Tempest Custom Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 04/25/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Tempest Custom
With a carved top, striking appearance and tone to back it up, the Tempest Custom is built for players who desire an instrument that's a little unconventional.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 8.2
reviews (9) pictures (3) 27 comments vote for this gear:
Tempest Custom Reviewed by: tre_coo, on january 07, 2008

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: Crafted in South Korea, set up in America. Personally I really like the Grover tuners, when I first got the guitar it really didn't go out of tune (this was when I didn't even have it set up yet). The TonePros bridge really reminded me of how a Les Paul is like. Packed with two humbucker pickups, it's perfect for hard rock. No unusual noises or hum is coming from the humbucker. The coil tap feature just really gives the guitar a chance to be versatile, and it really shows. You can go from a Les Paul tone (the humbuckers) to a really nice tele tone (coil-tap). For some reason it's got the feel of a Les Paul, which I really like. It didn't come with any accessories, but you can buy a hard-case exclusively made for the Schecter Tempest. // 9

Sound: I like to play many different rock genres, including classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, even to blues. The Duncan Designed HB-102 pickups really give me the option to Switch from one genre to another. The pickups are extremely versatile, it can go well with many different types of genres. With the coil-tap feature, I can go from playing some really heavy Metallica riffs to some Stevie Ray Vaughan blues licks. The tone of the guitar really reminds me of a Les Paul, dark tone, bassy and "in your face". With the coil-tap feature, it gives me the bright twang of a Tele. I play this thing through an Epiphone Valve Junior Head + Matching Cabinet, with an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS808, and this guitar really makes a perfect match. For the price range, the sound competes with guitars twice as expensive. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well from the factory, The intonation was spot-on, no fret buzz, straight neck, but the action was a little bit too high for my likings. But fixing the action is an easy thing to do. Nothing was loose or anything, the strings didn't pop out of the nut when you strum it hard. The pickups were a bit too close to the strings when I got it, but again, not too big of a problem. There were no scratches or dents, even the strings that came with the guitar were good to play. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this guitar for one month, and I've played it on one gig. On that one gig, I remember banging the headstock onto the wall pretty hard. I was worried that I would have chipped it, or it would leave a pretty big scratch. I was surprised when I found that there was only a minor scratch. The strap buttons haven't fallen or become loose yet, despite me jumping around with a strap. The hardware appears to be built like a tank, I'd expect the guitar to at least last me a very long time. The toggle Switch took quite a beating from me using it as a killswitch, and it's still holding up like the first day I got the guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is a great match for the music I like to play. Thrashing riffs from Metallica, mellow riffs from Stevie Ray Vaughan. The coil-tap feature really allows me to switch from different genres. I've been playing guitar for 8 years, and over the years I've tried many different guitars. I once owned an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and that didn't even compare to the Schecter Tempest Custom. Before I bought the guitar, I've never actually tested it out in person, so I didn't know what to expect. When I got it, I was amazed. Personally I wouldn't take the risk of not trying before buying with any other guitar, except for this guitar. So if your thinking of doing the same with the Schecter Tempest Custom, don't worry. You will be amazed by the sound, quality, and it's durability. If it were stolen or lost, I would immediately buy another one, no doubt about that. It's just the perfect guitar for me, and it really is the best guitar for the price. // 9

Tempest Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 17, 2009

Purchased from: Mansons Electric Guitars

Features: Based on my limited understanding of serial codes I think this is an 05' model, Seethru Black cherry, crafted in south korea, 22 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, thin neck profile, not sure what it's made out of! I just play the thing, 2x duncan design pickups, 2 independant volume dials and a push pull coil split tone dial, tunomatic bridge, grover tuners. Came with free gig bag, so I'm happy! // 9

