Ultra III Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 06/06/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Ultra III
Ultra III was built in 2005 as one of the newest additions to the Schecter family.
 9.5
 9.6
 9.4
review (1) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Ultra III Reviewed by: WideSpreadPanic, on june 06, 2005

Purchased from: C&B Music

Features: My Ultra III was made in 2005 as this is one of the newest additions to the Schecter family. It was made in Korea. The scale is fast with a 25.5 scale and comfortable jumbo frets. The guitar features a unique sculpted top with a raised center on which three Duncan Designed mini-humbuckers (FG-101, I believe) are positioned. Don't let "Duncan Designed" fool you, they sound absolutely amazing. Three three-position slider switches allow you to turn each pickup on or off or on a "low" setting to get a variety of tones. It also has a single volume and tone knob. The guitar is offered in three colors: Vintage creme, black, and Vintage wine red. I purchased the Vintage creme and the finish is smooth and luxurious. The neck is set and forms perfectly to the body with no seems at all. The body style is similar to a Fender Mustang but not as jagged. It has non-locking Grover tuners that have stayed in tune for a week. The bridge is a modified Bigsby vibrato that does not go out of tune easily like the original Bigsbies. // 10

Sound: I play blues, doo-wop, and "artsy" rock so this unique and beautiful instrument suits me perfectly. The first amp I played it through was a crate 15 watt on clean with a bad monkey overdrive pedal set to the cleanest setting. I tried different pickup combinations with the selector switches and I was able to get both humbucker and single coil sound out of it. The sound can be rich or full or bright depending on how you have the pickups turned on or off. There is a slight amount of noise when just the lead pickup is engaged but it does not pose much of a problem. Thanks to the selectors for the pickups, the tonal variety is phenomenal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in tune when I got it and the action was just right for me. I've played a Les Paul Black Beauty before, and a DXMG Dinky and the action on the Ultra III is just as good. Pickups were adjusted fine. The only error in the guitar aside from the slightly noisy lead pickup is a grain-of-sand sized red fleck on the back of the guitar. Completely unnoticable unless you carefully inspect the guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I usually dont jump around as much as most people when I play live (as in around large groups of friends) but this guitar could very well stick up to it. It doesn't creak at all. The strap buttons are very solid. I haven't dropped it yet and it seems my BC Rich falls off its strap all the time. Of course I would still play a gig with a backup because all guitar players should do that, but this guitar holds its own. The finish is very solid. // 10

Overall Impression: One day, about six months ago I was finished in History class so I pulled out a piece of paper and drew my dream guitar. It featured three humbuckers, a bigsby vibrato, and a rounded "Fender Mustang-ish" shape. I showed it to my guitarist friend and he said that they came out with a guitar like it and he showed me a coming-soon advertisement for the Ultra III. I fell in love and the rest is history. I played spanish guitar for 1 year and electric for 2. I own a BC Rich Warlock, a Boss Super Chorus, a DigiTech Bad Monkey and Death Metal, a Dunlop Crybaby, and two amps: a Crate 15 watt and an old 1980 something Roland combo. Plus a load of other accesories. Since this guitar is brand spanking new, I had little to no information to go by except the fact it is a Schecter, and matches my fictional dream guitar. The "best" guitars I have ever played are a Les Paul Black Beauty and a DXMG Jackson. The Ultra III is just as good as both, if not better. Well for my style anyway, but it can play all styles. If it were stolen or lost I would hunt down whoever did it and kill them. Simple as that. I love everything about it. This guitar oozes "1950's" The only thing I wish it could have are the star and moon inlays found on the ultracure model. If you so much as have a whim to buy this guitar, do so. You will not regret it. It is very stylish. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014