Tempest Extreme Review

8.9
 8.4
reviews (4) 20 comments vote for this gear:
Tempest Extreme Reviewed by: Dopey_Trout, on january 12, 2008

Features: My guitar was made in 2006 I believe and was probably made in Korea before being set up in the USA. It has 22 Jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. The neck is a fairly Standard Maple bolt on. It has a solid figured maple top on a basswood body. The body is finished in a flamed maple style. The body is not dissimilar to a Les Paul in both size and overall chunkiness. The neck is palm filling and butter smooth. It comes equipped with the Standard Tune-O-Matic bridge and a stop tail. It comes Standard with passive electronics made by Schecter (High Output Alnicos) which I plan on replacing with a set of Seymour Duncan Blackouts. The controls are again Les Paul-alike with a 3 way pickup selector and Vol/Vol/Tone knobs. The tuners are again own brand built by Schecter but are still very effective with little tuning slippage. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my (predominately) metal style very well, with the size and girth of the body providing lots of sustain. I not only play metal, but also some classic rock, blues and classical. The pickups handle these styles fairly well (although they are lacking a little in the trouser department, hence the Switch to actives). I am using the guitar with a Crate GT15 (which is awful but what does 60 get you in the guitar world) into a Krank Distortus Maximus (a ballsy kick ass pedal) into a Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell. This setup does provide me with some of the tone I want but I feel an amp upgrade coming up. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up exceedingly well from the factory (not particularly surprising given the American set ups). The pickups were adjusted well and are just the right height from the strings. The top and the bridge I have had no problems with (aside from an early stringing style change to that of Slash and Jimmy Page) although the action was set rather high (I have recently remedied this however). The only problem I have with this guitar is the fact that the jack socket continually works it's way loose from the body (which I hope to have corrrected at the next set up). Other than the jack socket, I have had no problems. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As far as I can tell this guitar will take some punishment. The headstock has done more damage to my bedroom cabinets than vice versa. The hardware seems built to last (aside from the previously mentioned jack socket) and I would willingly gig with this guitar. I am as of yet unsure as to whether I would gig without a backup. The finish has so far shown no blemishes which I am most happy about as I wear belts a lot. The lacquer of the finish seems thick without stifling the woods or the tone. The strap buttons are solid but are rather small so I would consider fitting straplocks before gigging. // 8

Overall Impression: I have previously mentioned my playing style and (with the pickup change) I hope the guitar will only improve. I have been playing for over 2 years now and feel this guitar has helped me with my playing more than say, an Ibanez, since my fingers have had to work harder due to a relativey high action. I regret nothing about my purchase and hope it lasts long enough to provide an heirloom. If it were stolen I would hunt the bastard to the ends of the Earth (stealing someone's first guitar is just wrong). I compared it to an Epiphone Les Paul but preferred the Schecter due to it's higher versatility, workmanship and individuality. The only thing I wish this guitar came with as Standard is a ballsier set of pickups, an improved jack socket and straplocks. Other than this, I love it. // 10

Tempest Extreme Reviewed by: shadow__666, on september 08, 2008

Purchased from: Greenlane MusicWorks

Features: I'm not sure when or where my model was made, but I'm assuming it's recent as I bought it new. It has a basswood body with a bolt on maple neck, three knobs and Standard Schecter pickups which may be good for some, but not so much for me. I bought (or asked the parents to get me as my birthday present) this model thinking it had coil taps, which it doesn't so I was quite disappointed but the Standard humbuckers would be quite good if you're into metal. Otherwise, no complaints; it's a good, solid guitar that feels and plays a bit like a Gibson Les Paul, for more than half the price. // 8