Sound: I play anything from pop punk, to metal, and most things inbetween and although I've not had this thing long (only a few hours! ) it seems to keep up well with what I do to it. I play through a Marshall TSL60 and 4X12 so I can make my sounds pretty diverse from the amp and the guitar just makes the sounds so much better, with the coil tap you can get the really thin bright sound of a Stratocaster and without the coil tap you get the really warm les paul tone but without all the extra low end resonense. The way I see it (correct me if I'm wrong) but I own a Strat and a les paul and have tracked them both in a recording situation and this guitar feels like a mix of the 2 but with the capabilities of both and even more. This guitar is very diverse and with the gain right up you can get the shread metal sounds that some people like every now and again ( I know I do! ) I'll give it a 9 for the duncan design pickups just lacking that little bit extra the most full on Seymour Duncan pickups have, might switch them out but happy with them at the moment. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up at the guitar shop and they set the action perfectly so I don't know what the factory set up was like but I have a friend that owns a Schecter C1 and his was from the factory and the setup was beautiful, fret action was perfect, almost no buzz but the thing is that both he and I play in half step tuning (E flat and so on) so when I drop tuned it to flat I had a little bit of buzz which is partly to do with the gauge of the strings and partly because it was set up for Standard tuning so I wont penalise them on that because it still ahs very little buzz and great action. Because mine was second hand it had a few little nicks and dents here, nothing blatantly visable, you had to look real close to find some kind of flaw on it. With the tuners, I find that with all the guitars I've had/played that had grover tuners on them that the tuning key where you manually adjust it is always too loose so my guitars were slipping out of tune slighty and often, but that can be fixed by just tightening the screw on top and no problems, bend and thrash all you want, this guitar will not go out of tune with these solid tuners. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Haven't used this Live yet but gave it a full on beating when I got it home and it seems to last very well so far, I'm not too heavy handed on stage, unlike the other guitar player in my band (Who is also my brother! ) but I give the guitar enough of a beating so I think it will be just fine. I probably could gig this guitar without a backup but would never go to a gig without one, covers all of my bases incase anything can (and probably) will go wrong! I.e breaking 2 strings on a guitar simultaniously, then switching to my old backup (a tricked out Gould eagle les paul style guitar) and somehow managing to wiggle loose the wires on the selector Switch and breaking a wireless within the span of a 45 minute set, so I like to be very overprepared! The finish is bound to last because these kind of finishes do, I've seen 20 year old fenders that are worn like no bodys buiseness but I've seen 20 year old les pauls that have only worn slightly, so I believe this guitars finish will last 20 years, hopefully more! // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion, Schecter are a very underated company because the market is capitalised by companies such as Gibson, Fender and so on. I've only been playing guitar for coming up 5 years in april and take note that I'm only 17 but I've played a lot of guitars over the years, and this one is one of the best guitars I've played, except for a 69' (I think! ) les paul and a couple of telecasters from the 80's, I've had a few impulse buys I've later regretted and I don't think I'll regret this guitar anytime soon because of the bargain price and the quality that this company produce. If it were stolen I would want another one but I'd have to pay a lot more than I did for it. The only thing I wish this guitar had was my name stamped on it and my signature mods (which I don't think I'll be doing because this guitar is to good for me to get dirty with a screwdriver and some spray paint!) // 10

Tempest Custom Reviewed by: Cobalt Fall, on september 23, 2010

Purchased from: Online retailer

Features: I've got a 2009 or 2010 model. Street price is $699, the retailer I got it from had a blowout sale a few months back and I believe I got a returned model ("scratch and dent") so I couldn't pass it up at only $279. The Tempest Custom is a set-neck, all mahogany guitar with dual humbuckers (Duncan Designed), two volume knobs, one tone knob (with push/pull coil tapping for the pickups) and a three-way switch. The top is carved, and it has a TonePro's TOM bridge and stop tail. I purchased the Black model with Gold hardware. The combination is stunning, especially combined with the "vintage"-looking cream body and neck binding. On a side note: I did not like the Switch orientation nor the configuration of the volume knobs, so I modified them (easily done). The Switch on my guitar was oriented to Switch "front to back" rather than "up and down" like a Les Paul. That was simple to fix; loosen the nut, spin the switch, tighten the nut back down. However I like the volume knob closest to my hand to control the bridge pickup, and vice-versa. This was reversed on the Tempest. The "forward" (and closest) volume pot controlled the neck pickup, the other controlled the bridge. I suppose this makes a certain level of sense; the front knob controls the front pickup, etc. But not to me. All wiring in the cavity was long enough to simply swap the positions of the pots except for one ground wire. 30 seconds of solder work and a 2" longer wire and my mod was complete. I'm giving this category an 8 simply due to the somewhat-unorthodox controls that I had to mod myself. // 8

