Omen-7 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 04/22/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Omen-7
An omen is a sign, and Schecter was right in naming this guitar the Omen. With its sleek carved top basswood body, 24-fret bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, and 2 Diamond humbuckers, it's sure to be a signal that great sound quality and beautiful design go hand-in-hand.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 7.2
reviews (10) pictures (4) 32 comments vote for this gear:
Omen-7 Reviewed by: shoebox_of_lies, on march 13, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Clinic

Features: Basswood body, maple/rosewood neck, 24 frets, dotted inlays, Diamond Plus pickup, chrome hardware, electronics include a 3-way, volume, and tone. Not to mention it has 7 strings. // 8

Sound: It sounds great with any you play it with; the extra string lets hit those mind-blowing power chords to play along with metal guys without having to down-tune. The strings are easily bent to play along with the greats of classic rock. I use an old Peavy amp the size of a small coffee table, so you wouldn't expect much coming from that, but the Omen 7 delivers great sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The cut-in goes far up, but it makes it a little difficult to reach the 23rd and 24th frets. It's a light body, so it makes it easy to pull off those behind-your-head or between-the-legs solos. I would have enjoyed a few more controls, like bass and brillliance. I was also a little disapointed this didnt have a whammy-bar. But other than the few things I listed, it was an amazing buy at 700 bucks, everything is awesome on it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Nice and solid, it's lasted me the few shows I've done. I haven't owned it that long, but the hardware is standing fine, the tuning pegs are nice and tight. The strap buttons make it a little hard to get the strap itself on, but once it is, it ain't comin off without a fight. So far the gloss-black finish hasn't got a scratch on it. // 9

Overall Impression: This goes great with my style of music, which is just about everything from bluegrass to heavy metal. I've been playing for 8 years, and this is my first 7 string, but once you go with that extra bass string, it makes a world of difference to your playing. Like I said, I love the 7th string, the small light frame, the 24 frets, and plus the fact that it looks beautiful. The things I dislike were the lack of whammy bar, and the cut-in could have went a tiny but deeper. The best electric guitar I own. // 9

Omen-7 Reviewed by: leenux5030, on november 17, 2012

Price paid: € 320

Purchased from: Musikverkstan (Goteborg)

Features: This one had a walnut satin finish, 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard maple neck, tune o matic bridge, Ernie Ball strings, and Tusq nut, basswood body (which makes this guitar lighter than my 6 string Jackson which has alder body). This is Schecter Omen 7 I am talking about not Omen 7 Extreme, so this guitar didn't come up with any laminated neck, inlays and fancy finishes. This guitar came up with life time free service, which is good other wise guitars can take a good amount of time to get right setup. Well for that price you can't ask for more, and I actually wanted to buy Ibanez RGA7, but then I came across this guitar and for 2000 SEK less price Omen 7 is defiantly a better guitar not only because of price but also based on sound. RGA7 had a thinner neck and thinner body, but yet it failed to impress me. // 8

