeable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar should definatly be a live player, it stays in tune for weeks. The strap buttons are flawless but could appear a little cleaner. The finish is wonderful, very durable. I would definately trust this in a gig without a backup, but I doubt I ever would play without one to be ont he safe side. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing a little over a year and this was my first guitar. I feel that I don't deserve it it is so wonderfully playable. I wish I would have tried out more guitars because I really went on impulse with this one. I tried 4 guitars in total, this one being my second choice to an Epi SG which was 50 bucks more. I love everything, and I wish it came with a clone of itself because it plays that beautifully. Great for any style of play, although it looks like a metal oriented guitar. Don't continue any further, I have nothing more to say but buy this guitar! // 10

Gryphon Reviewed by: thetoastinator, on december 26, 2005

Features: My Schecter Gryphon is my second guitar. It was made in 2004 as far as I am aware. It was made in Korea and set up in the US. It has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard, albalone inlays (I think) maple neck, and a flamed maple top. It's shaped like a Strat pretty much. It has a Tune-O-Matic brige with a string-thru body. There is 1 volume knob, and 1 tone knob, which can be pulled up to change the dual humbuckers into single coils. I dont really like the sound of the coils tapped with the stock Duncan Designed pickups, but I'm getting them replaced soon. It has a 2 way pickup selector. All of the hardware is black, and looks very nice with the color of the guitar. // 9

Sound: I mainly play metal and classic rock, and it gets the job done quite nicely. When I want a metal sound, I use the humbuckers, and when I want a classic rock sound, I tap it for single coils. The sound of the humbuckers are great, but when its tapped, its not the best. When its tapped, there is a lot of excess humming, although that is found in almost all single coils. I am using a Line 6 Spider II 30 watt with either no effects or a Digitech RP 50. It sounds good with the effects on or off. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I took this guitar out of the box, it was set up pretty well. I play with a very low action for tapping, so it was a little high for me, but it was still at a good height. The pickups were raised at a perfect height. The maple top looked wonderful with the guitar. It has a very thin, fast neck, which is different from my Fender Strats neck. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand gigs. The hardware looks like it will last for a long time and it wont give out on me. I replaced the strap buttons with straplocks, just incase, but the stock strap buttons seemed pretty soild to me. I probably wouldnt gig without a backup, for obvious reasons (tuning, broken string etc) but if I had to, I would. The finish is clear-coated and it looks like it will last for a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and rock, and this guitar is a perfect match. I have been playing for about a year, and my other guitar is a Fender Strat, which I also love. The only thing that I might change with this guitar is the pickups to a better match for the coil tapping. If it was stolen, I would definately get it again if I had the same amount of money. Overall, it is a great guitar, and I would recomend it to any beginner or intermediate at guitar. // 9

Gryphon Reviewed by: dougp96, on june 19, 2006

Features: As is the case with all Schecters, this Gryphon was set up in the United States. It has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. The neck is a bolt-on maple. The body is comparable to a Strat. It has Duncan designed pickups, Grover tuners, and a tone-pro bridge. The tone knob can be pulled up to turn the double-coil pickups to single coil. For the price the features are great. Some people knock the strings Schecter puts on their guitars at the factory, but I have no problems with them. I'll eventually Switch the strings to the Ernie Ball Super Slinkies, but for now I have no complaints about the factory strings. // 10

