PT Custom Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 01/21/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: PT Custom
Two gold covered Duncan Designed H-102 Humbuckers can be 'tapped' via a push/pull control on the Tone control, yielding a wide variety of tonal options. Sustain, intonation and tuning stability are enhanced by the TonePros tune-matic bridge, which locks rock-solid to the bridge posts.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 9.5
reviews (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
PT Custom Reviewed by: TheFreeBird, on may 02, 2008

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This is an absolutely stunning guitar. It has quilted maple top over a mahogany body, it's neck is maple, and it has a rosewood fretboard.Its Korean made, sometime between 2002 and 2005, not sure. It looks and feels like a Tele, but plays and sounds like a Les Paul. Mother of pearl inlay all around the edges, headstock, fretboard, and on the volume and tone knobs.Its got two Seymour Duncan pickups, which I'm pretty happy with. And it has a Tuno O Matic bridge, gold hardware, Grover tuners and it's got 22 frets. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds great. I love to play Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, all the classics, I also love to play blues and some metal. It has a very full distorted sound as well as a crisp clean tone, much like a Les Paul. Perfect for all of the above. I use it with a Vox AD30VT 30 watt amp, which has built in effects and it sounds great with all of them. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Its action, fit & finish is great. It was set up very nicely. The action is nice and low, which is good for speed. The pickups are set pretty nicely, a little too close to the strings but its not a problem. I've had this guitar since October of 2007 and I haven't discovered any real flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable. I'd take this on tour any day. The strap buttons are pretty solid, but I'm going to replace them with locking ones. I'm not going to depend on this guitar with my life, because I have a few others that I feel closer to, but I can see this guitar taking me pretty far. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, blues and a little metal, and it's perfect. I've been playing for about 4 to 6 years, not entirely sure. I personally own 6 guitars, 3 electric, and 3 acoustic, and I'd say this is my 2nd favorite electric guitar, next to my Strat. If anything happened to this guitar I'd ball my eyes out, and try as hard as I could to replace it with the same model, since there were only about 400 of them made. If not, I would replace it with a real Tele or a Gibson of some sort. I love this guitar because it's beautiful, it sounds amazing, perfect for my style, and it's lightweight. Nothing I wish I could change except I think it would be cool if it was a real Fender Telecaster. Otherwise, I love it. // 10

PT Custom Reviewed by: Mediarocker543, on january 20, 2009

Purchased from: Music Music - Enterprise, AL

Features: I do not recall the year it was made, But it's a Standard 22 Fret necks with a 16" Radius. Solid Black top with Almond Tim. Alderwood Body with a Maple Neck with a Maple Fretboard. The finish is Gloss Black, and compliments it's Tele style body with it's Tele Style Bridge (non tremolo) Its equipped with Dual Coil HB-104 Duncan Designed Humbuckers, Both passive. The Guitar has just 2 knobs, 1 Volume and 1 Tone knob. The tone knob functions as a Single Dual Coil Tap selector. Just pull up for single and push in for dual. It has the Standard Neck, Both, and Bridge Selector Switch as well. My Guitar Has 16:1 Grover Tuners equipped which makes this guitar stay in tune. When I bought mine, It came with the cable, strings, and tools to adjust the truss rod and the bridge. The Look Impresses everyone I've shown, many people compliment me on my PT. // 10

