Synyster Gates Custom Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 11/22/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Synyster Gates Custom
The signature Synyster inlays on the neck and the silver strips on the body of the guitar give you a shocking new look that is sure to turn heads!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 9.1
 8.9
 8.7
reviews (13) pictures (4) 207 comments vote for this gear:
Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2007

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: This guitar has 24 jumbo frets which make playing really easy on the left hand (assuming you're a left handed player). The mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard is just a dream to play, it's been cut not too chunky yet not too thin either with a fantastic D curve on it which allows you to get a good grip without limiting movement in any way at all. The shape of the body is very comfortable and the guitar as a whole is well balanced which makes playing while standing a dream. The Floyd Rose bridge makes light work of any trem use and abuse, and you can squeal all the way to the top and dive all the way to the bottom and it will return to perfect tuning every time. The Custom Signature comes with Seymour Duncan Custom Invaders installed, a fantastic pickup which not only fits the look of the guitar but also pumps out a sound worthy of the artist and the guitar. Controls include volume, three way selector and tone control (which has push-pull coil tap built into it). Tuners are Grover which means you have fantastic quality right from the word go. However, as I bought it, it did not come with a hard case and no trem arm was included although I managed to squirrel a trem arm and a soft case for free from the store. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of heavy metal along with a bit of blues and I'm starting to incorporate the occasional bit of shred so this guitar is perfect for my playing style. I play through a Line 6 Spider II, which I know is out dated now but I still love the tonal capabilities of it, and the Syn Custom can sound like a heavenly chorus with the amp on clean, neck pickup selected at half tone and single coil selected. It can also sound like a monster with the bridge pickup, full tone and double coil selected and the amp on full metal setting. The tonal range of the guitar is astounding! I have heard that with the Syn Standard, the pickups can give a low hum sometimes, but I honestly don't get any buzz from the guitar at all, other than the usual amp noise once the volume gets cranked up. I haven't altered the electronics (or the guitar for that matter) in any way, so the factory set up is really good. The coil tap feature is great for letting you get a whole range of sounds from the guitar, whether you want a single coil sound for playing some light Pink Floyd stuff that will give you a bright and sharp sound that can ring through the air. And with the tap giving a full bridge humbucker it's possible to get a wall of sound from the guitar that manages to be full and punchy without wandering into the thick and muddy category. The guitar is very clean with its sound no matter how much distortion I pile on to the amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I found the action to be very satisfactory, it's perfect for my playing anyway and I haven't had to alter it in any way at all. In fact, I haven't had to alter one single thing with the guitar apart from putting it into drop D tuning (as it came in Standard). The locking trem system came perfectly set up and played like a dream from the first second I picked it up. The pickups are really well adjusted, not too low that any volume or power is lost, but not too high that the strings start popping onto the magnets when you start abusing that trem. The bridge gap is well routed, I had to give it a little clean as it was a little dusty, but that was maybe me just being picky. But there were no sharp edges, all was well finished. The body in general was in good condition with no flaws on it. It was in need of a polish due to dust and some handling marks on it, but apart from that, no problems at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing. The body isn't too heavy at all despite what I've heard about mahogany body guitars. The Floyd Rose will definitely withstand the abuse of regular dive bombs etc. My main concern lies with the strap buttons. They are real good, don't get me wrong, but I'm used to my screw-on iron cross strap buttons on my SG that I had custom fitted and I'm concerned about the strap possibly popping off, thinking about investing in some form of strap lock. I've only recently bought the guitar but even at that, I would still trust this as my only guitar at a gig, based on looks, sound, everything, the works. And the varnished surface is completely smooth, it's been done to perfection. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for the metal music that I play, the sound, feel, look, everything all matches up perfectly. I've been playing for a couple of years now, and I've played a Crafter cruiser, G2 X300 and a Vintage SG, the Vintage SG being my favourite after many modifications, and I believe that this guitar is the end of my Quest for my perfect guitar. I tried a couple of other guitars before buying this, from the Dime Razor, to the Ibanez Jem, and eve the Santana PRS, and finally settled on this guitar for it's sheer brilliance. If it were stolen from me, then I would definitely replace it with the same guitar, nothing else. I love everything about it, from the fancy neck inlays, to the body artwork, to the headstock artwork, to the feel, the playability, the usability, eveyrhting, and the only thing I would even come close to faulting is the strap buttons which I'm working on getting sorted. Just wish I had a hard case for it! Currently using my bass guitar bag as it has more room for that cheeky wee spike! // 10

Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: JustRooster, on november 25, 2011