Sound: I play a Line 6 Spider III half-stack with a tube preamp, mostly for hard-rock and metal music. Google: Cobalt Fall! This guitar sounds very, very good and handles my music well. The coil-tapping and dual humbuckers really do allow for a wide range of tones. I'd call this quite a versatile guitar. Although most literature will call the pickups "Seymour Duncan pickups", they are not exactly Duncan's. They are "Duncan Designed", which is different. Kinda like calling a "Squier" a "Stratocaster". Though the quality difference is not that severe. The Duncan Designed pickups are very good. They don't have quite the bite or output that I'm used to from true Duncan JB's, etc., but they do the job very well. My only complaint would be that the low end is a touch lacking in output and definition. Nothing that can't be EQ'd. Clean, these pickups are crystalline and beautiful. When used in split-coil mode, the single-coil sound is VERY present - they do this job exceptionally well. Perhaps better than my "true" Duncan-equipped guitars. If the pickups were just a bit hotter and more defined, this category would get a 9 or 10. But - got to give another 8. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup when I got the guitar was excellent, though I still suspect it was a returned item so it may have had a setup previously. It arrived with a broken high E string and who the hell cares about that. I have not had to make any adjustments to the guitar what'soever. The action, intonation, and neck all seem spot-on. The finish has some VERY VERY VERY minor flaws. If I didn't buy a "scratch and dent" model, I probably would not have even looked nor found them. One or two extremely minor binding flaws that would not have stopped me from paying full-price for the instrument. Everything else is flawless. 9 is for the VERY minor flaws that were obviously factory-made. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'll be gigging this guitar tomorrow night so I'll let you know! So far it seems as durable as can be. I'm looking forward to thrashing it around on stage a bit ;-) Well they force you to pick a rating, so I will give it a 10. My impression is that it will, indeed, stand up to years of hard use! // 10

Overall Impression: Let me say - I LOVE this guitar. It's not often I have a desire to get more of the same instrument by the same manufacturer (Well I have several Les Paul-style guitars, but all from different makers), but I would buy another Tempest if I could get one as cheap as I got this. If this guitar were stolen from me I would be PISSED because I doubt I'd find another at the price I paid for mine and replacing it would be a MUST. Now that I own one, I would definitely pay street price if I had to. And I'm already looking to find another....hmmm....maybe in white ;-) 9 of 10 overall for the Tempest! I'd give a 9.5 if there was one! // 9

Tempest Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Year/Make/Model: 2008 Schecter Tempest Custom Made in Korea Frets: 24 I think they are medium frets Body/Neck wood: Flamed maple top/Mahogany body, nice Vintage style multi-ply cream binding. Mahogany-3 piece neck with a rosewood (looks like rosewood but schecter.com says ebony) fretboard. MOP split crown inlay with Abalone in the 12th. Body Style: It's a tempest.... Bridge: TonePros locking stoptail PUs: HB-102 Duncan Design, but I got mine with a Jazz/JB set. 2010 models have Duncan Custom Custom/'59 Wish it had locking tuners, and also the gloss black hides the flamed top and 3 piece neck. // 9

