Hellraiser Deluxe Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 12/09/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Hellraiser Deluxe
The Hellraiser Deluxe electric guitar, Schecter's newest addition to the Hellraiser family, is just as infernally elegant as its siblings.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.2
 Features: 8.6
 8.7
 8.3
reviews (5) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Hellraiser Deluxe Reviewed by: asfastasdark, on august 11, 2009

Features: My Hellraiser Deluxe was made in 2009. Its first appearances were sometime in 2008, when this then-"mystery" Hellraiser showed up in a few different Guitar Centers. Made in China, this particular Hellraiser is much more visually appealing (well, to me) than the "normal" Hellraiser, the Hellraiser C-1, mainly due to its lack of abalone binding and inlays, and due to the fact that the body has a crimson burst. The Hellraiser Deluxe has 24 extra-jumbo frets with a 25.5" scale, and the neck is a bolt-on. The neck is mahogany and the fretboard is made of ebony. That is, according to sites like Musician's Friend. I suggest you judge it yourself; I'm convinced, for example, that my Hellraiser Deluxe has a rosewood fretboard. All the inlays are made of mother-of-pearl. The inlays are crescent moons, and the inlay at the twelfth fret is a very elaborate design and appropriately named "Devil Eye." The Hellraiser Deluxe has Grover non-locking tuners. This guitar has a mahogany body with a laminated quilted maple top, and it's in the typical super-Strat shape, like the Hellraiser C-1. The body is finished in a beautiful crimson burst. Pictures do not do this thing justice; in fact, I'd go as far as to say they look nothing like the real thing. The bright red you see in the pictures is much darker in reality, and the back is just as beautiful as the front; the grain of the mahogany is simply amazing. The Photoshopping done on pictures on Musician's Friend is truly horrible. I suggest Googling for some real photos, or better yet, seeing it in a store. The Hellraiser Deluxe has a TonePros Tune-O-Matic bridge and string-through body. Stock, the Hellraiser Deluxe has an EMG-81/EMG-85 set, EMG-85 being in the neck position and EMG-81 in the bridge. These are active pickups, so you'll need a 9-volt battery for which there is a separate slot on the back of the guitar. This guitar uses simple master volume and master tone controls, and a Gibson-style 3-way switch. // 8

Sound: As far as sound goes, almost every experienced guitar player knows that it's the amp and effects that will make the biggest difference... Anyway, I play mostly metalcore but also some doom metal. The EMGs in this guitar are perfect for metalcore, but a bit too shrill for doom metal and hard rock, in my opinion. They were designed with the typical scooped mids EQ of fast-paced metal in mind, but they don't sound bad at all clean. I play this through a Crate GTD65 (solid state amp), with either a Boss DS-1 or the amp's high gain channel, which I suppose doesn't really do it justice either. This guitar is not noisy at all. The neck pickup sounds very nice for metalcore; the bridge pickup is better for hard rock and other types of metal. This guitar is obviously mostly meant for metal, but it's really just the pickups that determine most of the sound, in my opinion, so swapping those out should change this guitar's sound entirely. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up on this guitar was phenomenal, I didn't have to change a thing. The action was already pretty low. The pickups were at about the right height as well. The craftsmanship on the Hellraiser Deluxe is great. There's only a single thing that's wrong with it, and that's the covers covering the controls and battery cavity on the back of the guitar. They weren't exactly cut to a perfect shape. For the rest, however, I don't have anything to complain about. The guitar looks great, sounds great, and plays amazing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar looks and feels very reliable. All of the parts look like they're high quality, and the finish seems quite thick. The strap buttons look like they'd last. I definitely feel I could use this on a gig without a backup (even though it's never a good idea). // 10

Overall Impression: For metal, this is one of the best guitars you can find under $750. I've been playing guitar for about four years now (electric for around a year and a half), and I have one Acoustic guitar, a 65-watt solid-state amp (I know, I know), and a Boss DS-1. I am very glad with this guitar and it fits my style perfectly. If it were stolen, I'd consider buying this again but because new guitars are constantly being produced I'd probably buy something else. The neck on this guitar is very smooth and plays great. I can't think of anything that I don't like about this guitar. It would probably have to be the fact that the pickups are active, but the battery lasts a hell of a long time, as long as you unplug after you play. For me, this truly is the perfect guitar under $750. I can't think of anything I'd rather have instead of this in that price range. // 10