Sound: I mostly play harder rock, usually punk-ish in nature (stuff ranging from Bouncing Souls and NOFX to Sum 41 and Blink 182). This guitar suits all rock wonderfully. I was worried before I purchased this guitar that it was only going to be good for metal; NOT the case. My punk stuff sounds wonderful through this guitar because the action is so fast (I'll get to that later) and the sound is beautiful. The guitar has a very nice sound when played without distortion as well. It does it all. It sounds better played with the pickups at double-coil than at single coil. I'm currently playing through a Line 6 Spider II 112 (75 Watts) and a Fender Frontman 15G practice amp, and it sounds great through either one. This is a great guitar for any type of rock, even soft rock, plus it has a great blues sound. I wouldn't reccommend it for country, but I doubt most people looking at Schecters are strictly country musicians. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup is flawless. When I got it at the store, they brought it from the back, so I was the first one to play it, and it didn't even have to be tuned (apparently this is the case with just about all Schecters). All the knobs are secured, as is the input jack and pickups. The action on this guitar is lightning quick, which makes it so perfectly suited for any hard rock, punk, or metal. The strings are very low to the fretboard, but not too low (no buzzing strings, I know what that's like, and this certainly doesn't have it). The neck is extremely smooth, which adds to the great action on this guitar. The guitar has a killer look on top of everything; mine is Charcoal Burst. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand anything. I play pretty hard, and it stays in tune better than any guitar I've ever seen; it can go days, even a week of being played every day, be carried in a case, and not go out of tune. Mine sat in the case in the back of the car during a five hour drive from Detroit to Chicago, and when I took it out of the case it was still in tune. Unbelievable stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of punk-ish stuff, and it suits the music wonderfully. Most people play metal with Schecters it seems, but you can use this guitar for any style. I've been playing for a little over 2 years and I love it. My dad's been playing for decades and he likes it as much as I do. It's a great guitar for anyone, especially at $400 (Or a deal if you can swing one at Guitar Center, where this guitar is a store exclusive). It plays like a guitar that should cost twice as much as it does. I plan on having this guitar for a long, long time. I played a lot of guitars before purchasing this one- Jacksons, Schecter Omen 6 and 06 Deluxe, Telecasters, B.C. Rich, Ibanez, and it came down to this or a Standard Mexican Strat, and the versatility and overall playability and action of this guitar blew the Strat away, despite their similar price tags. If it were stolen, I'd be a broken man, but I would buy a new one. My favorite feature is the speedy action, the smooth neck, low strings, and great sound for any style of music. I have absolutely no complaints about this axe. those of you looking for a punk rock guitar this is the one. Schecters aren't only for metal; after all, Goldfinger and Dead Kennedys use members of the Schecter family. // 10

Gryphon Reviewed by: the_reaper, on april 08, 2005

Features: I bought this guitar off the shelf, and in the price range nothing was comparable except the Fat Strat. I chose this one because of the coil tapping. This way you can have bridge and neck single coils and humbuckers. It has 24 frets on a rosewood fretboard. It has a flamed maple top and it has a bolt on maple neck (with rosewood fretboard). It has a Strat-esque shape but a little thicker. It has a string thru body with a Gibson style bridge. As I said it has coil tapping humbuckers. It has one volume and one tone with a three way selector Switch. I believe it has grover tuners, 3 on a side. // 8

Sound: I have a pretty versatile style and this guitar suits it ok. For the price it's good but it does them all just ok. When you activate the bridge and neck humbuckers it can get a pretty high out put and good for metal sound. I use it through a Fender Hot Rod Deville (an all tube amp) and it gets a decent blues sound when cranked through the guitar. All though I played a Fender Jimmie Vaungh Strat and it blew it away for blues. It's noisy on single coil mode with distortion cranked but otherwise it's very quiet. It has a dry sound with a very punchy clean tone. It can get kinda bright but you need some amp EQ to get a funk sound out of it. This guitar will do heavy and nu-metals ok, blues and funk ok, country tones ok, just about anything ok. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I took it in for a set-up as soon as I got it and it still buzzes on a few frets. I also adjusted the pick-ups and now they sound pretty good. The only real problem is a noisy tone knob when you turn it and don't touch any metal, probably something isn't grounded well. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would play this guitar live but only cause it is the only thing I have that doesn't go out of tune every five seconds. The hardware seems somewhat durable but I'm planning on some upgrades anyway. The strap buttons are good but I still want a strap lock system. I would always bring a back up but I'm sure it would be fine playing live by it's self. // 6