Sound: Tone wise, the tempest is amazing, I've played the Duncan Designed Tempest Custom and it is top notch. Warm luscious tone. Coil tapping is definitely very nice. I actually find myself consistently using the middle position where the two pickups blend together. The HB-102 can get muddy but it is definitely not a HUGE issue. I play a lot of different styles, and while the Tempest can't really do like a death/thrash metal kind of sound, in any other category it totally dominates. The tone is well balanced, maybe a tad towards teh warmer side, but again a very versatile guitar. With the Jazz/JB pickups (or any other Duncan sets) its just gets better, but that's more of a personal preference. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it used so I cannot comment on factory setup. But overall the action is good with minimal buzzing if at all. Pickup selector is pretty decent, but I've noticed a bit of noise from my old one (trust me I DON'T use it as a kill Switch like most kids nowadays do on youtube.... It's a selector Switch guys!) Gold hardware can get tarnished easier than chrome/Nickel hardware. So that is my ONLY complain. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I gig with this guitar almost exclusively now. At first I bought this as a second guitar since I play my ESP/LTD F-400 but I've come to love the Tempest. Any guitar that I gig with I use Dunlop straploks, so I don't have to worry about the strap or buttons failing on me. I can safely say I probably won't need a backup for it (but anyone who've broken a string in the middle of a gig will tell you. You're dumb to not have a backup). The gloss black can make minor scratches seem more apparent than say the Trans-Black finish. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 10 years almost. Anything from ballads/Rock ballads, Hard Rock, Melodic, to Jazz and soft rock, the guitar is definitely suited well for everything I need. I own various other guitars and nothing really come close at this price. (I don't see a HUGE increase in quality and/or tone past the $800 range to be honest) Here's the thing, this Tempest Custom is my 3rd. The first one that I have was dinged by my other guitarist TWICE in the same night. I tried repairing it but it was not worth the hassle. I bought a 2nd one from a dealer on ebay, and he said minor scratches... When I got it, I saw a rippling top, faded hardware and the binding just doesn't look right. I bet it was sitting in a window and had sunlight/humidity damage. So I sold that, and finally got this 3rd one with the Jazz/JB set and this thing is great. So If it was stolen/lost/dinged... I would (and did) buy it again. For anyone who is on the fence, you won't regret it. It's not your run of the mill Epiphone/Gibsons and Fenders. Nothing comes close with its price range. And in reality it is not about the price that's attractive. It'll be hard to find anything with this kind of hardware and quality build for double it's price (sure a MIA/MIJ stamp but you pay a premium for minimal, if any, gain). I'd argue (besides Schecter custom shop guitars) that the Tempest Custom is one of the best guitars Schecter ever made. // 10

Tempest Custom Reviewed by: KobijsP, on august 09, 2011

Price paid: € 470

Purchased from: ppc-music.de

Features: My Tempest Custom was made in South Korea, in 2008. It has 22 medium frets, with split crown inlays, like all the Tempest Custom's. Mahogany body, with a set 3 piece mahogany neck. Finished in Crimson Red. Strat-like body, with a Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has Duncan Designed HB-102 humbuckers, with 2 volume and 1 tone (push-pull) nob. And Grover tuners. // 9

Sound: Mostly, I play from rock to alternative, and a little blues. Since it has the coil-tap ability it can get me anywhere I need it to. I play it through various amps, but mostly through a Roland Cube 20X using a Boss MT-2 and a Boss ME-25. It has almost no noise, since I've gone through whole the setup, electronics, wiring, etc. It has a great tone and amazing sustain. Does great for soloing, and so for power-chords. It is extremely versatile. But if you're really into hardcore stuff, you might need a different set of pickups. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it out of the box, it was ready for playing, the action was as low as it could get without fret-buzz, don't get me wrong, it was really low. It didn't have any flaws or anything, just amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing will handle pretty much everything you'll throw at it. I think you could even bash someone in the head with it, and it still would be playable, lol. I've used this guitar for over a year now, and has some minor scratches and that's it. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned I play from blues to alternative, and it's a perfect match. I play for about 3 years now, and I've had my hands on some pretty decent axes too (Mexican Tele's, A few Epiphone LPs, other Schecter guitars) and this guitar gives me everything I need. There's no question that I'd buy it again, if someone stole this one from me. I think I'd even try to buy back the stolen one, lol. I have mad love for this guitar. I did compare this one to a few LTD's at the same price. The only thing I'd wish was different is the pickup selector, I'd like it better if it were somewhere near the control knobs. At some point it seems uncomfortable, but that's just me. // 10

Tempest Custom Reviewed by: JustRooster, on december 09, 2011

Purchased from: Not purchased

Features: The Schecter Tempest Custom is the cosmetically more appealing model of the Tempest line, which offers a different style of double-cut body design from the normal "super-strat" lineup in Schecter. It's aimed towards a more affordable intermediate market. It's mahogany guitar with a neck-thru design, a fixed bridge, and an HH Duncan Designed pickup configuration. The tuners are Grovers, and Tone Pros makes the bridge. This guitar is straight forward in design. The difference in the 2007 model I am reviewing and the standard is purely cosmetic. The hardware and electronics are exactly the same. // 5

