Revenger FR Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 12/01/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Revenger FR
It's a Schecter Revenger-FR, made in Indonesia, 24 Jumbo Frets, basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, the paint is a satin black very cool.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 5.1
reviews (3) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Revenger FR Reviewed by: JJGomez2k, on april 05, 2011

Purchased from: Store in Argentina

Features: It's a Schecter Revenger-FR, made in indonesia, 24 Jumbo Frets, basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, the paint is a satin black very cool, it's a Floyd Rose Licenced Bridge, Duncan Designed Active pickups, it has a volume, a tone and a 3-way switch, and it has Schecter Tuners which I found them quite good. // 9

Sound: It's a guitar made for metal, but it's also capable of blues and classic rock, I'm using Guitar Rig 4, I used some effects, but it doesn't sound as good as an Amplifier (I tested it on the Fender Frontman 212r), and it was awesome, it's capable of doing harmonics pretty good, and the tone is very good, I think with a 81/85 of EMG it will blow your mind. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well set-up at the factory, it's set-up at USA I think, The guitar itself because it was already the way I liked it, the fretboard was very fast, compared to the Fender stratocaster, the neck felt good, and the body shape and paint it's incredible. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think it could last a live gig, the strap buttons I switched them because I have a DiMarzio Cliplock strap, but the screws on it were fine, I think you could gig without a backup, the guitar is very solid, it stays in tune great, and the paint job was awesome! // 10

Overall Impression: I play Dream Theater, Metallica, AC/DC, System of a Down, some Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, I've been playing for almost 2 years, I upgraded from a Very cheap Strat copy, and I'm planning to buy a Fender Frontman 65r or Peavey Envoy 110, the guitar was better than I hoped, if it were lost, I would buy the same one or better, I love the body shape and my favorite feature is the Floyd Rose, I also played the Fender Highway 1, Epiphone Les Paul and the Ibanez RG350, but the Revenger was the best in terms of comfort. I wish it would have a pair of 81/85 EMG's. // 9

Revenger FR Reviewed by: metalhead61, on april 28, 2011

Features: To start, let's start with the bridge. The Bridge is a Floyd Rose; it has absolutely perfect spring tension making it firm enough that you don't over-stretch the strings, but it's not hard to move. It has a good feel to it to use for things such as dive-bombs, or anything else a Floyd Rose would be used for. The only problem I found when I began playing this guitar was getting used to tuning; I would tune it up, but the locks on, but then the string tension would sometimes mess the tuning up while trying to bring it to e-standard, and sometimes knock the fine tuners off. The body is Basswood, the neck maple and the fretboard rosewood decorated with pearl inlays. The neck is also a bolt on. All of this makes it a very heavy guitar, and while getting used to standing can give cramp in the shoulder. The finish in my opinion is gorgeous. It is a satin black matte finish which works perfectly well with the Avenger body shape giving it a very "cool" appearance. My version has active pickups which is very good (which will be explained in the next section) but to some people when the battery has worn down it may annoy them. They are Duncan Designed. I have heard that the tuners are Grovers, but on mine they say Schecter, they come with locking devices so the Floyd Rose does not put them out of tune, but without using the Floyd Rose with the locks off the tuners stay in tune exceptionally well. There are no extra accessories which come with it apart from a cable of rather good quality, mine got used a lot but lasted for the best part of a year, with rough usage. Ordinary bags don't fit it; I had to purchase a bass guitar bag to fit it in. It has 1 tone, 1 volume and 1 3-way switch. While trying to be completely unbiased, while I have pointed out problems they're extremely minor which is why I still give it such a high rating. // 9