Hellraiser Deluxe Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 18, 2010

Features: well its made with Mahogany for the body and the neck so its not light I don't actualy know what they used for the top but looks like maple it has an ebony fingerboard and 24 jumbo frets at a 25.5" scale. Ther is a Graphtech nut with a Tune O Matic style bridge and grover tuners. it also comes with a set of EMGS a 81 in the bridge and a 65 in the neck hase 1 volume and 1 tone and 1 toggle Switch 3 way. // 8

Sound: It suits my music style great because I play mainly metal but you can dabbe into other genres pretty easy as long as you need crunch I use myine with a Marshall amp and its a great combination I also run it through ampitube 3 and its works great there too. I don't really use any effects with it though. It has a pretty ful sound very dinamic with the EMG pickups. I found out and take this as a warning or what ever but I run my amp at high gain on clean because I get it louder but with that your pretty much set for a little cruch a little is a lot with this. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up ok at the factory I got one done at the store though to. The pick ups are fine nice hight and very receptive no flaws or defects its all real top quality parts for a budget. The fret wire was a bit sharp but I got used to it. I havn't had a probem with anything so far. And I've had it for about 8 months. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well I haven't really played live with it but I know it could handle it easy its a tank and very heavy. I can be clumsy at times but its never scratched or dinged so yeah thats good. I actualy replaced the strap pins with locking ones but they were decent. I can always depend on it as long as there's a 9volt inside. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a mix of everything and its great for that I either use this or my Ibanez rg4exqm1 and I like this one slightly more. Its funny because when I was looking to get this I couldn't find any info other than what guitar center had and its not much then I found out its "limited model" but info is always great. I love how in the pictures it looks like poo but in reality its beautiful its a wonderful thing to look at but better to play. // 10

Hellraiser Deluxe Reviewed by: Riffofthebeast, on august 13, 2009

Features: Features The guitar was made in 2009 in USA. The guitar has 24 on a thin neck with an ebony fretboard. The body is made out of Mahogany. The body style is Strat but it is much bigger than normal Strat size guitars. The bridge is a string through body with active electronics. The contorls given are 1 volum, 1 tone and a 3 way selecter. The pickups are EMG 81/85 active pickups. the tuners are gover tuners. Nothing was included but guitar center gave me half off a padded gigbag. // 10

Sound: This guitar is good for playing metal and hard rock. It goes good with any amp. It has nice cleans and loud heavy distortion. The string through body gives this guitar more sustain for longer notes. This guitar has a unique sound of its own that cannot be replicated by any other guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up at the factory decently everything was adjusted corectly before I even played a note. The guitar does not contain any flaws. The thin neck fits conftorably in your hands. The body also feels conftorable in your lar when playing sitting down. The quality is great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing. The hardware is very durable and will last. The strap buttons are solid but are bigger than most strap buttons so they tend to stretch out guitar straps slightly. The finish will last a lifetime. This guitar is very durable and reliable and will last a lifetime. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal music and this guitar is a good match for me. I have been playing for about 9 motnths and this was my second guitar. If it were stolen/lost I would buy this product again because this guitar is one of a kind and no other kind of guitar can replace it. I love everything about this guitar. My favorite features are the EMG 81/85 active pickups and the thin neck. I compared this product to a Jackson Randy Rhoads model which was almost the same price, and I chose this guitar over the Jackson because it fit more comftorably in my lap when I was playing sitting down, it had better pickups, and all aroudn better specs. // 10

Hellraiser Deluxe Reviewed by: paesano, on september 08, 2009

Purchased from: musiciansfriend

Features: Made in 2009, I don't know where it was made. It comes with 24 jumbo frets, the neck is nice and thin. A little thicker than an ESP F-250 but much thinner than the Schecter Damien 6. The body and neck is Mahogany and the fretboard is rosewood. The finish is gorgeous, a deep red that fades out to black around the edges. The pictures don't do it any justice. The tune-o-matic style bridge is nice, you don't have to loosen the strings to change the intonation and it stays in tune nicely once the strings are broken in. The EMG active 81/85 set is included and it comes with Grover tuners. // 8