Sound: The biggest issue I had with this guitar is simply how muddy the stock Duncan Designed HB-101/102 humbuckers. Schecter has since updated the new custom to a Custom/'59 combo, and by good decision. The body sustained well through all the amps I pushed it through. First I played through a Fender 65' Deluxe to test the cleans. I was able to get a variety of different sounds, which were all not quite what I wanted due to the pickups, but that doesn't render testament against the versatility of the tonal range. Next I dirtied up a bit with an AC15. This is where the pickups seemed to do best for me. Classic Rock and Rock n' Roll tones were just oozing out of this guitar. It was really reminiscent of an old Les Paul cranked through old Vox amps. Joe Walsh tones were easy to nail with this combo. The last thing I plugged it through was a Peavey 6505 with a Fulltone OCD in front for extra gain. The tones weren't as varied as I would have liked, but subtle nuances were there. Overall the clarity lacked as a result of the pickups once again. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has my favorite neck that Schecter puts out. You can read my review on the Hellraiser and Syn Custom to see what my normal opinions are. The Tempest's neck is surprisingly more playable and fast than anything else I've touched in the Schecter lineup. It still falls plagued to the Schecter Tradition of having the edges of their frets finished poorly, but for this price-range, that's slightly forgivable, if not expected. This guitar stays in tune incredibly well. Many folks at my shop pick this guitar up on a daily basis, and I rarely get asked for a tuner for it, or find myself going over to tune it up. The finish is nice, but not much beyond that. The finish on the back of the neck will take some wearing it to get to the point where it's not sticky, but it's not that big of a hindrance. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As said before, many people pick this guitar up during the day. It definitely gets put through the ringer on the daily but a multitude of different players, and I've yet to have to fix anything on it. The finish is deep enough that you'd really have to smack this guitar against something to make visible damages. This is a guitar that is easily gigable. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a guitar that's great for someone who likes how Schecter plays, but dislikes their overwhelmingly metal connotation. The hardware leaves me wanting, but the playability makes up for a lot of it, especially since the hardware is replaceable by simple drop-in measures. With a pickup swap, in my opinion, this guitar easily rivals other Schecters with bigger price tags. However, that's not saying a whole lot considering the quality control on most Hellraisers these days. // 7

Tempest Custom Reviewed by: El_Savage08, on july 06, 2012

Purchased from: Best Buy

Features: This was made in Korea and set-up in the US. Has 22 frets. Inlays are abolone and mother-of-pearl on the 12th fret, or the other way around, I forget haha. It has a mahogany body and neck, rosewood fret bored, and cream binding. Its a super Strat shape, sorta haha. It has a TonePros bridge, 2 passive Duncan Design humbuckers, a push-pull coil tap, and a 3-way switch. Very versatile. It also has gold hardware. No accessories included. Oh and it has Grover Tuners. They can take a good amount of abuse till it gets outta tune! // 8

Sound: I play from punk to metal, classic rock to ska. I run it through a Carvin MTS 3200 and a B-52 4x12 cab (I know, its not that great of a cab but its all right haha. I also run it through a Crate GX-130CH. No effects, just straight. The Duncan Designed 'buckers are actually pretty good. The neck pick up is the only one that could sound a bit better, but its still all right (bit too bassy but eh). I can go from a fierce thrash metal tone to a warm jazzy sound with the coil tap feature. Good guitar for heavier music stuff. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up was bad. A lot of fret buzz. I fixed it as best I could and managed to lessen the buzz, but still got it set-up. Finish was in great condition. It only had a few scratches. After a few weeks, the pick up selecter would give out and cut off the sound at random times. Turned out it was just dirty. I cleaned it and it was good as new. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I play in a punk/hardcore punk band and I have gigged a lot with this. It has survived nasty hits, beer spills, drops, hard and light picking, dust filled backyards, and even vomit (long story short, some drunk chick barfed on it a little). Very durable, believe me. A strap button had fallen off but it was an easy fix. The finish has come off a little because of those nasty hits. Good thing its in the back. I baby this thing a lot. I haved gigged with no back up whatsoever for a good 2 years or so(I know, I know! I'm supposed to have a back up!). This thing has survived it and it still sounds like it just came out of the factory. Very dependable guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: In conclusion, this guitar is great. It shows its true colors on heavier stuff. The coil tap is a stand out feature. It compares well with others in its price range, if not better. It was "used" even though it was in really, really good condition. You get a lot of bang for your buck. I'd be pissed as hell if it was stolen. I had and Epiphone G-400 before this. That one was stolen! So this was its replacement, and a pretty big step up. I have grown attached to it because it was my first big purchase, 2 or so years ago. There are better guitars, obviously, but this is one solid guitar. I shall give it a good solid 7.5 rating! // 7