Sound: I am a big time digger of Meshuggah, Textures, Dream Theater and Gojira. And always wanted to play and learn their songs. And the other guitar I have is a Jackson PS4 Performer with Floyd Rose and I wish to keep standard tuning on it, and wanted a second guitar to try tabs of other bands, and 7 strings and fixed tail bridge makes the job easy. And therefore I wanted to buy a not so expensive 7 string guitar just for practice sake. And this guitar seemed to be a good choice. I tried this guitar on a Blackstar Amp in the shop where it sounded pretty decent. But when I brought it home and plugged it into my Behringer 15 watt amp, well sound wasn't impressive. After few weeks I gave up on that stock bridge pickup, replaced it with DiMarzio Blaze 7. Sound wise (after the pickup change)I got no complaints. Sounds pretty decent. It can easily deliver Gojira "Toxic Garbage Island" type sound. I got pretty busy with lot of things in my life after buying this guitar, so I haven't honestly spent a good amount of time in exploring this guitar. A few months back I found some tabs of Meshuggah "Catch 33" album, so I was playing em on it. And if you don't know the songs from that album has guitars tuned down to F#. And I was able to play them on this. So that was pretty good. But yeah the strings had so less tension in them that you cannot palm mute on that low tuning, at least on this guitar. Also on such low tunings the 7th strings tunning doesn't holds that good. And the guitar acoustically sounds decent. After installing DiMarzio Blaze 7, I got no complaints about sound. But the stock pickups were quite muddy and noisy too. Not to the extreme annoying level though. And also had this feeling that there is something lacking. But compared to the pickups on Ibanez RGA7 the stock pickups on Omen 7 win hands down. And the ratting sound wise after pickup exchange will be 9-10. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I felt the action was a bit low, then I raised it. But then many of my friends addressed me as a retard for having such high action. So I guess the action was appropriate. As this is my 1st 7 string, I felt a huge difference between this guitar and my 6 string guitar in terms of playability. The major change that I still haven't got used to is the distance between each strings, I feel the strings are a bit more closely placed to each other. The arpeggios that I used to play very easily on 6 strings, now I have to struggle to get them right. Also as the scale length is 26.5, the frets are bit more bigger than those on 6 string guitar, so I find it a bit tough to play those extra strechy chords. But yeah that is a trade off, larger scale length allows lower tunning. And the neck joint is a bit angled towards the neck so its not a total cuboidal joint, so allows a bit ore easy access to higher frets. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live with it, but I am fairly sure that I can count on it under live conditions. The hardware seems pretty decent. And yes strap buttons are good, I have been playing this guitar since last year I have't noticed any problems with strap buttons. Yes I highly doubt the satin finish. As I mentioned earlier that this is one of my less played guitars, and its got that oil stain near the bridge pickup from my palm. I haven't managed to get rid of that oil stain, I used those guitar cleaning products from Planet Waves it didn't help. The stain remains. And this one time I was changing strings and the highly advertised TUSQ nut came off. But that ain't a big deal, those things are not meant to be super glued. So I used some wood glue and sticked it back. Besides that I haven't noticed any other faults on this guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I play progressive metal, and honestly speaking I have never managed to connect with this guitar so well, that is because I have two other 6 string guitars which I feel very comfortable with. I pick up this guitar every now and then in attempt to play some doom metalish stuff, which sounds good on it. The main reason I don't play it much is that it is a totally different instrument its not like a 6 string guitar with one extra string, I have to practice a while to get used to it. Not that its a bad guitar, it is most likely because of my inexperience with 7 strings. The fat neck and a bit too closely placed strings are the biggest hindrance for me. I have been playing guitar for 4 years, and over that my left hand is sort of broken. I also own a Jackson PS4 Performer and a self made Telecaster with a Jackson neck (yeah that is pretty weird, but Jackson has probably the best necks). I have a very bad practice amp (behringer ) but in reharsal room I use a Peavey Bandit (which I think sucks). I wish this guitar had come up with a bit thinner neck and more spacing between the strings. Otherwise sound wise its fine. If this was stolen, I would feel bad because 3200 SEK + 900 SEK for pickup is a good amount of money to feel bad about. But I won't buy this one again. I would in fact stick to 6 strings, and focus on something I am more comfortable with. But In case I am still interested in 7 strings I would go for the Woodoo Guitars 7 string one that guitar is pretty cool. I compared this guitar with Ibanez RGA7, and this guitar is much better than RGA7. // 7

Omen-7 Reviewed by: AngryGoldfish, on january 28, 2008

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: Although I am unaware what year it was made in, I know it's fairly recent. It has 24 medium jumbo frets and 25 1/4 inch scale neck to compensate for the lower tunings. It has a laminated top made of Figured Maple and the body is made from Basswood while the finger board is made of Rosewood placed on top of a Maple neck. It has Vector Inlays which look spiffing in my eyes. The bridge is a TOM bridge and has a string thru body. The pickups are two Schecter Alnico Humbuckers. It has a Strat style body shape but I guess you would of checked the picture out by now. It has a volume and tone pot with a three way selector Switch. The nifty little thing about the tone pot is the option to pull it up which disengages the humbuckers and reverses into single coils. A great little edition if you ask me! // 7