Overall Impression: I play everything and this guitar does it ok so considering I' just an ok player it fits me well. My gear also assists getting any style of tone I want. My amp has great Fender cleans but crummy distortion. So my array of distortion and overdrive pedals do everything. My MD-2 (mega distortion) gets good nu-metal tones (although I really don't play that stuff that much), my DS-1 will get a great punk tone (which means it sounds like crap) and my TS9 gets a great blues tone. If it were lost or stolen I would save up $700 and buy a C-1 from Schecter. Same versatility but with much better tone. This guitar (exclusive to Guitar Center (or so it says)) is basically a poor mans C-1. Since the C-1 isn't that bad of a price it's probably a better idea to buy that. Assuming that I keep this my next purchase will be a Fender American Strat, then a Les Paul or Ibanez, since this guitar is better at heavy stuff than light stuff. // 6

Gryphon Reviewed by: fridzeppelin, on july 05, 2005

Features: I think it was made in 2004, in Korea. It has 24 jumbo frets with abalone dot inlays on a rosewood fretboard. It has a charcoal flametop. It is a string-thru body. There are 2 Duncan Designed humbuckers. It has a coil tap knob, and it has grover tuners. // 10

Sound: This guitar has a perfect sound for hardrock, or metal. You can also get a good clean tone out of it. It has an unbelievably good sound. There is absolutly no buzzing. Not to mention the great sustain that the string-thru body adds. If like playing solos I suggest getting this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has a flawless setup, and the action is perfect. The pickups required no adjustments. Everything on this guitar is made to perfection. Everything was 110%. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid all around. It is made with quality hardware. It is a very dependable guitar. If I where to use it at a gig, I wouldn't need a back up. It has a quality paint job. Mine has the charcoal flame top. It looks unbelievable. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match to the music that I play. I play anything from blues to metal. I've been playing for about 11 months, this is my 5th guitar. I also have an Epiphone Les Paul, and an Epiphone PR-150 acoustic. If it were damaged in anyway, I would take it back and buy a new one. The Seymour Duncan Humbuckers give it a great sound. The grover tuners make it stay in tune. The string-thru body makes it very easy to re-string. The 24 frets and smooth neck allow for great soloing. Not to mention the great appearance. I compared this to a Fender Strat, and a Fat Strat, and it blew them both away. This guitar is perfect all the around. // 10

Gryphon Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 12, 2005

Features: I'll start this off by saying I am in love with this guitar. Korean made, my Schecter 'Diamond Series' Gryphon was inspected by Schecter in the USA. Fret count is at 24 med./jumbo with a wonderful maple neck and rosewood fretboard. I'm guessing it's the same as a Strat considering it looks like one. Laminated top I do believe and I have no clue as to the body's wood. I assume maple due to mostly the rest of the guitar being maple. It seems to be a flamed top finish, ruby red (blood red as I like to call it). Body style is Strat with a couple extra contours in near the neck part of the body. Bridge is Gibson-like single stop bar then goes into the string-thru body. All black hardware which looks killer on it. I'm not sure about the electronics whether being active or passive. One volume knob and a coil tap tone knob. Pickups are at bridge and neck and are black Duncan Designed. Grover tuners I believe of the locking type. Let see, other stuff I bought with the guitar: - 12' Monster Cable - Line6 Spider II 15 Amplifier Free throw-ins: - Gig bag - D'Addario XL Strings - Dunlop Tortex .73mm picks And to think I was going to buy a DigiTech Grunge Pedal too, but that would have given me a bad number, grand total was $666 flat. // 10

