Ultra Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 10/20/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Ultra
The new Ultra has been redesigned to include features like a 24 3/4" set-in mahogany neck with a sleek ultra-access neck heel, which will allow playability ease to the upper frets.
 9.2
 9.8
 8.5
review (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Ultra Reviewed by: Bristlehead, on october 20, 2006

Features: I've just recieved my brand new Schecter Ultra in Dark Vintage Sunburst. It was made in South Korea. The best features of this guitar are definatly the raised center (it looks and feels cool, and makes the guitar unique, also very Firebird-esque) and the coil tap knob. Basically all Schecters have this, and it's awesome to have to get some nice Strat-like clean tones. Oh, and the pickguard on top is good for me, because I never scratch on the bottom, I always scratch on the top where there usually isn't a guard. // 10

Sound: My band's style is all heavy rock. The guitar is a heavy best, so it pretty much suits it. Though it's not very amazing for metal or anything, it's distorted sound really cuts. It doesn't sound like most guitars where everything is just mushed together. I use it direct into a Line 6 Spider II head and cabinet, no effects. The sound is amazingly full and rich with clean tones. The coil tap is amazing, because I also play in a show choir band, and need some clean tones that aren't too bright and horrible. The distorted sound is perfect for my band. We have a female singer and are harder rock, so I need distorted tones that don't blend together so it's nice and defined. This guitar works perfectly. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was awesome. The action was super low and no buzz (it better have been set up pretty f--king well since I had to wait two and a half months for it to get to me). Everything was Brand New and sleek looking when it arrived, and that's basically how it is. Shiny and sleek, the raised center looks amazing, and the hardware is so nice. Everything's mint on this thing. The frets are huge though. It's almost like a bass. Though, my hands are bigger and I really like it in my opinion. You wouldn't by something with jumbo frets unless you wanted them, right? // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is guitar is so nicely set up. I feel like I could crack it over concrete, except for I saved up for to long for it (though it wasn't expensive at all!) I wouldn't need to use it with a backup at a gig except for my different tuning guitars, mostly because this guitar wasn't set up by me or a friend, so I trust it. The strap buttons are nice and solid, and aren't going anywhere. I need to get me some straplocks though. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this beast is amazing. To give you my impression, good and bad. The body is heavy, but it makes everything nice and full. The wood is amazing looking and sounding. The frets are large and the neck is long, but hey, if you're into that kind of thing, the action is still really really really super low and the top frets are so easy to reach! All the way up to 22 without a problem or a strain at all. The coil tap is an amazing feature to get some great tones. Anything from rock distortion to super clean. The double pickguards make it so the awesome wood won't get scratched up hardly, if not at all. The Duncan Design pickups are great. Almost as great as the real Duncans with a cheaper price tag. Still look awesome. The raised center makes the guitar look so cool. I've gotten so many compliments already! The largeness of the neck and body makes the guitar hard to fit in a case besides the $200 Schecter case. Doesn't fit standard guitar or bass cases. Though, it fits perfectly snug into a coffin case. No room to move at all. Great guitar. I'm so happy, and it was worth the wait. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014