Purchased from: Shecter

Features: This is a set neck mahogany guitar like we're used to seeing from Schecter, although with a body shape we're not. The Synyster Custom is the upper class of the two signature guitars of Synyster Gates, a guitar player in Avenged Sevenfold. The first thing that really captures your attention, of course, is the crazy body shape, followed by the pinstripes and headstock. I'm not usually a fan of crazy shapes, but this one's pretty alright in my opinion. The one thing I couldn't get over, though, is the incredibly tacky headstock shape. It seems lifted from a doodle middle-schooler's notebook next to the Metallica logo in pencil. The hardware aspect makes as promising case with signature Invaders from Seymour Duncan and the Original Floyd Rose. There are separate tone controls for each humbucker with a master volume knob as well. I wasn't necessarily a fan of the placement of the three-way switch, but that's personal preference. The fretboard is a 14" radius Ebony with 24 Jumbo frets and "REV" inlays. I was a bit disappointed that we only got 18:1 Grover tuners instead of locking tuners. For a $1, 000+ guitar that's not even Japanese made, I'd expect a bit more in the hardware details. // 7

Sound: The first amp I plugged this guitar into was a Peavey 6505+ with a TS9 Tubescreamer providing some extra gain. The Invaders did exactly what they were supposed to. The gain was crisp, the response was spot on, and the attack and presence were powerful. It sounded great for Hard Rock and metal!... ...And that was it. After that I tested out the cleans on a Fender Deluxe 65'. The cleans were clear, but they weren't very full or articulated. Things beefed up a bit on the neck pickup, but at the sacrifice of clarity. After a big of EQing I was able to get a decent sound out of them, but nothing I would play on a record or at a show. The last amp I tried was a Vox VT30 to test how it sounded through a beginner-ish amp. Again, with high gain I was able to get a nice and crunchy sound, but after I rolled the gain off the high output of the pickups tended to make things ratty and tinny. I'd give the metal tone a 9, but all else a 4. I'll split the difference and put 6 as the rating, however. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This where I had my biggest issues. I've always felt rather comfortable with Schecter necks, but this one irked me. I'm not sure if the one I played was just a mistake on the cutting press, but the neck was decidedly chunkier feeling than any of the C-1 Hellraisers we had in store. The 25.5" scale and Jumbo frets married well, but I still couldn't get over the shape of the neck. However, the biggest problem with the neck was the lacquer. The pained portion of the neck itself is incredibly sticky. After any customer plays it, I find myself walking over to it with a rag to wipe all the grease that gets left behind. Normally lacquer doesn't bother me, but the grip that this neck has on the backside is a bit too much for me to ignore. Also, the ends of the frets were unfinished. I snagged my palm on the 13th fret quite often. The Floyd Rose is an OFR, so it's rock solid as expected. No comments there other than awesome! The hardware felt solid and secured. I also really dug the upper fret access. The heel cutaway as done very well. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I can't really comment too much on this, because it's a shop guitar. What I will say is that I almost never have to re-tune it after customers get their hands on it all day. The OFR is a very quality tremolo. We've had it a few months and our younger customers really dig on it. I've yet to have to change a string or resolder the jack from basic abuse. My only complaint is that the Polyester finish picks up fingerprints and dust like none other! // 8

Overall Impression: The specs seem great, but the fact of the matter is that this is a Korean made guitar with a huge price tag. It's got the looks, but I don't think it really walks the walk for anything outside of metal. It's a very limited guitar, and the quality control on that neck is something that I just cannot look past. We've got 2 of these in store, and they're both the same. Personally, I think it's a marketing thing. Avenged Sevenfold fans will buy the guitar if it plays like a dream or a 2x4. Simply for that, they get away with the awfully high price tag for the low quality paint, wood, tuners, and QC. // 5

Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: Tonyborbony, on march 04, 2011

Purchased from: Sounds Great Music

Features: I have the Black w/ Red pinstripes 2010 Limited Edition. It's built in South Korea in 2010. I'll list the features for you guys: Body: Mahogany Neck: Set neck w/ Ultra acces, 3-pc mahogany Scale: 25.5" Finger Board: Ebony Frets: 24X Jumbo Inlays: "SYN" on frets 5, 7 and 9, Deathbat on the 12th. Bindings: Black Tuners: Grover Pickups: Seymour Duncan Custom Invaders (Passive) Electronics: Volume, Tone (Push/Pull for Humbucking and Single Coil), 3-way switch Bridge: Original Floyd Rose Hardware: Black The store sold it for 999 without the case, 1099 with the case. The case came with the keys to lock it. 9/10 because I don't hate nor love the Floyd Rose. // 9