Sound: Mostly '90s alternative all-around besides some Clapton I can play and hopefully getting into Hendrix soon. Amp model would be a Line 6 Spider II 15 which absolutely fits this guitar in every single way. No effects outside the amp itself, crazy options on it. Noisy: of course! Even on the lowest of volumes it cuts through the air making the floor shake with excitement. It's a good noisy nonetheless. It's only quiet on clean mode. A little too quiet. It seems as though as you progress through the strings one by one their volume decreases. I don't quite understand this but it's still alright. Both a rich and full sound, it's quite amazing. Bright is included. This guitar can do anything. I am very pleased with the variety. The Line 6 site tells you song settings for their amp but I tried out the Smells Like Teen Spirit setting and it wasn't right. The Crunch didn't give it any justice. You should step up to metal if you want a similar sound. Perfect sound for Nirvana Unplugged songs especially Come As You Are, almost replicated with both guitar and amp. Superb but a few shaky bits! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was perfectly set up for anyone. The strings were low enough to be comfortable for anyone. Beats my acoustic guitar's action by a landslide. The pickups were even good with the plasticy film stuff they put on to protct them it seems. But yes, excellent pickups on this. The bridge is routed perfectly as with most same with the nut-string alignment. No flaws yet to be seen. Besides the tone knob creating feedback on the guitar which is strange. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Live playing, I'm damn sure this will withstand anything you give it. Besides a smashing maybe. Never goes out of tune unless you want it to, and the hardware looks solid. Possible knob-control issues in the future I think. Strap buttons are awesome. They're wide and skinny at the same time with a screw going through it for support. I can definately depend on this in the future for being a main guitar. I have no back up, first guitar (electric anyways) so I'd have to go without one. Finish looks tough and lasting. No pick-guard either. But I never seem to hit it on any guitar I play. Awesome, reliable, durable, piece of machinery. // 10

Overall Impression: Music I play is alternative, for now. Gonna get into jazz eventually. This is a very good match for me. I've been playing about a year now. I also can play trumpet and a little bass guitar. Other gear - see first section. I wish I had asked to try out the Omen 6 first 'cause it was cheaper. I played this at Guitar Center on the same model amp I was going to buy along with an Epi LP100, Epi SG, and an Epi Dot. This was the best suitable guitar for me. Bigger than the LP100 but smaller and a solid-body than the Epi Dot. The SG was a little overboard in price for me at $450. I love everything. I can't say I hate a thing. My favorite feature would be the finish, the only thing that could beat it would be Gibson's emerald fade finish. I hope all you metal heads convert from BC Rich to Schecter. Way better. And for other guitarists also looking for a 'Strat-Fighter' besides an LP. Get this guitar if you cherish your style of music. Please, save this guitar and smash your other one! You won't need another if you have this! // 10

Gryphon Reviewed by: superguitarist1, on november 07, 2005

Purchased from: guitar center in arlington heights

Features: This guitar is a wonderful thing for me. It is my first guitar, so I like alot. It's got 24 larger frets for begginers, though it's not htat much of a difference. Rosewood neck. Laminated top. I'm not sure about the body wood though. It's got a Strat design type body. One amazingly cool/helpful feature is that the strings go through the body, so it's easy to change strings. The electronics are somewhat active, and it's got a volume knob, a push-pull coil tab, and a 3-way selector. It's got good pickups. There's a case that comes with. It's soft on the inside (fake fur type material), and it's a metal case on the outside. It also came with a strap, but I don't like the way that the strap button is placed on the horn. // 9

Sound: I love the sound it produces. Most of the effects I use are on the amp, but it's still got a good sound. Kind of like a Les Paul sound. My amp is a crate 65-watt. It's got a lot of effects and 2 o/d modes. It can be noisy, but only if you want it to be. It can be set (with my amp) to any setting or tone you want. The guitar sounds are limited mostly to what effects you use w/ your fingers, but the amp quality is great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything as far as the settings on the guitar are good so far, so it's really good in this area. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I play this thing 35 hours a week. If it can stand that, it can definitely stand live playing even for 7 hours straight is my guess. I have a problem w/ the strap buttons though. The one on the horn keeps falling out. I think it's just this specific guitar though. // 10

Overall Impression: I personally play all kinds of rock on this thing from Nirvana to Ozzy to just about everything else. This is my only electric, of course I've only been playing since January. If it were lost, I wouldn't buy it again only because I can't afford another one. I love everything about this guitar. When I started playing it, it just felt natural for my fingers. I do wish it had more tone knobs though. // 9

