S-1 Elite Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 08/02/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: S-1 Elite
The S1 Elite is a set-neck double cutaway with a figured maple top on its mahogany body. The neck is 3-piece mahogany with a 22-jumbo fret fingerboard and Gothic Cross inlays. Its Tone Pros bridge system strings thru the body for increased sustain and the fullest tone. Other features include Grover tuners, Duncan Design H101 pickups and abalone binding. The S1 Elite simply looks & plays like nothing else!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 9.4
 9.3
 9.4
 9.2
reviews (8) 19 comments vote for this gear:
S-1 Elite Reviewed by: Guitarplaya27, on july 10, 2006

Features: This guitar has a very unique sound for a guitar. It can play metal, punk, and blues without changing a setting on your amp. It has 22 jumbo frets. The pickups are the Seymour Duncan Designed HB-102 / SC-102, with a tab that you can pull up to split the coils for a single coil sound. Great feature. 3-way switch selector, one volume, one tone, and one tab button/volume for the single coil sound. Grover tuners that keep it in tune. Mahagony/quilted maple body. Mohagony/rosewood neck. Black chrome hardware. Black Cherry Finish. // 10

Sound: This guitar can handle Metal and rock with the pickups that it has in it. Then it can handle Blues with the tab that can be pulled up, which gives you a single coil sound because it splits the humbuckers, and can always be put back to the original humbuckers no problem without losing the sound. Then neck is great with your hands, has more of a PRS neck. Thinnier than a Gibson and thicker than a Fender. When you bend a string, it gets thsi unique sound, especially with the neck humbucker. With the bridge humbucker, you get a clean sound no matter what you play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was pretty regular. The pickups have and still have not had any problems, perfect! This guitar had no problems at all. And the Finish on the guitar is artwork, black cherry finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definately stands live playing well. It Adjusts to different temperature easily. The hardware hasnt failed me yet, so it should last, unless I destroy them. The strap buttons are great! I have a strap that is realy beaten up and looser, but since these Strap Buttons are so wide, it fit perfectly, and it wont fall out from the strap. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal and rock, some hardcore. The guitar just looks that bad, and plays even badder. I have been playing this guitar for about 1 month, I have a Paul Reed Smith Tremonti SE which is great. They compare pretty evenly in my eyes. I compared it to A Schecter omen, but the omens metal sound was too clumpy, same with the Schecter Tempest. Then I saw the C1 Elite, they had the same sound except I didn't like that jazz pickup. So I decided I would give up 24 frets for a better pickup. // 10

S-1 Elite Reviewed by: Ak Chuckles, on may 17, 2006

Features: The Schecter S1 Elite is a very versitile guitar I personally feel. It can play from blues, rock, metal, MC Hammer, and much more. One problem is the treble knob goes out relatively fast. It was made in 2005 in korea, it's only 22 frets but it's versatility make up for it. It's a laminated top doesn't scratch easy, the neck is mohogany with a body of the same wood. It's a simplistic black staind top. It's a double cut away body hand stop at the end of the neck. It contains a Tune-O-Matic bridge which lets it hold its sound for long periods. It holds passive electronics. It has a 3-way push pull system off the rhythm knob. It has 2 Duncan 101 pickups with single coils hand wound. It has locking grover tuners which easily help you tune. It did not come with any accescories but it's a really nice guitar. // 8

