Omen FR Extreme Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 03/02/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Omen FR Extreme
The Omen FR Extreme features a basswood body w/ Figured Maple Top with Maple neck and rosewood fingerboard, 24 Jumbo frets, Schecter High Output Alnico humbuckers, Licenced Floyd Rose Tremolo, Creme binding body, neck and headstock, Black Chrome hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Features: 8.1
 8.1
 7.9
 8.2
reviews (9) pictures (5) 42 comments vote for this gear:
Omen FR Extreme Reviewed by: d_byrne23, on may 16, 2007

Purchased from: L&M

Features: Its your basic run of the mill metal guitar. It has a basswood body with stock Schecter pickups which do sound suprisingly well. The liscensed floyd rose is very liable so far and I havenmt had any tuning issues etc. The setup from L&M however was garbage, but if youknow a thing about floyds, it wasn't a problem to fix. The coil tap feature is excellent for getting nice sparkling clean tones. Pickups are passive. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of older metal and some newer hardcore stuff etc. Mostly lately has been a lot of Gilbert stuff, really into shred now. I run it with my Carvin MTS 3212 tube combo, as well as my Boss RC-2 Loop Station. It's not noisy at all. The sound is solid through my amp, I can get lots of nice rich harmonics and cutting through distorted tones easily. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was setup great from the factory, but L&M butchered that setup. I asked for it in D Standard, and I believe the notes ended up DCGFBD, it was hilarious, definately I would recommend check out some youtube videos of how to setup a floyd yourself, it's good to know for future reference anyways. The pickup height and everything was great, my one problem with it is it's ungodly heavy, honestly it feels like I'm playing a Les Paul compared to my Jackson. Still has lots of sustain and does seem built to last. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live playing, even after whammy dives the tuning is still good to go. I installed DiMarzio strap locks on it and those have helped a lot as well. I would gig with it but definately have a backup, you never know with guitars, especially if a string broke Live. Always good to have a number 2 with you. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall it's a real nice guitar, but for my shred tastes, I prefer having something light on my shoulders that feels like my fingers can free roam and it almost feels like I'm not even holding a guitar. This guitar is very heavy compared to my old SLSMG Soloist, as well as my DK-2. If it were stolen or lost I'd most likely buy something else, Schecter necks are medium sized, definately not even close to a Jackson or Ibanez Wizard or Wizard II neck. // 7

Omen FR Extreme Reviewed by: a_bad_curry, on december 05, 2011

Price paid: A$ 599

Purchased from: Billy hyde

Features: This Schecter is a 2011 model, 24 fret guitar. It has 25.5 inch scale, rosewood fretboard and Jumbo frets. It has a mahogany body, maple neck, Schecter tuners and Schecter Diamond plus passive pickups. It, obviously, has a Floyd Rose special. The pickups are coil-tapped, there is only a tone and volume knob, and 3 way selector. Mine is a nice black colour. Overall, quite feature packed for the price. // 9

Sound: Equipment: Ibanez DS7 Monterey Crap amp that sounds surprisingly alright. Has been played on Line 4 Spider 30w, and Dave Mustaine Marshall mini stack. I play metal cleans, prog metal for writing and the occasional Megadeth or Slayer song. It nails the slayer sound, and even though I'm not really a fan of floyds, or even floating trems in general, playing that intro to "Raining Blood" brings a smile to your face. To be more specific, the sound is massively chunky with or without distortion, and actually comes from the guitar rather than the pickups. Power chords are almost ridiculously heavy, and it isn't a slouch in the mids either. Its highs lack something though with distortion, and it really isn't fantastic for leads, but is still competent. I can't tell whether its the pickups or the actual guitar. I wouldn't get this if you played lead guitar, as an Ibanez would be better. In fact, most things at the price would do leads better. But for a rhythm guitarist that plays Killswitch Engage, Slayer rhythms, newer Megadeth and so on, I don't think there's a better guitar under $1000 AU. But if you want specifically a holy wars tone, and nothing else, look elsewhere. The coil tapping is a life saver for cleans. The cleans are so awful on humbucker mode, that it is reminiscent of the very end of "The Odyessey" by Symphony X, or basically the classic stack module, max gain of a Roland Cube amp. If you still have no idea what I mean, about an AC/DC distortion. However, coiltapped, the neck pickup sounds almost un-naturally amazing, better than any guitar I have ever played. Even the $1500 ones! The bridge is also extremely good, but really only suits metal cleans. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfect. Nothing wrong with it. Pickups adjusted perfectly, action perfect, no flaws in anything. The floyd is easy to restring, even though I generally hate re-stringing a floating trem, the tuners are perfect, and not crunchy like my crappy Monterey. Just so you know, the neck is like a baseball bat, but its so good you don't even notice it. And I don't like having a twig under my hand anyway. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Again, read the previous statement. Everything is perfect with the reliability. The black chrome hardware looks wonderful on the black, wavy finish that is impossible to scratch or chip. Like, literally impossible. Dropping the guitar does nothing to it, and I wouldn't expect anything to this side of a steamroller. And even then... 10 doesn't justify how much I trust this guitar. It deserves 60 million. // 10

