Omen 6 FR Review

reviews (2) pictures (1) 78 comments vote for this gear:
Omen 6 FR Reviewed by: random_B-RAD, on january 09, 2009

Price paid: A$ 400

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

Features: Despite the fact that the sticker price was $500 I payed only $400 for it due to an incorrect price in the system at Billy Hyde. It was made in 2006 in China, most Schecters are made in Korea however apparently Schecter has relocated the manufacturing site from South Korea to China. It is 25-1/2" scale with 24 jumbo frets bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. It is a solid-top basswood body with a gloss black finish. It is a Strat style body but with larger cutouts for easy access to the higher frets. It has a Licensed Floyd Rose (hence the name FR)and is fitted with basic Schecter Diamond series humbucker pickups in the neck and bridge. It has 1 vol, 1 tone and a 3 way selector Switch with Schecter Diamond tuners. // 9

Sound: I am only a beginner guitarist and I can't really play much but I prefer to play hard rock or metal riffs. Being a Schecter this guitar suits my playing style. I have a Squier SP-10 amp which is terrible but the guitar still sounds decent, the only problem is when I use my Vox V847-A wah pedal with it is sounds quite bad, but that is just because of my amp, with my friend's amp it sounds fine. It is very full, loud sound but it gets a dim sound if you do not have the tone knob up full. Because both pickups are the same you don't get much variety and it mainly gives a deeper, crunchy sound but with a bit of amp tweaking you can get many sounds out of it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Because it was the demo guitar (last one at the store) it was already set up but the action was a bit low. The pickups were a bit lower than other guitars I have played but it didn't really bother me too much to go and adjust them. The only problems were the string locks in the Floyd Rose, on the 3rd string it rattles and the locks are very sharp that it ended up cutting the end off the 1st string. The tuning peg for the 5th string was also loose. Other then that everything was fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think that the guitar would withstand Live playing if it is properly set up and maintained, as for bringing a backup or not it depends on the person, most people would take a backup always and some people would only take the guitar they are going to use. The hardware seems like it will last, it is very solid but I don't like the Licensed Floyd Rose, it seems to be made of cheap metal and I think that will be the first part of the guitar to break. The strap buttons I do not use as I only play at home at my computer where I have acess to videos and tabs but the few times I have played standing up the strap buttons seems solid and able to hold well. The finish looks like it had a few too many coats of clear which gives it an extremely glossy look but also makes it last longer. // 8

Overall Impression: For my genre (metal) it is a good match. I have only been playing for just under 4 months and even with my very poor amp it holds up good enough. I really should have asked for some recommendations of other guitars in my price range before buying this but I was in a bit of a Rush when I went to the store. If it was stolen or lost I would probably invest in a new amp before a guitar (like I should have in the first place) but if I had to get a guitar I would definitely get it again. I find it very easy to do pinch harmonics on however I don't like the Licensed Floyd Rose. I wish it has different pickups (EMGs to suit my playing style) so if you have money save up for a Schecter C-1 or C-1 FR. Nothing else is really a problem to me with my playing ability but for other people they might not like the Licensed Floyd Rose or the tuners. // 8

Omen 6 FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Center Store

Features: My Omen 6 FR was made in 2009. It was made in Indonesia. It has 24 extra jumbo frets on a 25 1/2 inch scale with a thin neck. It has a maple neck, rosewood fingerboard with Standard Dot inlays, and a basswood body. It has a high gloss black finish on a Strat style body. It has a Licensed Floyd Rose Special double locking tremolo system. It has passive pickups. It has one valume knob, one tone knob, and a three way pickup selecter. It has two Standard Schecter Diamond Series pickups, one in the neck position and one at the bridge position. It has Standard Schecter tuners. The only accessories this came with was an allen wrench for the bridge/nut and a whammy bar for the Floyd Rose // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my playing style very well, as I play metal and mostly cover songs from the band Avenged Sevenfold. This guitar has a very nice crunchy metal sound without any effect added to it. I am running directly into a Fender Frontman 15 15watt combo amp. The guitar is very quiet, but my amp is very noisy. I know this because I have played this guitar on multiple amps. With distortion, it has a very crunchy sound on powerchords, and a very bright sound for the highs. Solo's sound very nice. On clean, I'm not sure how to put it into words, but it sounds very nice as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't think the tech at Guitar Center even touched this guitar because the setup was terrible. I had to loosen the truss rod by about a full turn to give the neck just the proper amount of relief, thats how bad the backbow was. I also had to raise the action of the bass side of the bridge to get rid of the frett buzz. I had to loosen the screws inside the guitar a tiny bit to get the bridge to lay parallel to the body. The pickup hight was ok, but I prefer my pickups a little high so I raised the neck pickup. The bridge pickup was just right for me already. As far as the guitar itself, there were no flaws. The finish is fine and all the chrome hardware is nice and shiny. If it wasn't for the setup, this part would get a 10. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definetly withstand live playing. All the hardware is nice and solid (even the valume and tone knobs are metal). The strap buttons seem very solid, but I don't play alot standing up so I guess I really can't say. I could definetly depend on this guitar. As for using it without a backup, you should always have a backup no matter what. But if if there was no possible way for me to have a backup, yes, I would gig with this guitar without a backup. The finish seems nice and high quality and seems like it will last, but only time will tell with this one. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and mostly cover songs by the band Avenged Sevenfold, and this guitar plays it perfectly, even without any added effects. I have only been playing a year so I only own an amp, cable, strap, and a gig bag besides this guitar. If you are going to get this guitar, make sure to have the guy there set it up for you if you don't know what you are doing or don't have a lot of patience to deal with a Floyd Rose. If this guitar was lost or stolen I would find the guy who stole it and make him pay for his sin of stealing my guitar. But if there was no way to get it back, I would probably buy a higher end Schecter; a Hellraiser Avenger or a Synyster Custom. There is nothing wrong with the Omen 6 FR, it is just that those guitars are so, so sexy, and now I know that Schecter is making a high quality product and is quickly becoming one of the best manufacturers out there, so it wouldn't bother me to spend that much because I know I am getting a quality product. If I couldnt get the higher end Schecter, I would definetly buy the Omen 6 FR again. I love this guitar and everything about it, especialy the Floyd Rose. When I was shopping for a guitar around this price range I was looking at Ibanez, ESP/LTD, and BC Rich. This guitar blew them away %100. This guitar is all around a higher quality product, from hardware to sound. I did months of research on differant guitars in this price from those other brands and Schecter and when it came time to buy a guitar, I knew the Omen 6 FR was going to be the highest of quality. There is nothing else I wish this guitar had, it is perfect the way it is. If you are thinking about buying this or a guitar from another brand, stop thinking, and buy the Schecter. You will not be dissapointed. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.8 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014