Sound: I mostly play Metallica, Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Slayer, Bullet for My Valentine, that kinda stuff, and this guitar is great for all of that! But it's also great if you want a less aggressive tone for Classic Rock. I'm running it through a Marshall AVT50X and a Boss ML-2 pedal. I haven't used it without the pedal but I'm sure it'll sound great with just the built-in distortion on my amp. I get zero humming when I'm not playing, though, when I have it on distortion with the Bridge pickup selected I get some feedback, but I personally love it, may be a drawback for some people though. It has quite high output so luckily my neighbours are awesome people. On clean with the neck pickup it has a nice warm sound, on the Bridge pickup it's a little bit more bright and crispy. Once you pull the tone knob to split the pickups it sounds really really bright. But the distortion is where this guitar shines! It has such an amazing sound, I was blown away by it the moment I started playing. It's very aggressive and sounds kinda dirty actually, which I absolutely love! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was fantastic! It was perfect for my style the moment it came out of the box. There was only one flaw though, there was a slight lacquer chip on the back side near the input socket. But the store notified me of this and gave me a 50 discount. It's not noticable if you don't know it's there. Other than that the set-up was perfect! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will definitely withstand live playing! Everything seems durable and sturdy. I switched out the original strap buttons for Dunlop Straplocks like I always do with a new guitar. I think I could definitely depend on it without backup. But I'll always take another guitar with me because I'm paranoid like that. The finish is great and will last for a lifetime it seems. Also another thing that impressed me was how well it stayed in tune. It has been though warm and cold weather when it got shipped and it was in tune perfectly when I opened the box. // 10

Overall Impression: Before buying this one I was considering buying the Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6, but something about this guitar made me change my mind. It's some kind of magic I guess. I'm not normally a fan of buying an artists signature series guitar, but this one just called out to me. If this one got stolen heads are gonna roll, it's my baby! I would consider buying a new one, but due to the price it'd be a very difficult decision. The only thing I don't really like is the Floyd Rose, but I also like doing divebombs and other crazy trem stuff so that won't bother me. Setting up after tuning it to Drop C or something will be a bitch though. So other than the Floyd Rose and the lacquer chip it's a perfect guitar! I see no reason not to get it besides the price and the fact that it's a Signature Series guitar. // 10

Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: sarcasm6391, on february 08, 2008

Features: This guitar features 24 jumbo frets, Seymour Duncan custom invaders, double locking original flyod rose trem. coil taps. A 3-way Switch, grover tuners, ebony fingerboard, mahogany body, a volume and a tone knob. Special "syn touches". It was crafted in korea and is a truely quality guitar. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my music accordingly, I play mostly heavy rock, and punk rock, and random soloing, this guitar can do it all. I use a Line 6 POD X3 Live and a Marshall TSL 100 with this guitar and it gives you any sound you want, in the middle position with the coils tapped, this is the most "pretty" sounding clean I've ever heard, and when the coils aren't being tapped, it gives you a real bright sound distorted, in any position. it's not noisy at all due to humbuckers. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was fine set up from the factory, the action was set perfect for soloing, the pickups where adjusted fine. When I got my guitar, everything was neat and perfect, except I had a knick in the very top of the headstock due too. Who knows? and my tone knob is a little bit looser than the volume knob. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can definitly withstand being played live, it always is in tune, the hardware can't oxidize because it's not exposed metal, the strap buttons are solidly set and haven't loosened on me, haven had it for over a year, I would use it without a backup, simply because I don't have a backup. The finish is there to last, playing it as much as I have with the time I've had it. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for the rock I play, the style and paint job of the guitar turns heads everywhere and everyone says it's awesome. I'm 16 and I've been playing since december of like 2005 and the only gear I own is a POD X3 Live, my Marshall stack, AKG guitar bug wireless system, and a Rouge acoutic that came with the wireless. If it were stolen, I'd be super pissed, I would definitly but it again because it feels great sitting in your lap or standing up, it plays great, and if it's good enough for synyster to write his albums with, it's good enough for me. I would buy it again if I had the money. I love pickups and the number of frets and I love the tremelo, except I didn't know previous to buying this guitar, that with a tremelo, if you change the tuning of one string, it changes every other sting, which makes tuning from E to D difficult for Standard to dropped D. I compared this product to ESP's KH602, they where in the same price range, but the only real difference I looked over was the pickups, it uses EMG's and although that's a more agressive pickup, the style of this guitar beat out the KH602. This guitar has everything I need, so I do not wish it had anything else. Bottom line, if you have $900, buy this guitar and you'll love yourself. // 9

Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: Heavy Metal Syn, on july 04, 2008