Sound: It suits my style perfectly which is metal, and I only run through basic Fender princton chorus distortion. It goes good with any style. It can be as loud and noisy as you want it, on treble it can let a little bit of feedback out but barely noticable. The guitar can make almost any sound except insane ones like Corey. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the factory it had a nice set up with crazy action. The pickups were almost perfect just a little twicked in shipping. The bridge is really nice and holds your tune, and the top is rout to perfection. The only flaw was the top string buzzed and the frets from 20 and down were a little rough. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can with stand live playing by a mile, the hardware is a little fragile but it holds, the strap buttons are way more solid then you think. I would use it on a gig without a backup but I don't play in front of thousounds. The finish is thick with four coats of clear finish for extra playing. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal but I play a little of everything, and it is a good match for all. I've been playing for two years and I own a Fender Telecaster, Malden Stiger, and Epiphone Firebird VII and for amps a Fender 8x8 and a Fender princeton chorus. I wish I had gotten the Schecter C1 Elite because of its alpine white finish and high treble. If it was lost or stolen I would buy a Schecter C1 Elite. // 8

S-1 Elite Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 05, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Look at what the other guys wrote to get the features. The only feature problem I have with it are the Seymour Duncans. They're passive and sound weak sometimes. I'm putting EMGs in mine. Sting through body means changing strings takes no time. I've heard of them having intonation problems but haven't experienced any myself. gover tuners keep everything sounding the way it should. Do not buy the Schecter case for this guitar because it is a steaming pile of crap. // 9

Sound: I mostly play thrash and metal and there are times it sounds muddy, but I put that on the pickups. I play through a Boss DS-1 running to a Marshall DFX35 or something like that (little practice guy). When played clean on the neck, you get incredibly rich and warm tones. It's a screamer when distorted on the bridge pickup. I get some hum but I'm playing heavy distortion through a little amp so it's gonna happen. Not enough to annoy though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I pulled mine out of the box and started playing immediately. They're made in Asia somewhere, and set up in America before being sent to the buyer. I bought mine with the grey mist finish and it looks gorgeous. The rest of the body is a dark maple and the binding looks really good with the neck inlays. It has 22 jumbo frets that make playing incredibly easy. No problems with the action, but I'm not the type of player that worries about action too much as long as I'm comfortable. I have big hands so sometimes I get caught up in the cutaway when trying to play the highest notes. I bought this guitar based on the looks knowing I could make change out hardware if I wans't happy with the sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I had mine 8 months and play it at least 3 hours a day and haven't experienced any failures yet. I would never gig without a backup but I wouldn't worry about this one going out or anything like that. I've never had any problems with any of the hardware. My strap always stays where it's supposed to which is reassuring. All of the knobs and the 3-way switch seem to be durable. Nothing has happened that would make me think otherwise. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar because it was pretty to my eyes and when it got to me I was happy to hear how pretty it was to my ears. If you play really heavy you may want to change the pickups, but if you are a straight ahead rocker you should be fine. You can get some really moody tones playing clean which I really enjoy. It's a good guitar. // 9

S-1 Elite Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 12, 2007

Features: I can hardly begin to describe what an awesome guitar this is. I must say that the details are completely superb and offer an incredible playing experience. Perhaps the most noticable features on the instrument are the multi-colored lining on the neck, and the unique multi-colored goth-style crosses on the third, fifth, seventh, ninth, and twelfth frets. These do not serve any purpose, the just make for a wicked sweet decoration. Two features that do actively function are the excellent and excedingly powerful Duncan-designed open-coil pickups. They offer a jagged, powerful, heavy metal sound. That sound can also change with a useful coil-tapping technique, activated by pulling up on the tone knob. As well, two well-needed volume controls also adorn this transparent red guitar's lovely double-cut body. The instrumant's sweet looking bridge only adds to it's beauty and uniqueness. I'm really unsure of what to call it though. It looks like a tension bridge, but it's not and it just, aw, forget it! Anywho, this incredible, twenty-two fret instrument, also features a unique head shape, silver, non-locking tuners, and a three-way selecter. // 10