Tempest Custom Reviewed by: rallygsc, on october 31, 2012

Purchased from: Dave's Guitar Shop Wisconsin

Features: 2011 Model, Made in Korea - Construction: Set Neck with Ultra Access - Body: Mahogany - Top: Flame Maple - Neck: 3-Piece Mahogany - Scale: 24.75 inch - Fingerboard: Ebony - Frets: 22 Medium - Inlays: Mother of Pearl Split Crown - Binding: Multi-ply Crme - Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan '59 Humbucker - Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan Custom Custom SH11 Humbucker - Electronics: -- Volume (per pickup) -- Tone (tap) -- 3-way switch - Bridge: TonePros System - Tuners: Schecter Locking with Pearl Buttons - Hardware: Chrome The body is done similar to a Les Paul crossed with a Strat, mahogany with a flamed mapple top, solid woods, mahogany neck with an ebony fretboard with a flamed maple cap on the headstock. Finish: gloss Transparent black limited edition color for 2010 and 2011. Locking tuning keys, similar to Schallers. Standard tune o matic bridge and tail piece made by tone pros. I rated this area as an 8, the guitar is nice, but the large studs on the Bridge makes it look cheap, and the speed knobs are cheesey, they have a rubber grommet around the top to help grip them, I guess, they should have used bell knobs. // 8

Sound: How does it suit your music style?, well I am into classic rock and hard rock, the guitar has the classic woods used and the pickups have the tone. What amps and effects are you using it with?, Marshall DSL 401 made in England, effects wise, an original clyde mccoy wah, dallas arbiter fuzz face, and a few other Vintage pedals. Is it noisy? On what settings? Rich/Full sound? Bright sound? Well sound wise it's nice in humbucker mode, warm and full, sort of like a Les Paul, now it has coil tapping for both humbuckers, but sadly Schecter decided to use only one pot to tap both pickups, so you are limited in some ways, I plan on fixing this soon. It's not noisy, but then again I didn't have the amp cranked up the whole time, but it seems well grounded and quiet. What kind of sounds can the guitar make? How much variety? in humbucker mode, I can get some good classic sounds, Clapton in Cream, Zeppelin, Joe Walsh, in single coil mode, it's not bad, to twangy in some aspects like a telecaster, the tonal variety is nice, but Schecter should have put two volumes and two tone controls on the guitar for more versatility, or they should have had two push pull pots instead of one, this way each pickup could be coil tapped individually, easy fix if you know how to wire guitars. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: How well was the guitar set-up at the factory? (How was the action?) Well judging on the condition of the guitar, the original strings were one it and it wasn't messed with, it was a decent setup, I would say medium action. How well were the pickups adjusted? They were ok. Properly bookmatched top? As good as any overpriced Gibson, sorry I love Les Pauls, but they are going for way too much anymore. Did the guitar contain any flaws? None that I can see. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand live playing? Well I can say after owning some Korean made guitars and Schecters, well it will hold up better than that made in China junk. Does the hardware seem like it will last? As with any guitar, good parts do make a difference, I think the electronics might be an issue, in a lot of cases import guitars use cheap pots and switches, so only time will tell. Are the strap buttons solid? I never trust the factory strap buttons unless they are straplocks, personal preference. Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup?, overall I think the guitar can handle it, my only concern would be the push pull pot, it feels cheap, I would replace it prior to gig use. Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? Well it's a polyurethane finish, it will last if you take care of it, of course if you abuse it the finish won't last. // 8

