Hellraiser Solo 6 Review

9.1
 9.2
reviews (2) pictures (1) 24 comments vote for this gear:
Hellraiser Solo 6 Reviewed by: LoweRider, on june 30, 2009

Features: This is a new model guitar from Schecter. It is a 24 extra jumbo fret guitar on a 25.5" scale. It has a solid mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fretboard with gothic cross inlays. It has a set neck and string-thru body style. It is equipped with EMG 81TW/89 with coil-taps on the volume knobs. It has Schecter locking tuners. // 9

Sound: This guitar is perfectly suited for metal and screams deep tone. The active pickups surprisingly deliver great cleans. The coil taps for each pickup allow a single coil humbucker sound, which is a cool feature, but I don't find it useful. The stock D'addario strings are a limiting factor on this guitar, and should be switched out. As soon as I switched the string to DRs, the sound was a lot clearer and had a much better tone for metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck needs to be adjusted a little but to get rid of the minor fret buzzing I got using drop tunings. A small adjustment will make this axe ready to play buzz free. This guitar also maintains its tune great. The neck is somewhat thick, but it works great for me, as I have larger hands. The neck of this guitar is one of the reasons why I bought this guitar. The finish on this guitar is absolutely beautiful. It's red quilted maple top with its silver outline is a great color combination. It's built for metal, and it's design fits it perfectly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: For $750, this guitar is a steal. I would put this guitar up against any guitar that costs 3-4 times as much. It's a heavy guitar, and it reflects is durability. My guitar strap accidentally came loose and the guitar fell to the ground. I picked it up, not a scratch, ding, or scuff found and maintained its tuning perfectly. I can definitely see myself using this guitar on stage, it's an awesome guitar and holds up against the big boys. // 10

Overall Impression: If you play any form of hard rock and metal, this guitar is for you. If you want a clean tone as well, this performs equally as good. If this guitar was stolen. I would go berserk and hunt someone down, but I would definitely buy it again. Schecter makes great guitars. // 10

Hellraiser Solo 6 Reviewed by: jgsb2001, on january 24, 2011

Features: This is my first Schecter guitar and my third guitar overall. The other two guitars are Ibanez (SA 160QM and S7420). Made in Indonesia the Les Paul-esque Hellraiser body is made of mahagony and is abalone bound. I ordered mine in white . . . the binding with dark chrome hardware make this a very sexy guitar. The neck is 24-frets and feels sleek and thin (comparable to my Ibanez guitars). Pickup combo is EMG 81TW and 89. Each has a dedicated volume knob that can split each humbucker to single coil. The locking tuners were a nice touch. They may not be considered the best (Schecter's own brand) but they work and are useful. For the price, this guitar would be hard to beat. The look is classic, the tone versatile, and the neck fast. I must say the positioning of the hardware is excellent. The knobs never get in the way of my playing, which I can't say the same for my Ibanez 160QM. Overall, this section gets a 9 because I love all of the features. A locking nut, strap locks, and an included case would have gotten this section a 10. // 9

Sound: My setup: Marshall 30 Watt, DigiTech RP500, Morpheus Drop Tune. I outfitted my 160QM guitar with DiMarzio D-Activators . . . the comparisons below are made with that in mind. I bought this guitar to satisfy my desire for a high quality, fixed bridge, high output guitar. This is definitely a metal guitar, but I can't see why this wouldn't play well in jazz or anything else with a proper set (amp, board, tweaking). Acoustically, the sound is full and strong - you could easily practice with this guitar unamplified. Amplified - After reading so many negative things about EMGs (sterile, one dimensional, over-used) I was completely blown away by their versatility. The 89 (bridge) is extremely dark in tone and may surprise some who are used to/want a more bright sound. The 81TW (neck) is bright, aggressive and open sounding. I have a lot of fun using my RP500 and the split coils of the EMGs. I feel that they are versatile and would satisfy most players of rock, metal, and pop. Overall, this section gets a 9 because the pickups sound great and are versatile. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I opened the box I was very impressed by the look of the guitar. There weren't any obvious scratches, blemishes or other cosmetic defects. The one flaw was on the back of the guitar. The compartment cover for the tone pots had a misaligned screw. The left-most screw completely missed the wood panel inside the compartment (guess that is partly why the hand crafted guitars cost so much). Action was perfect for my tastes. I could see someone with different tastes lowering the action a touch more, but overall, a really good setup. I did Switch out the strings after one week and I like the sound much better with my DRs (10 gauge). Overall, this section gets an 8 mainly because of the misaligned screw on the back panel. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is heavy and seemingly durable. I would get strap locks, but other than that this guitar should stand up to any type of wear and tear. Cosmetically, the white with abalone binding is pure beauty and the dark hardware really adds a nice accent. I really like the headstock of the guitar because of the continued abalone border and the cool fleur de lis graphic. There is a lot of nice detail in this guitar, making this feel like a bargain for the price. Overall, this section gets a 9 for its durability and reliability. It does not receive a 10 because obvious stains will show and my guitar string was able to create a visible scratch. // 9

Overall Impression: The Hellraiser perfectly matches my tastes in music - rock and metal. The split coil pickups allow for another level of versatility and I bet that any style of sound can be achieved with the right amp and settings. Before purchasing, I played this guitar and various ESPs. I decided on the Schecter because of the value I saw in the guitar over the ESPs. The one major flaw with this purchase - no case offered. And when I researched to find the right case it was out of stock for two weeks. Not a huge deal, but I'm guessing most guitar players consider a case a necessary piece of equipment and would like it paired with a purchase. The proper case for this guitar is: Schecter SGR-9SC. I purchased this from amazon.com. // 8

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.8 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014