Tempest Blackjack Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 01/07/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Tempest Blackjack
The Schecter Tempest Black Jack model is armed with the classic Seymour Duncan JB and '59 pickup configuration, which can be "tapped" via the push/pull tone control.
 8.4
 9.6
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Tempest Blackjack Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 07, 2008

Purchased from: music works

Features: The guitar was crafted in south korea but assembled in the usa. 22 X-jumbo frets with a maple rosewood neck/fingerboard. It's ultra access but that only realy goes up to the 17th fret. Set neck. Tone pros bridge thru body. Good old Grover tuners. Seymour Duncan pickups, JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck. Individual volume knobs for each, same with the tone knobs, which are also coil taps, meaning you pull them out and they turn the humbuckers into single coil pickups. Comes in black. With black chrome hardware. I'm giving it a 8 due to the fact it only has 22 frets and the ultra access is only up to the 17th. The coil taps are realy what sold this guitar to me tho. I don't care so much for a tremelo bridge but a lot of people would rather have one. // 8

Sound: The guitar suits my music style just fine. I play mostly mainstream metal like black label and Lamb Of God which it handles well provided you have a good angry amp. but I also play loads of old blues and classic rock which it does even better than metal. unfortunitly I don't have a amp right now but I'm working on getin a marshal AVT100. I've played it a lot through my friends amps, ones a home made cab, I forget his head but it was a bass head of some discription, with a jim Dunlop distortion pedal. with the coil taps in it sounds great. heave on the distortion and it goes hard, turn it off and the sound is rich and deep, when you pop the coil taps out into the single coil mode you get alitte bit of buzz which isnt there with the humbucker mode, it's also slightly quiter which could get anoying, but it sounds wonderfull. it thins out the sound bucket loads, sounds like a Strat. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: So the action was ok, I lowerd it abit but I can't get it Ultra low with out things buzzing. I'm not an expert on guitar construction but most of it is well made, only problems are with one of the tone knobs which kept coming off when I pulled the taps out, but that was an easy fix with an alan key, the main worry I have right now is the pickup selector, after vigerous tom morrello style toggle switching I noticed than when I flick it around a lot it seams to cut out most of the sound and lose all it's tone. It's anoying and needs fixing but il get onto that in the next few days. Should not be a hassel as it's under warenty. It's only a little thing but it's buggin the hell outa me now. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a big heavy beast, much like a les paul. Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable, if it dosnt work you can just beat the crowd into liking your band. When I first got it I wasn't used to the tail heavyness and when I let it go while siting down it flung itself downwards causing the headstock to hit me in the face, I took a grover to the jaw, it stayed in tune, everything with it was fine. I was in a lot of pain, but impressed with it for being totaly unfased. No idea what the stock strap buttons are like because I put strap locks in it befor I even pluged it in. // 9

Overall Impression: It fits everything I play well thanks to thoes coil taps, it's range is amazing. I've only been playing for almost 2 years, and played many a guitar. I tryed a hell of a lot of guitars befor I bought this one. Gibson triple pickup SG's. Zakk Wylde epiphones. Vintage Fender Strats, Deans, Ibanezes all around the same price range and most of them left me wanting. If it was stolen I'd probly look around alittle more but only for something very similar to this one. Probably just get it again. I love the coil taps. I dislike the 22 frets and the toggle switch. the more wiring there is the more can go wrong. Other than that, it's great for it's price, much better value for money than any Gibson or other popular brand. If your looking for value for money and versitility. This guitar is your man, just make sure the electronics work perfect befor you point your money at it. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014