Gryphon Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 25, 2009

Features: I don't know when this guitar was made, but I got it in 2006. It has held up beautifully over the years, and it plays as well as the day I got it. It came with D'Addario 10 gauge strings, but I've put Elixir 11 gauge on. It has a beautiful Cherry burst flamed laminated top. The neck is rosewood with 24 seriously oversized (VERY good for pinch harmonics and tapping) frets, and the body is mahogany. It is a Strat shaped body, except that it's arched and more solid. It's a string-thru-body bridge, which makes it extremely easy to change strings and produce a whammy-like effect. The Grover tuners included are very easy to use, and the strap buttons are perfectly sized (although I've put strap locks on anyway). Passive Duncan HB-103's (humbuckers) at the neck and bridge, a 3 way switcher, and push/pull coil tap help round out this guitar's impressive array of features. The only reason I don't give it a ten is that I would have liked a Floyd Rose tremolo, but I can't have everything. // 9

Sound: I play just about everything, and this guitar can easily supply what I need. For blues, I use coil tap with the Switch in the middle. The neck pickup with coil tap produces a very nice acoustic-sounding tone, and the bridge pickup with serious distortion is just awesome. Seriously, I can't describe it any more than that. It is mind blowing awesomeness with single coil or humbuckers. The single coil is pretty noisy, but that's normal. It has a very nice bright tone that is surprisingly suited to just about anything. It gives a very nice full sound with the Switch in the middle, and is excellent in the rhythm position. I run it through a Line 6 Spider 212, and it sounds amazing on every setting. I can go from acoustic simulation to a near-perfect Hendrix tone with a few button pushes. I've actually played some Black Sabbath songs that my friends thought were prerecorded. In short, awesome ax! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up pretty much perfectly at the factory. It even came perfectly in tune. Barring some serious string-bending, I usually only have to tune it once a week. The truss rod is adjusted well enough that I can also drop it to B with no trouble. As for the action, I can only say that this is the fastest guitar anyone I know has ever played (my guitar gets passed around a lot. The finish on the neck makes it impossible for your hand to catch (I'm looking at you, Epiphone! ) and barring a string change where I accidentally put the bridge on backwards, the intonation has been perfect. The bookmatching is flawless. This was actually my first electric, and it took me six months to figure out that the body wasn't only one piece of wood. The cherry burst finish helps with that, but still, that's pretty impressive. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was built to withstand nuclear war. The hardware has easily outlasted my friend's PRS, and the wiring hasn't changed a bit. I've only played this Live a few times, but it hasn't let me down. The stock strap buttons should do fine, but I've put locks on just in case. I would definitely use it without a backup if my band's songs didn't require so many bizzare tuning changes. There are a few dents in the neck from banging into doors, but the finish has easily withstood 3 years of wear and tear. // 10

Overall Impression: I've played Gibsons, Fenders, Ibanezes, PRSes, Parkers, ESPs, Lagunas, Epiphones, Squires, and half of everything on the wall at my local guitar center. This guitar beats all of them. Easy to play, perfectly set up, awesome sounding, and crazily fast, this guitar is a worthy addition to anyone's stand. // 10

Gryphon Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 01, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The features for this guitar are great. You get a beautiful abalone inlayed rosewood fretboard, and a flawless flamed maple top with mahogany backs and sides. The neck is bolt on which I personally like better than set necks(further away from neck pickup which is where I do harmonics). The body style is Stratish but it is definitely thicker and heavier, which is great. You get a String - Thru body bridge which keeps the strings in tune for a really long time which is great also. Passive HB-103's, Duncan Designed of course. The Gryphon comes with 2 control buttons(vol, tone)and a coil tap feature which is very lovely when you want to play Nirvana and such. The Gryphon has 3 way selecter Switch which comes black, all the hardware. The Gryphon comes with a Graphtec Man-Made Ivory nut, and premium D'Addario strings. // 10