Sound: I love playing Korn and Deftones and it suits those very well. Although the pickups can be muddy playing chords, expecially low end power chords, one note groove riffs work a treat. I used my Vox AD 30VT on a low gain setting with plenty of treble and middle to compensate for the low end sludge. It can be a little noisy but for that price, it's to be expected. You have to raise all the settings to increase the tonal quality, which can in turn create a little feedback. The brightness comes from when you activate the single coil option in the pickups. It then becomes sharp and evil. Because of this option there is obviously plenty of tonal options. This is where this guitar shines, the more you mess around with the tones, the more you realise how diverse it is, the more you begin to like it. But like I mentioned, the tone can become mushy and slurd even when you play high up on the fretboard which detracts from the great looks and tonal variety. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was too low I'm afraid and created enormous fret buzz, particularly on the lower strings. Even after raising it at the bridge, I realised that the problem was in the neck itself and I have no experience in altering necks so I will have to look it up and practise first. The pickups, as I have said, are not the best but it could be nothing to do with the position of them, I have no idea. There were many flaws in the finish, both on the back and front. The plastic coating on the pickups became wedged in the bracket holding the coils and will not come out. The Veneer had a large blemish in it and had already began to peel off even more on the surface. This is a serious flaw and will require either sending back or fixing professionaly. The cream binding doesn't seem to have any flaws or niches and the same goes for the fretboard which seems to be adequate. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have yet to play this guitar Live, but I would not trust it like my Maverick or Epiphone. The hardware seems to be quite sturdy and the tone and volume pots, along with the pickup selector, are very strong in their hollowed out position. The strap buttons seem to do the job as well, the strap seems very tight in its place. I can't depend on a guitar that has so many flaws, I just don't have that kind of personality. By the looks of it, the finish will not last as the veneer is already peeling off. // 7

Overall Impression: I play all alternative heavy metal and soft rock like Strokes and Interpol but also love Blues and Jazz. It suits Korn one string riffs but it doesn't cut Deftones or lead playing very well due to its thick and noisy pickups. I own far superior gear to this, but this is not as expensive as other instruments I own. I wished I asked about the neck profile and quality first because pickups can be changed, but the neck is a different story I am not to well informed on. I would buy a different guitar, I don't mind paying the extra cash for the corresponding improved neck and sound. I love the brittle and biting sound of the single coils when you hit those low strings with power, it's very punkish and contains the attitude of a true axeman! Apart from that there is nothing I can say concerning the sound that impresses me very much. Either sending it back or replacing the pickups is my choice! Nonetheless it's pretty good, worth the money I hope and looks the business! // 7

Omen-7 Reviewed by: MetalMa5ness, on january 07, 2011

Purchased from: Project music

Features: It is the Schecter Omen Extreme seven, it was made in indonisia in 2010 . It has a mahogany body with maple top and it has a 26.5" scale neck with "vector inlays". The brige is string through body and it has a bolt on neck with Schecter Diamond plus pickups and coil tap. The guitar is also surprisingly light. // 9

Sound: The cleans on this guitar are very good and the pickups produce a very full tone but the coil tap makes the guitar sound slightly thin. I tend to play many different types of metal from lacuna coil and deaftones to scar symmetry and unearth and this guitar can manage all that I play with ease if you are looking for versitility this is a great guitar. The distortion is very thick and quite middy which I see as a bonus and I was quite surprised at the sound of the stock pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't really coment on the action because the shop I bought it from set it up for me but everything asthetically on the guitar is great with no flaws at all. The pickups on the guitar were seated pefectly and the nut on the guitar seems stable and the tuning is relative ly stable but does go off as any other guitar does. The pickup selector is quite stiff though, the electronics on the guitar seem to have been done quite neatly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar for about two weeks now and it seems very well built and not flimsy at all, the strap buttons a quite solid but I use strap locks on all my guitars anyway. I think I could depend on it without a backup. The guitar has a great finish and I couldn't see it scraching or denting very easily. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about five years now and own three other electric guitars and this is my first seven and I am very pleased with it. I play through a Bugera 6262 head through a Peavey 412ms cab with sheffields and it works very well with this guitar. If it were stolen I would buy it again unless I could afford a damien elite. // 10

Omen-7 Reviewed by: sic_riffs, on january 07, 2011

Purchased from: Aire Valley Guitars

Features: I'm guessing that it was probably made in Indonesia, it is pretty much brand new I checked the serial number and it matches up with a late 2010 model basically tweaked slightly pickup wise and logo wise. It has 24 nickel frets, 26.5" scale, 2 passive Schecter stock humbuckers, the bridge is a Standard string thru body design, 7 strings, the nut is a graph tech tusq and a Stratocaster shape body and the body is made of basswood, the neck is made of maple and the fret board is made of rosewood, the neck is a bolt on and it is sloped on the bolts for easy access to the upper frets, so it's pretty simple stuff that make up this nice guitar plus I got a free gigbag with it too cause I'm friends with the owner hehe. // 9

