Hellraiser C-8 Review

7.6
reviews (3) pictures (2) 52 comments vote for this gear:
Hellraiser C-8 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2010

Purchased from: BCR Music and Sound

Features: 2009 Made, South Korea 24 Fret X-Jumbo (29.5 Scale Neck) Solid-Top Quilted Cherry Finish Schecter C Custom Hipshot 8 Active EMG 808's 2 Volume, 1 Tone, 3 way selector Bridge and Neck pickups Schecter Custom Locking Tuners Schecter Hardcase for C Body Styles // 8

Sound: I play heavier music - anywhere from Rammstein to Meshuggah. This is a great choice for a heavy down tuned metal lover. Using Tech 21 and Marshall Amps. Tech 21 Analog Transistor (Tight Low-End is Great) and Marshall JCM and JVM (Much more balanced sound) Not noisy at all. Neck pickup is very brilliant, and the bridge is meant for a full sound. The better to destroy your neighbors with. The guitar offers the same sounds as any other with emgs, with the consideration it has 24 frets, has unique pickups, and is an 8 string. Depending on tuning, this guitar makes some unqiue sounds. Again depending on tuning - If you want to tune past F#, you should get heavier gauge strings. Next to that, its all good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is my 5th Schecter out of 6, and is flawless from the factory. It is inspected by Schecter in the US after creation and than personally inspected by me after I get my paws on it. Pickups are aligned perfect. Pictures match the guitar again flawlessly. No flaws whatsoever. This guitar is meant to be plugged in and destroy the world as soon as you crank it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like any Schecter, its meant to destroy the world. Hardware will definitely last. Straps are solid. I would depend on it, but I would make sure the strings are in good condition and aren't old or strained. Finish is great, and I doubt will wear even with extensive play. // 8

Overall Impression: I love anything heavy, and this guitar is on the extreme edge of that. I've been playing 3 years, self taught, and I'm ready for this instrument. It is not for the faint of heart, or the inexperienced. If it were stolen I Must Get Another. I love the tone, I dislike only the fact that they don't make 8 string packs of strings. I compared Ibanez, ESP, and Agile to this. Although some things do differ slightly, Schecter is without a doubt the best choice, and more affordable. // 8

Hellraiser C-8 Reviewed by: carl943, on january 11, 2011

Purchased from: NAMM Show

Features: 2009 Made, South Korea 24 Fret X-Jumbo (29.5 Scale Neck) Solid-Top Quilted Cherry Finish Schecter C Custom Hipshot 8 Bridge Active EMG 808's (81 85) 2 Volume, 1 Tone, 3 way selector Bridge and Neck pickups Schecter Custom Locking Tuners Schecter Hardcase for C Body Styles // 9

Sound: I'm interested in: Metal, Industrial, Doom, and Jazz. Live Rig : Tech 21(Preamp)and Marshall Amplifiers, BBE Sonic Maximizer, EQ, Power Amps. Line In : Boss Master Pedals, BBE Sonic Maximizer, EQ ---> Mixer I am very pleased with this instrument. As the other reviewer (I think) tried to elaborate; EMG's are great active pickups. EMG 808's (in this instance 808-81 and 808-85) have a lower intended frequency range, thus giving the guitar a somewhat more punchy low end tone, more so than Standard six string 81's or 85's. Besides pickups, the guitar has a somewhat seismic tone; very big sounding. Notably, the high end does not suffer. It sound nearly identical to a Standard six, yet the low end of the eight is without a doubt present. Tuning wise. Something i definitely wanted to speak of because I have been experimenting with this heavily. I believe the Standard tuning is F# B E A D GB E. I would recommend that you attempt tunings already in use before trying something too crazy. (Cause i already have). With the hipshot bridge and locking tuners most any tuning is possible; even ones no one has ever heard of before. *If you desire to drop the low F# further, be warned, anything that goes below E becomes muddy. The science of finding the proper gauge and bridge adjustment will allow you to tinker further. *READ THIS* Due to the scale of the neck, the actual physics of the gauge of string in correlation to neck scale is something to acknowledge. I don't want to sound like a scientist; I'm not. But. Putting strings lower than about 75 gauge+ cause a few new obstacles. 1)The nut of the string doesn't into the string-thru cavity. 2)The string gauge might not fit the Schecter tuners. 3)Fret Buzz. The shear size of the gauge, if not setup, is a problem. From experimenting and testing, different gauges do produce different tones. This is most notable on the extreme low end - which is exclusive to the eight string. I recommend finding a gauge that is equivalent to the feeling of drop D or drop C. By that, I mean that it feels comfortable, or hopefully natural. I've noticed something about any guitar with active pickups. When the volume pot is turned to max, your cleans can be over-powered from what I think is just too much signal. A simple fix: Just turn your volume pot down of the pickup you are using. It may sound foolish, yet I've seen many people have this problem, and usually don't acknowledge it. This is the bulk of my thoughts. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was extremely well setup when I got it. Action was fairly low. It could go lower, but you run into the problems of fret buzz again due to the odd gauges. (You can adjust the action per string via the hipshot) Pickups were recessed just right. No need to adjust. There were no cosmetic flaws or complaints to be found. It was a limited run Schecter and it looks like it was made with good time and quality. I was skeptical about the Schecter tuners, mainly because the fact that Schecter made them. After a year of playing, I am but at ease. They are as tight the day I first got the guitar, and it never detunes. Again, they are locking tuners. The neck is comfortable. If you have never played a seven string, or you have small hands, this might be difficult to transition to. The neck is not like a Gibson "baseball bat", but still something to consider. // 9

