Hellraiser Avenger FR Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 01/15/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Hellraiser Avenger FR
Made in 2009 in S. Korea. It's a limited run by Schecter, but there have been a few on DCGL.
 Sound: 9
 Overall Impression: 10
 Reliability & Durability: 10
 Action, Fit & Finish: 10
 Features: 10
 Overall rating:
 9.3 
 Reviewer rating:
 9.8 
 Users rating:
 8.7 
 Votes:
 10 
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
overall: 9.8
Hellraiser Avenger FR Reviewed by: Ne0Assass1n, on january 15, 2010
0 of 0 people found this review helpful

Price paid: $ 899

Purchased from: Drumcity Guitarland

Features: Made in 2009 in S. Korea. It's a limited run by Schecter, but there have been a few on DCGL. It has 24 X-Jumbo frets, on a 3 pc. Mahogany neck (D neck, so similar to a Gibson neck), 25.5". Body is made of Mahogany, so it's quite a heavy one. This does NOT have a flamed maple top, like the BCH version of this guitar. The hardware are black chrome, has an OFR, and according to Schecter it has "Schecter locking tuners", but mine came with Grover locking tuners. It comes with EMG 81-tw (bridge) and EMG 89 (neck). 2 volume (coil tap), and 1 tone. The knobs are regular chrome. There's also a 3-way blade pickup switch. // 10

Sound: I play metal and metalcore stuff 99% of the time, so output is key. I love the EMGs, and because they're both coil-tappable, I can get a wide variety of tones just by messing around with the tone/volume knobs. Now the other 1% of the time I play low-gain/clean stuff, so a mahogany body comes in handy. Because of its large size, it gives a nice deep sound as well. And believe me, this guitar has a great sustain. The only thing I have issues with is the 81 when coil tapped. I hate the extremely bright tone. But that doesn't bother me all too much. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I've heard many stories that Schecter comes perfectly out of the factory. The stories are true. The first thing I checked was fret buzz and action. They were both excellent. The next day I had it checked out by my friend who's a guitar tech, and could not believe that it came straight out of the box like that. No complaints here. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've hit the headstock way too many times (because I'm not used to the long shape), and I only see a very small dent. I also abuse the FR a lot, and they're still fine. I could definitely go through a gig without a backup, but you can never be too risky. A VERY solid guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the guitar of my dreams. I've played numerous guitars that run into the $2000s, and this is by far one of the best I've played, considering its price. If this guitar were to be produced by another major company like Jackson or ESP, it would easily go to the $1000-$2000 range. Schecter has always been promising, according to my friends who have Schecters. I'm glad that I got this highly versatile, oddly-shaped BEAST of a guitar. // 10

Was this review helpful to you? Yes / No
Post your comment
More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.6 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014
+ C-1 Blackjack ATX FR 9.2 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014
+ Tempest Custom 8.8 Electric Guitars 04/25/2014
+ view all
Comments
Your captcha is incorrect