Sound: It's perfect for metal and hard rock. The pickups scream and sound amazing. I'm playing it through a Fender Frontman 212R and a BBE Maxcom Compressor/Limiter/Maximizer and a DigiTech RP80 through the effects loop. It's noisy when I use the high gain setting on the amp but I'm sure that's the amp. I've run it through the RP80 through the front of the amp and it's quiet, it's not noisy at all. The notes ring out great without being muddy. The cleans are great too, pristine sounding and not harsh at all. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up good, the action was a bit high but the intonation was right on. The action was easy to fix though. I set it nice and low, readjusted the intonation in all of ten minutes. All the controls were tight and feel firm and quality. They're not loose and nothing on this guitar feels cheap. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's very sturdy, the input jack has held up, the knobs have held up just fine as well as the strap buttons. Nothing has needed tightening and I've had it for 6 months now. I've gigged with it a couple times and it hasn't let me down. I would never play a gig without a backup just in case strings broke or I needed alternate tunings but if I had to, I wouldn't be worried about the guitar itself failing me. It seems like it will last a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I was playing metal and it was perfect, I play more rock now and I've found myself switching to my other Schecter with DiMarzio PAF Pro and Super Distortion. To my ears, the Dimarzios sing while the EMGs scream. I've been playing for 17 years, I own a Kustom Quad Jr. Halfstack, Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head, the Schecter Damien 6 and the Schecter B-52... If it were lost or stolen I'd definitely replace it. I love the finish, it's so much nicer than the pictures online show. It's my favorite feature on the guitar, There's nothing I hate on this guitar. I compared it to the Hellraiser 006 but I couldn't get that one out here, I almost got the She Devil but I wanted the EMG pickups. The only thing I wish it had was Spertzel Locking Tuners but I'll have those put in when I get back to the states. // 9

Hellraiser Deluxe Reviewed by: mattielash, on december 09, 2010

Features: I bought this guitar in 2008 when it was brand new. It has twenty four frets, with some sweet crescent moon inlays and this weird eye thing at the twelfth fret. I was made in indonesia I'm pretty sure, and it also had the sticker on it that was like made out side of U.S. But assembled at our U.S. factory. It has a three piece maple neck that is super slim and smooth, its the thinnest neck I have every played. It has a rosewood fingerboard. It has like a quilt top that is a red sunburst to black around the edges. It is a Strat type body, and has string thru body design. It has one volume and one tone nob with a three way switch. The pickups are an 81 EMG in the bridge and an 85 EMG in the neck position. The tuners are grovers. // 9

Sound: The sound is pretty awesome with this guitar. The neck is bolt on and I know some people do not like that, but I love it and it causes no problems for me. These active pick ups are really awesome. I play in a Christian metal band, I know weird right, but we play impending doom, haste the day, a plea for purging, for today, as I lay dying and as well as our own originals and this guitar does an amazing job. I play it in drop a with some thicker gauge Ernie Ball strings. I don't use this guitar very much out side of the metal genre, the active pick ups are to raunchy for my church service I play in. So the guitar isn't one dimensional but I'm not going to be like those guys that tell you it can do every style under the sun, cause all guitars can do that its up to the player to get the sound he wants, as long as his guitar isn't junk he can usually do it. Any way, I have a Marshall fifty watt combo amp that I have in my room with my DigiTech RP 500 that I have set to a wanna be triple rectifier mesa boogie. That sounds grand in my little room. I also have a Hughes And Kettner half stack that is a black series vortex. I usually use my pedal with the half stack at shows and practices and such, because its distortion is lacking, but its just a solid state head so I do not rely upon it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty nice, but I raised the pick ups a little and lowered the bridge quite a bit to get a nice low action. Everything other than the slight changes I made were in grade a shape. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used it live many times and it holds its own, it doesn't fall apart lol. The hardware is really good. I have to make sure I clean it though cause the dark black chrome hardware shows sweat and dead skin really easy and I sweat a lot when I play. The strap buttons are good, I'm definitely going to eventually put strap locks on but college sucks the money right out of me at the moment. I always have a back up guitar at the shows. It would be foolish not to. Just because life is unprecedented and strings break. The finish is great and it has not even startted wearing off yet. // 7

Overall Impression: I love this guitar for my metal music. It is a wonderful match and I'm glad I traded for it. I have been playing for about 7 years now. If this was stolen I would contemplate buying this one again definitely but I would look at maybe getting a Standard hellraiser with a set neck because let's face it, they are nicer. I really do love everything about it. The only thing I would ever really complain about is that it is a little heavy and after going ape at a show my back is sore, but its nothing really to complain about. I compared it to like a c 1 standard, but I wanted a set of EMG pick ups because all my favorite bands use them and their sound is out of this world for in your face sound. I compared it to ibanez, but personally I didn't like the ones i tried at guitar center. Anything I wish it had? Maybe I could wish it was a seven string, but I am really happy with what I bought, it was what I wanted and I'm very happy with my choice. // 8

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014