Sound: As I mentioned before, the Duncan-designed pickups create a sharp, jagged, harsh sound that's just perfect for hard rock and heavy metal! However, I am learning to play a lot of classic rock stuff, (eg. Boston, Rush, Rolling Stones, Blue Oyster Cult etc)and I often use the coil-tap. Also, this guitar is awful and producing acustic-like sounds when played on a high volume level, above half of the full volume of a fifteen watt amplifier. Even with the coil-tap, above that half way point, the pickups are so powerful that they will distort a perfectly cleen sound. Alas, this fine instrument does produce a full, thick sound, again, perfect for playing heavy metal (eg. Guns 'n Roses, Metallica, Killswitch Engauge, Avenged Sevenfold) and, since the purchase of said guitar, I have been writing stuff more along the lines of sort of a fusion between Blue Oyster Cult, Evanescence, H. I. M., and Avenged Sevenfold (I know, go figure). Anywho, clean does sound good below the half way point. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up perfectly! Everything was in place and almost calling out to me. No complaints, as of purchase date. Here are the two main flaws discovered after date of purchase. About two weeks after I bought it, the last string broke and has constantly broke since. I sort of figure if I use a thicker string, it'll last longer, but it still snaps. I don't know. Maybe it's just me (oh, yeah. So far the top three strings are the only ones that have broken. WTF?) I'm going on nine months of owning this thing, and about one month ago, I discovered that the rythem pickup was sagging on on side a bit, greatly reducing the sound quality of the rythem sound. Anyway, those are the only two complaints. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Personally, I think the only non-durable aspect of the S-1 Elite is that last freakin string! Ok, I'm better in the head now. I would definately bring this on stage without a backup, provided, that thicker strings were recently added, of course. Everything else is perfect! Remarkable! Frankly, I think the only way this guitar could easily break is if you bash the heck out of it after a killer performance. The finish? Oh, please. You could play until the year 2112, and it still would look georgous. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before, I have been writing heavier stuff since I first recieved this instrument, and, on this beauty, it's a perfect match! I've only been playing for about two years, but I feel I've truly come a long way in developing my skills. I currently own a Crate amplifier along with two other crappy guitars, and about 10,000 picks. This is really the only nice, stage-worthy guitar I have. So, if someone stole it, I think I'd just go buy another one (prefferably in blue. I never saw what the blue finish looked like until about a month ago, and I'd kind of like that more than the red). I think my favorite feature on this one-of-a-kind giutar is the coil-tap. I just find that really cool. My only regret, you may ask? I just wish it had twenty-four frets. Then, it would be as close to perfect as any guitar could be. // 9

S-1 Elite Reviewed by: Deadcell34, on july 11, 2007

Features: Ah, the Schecter S-1 Elite. An "almost" perfect guitar. I will get to the "almost" part in a second. If I am right, mine is a 2007 model but not really sure where it was made, Korea maybe? It has 22 jumbo scale frets. The neck's scale is 24.75", set-in neck style, 3-pc. with mahogany back and a beautiful rosewood fretboard. The body is made of mahogany with a quilted maple top. As far as I know, it comes in four colors: Black Cherry, Cayman Blue, Antique Amber (discontinued), and Grey Mist (the Zacky Vengeange signature color). I bought mine in the Cayman Blue finish, just because the Black Cherry finish was on back order (for like a month) at every online Schecter dealer, but I am so glad I got the Cayman blue. This finish is beautiful and looks 10 times better than the Black Cherry in my opinion. The body style is kinda odd, kind of a mix between a thin Les Paul at the body's bottom with the signature SG body top. It also has this beautiful Abalone binding around the whole guitar (including the neck! ), with the signature Abalone "Gothic Cross" inlays in the fretboard. The bridge is a TonePros Tune-O-Matic bridge (w/string thru body) which makes changing strings simple and also allows the guitar to resonate to it's fullest potential. The controls consist of a 3-way pickup selector, two volume knobs and a tone knob (in which the tone knob also acts as a 3-way tap so you can split the humbuckers for a single coil sound; all it takes is a pull of the tone knob, and push it down for the humbucker sound again). This guitar has two humbuckers which are the Duncan Designed HB-102 / SC-102. The tuners are Grover tuners which are non-locking but stays in tune very well, not to mention that it's easy to tune too. However, there are no accessories included with this guitar other than your basic tools for maintenance. I plan on purchasing the case for this guitar sometime but I don't really need it just yet. Oh, and the "almost" perfect comment I made a while ago. The only reason I said "almost" is that it could use a tremolo, then this guitar would be perfect in my opinion. I really wish I could give a 9.9 rating for this part but since it's only in multiples of 1, I will give it a 9, a 9.9 is more suitable though. // 9