Price paid: € 1000

Purchased from: Schecter

Features: This guitar has got 24 Jumbo Frets, it's a dream for shredding and sweep picking! The mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard is just a dream to play, with an amazing D curve on it which allows you to get a good grip and allows great pleasure playing. The shape of the body is based on the Avenger, very comfortable and the guitar is well balanced playing while Sitting or standing. The Licensed Floyd Rose bridge is just brilliant, and you can go all the way to the top and dive all the way to the bottom and it will always remain to perfect tuning (Compared to my Crafter Cruiser St-120). The Custom Signature Model comes with Seymour Duncan Custom Invaders, a Heavenly pickup which not only looks Brilliant on the Guitar but Unleashes a sound that would make anyone think you were actually Synyster Gates himself. The Controls have a volume, three way selector and tone control which has push-pull coil tap System that give unbelievable performance. Grover Tuning which means you have a fantastic system right for those long gigs! I bought a case, leather strap and extra strings for this from Schecter too, My advice is to get the case because you will treasure this once playing it! // 10

Sound: I aminly play a lot of heavy metal and shredding so this guitar is perfect for my playing style, I play a bit of the blues too and it's brilliant for that too. I use a Fender FM 212 DSP amp and I can get a sweet metal tone and I can produce that Avenged Sevenfold sound too! The Syn Custom can produce a heavenly sound with the amp on clean with single coil selected. It can also sound like a Demon on the bridge pickup, full tone and double coil selected and the amp on full metal setting. The tone capabilities of the guitar is astounding! I haven't altered the guitar in any way, so the factory set up is really good. The coil tap feature is brilliant, you get a whole range of sounds from the guitar, whether you want a single coil sound for playing some light stuff that will give you a bright and sharp sound that can ring throughout the place. And with the tap giving a full bridge humbucker it's possible to get a brilliant sound from the guitar that manages to be full and strong without wandering into the messy and rough category. The guitar is very clean with it's sound no matter how much distortion you may select! This is just perfect, you couldn't beat this! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I found the action to be perfectly set-up, it's perfect for my playing and techniques, it's brilliant in Standard or Drop D tuning. The locking tremolo system came perfect and played like a dream from the second it was placed in my hands. The pickups are brilliantly adjusted, not so low that any volume or power is lost giving great strength, but not so high that the strings start hitting the magnets when you start preforming Dive Bombs that tremolo. The bridge gap is well done, it was all a good finish. The lock nut at the end of the neck keeps it in perfect and brilliant tune! The body in general was in Brilliant condition, I could not fault it in anyway. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live playing. The body isn't too heavy at all despite what I've experienced with mahogany body guitars. The hardware is hard and tough, I have complete Faith in this guitar reliability, I solidly believe that this will be passed onto my first son! The Floyd Rose will withstand the abuse of dive bombs and keep it in perfect tuning. The Strap Buttons are perfectly solid I recently bought the guitar but even at that, I would still trust this as my main guitar at a gig, based on the look, sound, performance, the whole lot and the varnished surface is completely smooth and give a Shine that will turn heads, it's been done to complete perfection. // 10

Overall Impression: I did research on my next and perfect guitar and this was the one! What can I say, it's brilliant for Metal and Hard Rock, Heavenly for Shredding and Sweep picking! The Sound is unbelievable, it just cannot be faulted, it's perfect! I've been playing for over a year now, I have got a Crafter Cruiser ST-120, a SX Les Paul and a Westfield Les Paul, I've studied a lot on music and guitar and I have gained great experience but this was a great boost to that and I have gained great skills from it all! What I would have asked? How did you make such a brilliant guitar? I'm so pleased with this guitar, never been as pleased with an instrument! If it was stolen I would kill the bastard Who did it and get another one (I even got insurance on it) I love the guitar, everything about it, I know it was pricey but it was worth it and my advice is spend the extra money for this model, it's worth it! I don't hate anything in this behemoth, I only hate those Who don't give it a chance! Like I said earlier, I did some research and I compared it to Deans, Fenders, ESP's, Gibsons etc and it suited me more because of it's features and performance! it's a heavenly piece of work! // 10

Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: elektrikheat, on march 29, 2010

Price paid: C$ 700

Purchased from: eBay

Features: The Schecter Synyster Custom features 24 X-Jumbo frets, with special gothic cross inlays, as well as "SYN" and the deathbat at the 12th. Mine I believe, was made in Indonesia unlike the more prevelant Korean ones that've been reviewed. The neck's a 3-pc mahogany and is a 25.5" scale. The body itself is made of Mahogany, and the fretboard of Ebony, giving it that metal sound that alot of you are looking at. The body of the guitar is almost exactly like a Schecter Hellraiser, the only difference being the headstock, which features Synyster Gates' clothing line logo with the skull and top hat. The Bridge is an ORIGINAL Floyd Rose and definitely holds its tuning while letting you bend in either direction without losing it's tuning. The guitar also features passive Seymour Duncan (Custom) Invaders which despite what many people say, actually sounds decent in this guitar, however I might replace my neck pickup with a Fernandes Sustainer in the future. Extra features include a Volume knob, Tone knob with coil tap as well as Grover tuners. All in all, for what I paid for, it came with alot. // 10