Reliability & Durability: With the addition of strap-locks, all other hardware meet my standards and I trust it. Hardware will without a doubt last, and I could depend on it in almost any situation. One problem is that if you create music using one of these, you should either have another (they make a damien 8) or the ability to transpose. // 9

Overall Impression: An 8 string guitar was something I became interested in after seeing Meshuggah.(Ministry "CuLaTour")Although there are a handful of other groups and artists utilizing them, they are still uncommon. I'm currently into metal genres varying from industrial, doom, and the avant-garde/extreme. It should be noted that an 8 string is not by any means exclusive to these genres. Ibanez and ESP (not sure of Agile) make 8 strings with a longer scale neck. I know for a fact Ibanez makes it with a thinner neck (Bolt-ons and neck thru's) Considering the uniqueness of the instrument and the good quality components, I would say its will worth the money. Even though it is a Diamond series, I view it almost like an investment. I would never sell this. // 9

Hellraiser C-8 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 12, 2011

Purchased from: american music supply

Features: Volume knobs came backwards. I don't like that. I fixed that problem. Support guy was an a-s and tried to make me feel stupid and suggested I lacked common sense that everyone else had who liked it that way. Nice pickups. Got see throuhg black. Decent paint job, but with some issues. Tunning machines suck! The F# string can hardly be tuned. You have to make very small moves... Needs much higher gear. I'm going ot replace it. // 4

Sound: Very muddy. I'm having a hard time finding an amp that can deal with this guitar. Clean is too bright with these EMG's. Low strings are muddy. Sound is even thorugh big and small strings.. I'm going to change strings and go from low B to high A. Better than low F#. Lots and lots of feedback. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: Nut was not centered properly. Issues with paint job. Volume knobs came backwards (they say that's on purpose) some might like that. I don't. Paint job is very thin, obviously made in Korea. Case is very cheap. Cheapest $100 case I have ever seen. Guitar looks great from a distance. Don't like binding. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I think its build well and don't expect a problem here. Except for thin paint job. Nice neck and weigth and ballance seems ok. Has EMG's so that's nice. Althought there very cold sounding and don't feel as HOT as normal EMGs' God I am tired of typing, but this review required me to type a certain number of characters. // 4

Overall Impression: I am not going to return the guitar... Because of the trouble of doing that. I think the low price I got it for makes it sensible to keep it. Support sucks. Its fast and they give accurate information. I will give you that. But the response came with attitude. Check it out: "You are officially the first person that thinks our volume knob Switch over sucks. We have been receiving nothing but praise for making the bold yet extrmely common sense move. It is stated in our FAQ on our website by the way. If you want to Switch it you don't need to bring it to anyone. It's really quite simple and you can do it yourself. Simply remove the knobs, remove the back cavity plate, unscrew the pots from the front, and then just Switch the holes the pots are in. Nothing diificult about it." See his answer was sufficient but I didn't need the attitude. Support is helpful accurate but their d-cks. // 2

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.6 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014