Overall Impression: When I first saw this guitar, I thought-Wow, it looks better than the other Schecters, and I'm too much of a hipster to buy one of those Ibani (Ibanez plural). So I got it. I also have a crap Monterey guitar, I've played Ibani, Epiphones, ESPs, BC Riches, and it blows them all except a 1k BC Rich into the weeds. I've been playing for a year. If it were stolen or lost, I would either buy it again, or save for a Dean Dave Mustaine signature. Love: Massive rhythms Stupidly good quality Hot pickups Coil tapping Mahogany Hate: Mediocre highs and leads ... Well, that's about it! // 10

Omen FR Extreme Reviewed by: CMeggett1996, on march 02, 2012

Features: This is a very nice and sleek looking quilted maple top guitar. It has a nice design, with 24 jumbo frets, a great feeling neck, and a nice look. But honestly, that's about it for pros. It does have a nice accessible coil tap, which gives it a nice variety of tones and ranges for all different types of music. It's a double cutaway Strat style body, with a rosewood fretboard and a bolt on design. Perhaps what makes this guitar is the Floyd rose tremolo. Although, it's not an original, but a special, and was made in another country. The fr always mean tuning lock by the way. The guitar itself was made in Indonesia. This is a mercy 7 because off the problems I'll describe under "action". // 7

Sound: This is a very metal oriented guitar. The stock pickups are mediocre. They don't suck but they're no EMGs'. The coil tap gives it a large variety of tones, and it stays in tune well due to the Floyd. The clean is below average, but the metal, distortions, and crunch tones on any amp will bring out the good in the guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This is the problem. The guitar of which I've owned 2 of has very bad issues with buzzing on the bottom string, on the first 3 frets, and the first 2 frets of the fifth string. I thought this could be adjust with a little trus tweaking... Nope. The bridge was adjusted... Nothing. I brought it to guitar center, and the only way to get rid of it was to make the action horrid. It does stop, but to do the strings much be about an inch too high. Anywhere else and good luck with the guitar. It is very easy to make out the buzz in feeling on your fingers, and through an amp. There was a poor factory setup, and apparently that cannot be fixed. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This will probably withstand live playing. Terry thing seems tight, even the strap buttons. It is heavy for this style and body of guitar though... The coil tap selector actually fell of the first week. The other hardware seems okay. I would never go into a gig without a back up. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing 2 years, but is say I'm fairly knowledgeable with guitars, as well as skilled as I can play (hint: this is my music style) Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine, some Trivium and anything Green Day. If joe shmoe off the street came and stole my guitar, I'd expect it be returned in the next 24 hours. I wouldn't buy it again. I guess the extreme stands for the level of disappointment. I love the Floyd hate the buzz, love the looks and neck, hate the buzz. I hate the buzz! It ruined the guitar I'd dreamt of for months. And I know it was just mine because I bought and traded in 3. If this is your style, for the same price pick up one of these: ESP LTD EC-256 (I own this and I <3 it... Lol it's a great guitar for a good price) Or the Ibanez RG4EXFM1 both better and for the same price. // 5

Omen FR Extreme Reviewed by: Teh S'moore, on january 14, 2010

Purchased from: Pro Guitar Shop

Features: This guitar was made in 2009 I believe. I received it this Christmas. It has 24 extra-jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard with a maple neck. The body is mahogany w/ quilted maple and it has a Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo and passive Schecter Diamond Plus pickups. It has Two knobs, tone and volume, with a push/pull coil split function on the tone knob, and a three-way toggle switch. The guitar has Schecter tuners and a locking nut. The guitar came with an extra spring, the three Allen wrenches and of course the tremolo arm. Also, I got the one in a beautiful Black Cherry finish with multi-ply yellow/creme binding. // 9