Sound: Currently, I'm alot into punk, metal, alternative and just getting into progressive at the moment. So far, it's definitely suited all my needs, especially with all the modelling options from my Line 6 Spider II 150. There's no fret buzz whatsoever except for that hum the amplifier gives out when it's on a really high volume. The single coil options give nice clean and sometimes even blue-sy tones if you wanted it to, however with both pickups engaged on double coil, the guitar gives out a very powerful sound. The tonal range on the guitar is absolutely Stellar and for what you pay for, it's definitely work it without the need to modify it. All in all, pretty solid. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Despite being new and unopened, I had low expectations from buying it off ebay. When it came in, I opened a box to a super low action causing string buzz whenever you hit a note. On the other hand, the pickups were adjusted just fine. The bridge definitely needed some adjustment as it was actually off center and cutting it's way into the body. There were a few other flaws such as a few aesthetic bumps or nicks in the neck and body, but all in all, it doesn't affect the performance in any way. In the end, I had to get it professionally set up. // 6

Reliability & Durability: After getting this guitar fixed, it definitely can withstand live playing. This guitar's a tank, always staying in tune, and the metal won't oxidize since it's not exposed. All the knobs and tuners are in fine shape, and the strap buttons are pretty solid despite stories I've heard of them falling out. The Floyd Rose'll definitely help out if you can maintain and know how to use it. I've used it a couple times without a backup and feel pretty confident with it, despite it being an artist model, it's one that is definitely worth playing and it'll catch sight of many. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar was definitely worth its value. I've tried a bunch of Schecters and loved them all but decided to land on this one, just because it was cheaper than the list price of $1,000 USD, despite having to fix a few things up. I used to play alot more punk and alternative with my Mexican Fender Stratocaster, I knew that I'd need something more heavy as I progressed into metal and all its subgenres. I'm 16 right now and have been playing for about 4.5 years, all self-taught. If this guitar was stolen/lost (how could you lose a guitar?) I'd definitely would have to pick another one up if I could afford it again, it's the sound that you'd expect from Synyster Gates, but again, can also be so diverse. I definitely love the deathbat inlay and the pinstripes on the body, however I do realize as I move on in music, I won't appreciate it as much, but I'm not one to really care about the aesthetic features as opposed to the sound. There's not really much to hate about this guitar though (not being biased,) unless you prefer the sound of active pickups such as EMGs. Again, I've compared the Synyster Custom to a bunch of ESPs, Deans, and other Schecters, and this one seemed the most bang for your buck, especially at the price I got it at. In conclusion, I'm definitely satisfied, however I'm going to give it an 8 for the damage I recieved when I got it initially. // 8

Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: cman120, on january 17, 2011

Purchased from: american musical

Features: This guitar is awesome I got the white and gold one for christmas. It has 24 xj frets, neck-thru body and a Floyd Rose locking tremolo. It has a push pull coil tap on the tone no. It is a very nice guitar. // 10

Sound: Like I said it looks awesome, but that doesn't matter if it doesn't sound cool. This guitars sound is amazing, almost like you could tear the world apart with its awesome sound. I play it through I Marshall MA100 halfstack with a crybaby wah. It has two custom Seymour Duncan invaders. The pickups have been modified for synyster gates sound. The highs are high and the lows are low. What I really love is that I play everything from A7X, Metallica, guns n roses, and Jimi hendrix. It has an excellent range. The invaders have a great heavy tone when its distorted, but with the coil tap you can play hendrix, srv, or anything on the lighter side. This guitar can play any music imaginable. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I picked up the guitar out of the case everything was set up very well. The action is a little on the lower side. The paint job on this is amazing the pinstripes are badass and the headstock looks like you could beat the crap out of someone with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can't really speak for it on this because I have only had it for a couple of weeks. But I have played every day since I have had it and it stays in tune very well. But from what I have heard it will stand up very well for live gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for any style of music. It has awesome looks and great hardware. I played some very exspensive guitars, hehem les pauls and I thought this sounded better than a les paul. This guitar has everything you could want out of a guitar. If I could only have one guitar I would take this one because it can play anything. If you have the money even if you don't like a7x you should definetley get this guitar. // 10

Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: a7xfanboy123, on july 07, 2011

Features: This guitar is a mahogany body, Black W/ white stripes(Great Killer Looks!), 24 Frets, this bad boy is shaped like an Avenger, but has a devil headstock (more Killer looks), this has a Floyd Original tremelo,and last this guitar comes packed with one of the greatest Seymour Duncan pickups ever made. The pickups are Duncan Invaders, but Custom. These produce one of the sickest sounds perfect for metal and it also provides an excellent clean sound. // 10

