S-1 Review

8.7
 8.9
reviews (3) pictures (3) 29 comments vote for this gear:
S-1 Reviewed by: Bass90, on april 10, 2006

Features: This is a 2005 Korean made Schecter S1 but 100% set up in the United States. It has 24.75" scale and a set neck. The body is mohogany and the neck is rosewood and it features 22 jumbo frets, excellent Grovere tuners, TonePros Tom system, chrome harware, a beautiful creme colored binding on the neck and goergous mother of pearl 3-ply crown inlays. Mine came with a stunning see thru-cherry color finish. Its pickups are a decent pair of Duncan Designed HB-102s passive pickups in both the neck and bridge positions. However when I later changed the pickups it had a label of HB-103 so I wasn't really sure. Anyway it also comes with a 2 volume control and 1 tone control and a three way selecter Switch. All very nice features. // 10

Sound: I play anything from pop-punk all the way up to death metal and I have to say that this guitar unfortuntley does not cover them all. I run it through a Line 6 Spider II 30 Modeling amp with a little reverb and it sound spectecular at first. The Duncan's sound very rich and full at first but they start to wear out and get deep. They give out good distortion but not enough for soloing. You can solo, but you would mabey want a distorion pedal for it. The thing plays chords like butter. My favorite thing about the Duncans is that you can get that heavy "chug chug" when you palm mute. I love the Grover Tuners. They keep the guitar in tune for a long time. However like I said before, the Duncans wear out after a while and start to sound horrible. After having them in (a little over a year), I decided to change them to the almighty EMG 81/85 combination. Now it sounds like a Demon thanks to the wood quality of the S1. In conclusion about the sound. The S1 sounds beautiful at first but after at least a year of playing with it. You would want to pull out the Duncan pickups and put in somthing else. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar. The action was to high so I lowered it a little and it sounded perfect. It was set up at a factory. My only grudge about the S1 is the body. It looks goergous but accessing the higher frets is a pain in the ass due to the SG sort-of body but other wise every thing was perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The S1 is a durable guitar but its extremley fragile. I sligltly bumped into a wall while I was playing it and cracked the head stock a little bit. It can easily be scratched because of the thin finish. However, none of this effected the sound of the guitar what so ever so the I was pleased with. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2 years now and I play anything form punk to metal. The S1 covers almost every style at first but then starts to wear out and sound like crap after a year. The only issue is the Duncan pickups. They go from amazing to horrbile in a year. I love the quality wood of the guitar, it's finishes and its look but I've grown to hate the Duncan Designs (luckliy I replaced them with EMG 81/85). If the guitar were stolen, I would defentley hunt the guy who took it or just buy another one just due to the fact that the guitar is just sooooo goergous. I would defentley recommend this guitar, but only if you decide to replace its stock pick-ups with somthing else after you have it for a a little over a year. It is also a good buy and can hang with the big brands such as PRS and Gibson if you do decide to replace the pickups. // 9

S-1 Reviewed by: decamel, on january 06, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Parts mostly made in Korea, setup in the US. This is the Vampira Limited Series. All white, with a special paint job and red bat fret inlays. With a picture of the original Queen of scream Vampira herself on the body. Out of the box this comes with very nice Seymour Duncan picks, great sound and tone. Came with a hardshell Coffin Case as well, which just adds to the effect. // 9

Sound: Since I generally just play different styles of metal this look fits great. However the tone I've found is good for blues, country, metal, just about anything I've played this fits. The only place you might run into a problem is the strings. I've used all kinds of different strings and gauges to find the best sound. For my tastes and for the ease of playing I've found the Ernie Ball Classic.10 gauge fit the bill the best here. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factor set-up was fairly complete. However there was a noticeable buzz on the top two strings with anything close to heavy gauge strings. Slight ajustments of the bridge and truss would needed to correct this. As well as matching adjustments of the pickups to compensate for that. The tuners are good enough, though if you're going to do a ton of bending I would recommend an upgrade there as well. The flat black finish is a nice touch on the tuners, however I think that Schecter could have found something a touch more exotic looking for this while keeping with the Standard quality of tuners that are had here. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Probably the most durable guitar that I've played in a long long time. While this is no Les Paul or Strat, this is no slouch either. It's been dropped a few times in the case (not from high though or with great speed) and nary an issue was had after. The internal wiring seems slightly less then perfect so be warned here. I've had to adjust that some, and tighten up the jack for the cable often. To the point that I've changed them out with something higher end to get it to stay put and sound good at all times. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall for the money, if you can find a good used one you cannot go wrong. Sadly Schecter has stopped making these new, though I have read in a few places this might be reissued during the summer of 2009. If that is the case and there are some slight upgrades this would be the perfect guitar for home for anyone, and great for almost any show or practice that you might be in. // 10

S-1 Reviewed by: punkmetalr, on january 12, 2012

Purchased from: relay music

Features: This guitar features a set neck with 22 frets. Two Duncan designed splittable pickups modeled after the JB/Jazz pickup set from Seymor Duncan. Mahogany body and neck. Tone pros tune-o-matic bridge. Grover tuners, some pretty neck binding, and some cool cracked mother of pearl inlays. Yeah I gave it a 10 but thats because its so cheap for what your getting so don't hate. // 10

Sound: This guitar has great tone. To get a set neck guitar for this price with this quality you can't really beat it. It can pump out some beautiful clean tones especially with the coil splitting feature one that may seem unnecessary at first but really I use a lot now. That single coil tone adds a lot of sharpness to clean riffs. The stock pickups aren't bad for being Duncan's offshore brand but its the one area of the guitar that I had to upgrade. I kept the neck pickup because I don't use it as much but I switched the HB-102 out for a Seymour Duncan JB and all of the tone that I could ever need is there now. It just sounds great. I am mainly a rhythm metal player but I play a lot of leads too in my own time and also anything from blues to punk to classical and this guitar has the tone to satisfy all for days. Stock pickups don't do that bad of a job either, I mean for what your paying they sound great. Overall this guitar has a very great sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was adjusted pretty well from the factory. Set up played great. I just recently had it set up by a very professional shop near me which did such a good job that its not fair to compare it to other places set ups but I will anyway. Now that the guitar has been set up by someone else its really become wonderful to play. The neck is a little thicker than most shred guitars so I wouldn't recommend it for that but its not near as thick as a Les Paul and is absolutely perfect for any rhythm guitarist who wants to have as much tone as possible and be able to throw some really fast licks in there and have some fun. No complaints about pick up height other than the fact than they weren't the ones I wanted lol. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can and has withstood live playing. It withstood my first gig at which I got so hammered that I dropped the guitar while playing, picked it up and continued playing like nothing happened to it. Yes I scratched the hell out of my finish but you can't expect any guitar to not get scratched when dropped on concrete. Strap buttons are pretty solid but any smart guitarist should get strap locks. Would use without a backup but only if I trusted myself haha. Hardware is professional grade and the finish is also so of course it will last! // 9

Overall Impression: Well I've been playing about 4 years but have only become a serious musician in the past 2. I'm in a serious metal band and I was in a punk band for a while but that was mostly for fun. This guitar though was great for that and also meets all my metal needs especially with its bad ass appearance. If it were stolen I would go all boondock saints all over everyone's asses. This guitar is great, very comfortable, great sounding, easy playing and just plain old hard to hate, so I wold say it beats most guitars in its price range except for other schecters! Seriously to any beginning guitarists out there spend the extra money on one of these over a really cheap guitar, having something like this will motivate you to play more because it actually sounds good! Well I hope this review helped someone. Rock on! // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014