Sound: I play mostly hard rock and alternative, sometimes playing funk and more blues-y things. This guitar suits all of these styles very well, especially hard rock and metal, being the badass guitar it is. I use it with a Line 6 Spider III (meh) which doesn't really show the guitar's full potential. I play it through a Vox Valvetronix VT30 at my nearest Paul Green School of Rock and is sounds great! When distorted, the guitar is very growly and the higher notes scream. Although sometimes, the bridge pickup can be a little noisy. When the push/pull tap knob is pulled up, there is less scratchy and slidy noises, but more humming when not playing, but I guess that's what humbuckers were invented for. The clean sound is surprisingly very good. It sounds very full and deep, almost like an electric-acoustic. The Licensed Floyd Rose stays in tune very well, never going out of tune on dive bombs and repeated wanking. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I opened the guitar directly from the box it was shipped in and I was stunned. The guitar was beautiful- very shiny hardware, no rust or loose screws or tuning pegs and the frets were perfectly sanded on the side. But sadly, it wasn't perfect. The pickups were very loose in the body, and the action was extremely low. Don't get me wrong, I love low action, but this was REALLY low. The first three frets on three strings buzzed. Both flaws were an easy fix for my local music store though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played on stage with this guitar and it holds up great. The hardware is very sturdy and nothing is coming loose and the strings aren't going out of tune. The strap buttons are very solid and slightly larger than other strap buttons. I usually bring two guitars when I play concerts just in case, and I would ALWAYS bring a backup guitar. The finish is very deep and doesn't seem thin or fragile. I'm very clumsy and I've banged it against walls many times and hardly even a scratch has shown up. // 10

Overall Impression: For all of my music this is a great guitar. I've been playing five years and I also own an Ibanez GAX30, a Dean Z-X, and an Epiphone SG G-400. If it were stolen or lost I would definitely buy another one, or at least a very similar Schecter because Schecter guitars are just plain awesome. Before deciding on this guitar, I considered an Ibanez RG350MYE, but the stock pickups on it are terrible, and the Edge III Tremolo isn't very good at staying in tune. // 10

Omen FR Extreme Reviewed by: A7XGreatness, on may 27, 2010

Purchased from: A music store

Features: Not sure of the year but it was made in Indonesia and set up in the U.S. It has 24 jumbo fret neck. It is a rosewood fretboard. The body is pretty dense for basswood. Nice quilted-top finish. It is the double cutaway Strat body type except it has these cool cutouts kind of like a PRS. It has a Licensed Floyd Rose Special Bridge. Passive pickups. One voulume and one tone with a 3-way Switch for two humbucker pickups. The tuners are Schecter but thats not important because it has a locking nut. // 10

Sound: I play metal, alternative, rock, basically anything with distortion and this definitely can bring out tons of distortion. I use a Peavey Vypyr and sometimes I'll use the Boss Metal Pedal for intense distortion. When there is high gain I here minimum noise but the pickups are very sensitive. It has a very deep chunky bright sound on the bridge pickup that I love to play metal with. On the neck you can get a really mellow shred kind of sound with the right amp. It might sound like Satriani or those guys who use DiMarzio pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know if the store set up the guitar but the action on the strings were below my standards. The low E was way too close to the fretboard and the high E was very high off the fretboard. The low E was buzzing everywhere up to the 11th fret and I'm pretty sure that was the truss rod because I bought this in the summer and it gets pretty hot and humid where I live so the neck must have moved. Everything else was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels so solid when I hold it. I don't know why. The hardware including the Floyd Rose with last pretty long before I buy a better guitar. NOT THAT THIS ISN'T GOOD!, I mean this guitar is a step below the mid-priced PRS's and Schecter Hellraiser series. The strap buttons are nice and big and ensures that my strap won't budge. I would use this without a backup. I have never broken a string with the Licensed Floyd Rose. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, rock, alternative, and other things and this is a perfect match. I would say I am an intermediate guitar player because I definitely don't play like a beginner. I wouldn't have asked for anything else besides a more expensive ESP or PRS but I think with a professional setup this with play like a dream. If it were stolen I would just buy a different color because I think black is a little dark and less interesting than that red quilt-top. I love anything about it except the setup. I don't think Schecter could have done that it was probably the stupid teenager in the store that screwed my guitar up. // 10