Sound: Suits me in every way! Of course I play Avenged, so this guitar was perfect! I use a Yamaha Amp and this baby sounds great. Not noisy at all, little feedback, great sounding through distortion and clean. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up really nice. No flaws at all. Just put this in drop D tuning and you're good to go! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Plays excellent live in front of people. Hardware well last no matter what. I can depend on it forever! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a Synyster guitar. Perfect for Avenged Sevenfold rockers out there. Sound is great, quality is great, the color is great, and most of all the reliablity is great. You will not hate this guitar. This guitar is probably one of the cheapest Signature Guitars I've ever seen and Syn really made it stand out from other signature guitars. Plus it's available in 3 colors Black W/ White stripes, Black W/ Red Stripes, and White W/ Gold Stripes. But the Black W/ Red stripes and White W/ Gold are limited. // 10

Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: rr1harpoonv, on august 10, 2011

Purchased from: guitarcenter

Features: I have the black/silver model made in Indonesia I bought it 2 years ago and have loved it ever since. Its got 24 reachable frets on an ebony fretboard and this guitar is solid as solid could be. Guitars don't get much heavier than this one which could be a downer for some people but I love a good workout. I have started using titanium Ernie Ball strings on it because I hate to change strings and the titanium last 5 times as long easy so I have had the same strings on for months now and the floyd still hasn't gone out of tune. It has custume invader pickups with a master tone and master volume with a 3way Switch with a coil split on push/pull on the tone knob. // 8

Sound: When I got the guitar I was playing mostly metal(mainly originals but some covers of Ozzy, A7X (couldn't help it), Megadeth, Metallica etc. Which it worked very well for but now I'm playing more hard rock and even though I love how it plays... I can't stand the amount of low end. I don't think this guitar has much versatility at all... Just play what it was made for (hard hitting heavy metal). I play throught a 100w Marshal Vintage/Modern halfstack my main pedals include Zakk Wylde Wah Wah (handles great in heavy gain), Tone Bone HOT British and an Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I purchased the guitar there wasn't a scratch or dent on it. The action was what made me love it so much not to mention the neck joint is more comfortable than my kingsize bed. I didn't even have to adjust the flood. When I took it home it was good to go. However I did change the buttons to Dunlop strap locks. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've giged with this guitar a hundred times and it will last for a thousand more. There isnt a damn thing I don't trust on this thing whether it be the Floyd Rose or the input jack. This thing is solid! However I did change the buttons to Dunlop strap locks. // 9

Overall Impression: For playing any heavey metal do not look any further that's what this guitar does and that's were it belongs. I also own two Jackson RR3s, a Mexican Fender Strat, Agile doubleneck, and just recently a Burny super grade and besides the Burny its my favorite guitar to play. I do wish it had a pick up with slightly less bass because there is more beef to this guitar then I ever needed for hard rock/rock so my suggestion is keep it for metal or change the pickups... Thinking about putting in Gibson 57 Classic plus pickups or Bill Lawrence XL500s. Not sure if I want to keep it for metal... Ohh well hope this helped. // 8

Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: snshami, on november 22, 2012

Purchased from: usedinstrumentwarehouse on Ebay

Features: This guitar is made in September of 2011 and is made in Korea where all the high end Diamond Series Schecters come from. I had observed this now for a while but it really hit home with this guitar how far Korea has come. I would have no hestitation considering Korea as have guitar making capability equal to the best Japanese or US factories. Of course you can have a bad guitar made anywhere but in general their skill level is really up there. I would rate this 12 if I could. Anyway this guitar is a solid mahogany with a through neck design. The guitar is made in three pieces and is painted in a solid black paint with red stripes on the front. The guitar is basically three pieces with the neck the central piece. The body style is the Schecter Avenger which is like an italicised RG. The body is definitely wider at the horns than a Strat and will not fit in a Strat case whether it is hard or soft. The fretboard is the darkest and finest grained Ebony I have seen and has beautifully white mother of pearl inlays. The frets are superjumbo and the neck is 21mm thick and 42mm wide at the first fret which makes it slightly slimmer than the modern neck of a Fender Strat. The radius is 400mm and opens up to a very comfortable 58mm wide at the body which helps enormously with any fast soloing. The supplied strings are Ernie Ball 10-46. The tuners are beautiful Grovers with an 1-18 ratio. The neck has the shape of a devils head not too dissimilar to a BC Rich Warlock head but smoother. The tremolo is a black Original Floyd Rose. The pickups are Custom Seymour Duncan Invaders (SH-8). The Custom part comes from the massive chrome pole pieces that look like large Allen bolts. The neck pickup has about half the ohm rating of the bridge pickup. Both the neck and the bridge pickup can be split. // 10