Sound: I play Metal(like Black Label Society, Rob Zombie, etc...), Rock(like Rev Theory, etc..), and Alternative(like Alter Bridge, Creed, Nickelback, etc..). This guitar with the coil tap fits into every music style you want, which is one of the best thing about the guitar. I play the Gryphon through a solid-state Line 6 Spider III 15 watt amp, and I am using a DigiTech Metal Master(which if you play to loudly, sounds like your pedal is raping your amp with that much distortion haha). This guitar is great with rich and bright, or deep and low sounds depending on the tone control. This guitar has definitely one of the most variety of sounds of any guitar I have heard, played or owned before. There is one thing I am not so sure of about the pups, when my distorion pedal is starting to go dead, the pups, if you hit the strings hard enough, make a "beew" sound, which may just be my amp, Who knows. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came set up perfectly, you may want to adjust the pups though to get their "prime" sound. The top was properly bookmatched and the bridge was set up nicely with the intonation dead on. The Gryphon I bought did not contain any flaws, body wise, but my nut under the tone/coil tap button did come loose a tad bit, and the nut around my 3-way selecter Switch. But none the less easy fixes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I do not play in a band I'm just a hobbyist hoping to play in a band(lol) but this guitar is definitely heavy and thick enough I think to withstand a lot of carrying around and hauling back and forth. The hardware will definitely last for a long time, and the strap buttons are REALLY, REALLY solid but you may want to get strap locks if you care for your guitar, I use Hennesey Guitar Parts strap locks which should withstand up to 800 lbs. of force. The finish is really soloid and WILL withstand. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing about 10 months now and I have had 2 acoustics, and 2 Squiers which the black and chrome fat Strat is pretty awesome, but the Schecter Gryphon definitely shreds the strats out of the picture. If this guitar were lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again(if I had the money). This guitar is greatly featured and really doesn't need anything else, but it could've came with 2 tones and 2 volumes, which would have added to the already awesome tonal variability. All and all this is a great guitar which stands it's spot as my fav. Guitar and definitely one of Schecter's greatest $400 guitars. Get this guitar if it's in your budget! // 10

Gryphon Reviewed by: distortion896, on september 29, 2009

Features: This is a Limited Edition Schecter Gryphon. I believe it is a mahogany body with a quilt maple top. Based how you are looking at it, it can appear dark red or brown. It has a 24 fret neck with a Standard Strat 'c' shape. The body itself is also Strat shaped. It has a TonePros bridge and string-thru body. It has two Duncan Designed Humbuckers with coil tapping. It only has three controls-tone, volume, and a three way pickup selector. The tuners are Grover, and stay in tune pretty well. // 9

Sound: I mostly play 80s thrash, though pretty much any type of rock. It can go from a straight up crunch, to having a very bassy muff. It even has half-decent cleans when i need them. I play it through a Boss DS-1 and a Behringer GMX212 with very little hum, which i think is mostly the amp. the pickups aren't exactly EMGs, but still have a nice full sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it used, which accounts for the low price. the back is pretty scratched up, with a big nasty hole near the input jack. But other than that, the finish is perfect. It doesn't seem like its going to look beat up any time soon. The Action is pretty good, with a tiny bit of fret buzz on the lower strings near the third fret. It is there, but is not enough to really notice. Other than that, the hardware is fine, and nothing seems outh of place // 6

Reliability & Durability: This seems to be a pretty tough axe, and it can stand up to gigging. The hardware and strap locks seem hard enough to last awhile, and you could definitely gig this without backup. The finish is rock solid, and probably wont ever wear out. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my almost every need. I definitely prefer this over my Strat, and i am satisfied completely. If it was stolen, I would get another Schecter or similar guitar. Nearly everything is perfect! I chose this over some Ibanez s and ESP s, and i am really happy i did // 9