Sound: The active pickups are built more for distortion which is obvious, because on a clean setting, sometimes if you strum the strings hard it sounds like there is a little bit of gain/drive on. When the setting is on distortion though the sound is imperceptibly good; it is extremely sharp, thick and you can hold any note and it lasts for ages. I use a Line 6 Spider IV amp and a Line 6 FBV Shortboard MKII pedal; though the pedal does not alter the sound, just if you have a Spider IV I highly recommend that footpedal. On every setting, especially metal and insane distortion, the sound is exceptional. It is very obvious to me when the Switch is switched from any of the sounds to another. Also the pickups are fantastic for pinch harmonics which are used a lot in metal, which is what I use this guitar for. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything when I got it was perfect and has remained perfect for the 15 months I have had it, with no flaws or problems at all. The pickups were adjusted perfectly and there were absolutely no problems with anything. Just make sure you don't leave the jack in when you're not playing as it drains the battery powering the active pickups. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar for about 15 months, and I play for about 5 hours a day, this means the finish where it sits on my leg has worn away to reveal the wood beneath but everywhere else, while it has scratches, it has to be scrutinized very closely to be noticed. This is a very solid and reliable guitar, no problems have ever occurred so there wont be need for a backup guitar at a gig. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, and have played for 2 and a half years, I got this guitar after the first year and for the time I could play some intermediate stuff, but no advanced, so it didn't stand out loads when I started playing it. But that was also because of the amp i had at the time, which was a fender, probably worth about 30. Now though, since I have my Line 6 everything about it is fantastic. When I was trying different guitars to get, I tried about five different BCriches, three Fenders and one Ibanez, this guitar stood out above all of them by miles, even though they were all in the same price range. If I lost it or it got stolen I wouldn't hesitate in buying a new one. I love everything about this guitar, the shape and finish is gorgeous, and the Floyd Rose is fantastic to play with, the pickups exceptional and the action also very good, though not the best I have felt. I now have a Dean Vendetta Resurrection which has the best action I have ever felt, but i bought that for 500 so it was 131 more, which i think is fair enough, while the sound is probably better in some ways the Dean came with problems, and a strap peg broke, which makes the Schecter more reliable than a 500 guitar. This guitar is fantastic value for money. I sincerely recommend it. // 10

Revenger FR Reviewed by: lamotley, on december 01, 2011

Purchased from: Local instrument shop

Features: The guitar was made maybe in 2008 I think in Indonesia. The neck scale is about 25.5" which is a little too thick. Rosewood fretboard with 24 frets and has cool gothic cross inlats. It got black satin finish, and does only look like an B.C. Rich Mockingbird if you turn it around otherwise it's the same body as Synyster Gate's signature guitars. This monster is mounted with two Duncan Designed Active HB-105. It's written "Schecter" on the tuners, which is very good! The Licenced Floyd Rose kicks f--king tons of ass! It never falls out of tune, it's way easier to pull down or up than the floyds on Jacksons, B.C. Riches etc. I can rape the hell out of the f--king thing and it's still in tune! I couldn't ask for a better tremolo system. It's a great thing if you want to use alot of divebombs, squeals etc. // 7

Sound: I play everything from rock n' roll to thrash metal which includes glam etc. This thing executes the heavier genres best, because of the rich fat sound it produces but I can play everything else I want on it. I have tried it with some Marshalls, Peavey's and Line 6 (unfortunately), and it sounds bada-s! I have Marshall mini stack Dave Mustain signature, and it gets a decent sound, but it's waaaay better on a biga-s Marshall stack! I never actually uses effects except for when I'm playing on the clean channel. On the clean channel, I use just a little chorus to get the clean parts as good sounding and beautiful as possible, the sound is great! Doesn't produce tiny bits of distortion when I play rough, when playing clean. The guitar is a good alround guitar, it's best suited for heavy metal and harder stuff, but it sounds good when playing rock n' roll as well. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first bought it, it has been in the shop for 3 months I think and there has been a lot of people who had tried it in that amount of time but I'm happy that no one have scratched the hell out of it or bumped it into something. It was in a perfect state when I got a hold of it, the pickup was adjusted just as I like it, the space between the strings and the fretboard was great. I love low action. Everything has been intact since I've bought it and I have owned it for about 3 years now and there has been absolutely nothing wrong with it. Everything has been perfect on this guitar except for the fat neck, but that doesn't make the guitar bad in any way at all. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This motherf--ker will withstand alot of live playing. I have gigged with it a few times and it has never made any trouble for me. The hardware is of good quality and will last for many years to come. The strap buttons are very solid since they are big and I'm using a very thich leather strap which I couldn't almost get on the buttons when I first got it. I have used this without a backup and it went smoothly, but you'll NEVER know what may happen so I will have a backup everytime I gig. The finish will wear and that is something you have to accept, somewhere on the body, the finish are very thin so if you bump into something the tree will show. I don't care so much about that since I have used a knife and scratched every side of the body, looks bada-s but I don't recommend it to someone who wants the finish to last. // 7

Overall Impression: I play everything from rock n' roll to thrash metal, and the guitar can go through all those genres but I personally thinks that it sounds better when playing thrash metal. Fits Megadeth, Sodom, Judas Priest best. I have been playing for 4 years now and I could have been better since I'm a lazy motherf--ker. I have my Schecter of course, a BaCH Explorer, two fake china guitars (I knew it from before I buyed them, just wanted to see how they were), a Tokai mat (most advanced Technology) and my personal favorite, my Peavey Vandenberg 1st edition. What I personally love about this thing is the Floyd Rose, it kicks so much a-s and it never gets out of tune. Not really, I learned what I needed to know along the way. If this thing was stolen, I would seek out that bitch and f--king throw him (possibly a him) into the kitchen and make me a f--king sammich! // 6

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014