PT Blackjack Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 05/09/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: PT Blackjack
Armed with the classic Seymour Duncan JB and '59 pickup configuration, which can be 'tapped' via a push/pull tone control or a 5-way Mega Switch.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 9.2
 9.6
 8.7
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
PT Blackjack Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2004

Features: - Made in 2003, all parts were made in the USA and assembled in Korea. - 24 jumbo frets on a Rosewood fretboard - Mahogany body and Maple set neck. - Gloss black finish w/Black Chrome hardware. - Tele style body. - Tonepros with String-thru body. - 5-way blade Switch, 1 volume, 1 tone. - 2 Passive humbuckers. Seymour Duncan JB (SH-4) and '59 (SH-1N). - Grover tuners. - I convinced the guy to give me a free gig-bag because it was raining outside at the time. // 10

Sound: It fits my musical style perfectly. I love playing metal the most. I'll play anything from Metallica to Dimmu Borgir to Slipknot on it and it sounds great. I also play classic rock, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin and the sort. This thing has an awesome range of sounds with Schecter's 5-way selector set-up. The cleans are perfect and the distortion is very good, though, EMG's sound better. I can't complain, this thing came with awesome pick-ups and for an awesome price, too. I play through a 100 watt B-52 head and a 400 watt 4X12 B-52 cab. This thing is f--king loud! It does get some feedback, but it hasn't been professionally set-up yet, either. The bridge pickup just needs to be lowered a little bit. So, the sound is rich and full and loud. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was very well set-up from the factory. The action is great, it almost feels like I can play better than before. The pickups are adjusted pretty well, but it could be better. Like I said before they pick up some feedback. Over all, the guitar contained absolutely no flaws cosmetically. The Gloss Black looks awesome and fits the guitar perfectly. It looks like Jim Root's new Fender Telecast, but I personnaly think it's classier. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take a serious beating. You could throw this thing into a brick wall and it wouldn't go out of tune. My friend has had his Schecter for going on 3 years and the hardware hasn't faded or anything, so why expect any different for mine? The strap buttons are awesome. They never get loose and are big enough so that the strap never falls off. I could depend on this guitar and I would never need a backup. The finish is great and will last. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal and this thing fits it perfectly. I've only been playing for about 18 months and this is my first decent guitar. I owned a Carlo Robelli piece of s--t before, this is a huge leap for me. If this thing was ever stolen I would definately get another Blackjack series guitar. My original intent was to get a 006 Blackjack, but that failed when I found out I would have to wait 2 months to get it. So, I just went ahead and got the PT and I'll get the 006 some other time. I love how this thing has the awesome pick-ups and the classic look of the tele, but the heavy look with the all black design. I was looking at Epiphones, too; but Schecters definately blows them out of the water. The only thing I'll ever change to this thing is the pick-ups. They're awesome as they are, but I'll eventually get the EMG-81 set. This thing will scream whenever I do that. // 10

PT Blackjack Reviewed by: newman13, on may 09, 2006

Features: This is an awesome guitar! For the price it can't be beat. Manufactured in 2004. 24 jumbo frets, 25 1/2" scale. I believe it's a solid top, basswood body. Maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. I have the walnut satin finish version which is great because I like wood grain. Strat-style body wit a Tune-O-Matic and string through body set up. Duncan Designed passive humbuckers. It has 1 volume, 1 tone, and a 3-way pickup selector. Non-locking Grover tuners. // 9

Sound: Sounds absolutely divine. Fits my playing style to a T. I play metal and it suits the style much better than I expected it to. I'm currently using it with a Crate GX1200H half stack and a Zoom Tri-Metal distortion pedal. Even with the junk amp the guitar sounds great. One of the quietest guitars I have ever played, on high-gain settings I have actually forgotten it was turned up. One quirk I have noticed is that the bridge pickup is slightly farther from the bridge than usual, and as a result, the lower I tune it the better it sounds, it loves CGCFAD tuning. The clean sound is actually very good as well, with a nice warm Les Paulish tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was excellent. The action was just a tad high, but nothing to really complain about. THe bridge pick-up was adjusted perfectly and the neck pickup was a bit low, but I like it set up that way anyway so no complaints there. The top is solid so no book matching, and the bridge is routed just fine. No flaws on the guitar at all that I've found. It's got a couple of dings on it, but that was my fault, not the factory's. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a friggin' tank, it'll stand up to live playing no problem. The hardware seems very solid, I've owned it for over a year and the only thing I've ever had to do is tighten down the input jack. The strap buttons are solid as hell, the strap has never fallen off. I would never gig without a backup but it's extremely likely that the backup will be unneccesary unless I break a string. The finish is durable and seems like it will last. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal but I mess around with other styles and it does them all well, it's a well-rounded guitar, it can do any style you want to throw at it. I've been playing for 11 years, but I'm not as good as I should be due to lack of practice. I don't have as much gear as I'd like to have, but what I do have seems to work just fine. This is the only guitar I currently own. I doubt I'll ever lose this guitar, but if it were ever stolen I'd probably pony up a little more cash for the Schecter Hellraiser as I like EMGs. I love the feel more than anything else about it, there's really nothing I don't like. My favorite feature is the Tune-O-Matic bridge as I don't use or like tremolos(I'm a rythym guitarist). I compared it to several Jacksons and a couple of ESPs and for the price the Omen 6 just blew them away. The only thing I wish it had is another volume knob. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014