Gryphon Reviewed by: swordsofplague, on february 17, 2010

Features: This thing is a beast. "Strat-style" solid body sporting 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard with a bolt-on maple neck and flame maple top (in my case, charcoal/black). It comes with a tune-o-matic bridge and grover les paul tuners (3 per side). One volume and one tone knob and a 3-way selector switch, with coil-tapping capabilities. Comes equipped with two mean Duncan HB-103 passive humbuckers (don't let that "passive" part fool you though, more on that later). After reading this, I think you'll agree with me when I say you get a lot of guitar for your money. // 8

Sound: I play metal, and lots of it, but will break out a bit of blues and classic rock when the mood is just right, and this thing will handle whatever I throw at it. It's perfect for what I need. I'm running it into a Boss ME-50 Multi-Effects board and out to either a B-52 LS-100 halfstack or a Crate XT120R 2X12 combo. Both sound absolutely amazing. The amount of crunch this thing gives is unreal; it's crunchier than my Damien-FR with passive EMGs in it, and I attribute that largely to the pickups. After shows I get asked if I'm running active pups, and I always proudly reply, "nope, these things just really deliver." Unfortunately this is also a drawback. When playing at high gain and a high volume, there's just about always feedback. I've tried blasting it with my noise gate, volume slightly lower, lowering the pickup placement, etc. And it almost always happens. Pretty sure it's a grounding thing though, because in ideal situations it sometimes doesn't do it. Still, for the tone this thing gets its completely worth a minor problem. The thing that completely sold me on it, however, was the coil-tapping. Pull the tone knob out, switch to the neck pickup, and you have the most shimmering clean I've ever heard. It's crazy that it can go from such a high-gain monster to a perfect clean with just a half-second adjustment. Absolutely perfect for jazz, blues, or anything else where you're not dumping distortion in by the truckload. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I played this thing off the showroom floor and the thing just flew. Schecter is known for having awesome necks, and it's a reputation that's well-earned in my opinion. I got it roughly a year after my first guitar, a Squier Strat, and the difference in playability and sound was like night and day (for obvious reasons). Haven't done any serious setup work at all, haven't needed too! Lowered the action for faster playing, but other than that, I haven't really needed to make any major adjustments overall. My one beef with it is that even with the bridge all the way down, it's not quite low enough. It's still very playable, but it's just not where my Damien-FR is at. It's almost there, but not quite. I use either Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Slinkys (10-52) or Not Even Slinkys (12-56) for the really drop-tuned stuff. Weight is good, it's heavier than my Damien-FR (which is crazy, because just about every other Damien I've played has been significantly heavier than mine, and heavier than the Gryphon). You certainly won't find your shoulder aching after hours of playing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing has been gigged. Heavily. Owned for about 3-4 years, most of them gigging ones. This thing's been in some pretty rough venues, been dropped, bumped against a wall/amp/drumset/idiot/etc. And it hardly shows any signs of wear. My 2X12 fell over onto it while it was in a soft case in the back of the van. I thought for sure my neck was gonna be snapped. All I got was a little ding on the neck, doesn't even affect the playability. Only problem I've ever had with it was the input jack got unscrewed, but that was largely my own fault since I should have been keeping it tight. Quick fix, no problem since. Strap buttons are completely solid. I use Levi straps, and can hang the thing upside down with complete peace of mind. Would gig it without a backup in a heartbeat (if that wasn't such a bad idea). // 9

Overall Impression: It handles just about any and every genre, but really fast metal and blues or jazz is where this guitar really shines. I was so upset to find that it was discontinued. I guess its replacement is the Damien, and I must say that while the Damien holds its own with no problems, the Gryphon has it beat. The only thing I would change about this guitar would be to maybe get a Floyd Rose trem, but I might hate myself later for wishing that. Still, throwing in some divebombs now and then would be pretty nice. Overall however, a fantastic guitar, that will No Doubt grow with you as you progress. It's certainly a guitar that you appreciate more as your learning increases. // 8