Omen FR Extreme Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2010

Price paid: £ 348.99

Purchased from: Soundslive.co.uk

Features: The Guitar comes with a Floyd Rose Special and 24 frets. The finish is very good, doesn't show up well in medium/low light though which is a shame. The body is alot smaller than I thought and the neck is Standard 24 fret size. With the deal I got a free Gator Hardcase, Jack Lead and tools such as allen keys, which is very good. The Pickups are stock Schecter Diamond Plus pickups, which have a good sound for stock pickups, I will be replacing with EMGs shortly though. // 10

Sound: I play Metal and wanted to tune this guitar to Drop B, for playing stuff like Machine Head. I use Marshall Amp distortion and it sounds very good through that, the sound is definatly the strong point of this model. It sounds good at both high and low volumes and would gladly record and gig with it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was fine, I setup the Floyd Rose so it's leaning forward a bit so I can get some really high squelies :D. The finish looks impressive in highly lighted areas but bland in anyother light. The front looks good but the back doesn't so much, the mixture of an unfinished neck with the yellow strip going round the edge of the body doesn't look great, but it's not a massive deal as it will be covered up when playing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels solid and doesn't seem like it'll let up live. The Floyd Rose is nowhere near as good as the one on my Dean Dimebag Razorback but for the money is satisfactory. The hardware feels like it can take a good beating and if dropped probably won't be damaged massively. The hardcase definatly helps here, where it's not as good as my Dean hardcase it can probably take a good beating. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a good guitar for playing Metal in low tunings. The Main strong poitns are the finish (when in good light), sound, the features and playing ease. The weak points are the combination of a yellow strip and unfinished neck which looks ugly at certan angles, the Floyd Rose (but not a massive problem) and the finish (when in moderate/low light) Overall quite satisfied. // 8

Omen FR Extreme Reviewed by: Guitarpanda1, on february 28, 2011

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: So I bought this guitar being my first seriously hardcore and stage guitar. It was definitely made in Indonesia. It came with 24 jumbo frets and the neck was Rosewood. The design on the neck was awesome! A nice set of pearly colored arrows. The top just a solid wooden top as I generally don't care for a laminated one. The body was lined with a vanilla type yellow and it was ocean blue and transparent. The Bridge is a Floyd Rose which made tuning rather undesirable. It came with locks for the strings but they put the string more outta tune than anything, so overall getting the extreme FR was a mistake on my part. The pickups are the Standard humbuckers which I have now replaced with an EMG 81 and 85 set for my metal playing style (beautiful sound). Another slight problem is that there are only 3 was to turn the toggle switch. This is a little annoying because the tones aren't very different one is a more clean and muffled tone while the other holds a crisp, sharp one. The tuners as I said are locking and they are stupid as hell because the Floyd Rose wasn't designed too well for the guitar (vice versa). // 9

Sound: I generally stick to technical metal which means that I need to be able to hear the individual fast- paced notes. Luckily, this guitar is perfect for that style. I use this guitar with my Behringer V- Ampire amp and usually I just keep avg to high mid and same for bass to get some of the best sound you could from a guitar of this price. Not too noisy at all! My only problem would be with the toggle Switch as I said. It gives a muffled tone on 2 of the 3 settings. The sound, of course, is very bright and sharp. With the Floyd Rose though I can do it all! High squeals, low dives, and any pinch harmonic I need. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well this will have to be the downfall of the review as the factory did cause me some problems. First off the guitar was set up for a 12 year old I assume as there were dead frets and the pickups were awful. Another problem was that the tuning knob fell off! F--king Schecter failed me! It is loose to- the- day, but luckily I work at a guitar shop so I can fix it whenever it needs(1 a month maybe). And yet again the Floyd Rose was junked up with the tuning knobs... // 7

Reliability & Durability: Oh hell yea this thing has lasted me through guitar spins, throwing it, or even just knocking it into a wall. Everything thusfar has held up fine. The strap buttons have kept in place even with my several guitar spins so I can always depend on this guitar in a show. The finish hasn't worn off yet, but I've only had it 1yr and 1/2 so I don't know yet. // 10

