Synyster Gates Custom-S Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 06/11/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Synyster Gates Custom-S
Well this guitar is the perfect match for the music I play (Avenged Sevenfold, obviously) and it sounds brilliant. I would recommend it over the Custom because you have all of Syn's capabilities in one guitar, even though it is that bit extra.
 9.4
 8.6
review (1) pictures (2) 31 comments vote for this gear:
Synyster Gates Custom-S Reviewed by: ebmusicman16, on june 11, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Made in South Korea and it includes a 24 fret neck with a scale of 25.5". The neck is three piece mahogany with an ebony fretboard with the SYN and deathbat inlays. This guitar has a Floyd Rose 1000 series tremolo system and has a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge position and a Sustainiac driver in the neck position which is an active pickup. It features one volume knob, one tone knob, three way toggle for the pickups, an on/off mini toggle for the Sustainiac and a three way mini toggle to switch between the normal mode, mix mode and harmonic mode. The guitar also has grover 18:1 tuners and didn't come with any accessories. // 9

Sound: Well as most people reading this review will probably be Avenged Sevenfold fans, I better say it is the best guitar I have ever played A7X songs on. It is perfect for metal and if you want to switch to a clean tone it will sound warm and crisp. I am currently using this guitar through a Line 6 Floor POD Plus which is plugged into a Line 6 Spider IV 30. I have set custom tones on this Floor Pod and it sounds brilliant through it. I have to say the Sustainiac is SO worth having, you can easily get the sound at the end of "So Far Away" just by turning the pickup on at a low volume, whereas before you would have to stand in front of a loud amp which isn't very practical. The variety of sounds you can get with it (for a signature guitar) are not limited and all of the stuff I have tried to play on it has worked amazingly. The only downside soundwise I have towards this guitar is that the strings vibrate a lot when you turn the pickup on because of the "magnetic field" it produces but it won't take very long to get used to it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The Floyd Rose was perfectly set up with it being perfectly flat. I have read part of the instruction manual and it said something about the optimum position for the pickup and when I picked the guitar up and had a look at it, it was in the optimum position. The way Schecter have set this guitar up is 100% perfect and I know I am giving a 10 but there was genuinely nothing wrong with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Seeing as Synyster Gates plays this guitar it will withstand live playing and the hardware on it is of the highest quality so it will definitely last a long time before I will need to get it repaired. The strap buttons seemed solid enough when it arrived but after an hour or so of having it I have replaced them for Schaller strap locks which hold in the holes perfectly. The finish is brilliant but the one problem I could potentially see with this guitar would be the battery running out in the middle of a gig if it isn't replaced often enough. Also I tend to leave my guitars plugged into the amp for a long time without playing it and after looking at the manual it says that putting a jack lead into it puts the pickup into standby which lasts 250 hours so a long time but I don't want to be running it down unnecessarily. // 9

Overall Impression: Well this guitar is the perfect match for the music I play (Avenged Sevenfold, obviously) and it sounds brilliant. I have now been playing guitar for five years and the other guitar I had that I used for metal was an Ibanez RG370DXL which is pretty cheap but after the original neck pickup broke I replaced them with Invaders in the neck and bridge position and a HOT Rail in the middle. This was good but what I really wanted was to have more sustain and only two pickups because the HOT Rail is good but when faced with two Invaders it seems to be quieter even if I raise it up. The Custom-S solves both of these problems with the "infinite" Sustainiac and doesn't have a middle pickup. Also the hardware on the Ibanez was of a satisfactory standard and it was the first guitar I had with a Floyd Rose style bridge but now I have got the Schecter I can see where my money has gone because everything is of that higher quality. This guitar is perfect for me and what I want to do. I would recommend it over the Custom because you have all of Syn's capabilities in one guitar, even though it is that bit extra. Also the price is good because to get the Sustainiac installed on a guitar it would cost $200-$250 so Schecter are pretty much charging you the installing price on top of the original Custom. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014