Sound: I play mostly alternative rock, with heavy grunge and shoegaze influences. Therefore, I'm not in love with the fatter tone of the buckers as I prefer a sharper tone, but it plays so well I can Live with it. I use it with my Ibanez 10W starter pack amp (soon to be upgraded), Boss PW-10 V-Wah (which is total shite) and DigiTech Grunge distortion pedal, which is great for the money. Since I'm an original artist, I try to find my own tone rather than trying to get a particular sound although on the Heavy and Smooth setting of my pedal with every knob turned to 10, I can get a surprisingly good Bush-type sound. Because of the limitations of my amp I can't get too much out of it, but I will say that this baby can actually wring a half decent tone out of it so it must be good. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no complaints at all about the set-up, everything worked great the moment I took it out of the case and plugged it in. My only minor complaint is that the stock strings aren't great for my solo style, but a simple string change can fix that. No other issues at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It feels rock solid to me; I'm completely confident it will last live gigs. I don't gig yet but plan to in the future, but I can be a bit rough with my stuff (I.e. bang it occasionally, and I can never be arsed putting it back in the case) and so far it's survived everything I've thrown at it. Everyone seems to have problems with the input jack, but so far I haven't (crosses fingers). Since my other guitar is an Ibanez GAX that I tried to modify and failed, this is my only working axe. I would still be comfortable gigging without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before I play alternative rock with a lot of grunge and shoegaze styles. The Tempest Extreme is only a pickup change away (I'm planning to put in Seymour Duncan Jazzmaster pickups or similar) from being perfect for my style of playing. I still wish I had asked about the coil taps, but what can I do about it huh. If it were stolen, I'd be really pissed because I'm broke and it's my only decent guitar, but if my parents or the insurance paid me out I'd probably get an Omen Extreme if only for the coil taps. As it stands, though, it's all mine and I love it. And once I change the pickups, I'm gonna love it even more. // 9

Tempest Extreme Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 02, 2010

Purchased from: FA Music Center

Features: Made in Indonesia, built with Basswood which is not a bad thing at all.. This guitar has a notable weight and in consequence great sustain! The shape it is kind of a mix of a Les Paul with a PRS. The finish is quite well for this value, the neck finish feels realy soft compared to other guitars. The hardware is very similar to les pual one.. Even the tuners are very much like Grover design! // 9

Sound: Actualy I play brit rock & Indie rock.. Even I know this brand is oriented for metal players, this guitar realy goes very well for any kind of music, it is a nice and versatile guitar.. I play on a Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 with Boss rv-3 and Boss-Chorus pedals. I also own a Fender Strato Std USA, and EPI. Les Paul Std.. But I could say that this guitar will become one of my main ones for live performance as it mixes strato and les paul tones together! It brings a bright sustainish and rounded sound trough an original LesPaul-PaulReedSmith style shape! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is well seted-up, the paint job isn't bad for that value.. Anyway it came with a pait spot on the neck which I think thats something that they have to be more carefull on the inspection qualty. Overall it is not too bad.. I like the fact that it has an own shape design which I consider that it provides identity to the guitar as for a player as well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would definitively use it on live performance, it leads very well! The only bad thing is that it's realy heavy to transport and wear on it! Not a good thing for my back and shoulders!.. The guitar parts are quite solid and well done. Each part it is designed on any sence from the look aspect to the touch feel. // 7

Overall Impression: In my life I had 8 diferent guitars (including Jap & USA Fender guitars) played many diferent styles for many years.. I could say that this guitar it feets quite good for any musician on any style.. I think it will become one of my main ones on stage! It delivers great mix of LesPaul-Strato tones that provides a sexual sound for a great value and design! I definitively recomend this guitar! // 9

Tempest Extreme Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 05, 2010

Features: 06 model made in Indonesia with 22 frets and a bolt-on neck. Came with 10-46 strings of the shelf when bought. Schectermade pick-ups with some great ompf when needed. (I think) The neck is a blend of the fat neck on a Gibson SG and the wizard II by Ibanez. Red cherry finish. // 8

Sound: I usually play hard rock and metal with it and it fits the genre perfect. The pick-ups in Harmony with the body makes a very fat tone that just screams for distortion/overdrive, and it fits rock just aswell as blues or even jazz in some ways. I run it with a old DigiTech Grunge distortion and a Vox wah into a Line 6 III 75w combo and when you find the real sweetspot you can't stop playing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it in -06 it was brand new and really felt like it. Nothing bad to report apart from the jack that's the main problem because it finds ways to get loose but that's something you can just tighten and keep playing. I think it's safe to say that they made a good job with it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar wants to be used. It's a real workhorse and it will take alot of beating without problem. I've used it live many times and it's the last part of my rig that will die. The finish is more or less unchanged since I started using it but it has a couple of spots where it's missing tiny pieces. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar feels like it was made for me. I would never sell it for any amount of money because it's just to good. I got a Ibanez RGR320 that I've used alongside it but the Schecter is just one step ahead everytime I play my Ibanez. The only thing I would want for it is a neck with 24 frets but it's not someting I think about when I'm playing so 22 works fine with it. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ C-1 Blackjack ATX FR 9.2 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014