SGR Solo-6 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 04/18/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: SGR Solo-6
This guitar is actually pretty good for any style I have tried with it! The stock pickups can produce a nice rock tone and really surprised me with how nice they sounded clean! Overall, I like to think of this guitar as a blank canvas, perfect price and durability to be able to upgrade on a budget.
 7.9
 7.8
review (1) pictures (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
SGR Solo-6 Reviewed by: Faceless_teen, on april 18, 2012

Features: I believe this to be a 2012 model and this series is manufactured in China. It has 24 Medium/jumbo frets on a maple neck with rosewood fret board and a 25.5" scale. The body is solid basswood which is pretty nice on a cheaper LP style guitar because it gives the nice solid feel of an LP with a good weight. My guitar is a gloss-white body with a satin lacquered neck, no binding on body or neck. The body is a nice Schecter solo single-cut body with string through tune-o-matic bridge. It comes set up very simple with 1 Volume, 1 Tone knob, and a 3-way switch. It has 2 "SGR by Schecter" humbuckers, Grover-style Schecter tuners and all hardware is black-chrome. // 8

Sound: I mostly play a lot of hard rock and metal but I also play a lot of clean stuff, this guitar is actually pretty good for any style I have tried with it! The stock pickups aren't the greatest sounding for metal but they can produce a nice rock tone and really surprised me with how nice they sounded clean! I run my guitars through 2 amps, a Marshall MG50DFX 1x12" combo, and a Kustom 112FX 25 watt 1x12" combo (for my clean stuff). When running through my Marshall I do use some pedals (not always though) I use a Behringer CL9 Compressor/Limiter, and a Cry Baby, I like to leave most of the sound up to the amp. Since the stock pickups don't have a huge output, they don't really hum when left sitting, but they will definitely be replaced eventually. Even though they are not amazing, the stock pickups did surprise me with their sound and with the range of tones between the three positions. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Right out of the box the action was set pretty well, not quite how I would like it but good none the less. It seemed to be properly intonated and tunes up well. Pickups were set kinda mid-height so I adjusted those to my liking. The finish on the body was flawless and is a really nice gloss white, on the other hand though, the lacquer along the side of the fret board had TINY little scratches at the end of each fret wire but to be honest, the fret work was better done than I expected on this cheap of a guitar! Overall I was satisfied with the out of the box state. // 8

Reliability & Durability: With the solid, heavy, body and maple neck I think this guitar will stand up to quite a beating and would make a good guitar to gig and travel with. The stock hardware seems good quality so far and even the stock tuners are decent so I think they would last a while. Strap buttons are wide so they will hold a strap pretty good but I still threw on a set of strap locks. I would gig with this guitar and feel confident without a backup guitar, but only after replacing the stock pickups. In terms of the finish, it seems good enough to last though a little abuse. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I like to think of this guitar as a blank canvas, perfect price and durability to be able to upgrade on a budget. I have been playing for about 8 years and have owned many guitars over the years. I have owned Epiphones, Jackson, Deans, ESP/LTDs, Ibanez, and plenty of other brands but this is my first Schecter made product. If this guitar were lost or stolen I would think of buying another one just because it is a cheap price for a brand new guitar that I can easily upgrade. When I first picked it up I liked that it had some weight to it because I am a big Les Paul guy and I like having a solid guitar, I only wish that it were a 24.75" scale rather than 25.5". I am satisfied with this guitar, especially at the quality in its price range so overall I would recommend anyone who wants a decent guitar to upgrade, try this guitar! // 8

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.6 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014