V-1 Hellraiser Review

9.6
reviews (3) 17 comments vote for this gear:
V-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: MAKETHEMSUFFER!, on january 05, 2009

Purchased from: americanmusical.com

Features: Well, I've never done a review before, but here goes nothing. This beast was made in South Korea, 2008 model. It's got 24 frets, 25.5 inch scale, rosewood fretboard, gothic cross inlays, (finished)mahogony neck and body, set-neck, EMG 81-T in the bridge and the 89 in the neck. I got the string-thru model (TonePros bridge, Grover tuners) in black. It has 2 volume knobs (one for each pickup), a tone knob, and a 3-way Switch. The only thing I would want different is fot the fretboard to be ebony, but the rosewood is fine. // 9

Sound: As you can probably assume, I play metal. I play it through a Line 6 Flextone III XL. I know the guitar won't reach it's full potential because I'm playing through a solid state, but this thing screams through it. The EMGs are excellent for harmonics and chugging, which most people already know. The 81 is great for rhthym playing and the 89 sounds excellent for the leads. The great thing is that both of the pickups are coil-tappable, so you could get really great cleans from the pickups as well. Overall, this guitar is aimed at the metalheads, but with the coil-taps I find it to be pretty versatile. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came set up great from the factory. It came strung with D'Addario 10s, which was great as that is my preferred gauge. The action was perfect for me. Right out of the box it felt great to play. As with most Schecters, the neck might be a little thick to some people, but it feels good to me. I honestly couldn't find any real flaws with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played a gig with this guitar, but it seems to me like it could withstand it. It has fairly high quality hardware and I don't see it crapping out any time soon. The finish seems good, but I think it could get scratched easily. Overall it seems to be a very reliable instrument. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is an excellent guitar for the money. It looks great, it sounds great, and it feels great. I would deffinately recommend this guitar for any metal or hard rock players. But of course, with as with any instrument, try before you buy. If you can't find this exact guitar in a store near you, try something similar like the C-1 Hellraiser models. // 9

V-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: LeoKisomma, on may 26, 2011

Price paid: £ 99.9

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Right then. This guitar was a blind luck buy as my Dad saw that the guy selling it had got the decimal place in the wrong point and had to honor the price he'd submitted, but don't worry because ebay compensated him. It is a 24-fret guitar with a jet black finish and laminated top I think. Tuners are not locked down by a tremolo but are some of the smoothest I've used, hand on heart. It is a Flying V style body with a string thru body style bridge. The pickups are both battery powered EMG active pickups with both having a volume control dial but sharing a tone dial. This is a hands down perfect guitar for metal styles of music but I've also found to my surprise that by using the rhythm pickup it's also quite willing to Switch to blues and jazz, which is the last thing I expected from a flying V. The one thing I will say is that all Flying V style guitars are almost impossible to play while sitting down, but that's not a flaw of this guitar specifically, as flying V's have been that way since the 50s. // 9

Sound: My styles vary from blues to jazz to funk to classical, but my heart lies in Classic Rock and Heavy Metal. This guitar simply was purpose built for these styles. With No extra effects added apart from a slight amount of compression, I put this through my Bogner Alchemist stack not to long ago and the quality and thickness of the sound it produced was phenomenal. It can easily suite other styles by fiddling with the controls but take it from me it's when the gain is cranked up high that this guitar really shines. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar feels very well set up to me. I'm used to slightly narrower necks but it's by no means impossible to play. The pickups feel pretty well set up. It's fully bookmarked and has all the proper routed settings that it should do. The only flaw with this guitar's setup other than the body style is the active pickups. They produce a fantastically thick and sharp sound that most passive pickups can't even graze, but the battery life is limited, which means that unless the battery is changed frequently, it is possible for a mid-song cut-out to occur. That's common to all active pickups though, so once again it's down to personal preference. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played this live at two gigs so far at high volumes with the gain cranked up and it's held it's ground like a spartan soldier. The hardware seems like it will last as long as the dead sea scrolls and the strap buttons are about as solidly laid as the rivets in tank armor. I know this because i've put a strap on it and played it vigorously live and I didn't feel like it was about to fall off, and it didn't fall off even without strap-locks. Live playing is very manageable with this guitar. The only drawback would be the limited battery life of the active pickups, but that's a consequence of the pickups used, and not a flaw of the guitar itself. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I used to have a Zakk Wylde signature Les Paul with active pickups of the same make fitted. That was about as good a metal guitar as I could possible imagine.....until I played this. I would truly recommend this guitar to any professional metal or rock style player, and I think that if it were lost I would have to get the same guitar again to get it's tone, which would take me a while but it would be worth it. My favorite and least favorite features would both have to be the pickups. They are simply brilliant, but I personally prefer passive pickups, as they don't run out of power during a gig; not that these will if properly maintained and the battery is constantly replaced. It's as simple and sharp as a butchers knife to me, and I truly believe that even at it's full 1000+ price tag it's worth more than that. A steve vai signature I played once was far wimpier than this, and that was 2 grand! // 10

V-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: JD Close, on february 23, 2011

Price paid: C$ 560

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: South Korean made, and ready to shred right out of the box, this guitar comes Standard with EMG 81-T and 89 pickups, a rosewood fretboard, a set neck, and beautiful gothic inlays. On the string thru Bridge model (rather than the V-1 FR version), the guitar comes equipped with grover tuners. I enjoyed all aspects of this guitar right away. // 10

Sound: I play through a Marshall MG full stack (2009), and even with a lesser amp (in my case, a Stagg 10 watt), this guitar DELIVERS. Personally, I play in a Death Metal band, and this guitar is perfect for anything heavy. I also play Jazz and Classical music, and I found that the coil tap feature makes it extremely versatile for all ranges of music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Right off the bat I'd like to say that this guitar has one of the straightest necks I've ever seen, and after loads of playing, has had no problems with fret buzzes or any other neck problems. The neck is fat, and takes some time to get used to, but feels great to play rhythms on, as well as screaming leads. The action is amazing. It feels great to tremolo pick on on, sweep on, and all the while not detrementing the ability to bend. My only concern is that sometimes the string thru Bridge is hard to restring, though I can't imagine the hell I would go through with the FR model. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I swear this guitar has nine lives, I play it for hours every day, and it still feels are great as when I opened the box. I've dropped it, hit it on things, and put it through weather changes like mad, but there is not a scratch nor dent in sight. This guitar will go through hell and back, and seem like brand new. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing anything from John Lee Hooker to Necrophagist, this guitar is a great match. This is the best guitar I've ever had in the price range, and I'm never letting it out of my sight... Now it's time to open up a can of shreddage, extra chunky. Thanks for reading \m/ // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014