Sound: Sound wise on the bridge pickup it's very untamed at first and takes a bit of tweaking via the amp to get the guitar sounding great, I basically whack up the treble and give it lots of bass and cut out the mid range (I hate distorted mids) so I get a good djenty yet beefy tone from it which is what I would expect from the basswood body, Clean it's nice and snappy with plenty of bite but the lower register lacks body so I did a bit of tweaking on my amps behalf and boosted the bass and mids slightly and that fixed the problem, on the neck pickup which I always use either slightly distorted or clean it has a woody, hollow sort of tone which in weird way I kind of like it's great for jazz and softer deftones style stuff. I play metal no doubt but I also love jazz and this guitar delivers a bang for your buck (or pound in my case)and literally with the bottom string as a heavy gauge 62 this reached G# easily and lower to F# with ease thanks to the extra scale length. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck on this guitar isn't small at all it's rather wide for a seven string but that adds to the magic of it, I like to have a challenge playing a guitar and it's a challenge for my small fingers but it's really flat so it's easy to get around on. The guitar was set up fine apart from the B string it was a tad too low and created a tiny amount of fret buzz which was easily remedied without sacrificing playing comfort, the finish on the neck was smooth and easily playable, the bridge was fine and so were the tuners and controls, no loose hardware or anything just wonderful. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is as hard as rock I bashed a little once but no damage at all occured until I saw the wall (oops..) the hardware is nickel plated steel so it's tough stuff the nickel would probably be prone to scratching though and the strap buttons were tight, I haven't gigged with it yet but I believe it would do well especially seen as it is my first seven and the finish would definitely put up with sweat and other abuse. // 9

Overall Impression: I play most styles of metal and jazz and I like it especially seen as it is a budget seven string and it's got a little something special about it and trust me I played the same one and it feels different, I have played on an Ibanez RG7321 and an ESP ltd SC 207 feel wise it feels like the ltd, sound wise totally different, it definitely is up with those two guitars, it's a great guitar I'd recommend it to anyone, if it were stolen or lost I would buy it again along with the new Omen 8 model for 2011 both of these guitars are complete steals. // 10

Omen-7 Reviewed by: SylKain, on february 25, 2011

Price paid: € 100

Features: This Omen 7 is Korean made seven string guitar, mid 00's from what I know, featuring a PRS reminiscing basswood body, a 24 fret rosewood neck, with a string through body bridge, brand made passive pickups and tuners, a single volume and single tone control and three way pickup toggle switch. I bought it from a friend so I don't know if it comes with a gigbag or any tools. Pretty much it fits the Standard entry level metal guitar profile: basic yet with the right features to make it a decent starting point for anyone looking for a useful instrument at a bargain price. // 8

Sound: I mainly use seven strings for modern to extreme metal, and this guitar seems made for this kind of music. Yet, as with most entry level instruments, the factory made pickups tend to be a bit muddy which on a seven string can cause some trouble in clarity with powerchords and it also felt a bit lifeless with the cleans. Another problem I noticed with the pickups was that unlike other similar ones (In the past I played a few Ibanez Standard RG7 and a BC Rich Warlock 7 with passive factory pups) there was a huge level gap between the clean and distorted presets I have on my Pod XT live. However once I swaped these pickups with some Duncan Blackouts the guitar did pretty well, so if you plan to buy this one keep in mind you should also start looking around for the best replacement pickup for the kind of sound you are going for. Besides that the guitar sounds pretty good acousticaly, even compared to my main recording ESP Carpenter seven string. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I won't comment on the initial set-up since I got from a friend and I can rely only on his comments, which where positive. The only thing I can say here and prompts me to give it a 6 is the neck joint which is just a square block and if you slide your hand down to reach the higher frets you'll surely slam it there, considering I saw something more ergonomicaly sculpted in some equaly priced Squiers and Ibanez guitars I feel it's quite a shortcoming on an otherwise perfect design. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As I said this is my live guitar, which I bought just because my two high quality seven strings almost got stolen during a tour and I'd rather lose a cheap one rather than one of those. After two years of Standard to heavy live show abuse I must admit I'm impressed by it, the finish still looks good and keeps the tuning pretty well something I didn't expect given it's price and specs. Considering it only required a pickup change i'd say it's a pretty good piece of equipment. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I'd say this guitar is a winner, for it's price and considering how easy it is to find used ones around this is a perfect starting point for anyone looking to try a seven string without spending much. I'd definitely look for a used one if this got stolen, even if I hope Schecter will eventually consider making a better neck joint or maybe use some EMG shaped factory pickups as it does with the new Omen 8 string. // 7