Sound: I use the guitar with two amps, Jet City 2112RC and an Ibanez TSA 15C. I had heard lots of opinions on the internet about how the Invader pickups had only one type of sound and how the were only suited to metal and that their output was too muddy. Of the guitar I had heard some people say similar things that its sound was very loud, high gain and ultimately mainly suited to metal. I can tell you without any Shadow of a doubt that those opinions are I'll formed and should not be relied on. Pickups can never be viewed in isolation of the circuit they are built into, their placement on a guitar and on the rest of the configuration of the guitar, its tonewood and other things. Many people it seemed had only ever bought the bridge pickup and stuck it in a Fender and had declared it too bassy. The fact of the matter is that this guitar and pickup combination has six broad settings. They range from really heavy overdriven sound that will melt the wax in your ears to a rich clean sound that is to die for. The dirty sounds were still clearly articulated and probably the nicest overdriven sound I have ever heard come out of that amp. I actually managed to get the clean sounds from the same gainy Jet City that I got the huge overdriven sound on. The clean I got by splitting the neck pickup. I didn't even have to roll back the volume. On the Ibanez I didn't even have to split the neck pickup to get a nice rich clean acoustic style sound ideal for finger picking.I would easily rate this 12 if I could. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was a used mint guitar that looked like it had been a shop demo. I had it delivered from the US to Australia via UPS and the seller had backed the strings right off so I had to set the guitar up. The setup took less than four minutes and then another four minutes before I had adjusted it to the low action I am used to which is about 1.1mm (slightly less than 3/64") and 1.5mm (slightly under 1/16") at the high E string on the 12th fret. The guitar now works beautifully with no buzz. The pickups are perfect and the fretwire is the best of any guitar I own. The nut, the tuning pegs, everything was close to flawless. The neck had a high gloss finish which I waxed with Tech Wax and it now feels nice and smooth. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will without a Shadow of a doubt withstand live playing. Its got the best hardware money can buy. You cannot get better than an Original Floyd. I am not a professional guitarist but if I was I would have a few guitars as backups in case of an accident but I would find this as dependable as a Jem or an American Strat or Gibson Les Paul. The finish seems a little on the brittle side and it has some tiny marks. The finish does not seem to have the same level of durability as a Fender has. However the rest is totally Bullet proof. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all types of music from Pink Floyd to solos from you name it. I still consider myself a relative beginner. I have been playing for three years now and only just gotten to the level where I am no longer ashamed of showing other people. My end goal is to be able to play inspirational solos and entertain myself and friends. I have a Schecter Omen Extreme, a Fender Blacktop as well as a Squier Classic Vibe. I love all my other guitars and especially the Classic Vibe. This guitar is another one that I feel is special in its own way and one that I will never part with. I have played with lots of high end guitars such as Custom American Strat, a Gibson Les Paul, a Jem 7V and a PRS and I would not hesitate to place this guitar in that upper echelon of professional level instruments. I even love the paint job, even though it is rather loud. The funny thing is that the first thing my 15 year old daughter said "That is the fuggliest guitar I have ever seen, take it away...". My son said just the opposite. He thought it was the coolest guitar he had ever seen and I tend to agree with him. I am totally in love with this guitar.

// 10

Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: guitar tab hero, on january 26, 2009

Price paid: C$ 1000

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This guitar was crafted in Korea. It has 24 jumbo fret (witch makes it easy to shred). It has a 25.5" scale and a mahogany body. The neck is also mahogany and the fretboard is ebony witch gives it a deep, thick heavy sound. The neck profile is the same as the SG. The frets are pearl and have "syn" gothic crosses and the death bat on it. The ebony is very attractive and has no cracks or holes in it like rosewood has. The neck is set in and the cutaway allows EASY access to EVERY fret on the guitar. This guitar comes with 2 Seymour Duncan custom invaders. It has GREAT grover tuners, one volume, one tone knob and coil tap. for those Who don't know what coil tap is it splits your humbucker pickup and only activates one side so it acts as a single coil pickup. The finish is beautiful. A great black color with silver stripes. It also has Floyd Rose tremolo and Floyd Rose Locking nuts. No matter how many times you play with the Floyd the string will ALWAYS stay in tune. With this guitar you wont need to tune it every time you pick it up(if you just stay in one tune). But because it has a floating bridge tuning to different tunings can be a hassle. for different tunings from Standard to drop tunings you have to use different gauge strings and/or more or less springs in the back. And once you tune you have to go over it all again so all strings are in tune because the tension will be different.The shape is beautiful but it makes it hard to find a soft case for it. // 8

