Synyster Gates Standard Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 02/24/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Synyster Gates Standard
The Synyster Standard guitar is the signature guitar for Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold. Synyster made sure this guitar rocks as hard as he does! Features include a Mahogany body, Duncan Designed HB-108 humbuckers, 24 jumbo frets and a Floyd Rose tremolo system.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 9.3
 8.9
 9.4
 8.3
reviews (4) pictures (1) 80 comments vote for this gear:
Synyster Gates Standard Reviewed by: protestthehero8, on december 16, 2006

Features: This is a Brand New guitar from summer of 2006. It is Synyster Gates' pro model from Schecter. It has a mahogany body with a Maple/Rosewood neck, 24 jumbo frets (which is a great feature), floyd rose, Duncan design pickups and all kinds of doodads. Not to mention that it looks great with silver stripes and the death bat and "SYN" on the inlays. // 8

Sound: This guitar has a great sound for heavy metal or hard rock guitar players. I has a great tone and is really good for sustaining. I'm currently using it with a Peavey Bandit 112 amp, so there's only so much it can do, but it sounds great compared to my old guitar. There isn't too much sound from the guitar, mostly from the amp, but when set to the bridge pickup, it makes a low hum. The guitar makes a great distorted sound and the Floyd Rose makes dive bombs and anything with the whammy bar sound fantastic. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action from the factory wasn't great, but yet satisfactory. It still needs to be tuned and set up a little better. The pickups were well adjusted, I was happy with that. Everything else seemed in order and the finish was great. No scratches, dents, or anything. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will most definitely withstand Live playing and any abuse anyone can give to their guitar. It has a great Mahogany body, which makes it very durable; kind of heavy, but still durable. The strap buttons are solid, but like most guitars, will probably come loose eventually. Everything seems like it will last nicely. I just purchased the guitar, so it will take a little while to see what it's all about, but from what I have seen so far, it's a great guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I just love this guitar. I love the sound of it when playing my style of music, which is heavy metal, or anything heavy. I've been playing guitar for almost 6 years now, and this guitar is a great guitar for me to play. If it were to be stolen, I would most definitely buy it again. I strongly recommend this guitar for anyone Who enjoys playing heavy music and loves the sound of dive bombs. // 10

Synyster Gates Standard Reviewed by: Synys7er, on august 25, 2008

Price paid: € 399

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This is the Schecter Synyster Standard. The guitar was made in 2006 and is the signature model of Synyster Gates. It has 24 jumbofrets a mahagony body, rosewood/maple neck which is very thin, a double locking licensed foyd rose tremolo, passive Duncan Designed Hb-108 Humbucker,one volume and tone control(3-way selector) Grover tuners. This guitar looks really great with the sliver stripes and the "SYN" inlays. // 9

Sound: This Guitar is really great if you play rock or metal. The tone is really great and has much sustain. It totally fits my style because I love hard music. I tried other guitar before but this one is so much better. I am using it with a Line 6 spider 30 amp and the guitar has the best sound with it when you play with the bridge pickup. You can do many sounds with the guitar because of that really great Floyd Rose tremolo which makes amazing divebombs. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Action from the factory was great but could have been better(tuned a little bit better). The pickups were well adjusted but were a bit rusty. The guitar had no scratches dents or anything. The pickup selecter makes little noises but that is not upsetting me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: What I can say for now is that - this guitar is made for Live playing! I use this guitar now for 1 year on Live shows and it looks and sounds like new. The strap buttons are very solid,but of course it could be that they come loose some time. With this guitar you don't nedd a backup. I hope the finish will always be that good. // 10

Overall Impression: This Guitar is SO awesome for hard music like hard rock or metal. I love it.The sound that comes out of the guitar is totally what I expected! I would instantly buy it again if it would be stolen. The best Feature of that really great looking guitar is the Floyd Rose Tremolo. Only the Pickups aren't that good, but you could buy better ones and for that low price I paid I can not complain. // 10

Synyster Gates Standard Reviewed by: F e N D e R, on march 02, 2011

Purchased from: Georges Music

Features: The Schecter Synyster Standard guitar was made in 2006 (I think), in China. It has 24 jumbo frets with a comfortable Rosewood fretboard. It also has the Deathbat inlay at the 12th fret which looks awesome. Its Mahogany body gives it a nice full sounding tone, However, this makes it very heavy, heavier than a les paul. The silver stripes on the jet black body makes it look even more sexy. The Floyd Rose Special trem is dependable on in a live situation, it stays in tune tune for ages, even when doing loads of dive-bombs and shit. It comes with Seymour Duncan HB-108 pickups, You get 1 volume control, and 1 Tone control with a 3-way selector switch. Overall, excellent. // 10