Sound: It suits my musical style wonderfully, I play a broad range of music and the PT adapts quite readily, Anything from acoustic runs to Hard Core metal. I've run this guitar on several amps, Including a Marshall TSL, Marshall Valvestate S80, An original Fender Hot Rod Deville, Crate GLX-15, Orange Tiny Terror, and a Vox AD50VT. I have no issues with noise on all the amps I've played on so long as the amp is properly grounded. I've played on ungrounded amps that introduce a load of noise. (not to mention shock you when you touch another guitarist.) The guitars variety vary on the player, this guitar can pretty much take whatever you can throw at it so long as your skilled enough to play it. Thrash metal, Blues riffs, Intense metal solos, anything. The guitar can play it if you can. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar came to the shop perfectly setup, only some very minor adjustments were needed (due to shipping) The action is very tight on this guitar, it's wonderful! The pickups came setup appropriately, but many players prefer their own setup, so this can be biased. I tweaked mine very slightly. Everything came Perfect, No flaws at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It has withstood Live playing with me, and The hardware is very sturdy, and the strap buttons are drilled deep into the guitar. I Still wouldn't sling it around without straplocks, even though it takes impossible force to attach the strap without removing the strap buttons. I depended on it for 3 years without a backup. And I still do gig on it without a backup! The finish is perfect. My guitar after all it's use has only suffered minor scratches and those were bound to come sooner or later. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a well round of music ranging from Christian Hymns, and Christian rock, all the way to Heavy Metal and Alternative. This guitar certainly plays well in all genres, but it may not have the kick you would want without a booster or metal pedal. it's played well for me in all genres, and has no problem. I've been playing for 10 years, and this is my favorite guitar. I own a Vox AD50VT, Crate GLX15, Jackson Artist Signature Series Dinky Archtop Christian Olde Wolbers 7-String, Boss ME-50 Multi Effects Pedal Board, Marshall Blues Breaker, DOD Vibra-thang, Boss EH-2 Enhancer. I wish I had the Vox AD50VT sooner, It sounds wonderful with my PT. I would definitely buy it again, but it's hard to get my exact configuration without ordering through the custom shop. I love the almond trim, it gives it a nice frame to the black body. I hate the strap buttons, they made my strap squeek when I had it on. it's Impossible (nearly) to mount a strap without taking them off. So I bought straplocks aftermarket and put them on. Problem solved. The coil tap is my favorite feature, many people don't realize that you actually have a combination of sound to choose from. Neck, Both, Bridge, Neck Single, Both single, Bridge Single. It allows for a wide custom tailored sound, as harsh or rich as you like. I compared it to a Jackson of a similar price range (200 bucks cheaper), it had a Tremolo (non Floyd Rose), and it came with an headphone amp, gig bag, and cable. The PT just came with a cable and the wrenches. I chose the PT because of how it played, it matched my playing style immediately. something about the Jackson seemed lacking. I guess I would wish it had a 24 fret neck, but I think it would mess with it's playability. I like it how it is right now. // 10

PT Custom Reviewed by: Mediarocker543, on january 21, 2009

Purchased from: Music Music - Enterprise, AL

Features: I do not recall the year it was made, But it's a Standard 22 Fret necks with a 16" Radius. Solid Black top with Almond Tim. Alderwood Body with a Maple Neck with a Maple Fretboard. The finish is Gloss Black, and compliments it's Tele style body with it's Tele Style Bridge (non tremolo) Its equipped with Dual Coil HB-104 Duncan Designed Humbuckers, Both passive. The Guitar has just 2 knobs, 1 Volume and 1 Tone knob. The tone knob functions as a Single Dual Coil Tap selector. Just pull up for single and push in for dual. It has the Standard Neck, Both, and Bridge Selector Switch as well. y Guitar Has 16:1 Grover Tuners equipped which makes this guitar stay in tune. When I bought mine, It came with the cable, strings, and tools to adjust the truss rod and the bridge. The Look Impresses everyone I've shown, many people compliment me on my PT. // 10

Sound: It suits my musical style wonderfully, I play a broad range of music and the PT adapts quite readily, Anything from acoustic runs to Hard Core metal. I've run this guitar on several amps, Including a Marshall TSL, Marshall Valvestate S80, An original Fender Hot Rod Deville, Crate GLX-15, Orange Tiny Terror, and a Vox AD50VT. I have no issues with noise on all the amps I've played on so long as the amp is properly grounded. I've played on ungrounded amps that introduce a load of noise. (not to mention shock you when you touch another guitarist.) The guitars variety vary on the player, this guitar can pretty much take whatever you can throw at it so long as your skilled enough to play it. Thrash metal, Blues riffs, Intense metal solos, ANYTHING. The guitar can play it if you can. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It has withstood Live playing with me, and The hardware is VERY sturdy, and the strap buttons are drilled deep into the guitar. I Still wouldn't sling it around without straplocks, even though it takes impossible force to attach the strap without removing the strap buttons. I depended on it for 3 years without a backup. And I still do gig on it without a backup! The finish is perfect. My guitar after all it's use has only suffered minor scratches and those were bound to come sooner or later. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014