Sound: This is great for everything. From soft to really heavy music... it can handle it all. You can crank up the distortion and it will still give you a great sound. The invaders give you LOADS of tone. There is almost no noise from it. It is very quiet. Only thing I don't like on sound is that the pickups are the same. When you Switch from neck to bridge or bridge to neck there is almost no difference in sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar is set up amazing. No adjustments were required. Ready right out of the box. The finish is not that great around the Floyd Rose bridge. The paint has some empty spaces. The action is amazing.The neck is also super fast and smooth. The neck is set in and makes it easy to access all frets. The curve on the back of the guitar makes it VERY comfortable to sit down and play. Standing is also very comfortable. This guitar plays better than some $10, 000 guitars I have tried. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The hardware is solid. it will last a long time. it's quite heavy, and thick. The body is very strong and so is the neck even though it is long and set in.With this guitar you will never need a backup guitar for a Live show. You can drop this guitar 50 feet in the air and it will still be in perfect... I do not recommend that... what I said is probably not true... but it would be cool. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar plays like a dream. The way the neck is set in is great. It cups your hand and fits in so perfectly. The neck plays really smooth. I also like the fine tuners. once you tune your guitar and lock the tune in with the Floyd Rose locking nuts you can make small changes to your tune with the fine tuners. // 9

Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: gamerdemon465, on august 26, 2011

Purchased from: musicians friend

Features: Well I got the Synyster Custom for one thousand us. Since then the price has went up to 1, 250. Honestly, I would pay that much for it. It is the best guitar I have ever played. It was made in South Korea. Now if you know anything about Synyster Gates, You know how much he goes off! It has 24 frets he uses to shred. The finish is black with silver pin stripes. It has a floyd rose to hit all the divebombs, a smitch, volume, and tone knob. Seymour Duncan pickups, The fretboard locks, with grover tuners. The only thing I did not like is that it didn't come with anything. Though you can probably spend an extra 20 dollars on a strap. Okay now that I have gone over the list, I can tell you how I really feel. There is nothing you can't do with this guitar. You shold really get it! // 10

Sound: It is perfect for my music style, metal. I don't have a amp and it sounds perfect without effects. It has an amazing sound that you don't have to change. And a insane variety of sounds! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It WILL NOT BREAK! The pickups come good, Everyhthing lined up. And not even any flaws! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes, Yes, YES! It is all good! Godly even! // 10

Overall Impression: Metal and yes. Since before I got it and none. No I would buy it again in a heartbeat, I love EVERYTHING! // 10

Synyster Gates Custom Reviewed by: adrielchng, on november 30, 2011

Purchased from: Davis Guitars

Features: It has a floyd rose 1000 which pretty much does the same job that a totally original made in germany floyd would. The grover tuners are definitely trustable and has a 18:1 tuning ratio which allows for very accurate tuning, however, its a pain in the ass to restring the floyd of course, and the 18:1 ratio doesnt't help either. Mine is the limited edition white with gold version though. Apart from the floyd, the paintjob has a very tiny uneven distribution that is really hard to spot, thus its quite alright! It does not have a contoured body but it does not matter to me, the upper horn is large, but does not get in the way for me. // 8

Sound: The pickups provide seriously high output and this really helps with the hammer ons and pull offs. The humbuckers have NO buzz even when I'm at a full metal setting. Also, a coil tap feature is also on the guitar. It gives quite a low tone I'd say, but with the tone knob on full, it gives a very crisp sound. I play metal and rock, thus, the guitar is usually at its best, on distortion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly with very low action and it had no fret buzz at all. The pickups are at a just right height for me. No extra setting up was needed! But as I said earlier, there was a blemish on the finish. The gold and white finish is magnificent and I personally think it looks beautiful. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It seems to be a very solid and hardy guitar, I have never knocked it though, not for me to say for now. I will be changing the strap button to Schaller strap locks. As for the gold hardware, it will definitely rust faster than ordinary ones. I have not taken it for a gig before but I definitely will. // 7

Overall Impression: It totally suits me more than my other guitars as the fretboard is ebony and I just love the Floyd, although I kinda agree that it is kinda under utilized (the Floyd). I own 3 other guitars and this guitar has the most narrow neck I have ever played. The neck is kinda thick compared to Ibanez ones but it does benefit the sustain, the inlays are beautiful, but if you hate the feeling of plastic under your fingers, better not go for it. I love it very much and enjoy taking care of it like oiling and wiping, polishing the frets etc. I would not buy it again though, as I would rather save for a PRS. I'd say its the best guitar I've ever played so far, If Synyster Gates loves it, there's definitely potential and quality to it! // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.8 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014