Omen-7 Reviewed by: dannyninjaBC, on january 19, 2012

Features: Cause I'm special, its left handed :) So its a 2011 model I believe, it has a black Basswood body, maple neck and rosewood neck with dot inlays. 24 frets, with a cutaway heel for ease of access - I believe in some reviews people say its quite a thick neck joint with the bolt plate, but to me (small hands) I find it manageable and non-obtrusive to higher fret access. It's a 14" radius (I think) so you notice the flatness of the fretboard on the wider 7string neck - makes my BC Rich's neck look tiny x) I've also seen reviews that say the neck is quite thick, but again I have to disagree, even with small hands its a fast neck. Features wise its a simple string-thru TOM bridge, with a TUSQ nut and standard Schecter tuners, no locking ones here. It cames supplied with a set of 10-56 D'Addarrio strings (if I remember the tag correctly). // 10

Sound: Straight out the box, I loved it instantly - I know people bash basswood a lot but this guitar just suits it to perfection, the sustain is awesome, and I blame both pickups and the body wood; its very harmonically "lively" - I can achieve some awesome pinch harmonics on all the strings. It suits my style perfectly - I play a mixture of various types of metal, from good ol'core to unearth kinda straight up metal stuff. Also starting to dabble in the djent/groove/techdeath with my super awesome 7th string. The pickups have good clarity, each note being well defined, but this is only in standard tuning (BEADGBe) so couldn't comment on definition in lower tunings. My guitar signal (thus far) goes through a Joyo 6 Band Equaliser into a Boss Metalcore ML-2 into my Vox VT15. I can get some pretty good sounds with this setup - I scooped my mids and dropped the bass frequencies a little using my EQ, and boosted the highs and I'm happy with the tone. I'm sure this guitar would stand up to other types of music well, as rolling off the volume knob gives a much more overdrived sound through my amp, instead of distortion - it also handles cleans very well. I'm thinking of swapping out the bridge PUP for a DiMarzio Evolution, just for extreme tightness on the B string. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was perfectly set up out of the box, action was low without buzz and was extremely playable - it made the transition from 6 string to 7 string very comfortable. The pickups are adjusted well as far as I am concerned, but may have a play around with pickup height in the future just to see what happens. The finish is a gloss black, with no flaws anywhere to be seen - I can't find a single flaw on the body at all, except the black strapping that Schecter uses to surround its pickups has started to fray a little from trying to scrape some accumulated dirt that was on the inside. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't yet gigged with this guitar so couldn't comment on its ability to stand up to live playing, but I would feel confident without a backup - and its not like I smash it off stuff anyway so I have no concerns about its durability. The strap buttons are large enough to keep a strap secure, but I doubt they'd keep hold of a guitar long if you were spinning it around your head like a madman. The finish seems pretty sturdy, no scratches or dents yet but again, I don't abuse my guitars (and I don't see why you would? ). With it being black gloss, dirt and fingerprints show up quickly but I enjoy cleaning my guitars so its not a problem. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I think this guitar is perfect for my musical style, and is well suited to both introducing a 7-string guitar, to 6string players, and for more seasoned 7string players as it is just a quality guitar. I decided on this guitar after meticulous internet research and never had the chance to play it before I decided I would like it as a Christmas present, but was pleasantly surprised and incredibly happy with it. If it was stolen, I would most likely replace it as it is my only &string, my now favourite guitar and I just can't live without it. // 9

Omen-7 Reviewed by: thebestjoe, on november 07, 2012

Features: Unknown year, South-Korean made, I got this Schecter as my second 7 string guitar last year. It has since become my main work horse. It has a nice, wide 24 fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard, arch-top basswood body, metallic blue finish that breaks necks, string-thru body with tune-o-matic bridge, and a 26.5 inch scale. It initially had 2 humbuckers, a 3-way switch, a volume, and a tone control, which has all long since changed. // 7

