Synyster Gates Special Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 08/26/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Synyster Gates Special
This guitar pretty much has the same technical specs as the Synyster Gates Custom, but it looks much nicer in my opinion. Overall it's great, it feels amazing to play, it's one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen and it sounds perfect. Even if you're not an Avenged Sevenfold fan, it's still a great guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 8.7
 9.4
 7.9
reviews (2) pictures (2) 26 comments vote for this gear:
Synyster Gates Special Reviewed by: monkey372, on may 31, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Centre

Features: This guitar pretty much has the same technical specs as the Synyster Gates Custom, but it looks much nicer in my opinion, I think the gloss black finish, white binding, black chrome hardware and gothic cross inlays look better than the stripes and everything. It has 24 frets on an ebony fretboard, which looks and feels great. The bridge is a floyd rose 1000 series bridge, my friend has an original and it feels just as good as that. The pickups are great, Seymour Duncan Invaders, they are very high output with lots of bass, great for rock and metal. They are hooked up to 1 volume and 1 tone knob with coil tap and a 3 way switch, I would prefer separate knobs for each pickup but it's no big deal. Apart from that it's great, no problems. // 9

Sound: I'm just running it through a tiny Line 6 Spider IV 15w at the moment (getting a better amp when I have money), it doesn't really do it justice but it still makes a great sound. Like I said, the pickups are great for rock and metal because of the high output. The bridge is great for rhythm because it has loads of low end power but still a bright tone. The neck pickup is perfect for soloing and gives a great, bassy sound for playing clean things. The pickups can be coil tapped which gives a good variety of clean sounds, especially when trying to replicate a Strat type sound. You can play just about anything from classic rock, to the heaviest of metal with this guitar, it's perfect for me. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar it was set up just about perfectly, as I hear most Schecter guitars are. I lowered the action slightly to suit my playing style, and it plays great. The black finish looks great, especially with the black chrome hardware and white binding. The only problem I have is the gloss black makes scratches show up more, so it can only be polished with a very soft cloth, otherwise it gets covered in fine scratches. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it that long and haven't gigged with it at all, but so far it's showing no signs of wear or anything. I've bashed it on things quite a few times but I can't see any dints anywhere. When I got it the bottom strap button was slightly loose, but I tightened the screw and it's stayed fine ever since. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall it's great, it feels amazing to play, it's one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen and it sounds perfect. It would be cool if they offered one with a sustainer pickup, but I could always get one installed if I wanted it that bad. I would definitely recommend it because it plays just as well as a Synyster Custom but it doesn't look like Synyster Gates' signature guitar, so people don't see it and say "Hey, that's Syn's guitar", they say "Hey, YOUR guitar is great". So if you're thinking of getting the custom, I would recommend getting this instead. Even if you're not an Avenged Sevenfold fan, it's still a great guitar. // 10

Synyster Gates Special Reviewed by: highgear, on august 26, 2013

Purchased from: Zzounds

Features: First off, Zzounds has been good to deal with so far on there pay as you play. Onto the guitar now. Its an Avenger style body. If your unfamiliar its like a melted strat. It has a mahogany body, three piece mahogany set neck, ebony fretboard, and "devil horns" three on a side headstock. It has a Floyd Rose and comes with allen wrenches and springs for adjustments. It has two Seymour Duncan Invader humbuckers. There is a 3 way toggle switch for pick up selection, 1 volume knob and 1 tone/coil tap knob. I believe it is only available in gloss black with white bindings. // 9

Sound: I play whatever I feel like. Not a pro by any means, more of a song writing hobbyist. I play through a DigiTech RP70 and a Marshall MG10. Maybe not the best, but its enough for my semi truck. The guitar sounds great to me. I previously played a Chinese knock off strat, in comparison the tone is amazing. It really seems to Shine in pop/punk fusion. The tone knob has a decent effect. The pick ups are very sensitive. Really lets me take full advantage of my effects such as phasers, envelopes, and so on. Really haven't found a use for coil tap yet. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect, for me. No buzz and easy to fret. The gloss black scratches super easy so be careful. It came tuned, ready to play. The only flaw I could find was a tiny indent in one of the inlays. You really need a magnifying glass to see it. All of the nuts, bolts and such where secure and still are. Everything is well done shiny and tight. I would say I got what I expected from an $850 guitar, no set up needed, just put a strap on, plug it in and crank it to 11. The neck is smooth and fast, the frets filed and smooth. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is where it really shines. I Drive truck over the road. I haven't got a case yet. So for 10 hours a day, its bouncing around in my bunk. Stop for the night, still in tune, still tight. I'm very impressed in this area. Between the brake checking, pot holes, temperature changes and constant vibration it is put to the test. And it passes with an A+. No dings or chips. The paint scratches easily. But hey its gonna get a worn look anyways. To me its important to hold tune and hardware to stay tight, it does so with perfection. I can play for hours, slammin the Floyd, bending strings, toss it in the back bounce down the road and its still ready to go. // 10

Overall Impression: When choosing this guitar I had a few requirements. An unconventional shape. This suites me well. Not too radical. An arch top, set neck. A real Floyd, and some neat inlays. Go ahead and look, in the $800 range... I'll wait here. Seriously though, its feature packed for its price. Yeah I could have gotten a LP or something, even maybe an esp, for the price they don't compare. If it was stolen, I'd turn into Liam Neeson I will find you and I will kill you. I'd say my favorite feature is the neck. I'd been playing for a few years and hit kinda dead zone in my ability. This neck suites my hand well and has allowed to to pick up some new sounds. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014