Overall Impression: What style of music do you play? Is this a good match? Well I am into classic rock and hard rock, this guitar in some ways is a Les Paul Copy due to the pickup set up and the woods used, yeah it's a good match. How long have you been playing? What other gear do you own? Been playing off and on for over 20 years, I own a couple of Gibson Les Pauls, a Fender Strat, a Fender Telecaster, and 2 other Schecter tempests. Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this product? No, Schecter is one of the better imports out there, quality is always on of their priorities. If it were stolen / lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Well at the price I got this one, I don't think I can get another one in the same condition for this price, I would like another one as a replacement, or a Gibson Les Paul. What do you love about it? Well this one I love the price, it was a steal, so no complaints. What do you hate? I do not like the large studs on the bridge, it makes it look cheap, I do not like the strap buttons, at $699 new in most cases it should have strap locks, and I do not like the electronics, should have two push pull pots, this way each pickup could be tapped individually. What is your favorite feature? The pickups, the woods, the overall quality. Did you compare it to other products? Yes I compared Epiphones in the price range, and only the Japanese ones can compare quality wise or the Korean ones, but all of the new ones are made in China, so it's either this or sell some organs to get a Gibson. Which ones? Epiphone Les Pauls, ESP Japan Edwards Les Pauls, and a few others. Why did you choose this one? The price, I was looking for something to add to the arsenal and at this price, well why not. Anything you wish it had? Strap locks and better pots, working on those items next for it.

// 9

Tempest Custom Reviewed by: tmr4891, on april 25, 2014

Purchased from: Guitar Center (used)

Features: I was in the market for a versatile instrument. My criteria was pretty straight forward. Set in mahogany neck in mahogany body, tune o matic bridge, decent nut (graph tech I believe), coil tap, pickups I won't want to replace, and decent tuners.

The tuners are nothing special, but they are useable. I may want to upgrade those in the future. The stock speed knobs were nice enough to keep, but I wound up replacing them just because I like to do at least something to set my instrument apart. Nice overall feel, doesn't bend as easy as my trem guitars, but it's not supposed to. Overall there's nothing to complain about, just the possible upgrade to the tuners.

I wound up with the black one with gold hardware, which is ultimately why I got gold top hat knobs for it. Totally unnecessary, but very nice looking. // 9

Sound: My writing style varies heavily, between extremely distorted melodic material, to very clean twang. What I tend to learn is rock, milder metal, and anything clean that I think sounds nice when I'm practicing while listening. The Duncan Designed pickups are honestly every bit as usable as the pups they're modeled after, which has a lot to do with Schecter, and the quality of their instruments. I have the actual pups from a dead guitar, and I haven't thought twice about putting them in. They're truly excellent, and will stay in it so long as I have this instrument.

I have gotten absolutely insanely powerful sounding distortion out of this guitar, and the cleans are thick and pronounced. The coil split does what it usually seems to do to humbuckers, making them thinner, and not at all an honest replication of a single coil. I wound up buying a Squier Strat to work on as this wasn't quiet the single coil sound I was after. Don't be confused though, it can definitely be used for whatever your ear wants, I just had something particular in mind. Honestly, just wanted a strat anyway.

There is nothing to complain about here. There's no buzz, the split works, and it does cover a lot of ground. It's as close to a do it all guitar as I've found, and if that's what you're after, you're going to be hard pressed to find something that does it better. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Can't speak to factory settings, but when I got it from guitar center it was all but perfect. The finish is gorgeous, the hardware is too. There is no way I can say anything negative about the action, fit or finish. It's what a guitar should look like out of the factory (minus usage marks that come with used instruments, barely noticeable stuff).

The guitar feels heavy, in the sense that it feels like you could kill a few thousand zombies with it before it starts to break. And it looks so good you'd probably hold on to it after that just in case you find a way to fix it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's mahogany. You can break it, but you really have to try. I'd use this exclusively without a doubt if I needed to. The buttons seem solid, don't use them much. The finish seems laid on quite thick, and again, there's nothing to complain about here. The hardware all seems fine and I don't see any reason for it to suddenly just stop working how it has been. The tuners aren't locking, but the tuning is actually pretty stable, although some floyd bends can take it out of tune if you don't string your guitar right. Solid instrument. // 10

Overall Impression: I play varying styles of music, and value talent in guitar playing. I wanted versatility. For that, it is a great match. I've been playing for somewhere around 11 years... Have a built up Squier Strat, a Squier Jazzmaster (excellent except for that damn bridge), a Schecter Raiden 4 bass, and a reworked WI66 Pro LP style guitar I had to do a whole project on to turn it into a fat cabronita style tele'ish guitar. No favorites, but I do love this one.

I'd replace it in a minute, and there's nothing not to love about it. Favorite feature would have to be the pups, and the split. I compared it to a lot of LP style guitars, and decided on this one because of the unique shape, awesome price, sound, and just great looking instrument. Probably will swap out the tuning pegs, and that'll be it for this one. Great guitar. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.6 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014