Hellraiser Tempest Review

review (1) pictures (3) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Hellraiser Tempest Reviewed by: Razoreye, on january 14, 2010

Price paid: € 495

Purchased from: Alphenaar

Features: My Schecter Hellraiser Tempest was made in 2009, in South Korea. It features a mahagony neck with 22 frets and "gothic cross" inlays. It is a set-neck. The body is mahagony with a maple top and the body style feels a bit like a combination between a Les Paul and a Strat. The neck is quite thick for a metal guitar, but that doesn't bother me, as I have large hands. The black cherry finish is absolutely gorgious and it still looks exact the same as when I bought it about three weeks ago. The bridge is a TonePros TOM w/Thru-Body, and it's really easy to tune it with the Grover tuners. Switching strings is also pretty easy. It also features two splittable active EMG's with a 3-way selector and it has two tone and two push/pull volume knobs. The only downside was that it didn't come with any accessoires. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my music style perfectly. I play almost everything, but mostly metal and rock. With the EMG 81-TW/89 combination you can't go wrong. It is basically the well-known EMG 81/85 setup, but with the coil-splitting feature which will give you the same sound as a Strat. I play through a Line 6 POD Studio GX, and it sounds amazing. The pickups are not noisy at all, you don't even hear then nost of the time. The sustain is incredible and you can make beautiful harmonics with it. You can get a lot of sounds out of this guitar: from rich, warm and full sounds with the humbuckers to bautiful cleans with the single coils. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar, it was set-up very well. The action is quite low, but I don't have any fret buzz. The pickups are also very well adjusted. I don't think they will ever come loose. When I bought it it had one flaw, as it had a loose volume knob, (only this one, the other Schecters didn't have it, but this was the only one with the black cherry finish) however, they repaired it with no additional costs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I already have played with is live, but I wouldn't play with it without a backup. Not because the guitar is bad, but you always can get a broken string. I think that the hardware and finish will last, but I don't know for sure as I only have this guitar for about three weeks. The strap buttons are solid too as far as I know. // 10

Overall Impression: I play the guitar now for 18 months, mosly metal and rock. This guitar suits my style very well and it's the best guitar I have at this moment, I also own an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, an ESP LTD KH-202, and an Ibanez SA160. It plays like a combination between a Strat, a Les Paul and it sounds really, really good. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy it again, even if it would cost 1000 dollars. I compared it to other products too, but this one was a lot better than all others in it's price range (which is normally around 750 euro's/dollars). It is just a high-end guitar with a mid-end price tag. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ C-1 Blackjack ATX FR 9.2 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014