Omen Extreme Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 10/04/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Omen Extreme
If you want a quality instrument, which sounds quite good and you're on budget, this is a guitar for you to check out.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
reviews (2) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Omen Extreme Reviewed by: T3h_Killjoy, on november 30, 2010

Price paid: € 330

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: Schecter Omen Extreme. I think it's an 2008 or 2009 model (made in Indonesia), because it has a basswood body with quilted maple top and tobaco sunburst paintjob on it. Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard with Vector inlays, 24 jumbo frets. TOM, string-thru body bridge, two Schecter Alnico V high-output pickups, tone (withc coil tap), volume, 3-way, schcter tuners. Came with a cable and tools to adjust the tross rod. Nice package of features, but in My opinion neck could be bit thiner and wider (like PRS Thin Wide neck profile). // 8

Sound: It's my first electric guitar and I'm exploring many new playing styles, but at the same time I'm trying to be as honest as possible while writing this review. I have played many guitars and this one is a midrange guitar. I realy like the clean sound, when buckers are splitted in single coils. Sound is bright and clear. When coil tap is turned off clean sound is alot fuller (has more midrange to it). Now it's time to get dirty. In rock and metal, it does the job quite well, but it feels like it lacking something. I have played this guitar through Mesa Boogie (don't remmber which model), B-52 Stealth and some solid state combos. At home I'm playing through Zoom G2 with headphones. Mostly I play Blues and Rock - it does it and You can get some decent metal sounds out of it too, but as I mentioned it lacks something in tone, maybe a pickup upgrade would help. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was ready to play right from the shelf of the store. Action was bit high, but I lowered it, now it plays fine. I also lowered pickups. Frets were leveled and cut corectly, no sharp fret ends. Tuners and controls weren't loose. No finnish flaws. I was surprised by the quality of the hardware. Good to go indonesians! Chinese Epiphone I checked, that day felt cheap and hardware wasn't as good as this indonesian schecter. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have played two gigs with this guitar and everything was fine, didn't break a string or anything. Hardware is Korean made, but it's ok. Strap buttons look solid, I won't change them anyway, because I use Planet Waves strap with strap-locks. Finnish is solid and it doesn't seem to wear off or chip. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I'm satisfied, for the first electric guitar, I couldn't get a better one, quality is realy good. I've been playing for two years now and I got this guitar for a half year now. If some asshole steals it, I wouldn't get this for second time, I have a GAS for Jackson Rhoads for a long, long time. So, if You wan't a quality instrument, which sounds quite good and You're on budget, this is a guitar for You to check out. // 7

Omen Extreme Reviewed by: FuneralClown, on october 04, 2011

Price paid: A$ 450

Purchased from: Allans Music + Billy Hyde

Features: Schecter Omen Extreme 6 - Crafted in Indonesia, Checked and set - up in USA, 2009 - Construction: Bolt - on - Body: Mahogany with a Quilted Maple Veneer - Neck: Maple - Frets: 24 XJ - Inlay: Vector - Bindings: Multi - ply - Tuners: Non-locking Schecter Tuners - Pickups: Schecter Diamond Plus Bridge and Neck Humbuckers (Ceramic) - Electronics: 1 Volume, 1 Tone Knob (w/ Coil Tap) and a 3 - way Toggle Switch - Bridge: Tune-o-matic with String-thru body - Scale: 25.5" - Hardware: Black Chrome - Finish: Black Cherry - Body Style: Strat - style - There is no accessories included but I got a discounted hard case from the store. // 8

Sound: The tone was perfect for metal and hard rock distorted sounds. The ceramic magnet from the pickups really produces a high output but retains clarity and attack. My only issue is that once you coil tap the humbuckers to singlecoils is that annoying 60 cycle hum which is common to singlecoils under a high gain distortion (amplifier). Clean sounds from the humbuckers are clear, rich and have a full sound. Clean sounds from the singlecoils (once coil tapped) were really impressive, they sound bright, thin and twangy. But still, I prefer to install Seymour Duncan Blackouts to get a better tone out of it. This is my fourth guitar and I have no regrets of buying it, cause the tone coming out from the perfectly selected wood was just so good in any music style that I play. Amps used: Peavey Bandit 112 Combo, Laney LX65R Combo and Line 6 Spider IV 150 Watts Combo. Effects used: Zoom G1X and Behringer Ultra Metal. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was pretty low, which is a good if you're a shredder type of guy (which is a bit of me). It was intonated really well (I think by the guys from Schecter Australia). Pickup adjustment were perfect. But still everyone has their own preferences so I adjusted the guitar's action and fix a bit of intonation myself because I will also use this guitar for recording. The low action caused the 1st fret of the guitar to buzz, but it was really easy to fix. After 15 minutes of adjusting the bridge height the problem was quickly solved. The black cherry finish on quilted maple veneer and the cream binding looks really good, making the guitar look expensive. The neck doesn't have any gloss on it, so you don't get stuck in those sticky necks with gloss (which is really annoying). The guitar is very comfortable to play. It's like playing a Les Paul on a Stratocaster body. The build quality is really good. It's a solid guitar that will last for a long time. I've never picked up a guitar on this price range that has a better build quality than a Schecter. Everything was fitted properly on the guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live performances. I play live 3 days a week with different guitars I own and this guitar just stands out among the others. This is my main guitar now. I run, jump and move around the stage a lot and this guitar can just handle all of that. This guitar is built to last. Just make sure to install Straplocks on it to make sure that it is secured. I don't personally trust normal strap buttons, cause I've dropped my SG 5 - 6 times already because I didn't install straplocks on it. I would never play a gig without a backup, not because I don't trust my guitar, but because I am scared of any string breakage. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of music from pop, punk, jazz, funk, fusion, blues, rock, musical production, hardcore and most importantly metal and this guitar just covers all the tones that I need for a specific genre I want to play. I've been playing for 5 - 6 years now and this guitar just blew my mind the moment I tested it in the music store. I've compared this guitar against Ibanezes, Jacksons, ESP/LTDs and Deans, and this guitar just have something that the other brands don't have on this price range. I would definitely recommend this guitar for Begginers, Intermidiate and Advance players. If this guitar was stolen I would absolutely buy another one again, but this time the model with the Floyd Rose. I highly recommend this guitar if you want a quality product and do not want to spend a lot of money in other guitar company's brand name. This guitar is a good value for money and you'll definitely get what you paid for this guitar. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014