Overall Impression: For metal/technical metal/ alternative this guitar can kill most others for its pricerange. I have been playing for 3 years about and I have 5 guitars, 2 amps, 1 drumset, 1 bass, and 1 keyboard. Yea of course I looked up reviews before buying it but hey it all turned out fine. If it was stolen then no I wouldn't buy another...ID FIND THAT F--KER AND TAKE IT BACK! haha but yea everything about it is great my last wish would've been a little better factory work. // 9

Omen FR Extreme Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 11, 2012

Features: My Omen Extreme FR has a quilted maple top and a Vintage Sunburst finish and creme colored binding. The neck is the perfect shape and size. It has 24 frets, 2 passive humbucker pickups, a floyd rose bridge and locking nut, awesome Vector inlays, a volume pot and a tone pot with push-pull circuitry, 3-way selector, and non-locking tuners. I believe the tuners are made by Grover. // 10

Sound: This guitar can play it all. The neck pickup produces a very thick, full, bluesy tone. The can produce country tones (with split coil) all the way to high gain thrash. Both pickups are pretty noisy and are slightly "muddy" when in a high gain setting. Clean tones are rich and beautiful. It is a extremely versatile guitar and it suits me perfectly. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is absolutely perfecto. The pickups are well adjusted to me. When I got the guitar, the fine tuners on the bridge were mix-matched, but that was and easy problem to fix. There is no fret buzz. The locking nut was very loose when I got it, but that's nothing an allen wrench can't fix. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a good guitar for live playing. The hardware is sturdy and reliable.The strap buttons are wide, so once you get the strap on, it will not come off with ease. This guitar would be a great backup to use. The finish is nice and durable. The guitar is very light so it is easy to perform with. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great match for metal. It goes great with high gain amps. The pups are slighlty muddy. If it were stolen, I would definately buy a new one, same finish, same everything. I love the sunburst finish on mine and the floyd rose. The push-pull circutry is also nice. I hate how the pickups fuzz up the sound of finger tapping and some pitch harmonics. I compare this to the Damien FR. I'm glad I chose this one. // 9

Omen FR Extreme Reviewed by: trevriffic, on february 14, 2012

Purchased from: ams

Features: This guitar was so beautiful when I 1st opened it up brand new. But I wondered why the action was dumped all the way down touching the fretboard and the strings were still tight? So I raised the action and discovered a bad buzzing on the 1st fret closest to the neck. that's one fret you just have to get right and I couldn't believe the inspector passed this on to me. I tried adjusting the truss rod with no luck. Looking down the neck it was obviously warped and buzzed even up around the 12th fret with the action to high for comfort even. I'm really disappointed after researching guitars and to get this piece of crap. Lucky I purchased from AMS and they have a great return policy. I ordered a Gibson instead, YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE Schecter! I should say the floyd rose is excellent and needs to be ripped off this crappy guitar. Made in Indonesia. // 1

Sound: Never got to sound failed at setup. 30 years of set up experience. From what I hear though the pickups sound great. But what does great sound do when your crappy guitar is unplayable? Jeez how many words do they want you to put in these reviews hee ok I would have more to say but guitar is unplayable and I've already shipped back and maybe this is enough words for this section so I will heee just write a few more so I'm sure I will have enough words to complete this section of this part of this long, really long sentence and I will now go to next section. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Neck was badly warped, horrific experience! Buzzing even after raising action half and inch off the neck? Only cure for this guitar is a new neck. Not even sanding down frets would have worked. Believe me I'm an experienced guitar tech.As I was saying this guitar is a disgrace to all guitars, I would rather buy a guitar on eBay than buy 1 new from Schecter. I hate you Schecter. I will spread the word about what you have done to me even if it takes a thousand words I will get my vengeance! // 1

Reliability & Durability: How reliable can a brand new guitar with a warped neck be? I'll keep typing cause you have to have so many words to have a review. How many times can I say terrible? Awful? Horrific? Playing live? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ha! You couldn't even practice with this pile of excrement. Please Schecter stay far away from me you suck! As pretty as this guitar was I'm really disappointed that it has a warped neck and they wasted a nice floyd rose. // 1

Overall Impression: I'll never buy another Schecter. They should fire inspector number 25 cause he has put me through hell. There is a thing called karma and he will get his in the end. Ok Like I said Schecter ain't on my good list and I will spread the word so no one else has to go through what I did, God help us all each and every one from the evil of the Schecter corp. // 1

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Omen-6 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/22/2014