Omen Extreme-6 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 01/11/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Omen Extreme-6
I play a variety of genres, from metal to pop-punk to classical, and the guitar fit them quite well. With the coil tap, it is very versatile. All in all, it's a fairly good guitar, and while it doesn't fit everything I play, it fits most and that's good enough for me.
 7.5
 7.2
 7.7
review (1) pictures (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Omen Extreme-6 Reviewed by: 3OddOnes, on january 11, 2012

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar

Features: It was made in Indonisia, in 2011 I believe. It's has 24 Frets, Maple Neck with Cream Binding, Rosewood Fretboard, Jumbo Frets, 25.5" Scale. Mahogany Body with a Quilted Maple top with Cream Binding, finished in Satin-Black Cherry. Strat shape with a String Thru Bridge, which is what defines it from the other Omens. The electronics are Passive with a Volume Pot and a Push/Pull Tone Pot with Coil Tap. It has a 2 Humbucker layout, two Schecter Diamond Plus Series pups. The tuners are also Schecter, Non-Locking I think. The guitar didn't come with anything, but it's still good for the price. // 8

Sound: I play a variety of genres, from Metal to Pop-Punk to Classical, and the guitar fit them quite well. With the Coil Tap, it is very versatile. I'm currently playing it with a Laney LX12 amp, but plan to get a Line 6 Spider Amp soon, the one I tried it out with in the shop, which helped to fall in love with it over guitars I decided I really wanted before going out to buy. It is a fairy noisy guitar however and whenever I use it, I turn down the volume on both the amp and the guitar so I can hear the music I'm playing to. Despite being able to switch to single coil pups, it still manages to sound warm instead of bright because of the mahogany body. Still, it has amazingly long sustain and seems to have a natural wah if you string some notes on long enough. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in good shape when it was purchased, but I find the guitars finish can be easily damaged if you don't take care, and the guard on the back has been scratched like hell, and the push/pull pot is loud, much louder than the pickup selector, which itself came on the loud side too. Apart from this, the guitar was well made and not many flaws can be found in it from my perspective. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for a good 3 months now, and I've only played it outside of practice once. It stood up for that and I'm fairly sure it could stand well in live playing, but if it were dropped, I'm fairly sure the guitar would break, even dropping it on carpet could break it for all I'm concerned, so I wouldn't gig with it without a good backup. However the finish seems good enough not to wear thin easily. // 7

Overall Impression: All in all, it's a fairly good guitar, and while it doesn't fit everything I play, it fits most and that's good enough for me. I've been playing for about 3 and a half years now, and this is my second guitar, along with a Strat copy, and my Laney amp. I wish I had tried a few more guitars when I bought it, like a Tele or a hollowbody like the ES-335. I probably would buy it again if it were stolen, though I might get another guitar instead. The thing I love the most about it is that all 24 frets on each string are easily acessable, but I hate that it's single coil mode sounds warm instead of bright. When buying it, I compared it to a B.C. Rich Bich, an Ibanez (not sure which) and an Epiphone LP Standard. The BC and Ibanez sounded too brittle and the Epi didn't feel right for me, so I got the Schecter. I would give it a 9, but the single coil not bring bright does knock it down for me. // 8

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014