Hollywood Classic Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 01/20/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Hollywood Classic
This guitar sounds great and handles everything I throw at it with ease. This is more than just a rock monster as with the coil tap and other controls I have been able to get every sound I wanted. It continually surprises me and I just love the way the strings ring on clean settings. One of the best and most adaptable I have played.
 8.5
 9.8
 7.2
review (1) pictures (3) 32 comments vote for this gear:
Hollywood Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 20, 2012

Purchased from: Guitarguitar

Features: This guitar has a great spec. I was looking for something that was well made and adaptable as I play all sorts of music. I was impressed with Schecter reviews and with a C-1 Plus, that I had played not long before my purchase. It has a mahogany body with solid flamed maple wings. It also has a neck-Thru design, with 25.5" scale. The neck is multi-laminate maple. The fingerboard is ebony, which is what I prefer, it has 24 Jumbo frets and it "Schecter Crest" at 12th fret. There are dot markers along the top of the neck so you always know where you are. The Seymour Duncan SH-11/SH-1N passive pick-ups are superb, especially when combined with the high sustain construction. It only has one volume and once control but this makes life easy and when this is combined with the coil tap and 3-way toggle it gives an awesome range of sounds. The tone-pros bridge and thru-body string system add to the sustain. It has grover locking tuners, creme binding on the neck and headstock and chrome Hardware. Mine is a beautiful transparent red model and all have a distinctive wide clear strip through the centre so that you can see the maple thru-neck construction. If you asked me to specify the features that I would like in a guitar I probably would have come up with this. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds great and handles everything I throw at it with ease. The pick-ups have real bite and easily handle aggressive rock and metal. It has awesome natural sustain. Even when not plugged-in, if I strum it you can hear the natural resonance of the instrument. This is more than just a rock monster as with the coil tap and other controls I have been able to get every sound I wanted. It continually surprises me and I just love the way the strings ring on clean settings. One of the best and most adaptable I have played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Nothing to complain about. It played well out of the box. The neck is clean and fast. The fret board gets slightly wider towards the body. That makes it easier for me to play accurate and fast high up. As I said earlier I like ebony fret boards. The only change I have made was to set the pick-ups up the way I like them but that is just because of my personal taste. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its built like a tank, everything seems solid and the quality of the construction is obvious. The electronics are of good quality and well tested in Schecter's other models. The only thing that some might find off-putting is that this is a very solidly built, which makes it heavy so it gets a 9 rather than 10. // 9

Overall Impression: I am back playing after a long break and have bonded with this guitar in a way I never did with my USA Strat or other guitars in the past. It is everything I could wanted and more than expected. Maybe it won't handle trad jazz but I have a semi-acoustic for that It does everything else from clean blues and rock, to the heaviest metal and through to experimental rock. OK the solid constriction means its heavy but I'd rather have that than skimp on other elements that make it my favourite out of several guitars that I own. Everyone will have their own personal favourites when it comes to style but I think it looks beautiful IMHO. Looks aside it is the quality and refusal to compromise on the design that make me rank it up there with the best. If you get the chance to try one just check through all the sounds and you will see what I mean. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014