Sound: I mainly play Rock, Hard Rock and Metal, and it does all those styles really good. If I'm gonna play anything clean I will often use my Fender Strat, but I recently tried the Synyster on a clean channel, suprisingly it worked quite well. When playing this guitar, I will usually play it through my Marshall MG100DFX, only becuase it has insane amounts of distortion, and this is where the guitar really shines. I tried it through my Fender Super Champ XD for the clean sounds, it wasn't too bad but I wouldn't do it often. I also use a Vox VT40+ which will go good with anything. I usually just use the amps effects and overdrive but I tried it with a DigiTech Death Metal pedal, it seemed to do ok. The guitar has a very nice rich, full sounding tone, perfect for anything from Classic Rock to Death metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have owned the guitar for nearly 3 years now, and the only thing I would complain about is the strap buttons, they have come a bit loose. Other than that everything had been set up well, the neck hasn't moved at all or anything. When I buy a guitar I always adjust the Bridge to my liking, so I did with this one, but there was nothing wrong with it, just my personal preference. Every once in a while the tone knob comes a bit loose, but that just requires a very small alan key, and it doesn't happen often, nothing else is loose, tuners etc. // 9

Reliability & Durability: it is a very solid, hard wearing guitar, it would easily withstand live playing, the Floyd Rose locking trem helps with this. As for gigging without a backup, anyone who does that is an idiot. But this guitar will stay in tune for ever, and you can whammy very hard for ages without the srings snapping. Overall, very reliable. I have used this guitar alot, and it has its wear, but the light scratches are not visible and the silver stripes are fully in tact, no signs of weakness there. It still sounds as good as the day I bought it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar for rock and metal, the pickups are very high output with a lot of sustain. I own a Fender HSS Strat, a Hamer Scarab, and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus. This is by far the best one for metal playing. If it were stolen I would probably have difficulty finding the money to get another one (I'm only 15). But I definetly would if I had the chance. There is nothing I absouloutly don't like about this guitar, everything is good. My favourite feature though, in terms of playing has to be Seymour Duncan HB-108 pickups combine with the Floyd Rose. It would be better if it had a volume knob and a tone knob for each pickup, but thats not too bad. Overall Very very good guitar! // 10

Synyster Gates Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2012

Price paid: € 749

Purchased from: Retailer

Features: Made in South Korea, the guitar has 24 jumbo frets, which make playing extremely easy. It's a solid mahogany guitar, it's quite heavy, though when compared to my Les Paul it's as light as a feather. The Seymour Duncan humbuckers are great! You get an active feel from passive elements! It features a push-pull coil-splitting tone knob. Also, the Floyd Rose locking system prevents the guitar from going out of tune, ever. You can literally pick up the guitar by the strings, move your arm up and down like a flapping duck and it still stays in tune! // 10

Sound: My style is mostly heavy metal (and occasionally death-metal), it fits that style nicely. I use the guitar with a Bugera V55 tube amp at home and with a big 100w Line 6 tube amp when I'm playing with my band. The pickups are a bit low on treble, though a little preamp booster pedal fixes that quite nicely. The most amazing part though, is its clean sound. When you switch to single-coil it provides a better acoustic sound than my Ovation Elite semi-acoustic guitar. The only downpart is that the volumepot is a bit noisy when you turn it back a bit. I will replace it with a different pot later, it will be an easy fix. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was nice and low, just the way I like it. I normally devote a lot of time to adjust the pickups of my new guitars, this is the first guitar where I didn't feel like changing a thing! The floyd rose was properly setup, though I changed the strings right away. I also added the extra spring that came with the guitar because I don't like it when other strings go out of tune when you start bending. There was a tiny dent near the nut, other than that the guitar was flawless. The overall impression on the finish was even better than what you can expect from customshop Gibsons. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will absolutely withstand many gigs. Everything on this guitar seems like it will last for decades. Not bringing a backup guitar is a huge mistake, no matter how well a guitar is made. Still, the only worries I'd have are breaking strings. A special note on the neck, the bolt-in neck does not move AT ALL. It is a perfect fit. I honestly do not understand why they put a bolt-in neck on the standard and a set-in neck on the custom. In fact, it should be the other way around! It's a lot harder to properly make a guitar with a bolt-in neck. Also, the sustain is slightly better with a bolt-in neck. // 10

Overall Impression: I own quite a lot of high-quality guitars, though this one is absolutely better than the rest. I picked this one over the Custom because of the bolt-in neck. As proven in research labs, a guitar with a bolt-in neck will have better sustain than a guitar with a set-in neck. Also, the HB108 humbuckers on this guitar have a bit more sound in the low/mids than the invaders have, the output is slightly lower as well which is a huge plus to me. If this guitar ever gets stolen I would even sell my customshop Gibson Les Paul if needed to buy another one. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.6 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014