Sound: I mostly play hard rock, metal, blues, and alternative. This guitar can do it all. The coil tap works perfectly to give you those classic Stratocaster sounds and and the Humbuckers can be easily compared to that of a Les Paul or possibly a mid-level PRS (but it's hard to beat a PRS). I play a lot of Creed and Alter Bridge type stuff so if you are looking for that Mark Tremonti sound, this is the guitar for you. "Higher", "Open Your Eyes", "One Last Breath", ect. sounds beautiful on this thing. My rig consists of a Crate XT120R 120 Watt 2X12 combo amp (which I plan to replace the current speakers with two Celesion Vintage 30's) with a DigiTech RP100 digital effects processor, Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer, and Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon Wah. The rear humbucker on this guitar hums a little but not much. It has various tones which vary from a warm/fat sound to a sharp/bright sound. The harmonics on this guitar are absolutely amazing, not to mention it really squeels when you hit a pinch hamonic. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was almost perfect. The only problem I had with it was the mediocre strings and that the fretts buzzed a little (that was fixed easily with a change of strings and I raised the bridge a little). The action was great just the way it was when I recieved it but like I said, I had to tweak it due to the fret buzz. Some people say that they had to raise their pickups a bit but I don't understand why? I have no problems out of the sound from the pickups, the volume is fine and the sustain is well, to put it bluntly: LONG! The guitar came with no manufacturer flaws what-so-ever. The finish was perfect, quality of wood is unbeatable, hardware is great, ect. Oh, and I don't think I mentioned the fit and balance. This guitar is a carved-top so it feels very comfortable to your strumming arm. The back is contoured so that allows for very comfortable positioning while playing. And the weight balance is perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As far as I know, this guitar is very durable. I don't even have a scratch on mine because I try to take be very carful about how I handle it. I do know that this guitar will last though, through inspection and other reviews I have noticed just how rock solid this guitar is. The strap buttons are big and very solid, I wouldn't really have anything to worry about with them but (as a personal preference) I plan on putting a Strap Lok (and yes that's how it's spelled) system on it just for extra security. I definately could depend on this guitar, it's rock solid and the sound is up there with the Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Strats. Would I play a gig without a backup? Yea, I would. it's the most reliable guitar I own and I would feel very secure playing at a gig without a backup. The finish seems like it's very durable. I have put quite a few hours into playing this one but not enough to know just how durable it really is. However, from what I have heard, it has about 4 layers or clear coat on it (not really sure how true that is though) so if that's the case then the finish should hold up for a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said earlier, I play a lot of blues, hard rock, metal, and alternative; and this guitar suits my playing styles perfectly. I have been playing for about 6 1/2 years now and still going strong. The guitar that I used as my primary before this one was an Ibanez GSA60 which is a fairly decent guitar but it will serve as my backup because it just can't compare with this beast. If my Schecter was stolen/lost I would definately buy another. I have actually considered buying another (whether something happened to this one or not) in another color. Either that or get a lower level PRS (just for something different). What do I love about this guitar? Everything, it's everything I could hope for and more. There is nothing about this guitar that I hate. My favorite feature would probably be the finish/binding, or maybe the coil tap humbuckers. Comparisons? I would easily compare it to a Gibson Les Paul or maybe a mid-level PRS. What do I wish it had? A tremolo, that's about it. Other than that, shear perfection. // 10