Sound: I change this guitar up pretty often, but I've found a set up that works. I have a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge. The neck pickup is dummied out. I'm using a push/pull pot for a volume control and phase switch, a mini toggle as coil split, and a nice obnoxious automotive nitrous switch for a kill switch. Believe it or not, I can pull off almost anything using this. I mainly use it for experimental stuff, and tuning changes frequently. I've used Dropped C with a high G, standard 7 string tuning, half step down. It currently sits in E standard with another high string as an Eb. Everything has come out great, and I've been able to make it usable in any situation. The stock neck pickup was extremely muddy, almost unusable. I cannot remember how the stock bridge sounded, but if you know how to properly use an X2N, I really think this guitar can do just about any style with the mods I've done. Also, I installed a Sperzel D-Thing Locking Tuner, which helps with the frequent changes. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this, there was a grounding problem. Easy fix. The action was a bit high to my tastes, and now it has the lowest action of my 12 guitars with out any fret buzz. Neck has remained straight. Not applied to stock, but sometimes the killswitch I've put on will malfunction and will always stay on. When purchased, there was a whole in the fingerboard, but it hasn't affected playability. I didn't like that the neck was finished over with Poly, so I sanded it off. Much better to my standards after. I'm not fond of the brick-like neck heel. The last downside is that I have huge hands and the cut away isn't deep, so combined with the neck heel, I have troubles getting to higher frets frequently. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've beaten this guitar to hell since I've got it. At my most recent show, I used this guitar the whole time. Water and sweat poured down everything, still in tact. It's been slammed, dropped, and kept in an unfinished garage through last winter. I'm pretty sure this guitar can survive a nuclear holocaust. Strap buttons have been long replaced with DiMarzio Clip-Locks. During a drum-line practice, I was walking around with it strapped to my back. The screw fell out for the Clip, guitar went crashing down control cavity first. No damage done except I had to fill in where the strap screwed in a little. Didn't even go out of tune. I also used this for the whole drum-line season and it has held up through travel from mountains to seaside from December to May with no adjustments needed. // 10

Overall Impression: I play modern pop for my school's pep band and heavy metal in my personal bands. This guitar has been used for both, and provided good results. If lost or stolen, the most devastating part would be all the work I put into it, but due to the relative bad resale value and durability, I can get a used one in better condition for cheap. I love how basic is was stock, which made it easy to modify. The heavy hitting combination of slim cut away and chucky neck heel hinders this guitar a lot though. After a years worth of roughness, traveling, and heavy modification, on top of being used, I'm impressed at how this guitar has held up, and this guitar lead me to getting a Schecter for my first 8 string because of the quality. // 8

Omen-7 Reviewed by: cheesybagel7, on december 21, 2013

Features: The guitar came with stock SD pickups which were okay, but I was seeking a higher gain and tighter sound so I bought the set of Blackhawks (Bare Knuckle Pickups) and I still use this guitar today. Sounds great even for passive pickups. This was also my first seven string, but I would like to upgrade some time in the near future, but I would definitely recommend this guitar for anyone who's interested in buying a relatively cheap seven string. This also came with a basic hardcase so that was a nice plus. For the money you pay, it's good quality. // 8

