Loomis-FR Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 08/29/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Loomis-FR
Designed by Jeff Loomis of metal masters Nevermore, this extended scale 7-String Schecter electric guitar features an arched ash body with a set-in 26.5" scale maple neck.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 9.2
 9.1
 9.2
reviews (3) pictures (1) 32 comments vote for this gear:
Loomis-FR Reviewed by: StraightHate, on june 23, 2009

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Features: Schecter 2009 Jeff Loomis-FR Year - 2009 Country of Origin - Korea / setup done at Schecter USA Construction - Set-Neck w/ Ultra-Access Body - Ash Neck - Maple Frets - 24 jumbo Scale - 26.5" Pickups - EMG707 Electronics - Single Volume Knob \ 3 Way Switch Bridge - Original Floyd Rose 7 Tuners - Groover Hardware - Black Chrome Finish - Satin Color - Vampyre Red Satin (Blood Red) I waited 10 weeks for this guitar to come in and was well worth it. The guitar came in mint condition and is a really beautiful instrument. I'm basically a metal player and this guitar had all the features I was looking for. The only real complaint I have, is that it didn't come with a case. I did order a Gator case for it. Weight is also a factor if you coming from a Strat or you're a smaller person you will notice the difference. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds incredible. I'm a metal player and it fits my style to a T. At the store, I played a Line 6 and Peavey amps at the store just to hear it and was impressed. Even, unplugged it sounds terrific... When I got home and plugged into my Boss GT-8 is when my jaw really hit the ground. I dialed my gain back just a touch on my main patch and this thing just screams. Crushing tight heavy tone and the highs are crystal clear as well. Cleans are decent but it really excels with distorted tone. Excellent overal tonal qualities. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar itself came flawless (no noticable defects). The guitar is a longer scale and heavier than I am used but I quickly adapted. The action was pretty high on the intital setup but I quickly resolved that with some tweaking. I set it up for medium action and changed the battery in the first week. The finish is great... It's a visually stunning axe. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Schecter makes solid guitars. This guitar is a tank and I'm not worried about it's durability. The strap buttons on my last Schecter did loosen up but so far the Loomis has been excellent. Time will tell if the finish will fade however I take meticulous care of my equipment (yes, gear nerd) so I doubt it. The original Floyd is awesome, I've been beating on the bar quite a bit and this thing stays in tune even with the most extreme whammy abuse. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for my style of play. I've been playing for many years and I've had some nice guitars over that time. For the money, this is one of the best guitars out there (at least for my style of music). If it was lost or stolen I would replace it in a heartbeat... One final thought, if you have the money... Go get one. // 9

Loomis-FR Reviewed by: LACoF666, on march 05, 2010

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: * CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Set-Neck / 26.5" * BODY: Ash * NECK/FINGERBOARD: Maple/Maple * FRETS: 24 Jumbo * INLAYS: Metal Cross * PICKUPS: Active EMG 707 * ELECTRONICS: Vol/3-Way switch * BRIDGE: Original Floyd Rose 7 String Tremolo * TUNERS: Grover * HARDWARE: Black Overall I'm very happy with all of the features. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal so this guitar is perfect for me. I use a Randall RX120RH and RX412 amp and a Boss GT-10 Effects pedal. This guitar is so loud when you crank it up, it has a rich, full sound, it sounds amazing clean, and harmonics sound great, so, a great overall sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up very well, the pickups were (And still are) perfect, the bridge is perfect too, the action is excellent and the only two flaws were that the headstock had a little chip on it, but that doesn't effect how it plays or anything, so no big deal, and the other flaw is that I had to replace the strap buttons because one of them broke. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played it live, but I'm pretty sure I could play it without a backup, the hardware is really good, I think it'll last quite a while, I had to put new strap buttons on it because the first day I got I was jamming and one of the buttons broke, but luckily I was able to catch it before it fell on the ground, and the finish is absolutely gorgeous. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play mostly metal so this guitar is perfect for me. I've been playing for 3 years and I also own an ESP LTD Deluxe MH-1000, a ESP LTD F-50, an IbanezSRX690DX Soundgear bass, ESP LTD F-155DX 5-string bass, a Behringer bass amp, a Randall guitar amp, and a Boss GT-10 guitar effects pedal. If it were lost or stolen I would want to replace it, but I wouldn't be able to afford it, and that's why I bought a case with a lock and a key so I'm the only one who can take it in and out of the case. I love the action, I love that it has 24 frets, and I love that it has a maple fretboard, and I can't really think of anything I hate about it. I didn't compare it to any other guitar because when I first saw it I fell in love with it, and I'm still in love. // 9

Loomis-FR Reviewed by: rami80, on august 29, 2011

Purchased from: Sadek Music Center

Features: - Year: 2010 - 26.5 scale neck neck - Ash body - Neck: Maple Fingerboard: Maple - Frets: 24 extra jumbo - Metal Cross enlays - Pickups: EMG 707 (Bridge & Neck) - One volume no tone 3 way switch - 7 string OFR - Grover Tuners - Black chrome hardware I was able to get a free case the features overall are great (never used the tone nob). The neck is a bit thick but I prefer a bigger neck as it fits my hand better. // 10

Sound: I was surprised when I first plugged it in I was expecting to hear the annoying sound I've read the EMG's give off they are actually very clear and clean up when rolling the volume down. The guitar suits mainly all styles I even enjoyed playing blues on it but if you want to unleash its full potential crank up the distortion and you can hear the sound of destruction. I use this guitar with a Line 6 UX2 connected to a Fender Mustang IV 150 watts (I use the UX2 because I hate the amp's effects). I was able to get an amazing sound, the clean sounds bright and clear specially when the switch is in the middle position. The EMG's are less noisy then other pickups but when next to a PC they tend to pickup noise more then passive pickups. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was ready to play out of the box but I changed the action to my liking. The pickup height was just how I like it. The bridge was parallel. Yes the guitar was tuned when I bought it. I searched it a hundred times a couldn't find a finish flaw. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can without a doubt withstand live playing. I doubt the OFR will fail and the pickups are wired perfectly. As for the strap buttons I haven't had any problems with these things but I'm going to change them just in case. The finish looks like it will last unless you don't care of it a leave the sweat to dry. // 9

Overall Impression: I play many styles but I focus on jazz fusion and metal the guitar definitely suits the second more then the first but with some tweaking in the effects you can get a nice jazzy sound. I've been playing for 4 years I've owned a Jackson JS with a floyd, which I adore despite its an entry level guitar it rocks, I've owned a Fender Stratocaster which I sold out of hate. But the Loomis is in my opinion the best guitar I can own due to it amazing sound and playability. I wanted to get a Petrucci seven string but it just was not comfortable to play on. I just wish the EMG's were not soldered but connected with the quick connect system. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ C-1 Blackjack ATX FR 9.2 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014