Gryphon Reviewed by: Jukes Willie D, on march 01, 2011

Features: Sealed tuners similar to Gotah, book matched tiger maple cap over mahogany body with carved top, bolt-on maple neck, string-through-body, adjustable bridge, country of make and year unknown. Humbucker pickups that are splittable. Huge bass frets of stainless, a great thing in itself. The model is now discontinued. // 10

Sound: Great sound on the humbuckers, soft on the single coil, rather a bit like noiseless singles with less edge. Run through many amps and often a Bassman pedal. Amps: Peavey 20, Line 6 15, Fender 100. Sounds best on the Fender 100. I think the pots may be the issue as both tone and volume have a narrow band between full-on (nearly) and off (totally). The Bassman pedel helps the single coils, esp. on the Fender 100. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Great American set-up, bought used has a tiny faded area on one edge. Frets are dressed better than guitars I have played that cost $3000. The finish is rugged and superb. I love the violin look and the string-through feature gets maximum sustain out of the mahogany/maple body and neck. The body feels a lot like a Les Paul and clearly that is the inspiration. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a really rugged guitar that sold me on the: splittable pickups, huge stainless frets and the bolt on neck (like a Fender it can be readily replaced). Finish appears to be nearly bomb-proof. I NEVER gig without a backup and you shouldn't either...what if a string breaks mid set? // 10

Overall Impression: Blues and jazz are my styles. Have owned dozens of guitars including upper end Strat, a fantastic Ibenez semi-hollow Artcore, many acoustics including multiple resonators. Love: extraordinary looks, thin, fast neck, huge steel frets (nicely dressed w/mirrow finish), splittable pickups. Hate: the pots and the weak tone on single coil. The single coil thing is not critical. I may at some point replace the front pickup with a hot single coil. I will replace the pots at some rational time. Cost should be under $20. Why in God's name did they discontinue this? It was the best guitar in the line. Get one cheap and hotrod it and you are still world's ahead of even a mid-line Fender. // 8

Gryphon Reviewed by: soopa96, on may 30, 2012

Features: I'm pretty sure that this guitar was made in 2005 in South Korea. It's got 24 frets, rosewood fretboard with Abalone Dot inlays. Transparent Black Flame Maple top. It's a super Strat with a string-thru body. It's also got coil-tapping on the tone knob. Two humbucker pickups with a three way switch. Nothing out of the ordinary. // 9

Sound: I can honestly say that this guitar is the greatest guitar I have ever had the pleasure to play. The sound is so versatile! It was the first guitar I owned, and frankly I'm kind of sad about it. I always pictured myself having a crappy guitar and then buying an awesome one, but I seriously can't find anything better. I play a lot of metal, but I also do a lot of John Mayer stuff and it just plays exceptionally and handles so well on all of it. I feel like the sound up on the higher frets is pretty thin, but that's just the electronics, and for being the stock pups, they don't disappoint. I'm using it on a Roland MicroCube, and I can get pretty much any sound I want on it. My friend who owns a Fender MIM Stratocaster was jealous of my 200 dollar Schecter. That's gotta say something. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up like a dream. The action fits me so well! It has a VERY low action, so it is very good for fast style metal riffs. The pickups were adjusted very well, I've had almost no problems with this guitar at all. The only thing that has happened is that the wires in the input jack came a little loose, but with some soldering equipment you can fix it in just about 5 minutes. That being said, everything else is perfect. One thing I want to point out is the neck of the guitar. I have never felt a neck that plays smoother than this one. I seriously feel as if I am playing on butter. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty well suited for live playing, But I wouldn't bring it out without a backup. I love it and it has a great sound, but the strap buttons are funky and the input jack has had it's fair share of problems. I've dropped the guitar a few times and all it has to show is a small chip in the bottom, but it's really just cosmetic and doesn't bother me. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is a GREAT choice and a great value. For 200 bucks it is the finest guitar I have ever seen or played. Obviously it's not going to compare with other higher priced guitars, but it is definitely worth much more than what I payed. I would definitely buy another if it were stolen, IF I could find one. I heard they were discontinued recently, so it might be tough to find. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.8 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014