Sound: I play anything from metalcore/deathcore and a bit of progressive and this guitar seems to fit all of them. I run the guitar into my Line 6 HD500 and that into my NI interface through to my monitors. A bit of the quality is lost through the chain, but I also plug my ATH-50's straight into the pod to get a direct feed and it sounds great. I have to admit, a lot of the quality does come from the pod, but the guitar doesn't hinder the sound in any way. The only problem I have with this guitars sound is that with the pickups I have put in, while on a high tuning (which is rare) the gain is too high and sounds crackly, I understand I can just turn the gain down for the pod but I'd prefer not to touch it. But good sound for the price for sure. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came brand new from the factory and tuned to standard A and sounded great from the day I bought it. I personally didn't like the pickup placement, it was too high (basically only 2mm-3mm from the strings; I'd prefer a bit of room for picking. Other than that, the quality of the guitar when I bought it was flawless, not scratches or dents, the action was great, as I said very good quality. Personally I would recommend Guitar Factory as a seller, but they are notorious for overly priced products sadly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've only used this guitar for home playing and taking to uni and it doesn't seem effected by the travel at all. Basically, I trust this guitar a lot. It's never failed me, the wiring for the pickups were done professionally, the action has never hindered my playing, and seriously the only way this guitar wouldn't be good enough is if it snapped a string mid-set. But I can honestly see this guitar lasting me another few years, but by the time it would have been destroyed I would have a new guitar anyway. So what I'm trying to say, it will outlast your expectations. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm very happy with the guitar, great tone from the stock neck and bridge pickups and an amazing tone from the BKPs as well. The only thing I would like different about it would be a longer neck, note that this is just a standard neck for a full size electric guitar but I'd love a longer neck to support lower tunings. If this guitar was to be stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same guitar again, that is if I didn't have enough money to buy a new and better one. But as I said, this is a great STARTER seven string. But all up, I love this guitar. Would definitely recommend! // 9

Omen-7 Reviewed by: theavariceband, on april 22, 2014

- 24 X-Jumbo frets
- Pearloid "Semi-Goth" cross fretboard inlay
- Duncan Designed HB-7N active neck pickup
- Duncan Designed HB-7B active bridge pickup
- Master volume and tone control
- 3 position pickup selector
- TOM w/thru body bridge
- Schecter tuning machines
- Black chrome hardware
- Case sold separately // 9

Sound: The pickups are active Seymour Duncan HB-7N and HB-7B. They sound pretty damn good, and I haven't any issues with them. The neck has great sustain and is perfectly suited for leads and solos, yet sounds great while playing rhythms. I'm in a progressive metal/djent band and this thing is perfectly suited to it. We've been recording lately and my pickups are pushing my guitar very well, it's sitting very well in the mix and the lead tones are out of this world. Of course, I'd rather have some EMG 85-7x's but they still sound great and have a nice full, distinct sound. No one wants a muddy sounding pickup, and these don't disappoint. Plus they came stock, and for the cost of the guitar, I'd say it's a great deal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I've been playing on my Omen Active 7 for a little over a year and a half now, and I've gotta say, this is one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played, especially for the price. I ordered it on eBay, and right out of the box, it sounded great. I, of course, immediately restrung it and set it up to my own play style, adjusting the action and intonating it. What a guitar!

The maple neck is fairly thin, at least compared to the Ibanez guitars I have always played up until I purchased this one. It feels very solid, but fits the contour of my hand beautifully. It's like it was made to fit. It has a Rosewood fret board, that admittedly doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary, but Rosewood is a very common fretboard material and it's very comfortable, and the dark color suits me a little more than lighter colored woods, like Maple for example. It does have this pearloid cross inlay, which I personally find to be a little cheesy, but it was very well done and doesn't stand out too bad.

The paint is pretty solid, and looks good. It's black, the body is a carve top with an off white border. It has a fixed through body bridge, and even though I'm a bigger fan of Floyd Rose Tremolo's, it's surprisingly comfortable and very well constructed. It stays in tune forever, and rarely needs maintenance beyond restringing it and wiping dust from between the pickups. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't have much to gripe about, aside from a faulty pickup selector that decided that I don't need to use my bridge pickup anymore and has acquainted me with the neck pickup very intimately. I'm not as big a fan of set bridges, but this feels great and has been more than enough to keep me satisfied and prevented me from pursuing a tremolo for the time being. It's comfortable, solid and just feels how a guitar is supposed to feel. It's very easy on the eyes and ears, and has given me no troubles, besides that switch. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm in a progressive metal/djent band, and this guitar is very well suited to it. I've been playing over 11 years, and have had many guitars before this thing, but this is easily my favorite. It's super comfortable and well constructed, sounds great and doesn't require NEARLY as much maintenance as my previous Ibanez did, though it was a fairly low end 6 string tremolo and didn't stay in tune for anything. I can't say I'd want the exact same guitar if it were stolen, though this wouldn't be out of the question. Just depends on what my means were at the time and what I could afford. We all have the ideal guitar we'd love to own, but this isn't a bad guitar at all and it's served me well for a long time. I played an Ibanez RG7321 before this, and though it was a good guitar as well, for the price similarity, I think this Schecter is the better choice. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.8 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014