Sunset Deluxe Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 09/27/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Sunset Deluxe
The Deluxe has a basswood body with an ultra-access cutaway that lets you get all the way up the fast 24-fret maple neck.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.3
 8.5
 8.1
reviews (2) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Sunset Deluxe Reviewed by: TheBigProjekt, on november 25, 2009

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

Features: Made in Korea in 08. Medium sized maple neck, 24 Jumbo frets, and rosewood fretboard. Standard Superstrat style, made with basswood, with a jet black finish. Liscenced Floyd Rose, 3-way with coil tap on the tone pot, and 2 volume pots. Came with 2 Schecter Diamond series pickups, and also Schecter's tuners. Came with a cheaply made cable. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal and hard rock, and it suits it enough to please me. I usually use it with a DigiTech RP50 and it gives me a pretty nice metal tone, but the pickups are really muddy! Very little definition, and it sounds boomy through everything! It also tends to get noisy when used on a really high gain amp without a noise gate. Cleans are much better, however, and it gives a really mellow clean tone, and a bit brighter, but not overly bright, tone with the coil tap on. The guitar can make a nice array of sounds, but it is limited by it's muddy pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up great from the factory, came in Eb with only a slight bit of buzz, but once the action was raised a bit, it was perfect. Pickups were a bit low for my tastes, but 20 seconds with a screwdriver fixed that. The bridge route was pretty good, but it did have a scratch in the spring cavity, but no one sees that, so no big deal. The guitar came in pretty much perfect condition, no bad wood or high frets, everything was great, except for the strap buttons. I was playing and all of a sudden, the strap button itself ripped out. Luckily, I caught it before it hit floor, or it could have done some serious damage. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar easily stood up to the few gigs I've done, and seems pretty solid. After owning it for a while, however, some flaws are coming out. The strap buttons, as I have mentioned before, suck. The hardware is almost worn off of the volume knobs, and parts of the Floyd Rose are spotty. The Floyd also decided to suck after about 4 months, so I had to block it, just to make the guitar usable. I wouldn't use this guitar without a backup, but I wouldn't use any guitar without a backup. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, it was a great guitar when I started playing, but I'm starting to grow out of it. I've been playing for about a year, and I'm looking forward to upgrade soon, because it's starting to wear down. If it were stolen, I'd definitely have to get something else, but it is a really nice guitar, and it served me well, but I'm not sure how much more it could take. // 7

Sunset Deluxe Reviewed by: Braxton12, on september 27, 2010

Purchased from: Shanghai Music and Sound

Features: My Sunset is a baddass guitar. It was made in Korea like every other Sunset Deluxe. Its got 24 fret rosewood fretboard with a maple neck. And everyone tries to say they all have basswood bodies but mine is made of mohogany bitches! I guess a lucked out; ). Its got the black gloss finish liek the rest of them and the reverse headstock. Gives it a nice metal/rock kinda look to it. Its got an amazing Floyd Rose the thing is the best I only have to tune it 4 times a month at the most. Has 3-way tone selector and factory shcecter daimond pickups has the volume tap and tone controls. Its got eveything you need. // 10

Sound: I normally play rock and metal which it plays perfectly with. I play it with a little Ibanez GTA10 amp(the amp sucks I need to upgrade just to let you all know).It works well wtih the amp though it doesn't get very noisy and has plenty of different tones I can adjust it to. It has a really nice clean and when you get to playign with tap and tone controls you can make it real bright or real low it has plenty of variety for anyone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When i got it is was Eb and could have been perfect for a lot of peoples standards but I set it up again myself. setup the bridge again. Readjusted the tremolo height, tuned for 2 hours straight and all that good stuff. But I like my guitars my way not the factory's way. The pickups are adjusted perfectly and the bridge is routed perfect. The only flaw is that the bridge and control knobs are tarnished..but that's gonna happen so oh well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gotten a band put together yet but I'm sure this thing will take all the pressure from playing in a gig. Its hardware is all steel or high durability aluminum so its not gonna fail me anytime soon. The strap buttons aint goin anywhere unlike what I've heard other people say. I wouldn't even bother bringing a backup to a gig if I brought this.the finish will last quite a while its thick as f--k so its not wearin down anytime soon either. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before I play rock and metal and this guitar is a pretty damn good match for that kinda stuff...it just feels right. I've been playing for a year and a half and this is my third guitar so I think I know what I'm talking about. I've got an Ibanez GIO and a Harmony manufactured Holiday: Stratotone Mars.(its 44 years and is in amazing condition just to let you know). Anyways back tot he schecter..if this thing got stolen I would either buy another one A or B I would upgrade to an even hgiher quality schecter. I love every damn thing abotu this guitar its got everythign you need and is all around a baddass guitar.People are always putting these things down saying they need better pickups or the bridge sucks... Well its because they are dumbasses..they obviously didn't have the FR setup properly and don't know good pickups when they hear them. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ C-1 Blackjack ATX FR 9.2 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014