S-1 Elite Reviewed by: Niicckkk, on march 11, 2008

Purchased from: GuitarZone

Sound: This guitar has the widest ranging tone of any guitar that I have ever played. It can play blues, metal, classic rock, and jazz. The tap coil Switch allows you to get a single coil effect. The pickups give a Rich sound. I have played it through a Roland Cube, a Peavey tube halfstack, and a Marshall halfstack, ran through a DigiTech RP-2000 pedal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have had this guitar for a year now, playing for 4-8 hours a day, gigging, band practicing, recording, and have never had noticed any flaws with it. However, the input jack wires are cheap, and could break on you, which costs 20$ to repair. The pickups are adjusted well, but one of my pickup pots broke after only 9 months. No other problems have been noticed so far. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is mostly reliable, but the input jack wires are cheap and break easy. This costs roughly 20$ to repair. The strap buttons are solid, and I've never had a problem with it. The finish is great and will last after years of playing. I have played gigs without a backup, however I advise you to always have an extra guitar just incase, as I have had problems with my pickup wiring and pickup pots. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal\blues and this guitar is perfect for both of those. I have been playing guitar for 3 and a half years now, and own a Fender Stratocaster guitar, along with various pedals and amps. If it where stolen or lost, I think I would go with one of the Schecter Hellraiser guitars, or an Ibanez. The neck is thick, which makes it hard to reach the higher frets. Also things like sweep picking can hurt your wrist as it is a huge stretch to move that fast from the top to the bottom. One thing that I wish it had was a thinner neck. I do love the design, the pickups, the tap coil, and the tuners, but I don't like how thick the neck is. // 8

S-1 Elite Reviewed by: The7isbest, on january 27, 2009

Purchased from: Birthday Gift

Features: This is an amazing guitar for any genre of music. The body is very light, but there's still tons of sustain. Grover tuners, Seymour Duncan Pick-ups. Volume for each pick-up, and a coil-tap swtich. 3-way Pick-up Switch. 22 Jumbo frets. Awesome in-lays, I mean really, way better than any others. // 10

Sound: This fits my style perfectly. I'm not much for Strats and Teles, because I like a thick, LP-like neck. And this guitar brings the sound of a Strat and an LP neck together. It's awesome. The Coil Tap is prefect for blues, softer rock, stuff like that (Clapton, Hendrix, etc.). I use it through a Fender FM65 DSP and it works beautifully. Clean tone, Metal tone, it sounds awesome. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is perfect for me. I like a nice, low action. The pick-ups were a tad low, but that wasn't a problem. The Bridge and the hardware are all finely set up. There's no flaws really, it's quite a guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands live playing without a backup, most definitely. The hardware is perfect, though I'll probably upgrade the pick-ups. The Strap-buttons are just fine, no problems there. The finish... it's nearly indestructible. Ok, not THAT good, but perfect as long as you don't plan on throwing it on the ground too much. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything, and this guitar accommodates well to my styles. I've been playing for about a year, and I own an Epiphone Les Paul Custom. If this guitar was stole or lost... I'd go berserk and kill whoever stole it... or buy a new one. // 10

S-1 Elite Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2011

Purchased from: mug.se

Features: It was made in 2005 in Korea but is not just put together anyold how, it is a 1 piece guitar and is very well built, double cutaway with Ultra access and Duncan designed pickups, grover tuners and a three way selector switch, it also has 2 volume knobs and 1 tone knob with coil tap. // 10

Sound: This guitar have a wide sound range for all styles of music, althouch I use mine for heavy metal and rock. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is a very solid guitar and I have not had any problems with any thing so far although the knobs will have to go. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable and I would use it for everything, and all the hardwere is not going to break easily. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play rock and heavy metal and this guitar is perfect for this but it can also be used for all other types aswell, I play with a Marshall G80RCD and that works fine for me, if it were ever stolen I would definatly consider buying another. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014