Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Shine date: 04/10/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Shine: Telecaster
This model is a replica of the famous Telecaster and features 2 bright sounding single coil pickups, 1 volume, 1 tone and a 3 way switch. It has a good weight with a hard rock maple neck, the fingerboard is rosewood. The guitar is finished in either deep jet black or red and is a lovely looking instrument.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 9.5
 8.1
 8.6
 7.6
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 07, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar was made in China, not too sure of the year but it must be fairly recent. It has 21 frets that are small/medium size. It has a beautiful Tobaco Sunburst finish - I was amazed by this as I was expecting a cheap looking thing, my god was I wrong. Tele style bridge, came with a lead and some allen keys. // 10

Sound: This guitar is extremely versatile, I play punk, rock, metal and ska and it handles these no problem. I'm using it through a Marshall MG30DFX and it sounds beautiful. The bridge pup is very warm and bluesy, with some distortion you start getting some punk/ska type sounds. The neck pup is very bassy and great for metal. I was not expecting this kind of sound from a guitar that cost me less than a Encore! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly, no two inch high action (I'm looking at you Encore). The only problem was the plastic stuff they put over the pickguard was stuck around the neck and the neck pup, nothing a craft knife and a steady hand cant sort out. No rusted hardware, tuners are great but I have a comment about the pup selector. It is placed very close to the volume knob and the selector has a massive black end on it, sometimes when I go to change the pup my hand turns the volume down-could be a problem when playing live. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definately withstand live playing-no doubt about it. The hardware will last but you must buy strap locks as the strap pins are placed in a strange position (as it's a Tele) so without straplocks it just slides off. I wouldn't use this guitar without a backup, but no guitarist should ever gig without a backup. This guitar seems like it will last for a long time. // 8

Overall Impression: For any style of music, this is a great buy, it beats any guitar in its price range (Vintages, Squires, Encores, some Epi's). I've been playing for 3 years and have ownen Encore, Squire, Vintage and Epiphone guitars, this one beats them all. If it was lost or stolen I would definately buy it again, I love this guitar. My only dislike is the pickup selector. // 10

Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 10, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Firstly, I am very impressed with this guitar on the whole. It has a Telecaster style body in a beautiful Tabacco Sunburst finish (which impressed me greatly) and a perloid scratchplate. The neck has a rosewood fretboard and is of Maple with non-locking tele-style tuners, it has 22 standard frets. It has a passive electronic circuit with a volume control, a tone control and a three way selector. The guitar has two pickups, one single coil metal plate neck and a single coil bridge, both, I assume, made by Shine. Unfortunatly my guitar did not include any accessories but overall I am very impressed with the quality as I was expecting a cheap-ish copy, the guitar blends well with my friend's Squire Strats and is comparable to his Epi Les Paul. // 9

Sound: I mainly play Rock and Roll and Blues and this guitar suits both of those styles perfectly. The neck pickup can provide the low, warm tones of a blues rythem, to the bright, sharp lead solo of a rock song. The only problem I have with this guitar's sound is that both the pickups when used individually can cause some noise, but nothing a noise gate cant fix. Also the bridge pickup can sound a little muffled but it is still good quility sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: From the box I found that the guitar played well from the factory set up and, to this day, exept for a re-alignment of the bridge, I have not modified the action at all or the pickups for that matter as I was able to play with ease on the setup. One small thing I did notice was that when I removed the jack hole for maintainance a few pieces of sawdust fell out but it did not concern me. Another plus point was that my friend has owned two supposedly good quality guitars (Squire Strat, Epi Les Paul) both developed problems with their hardware while I have never had any issues. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I am completly confident that this guitar will withstand live playing due to its impecable maintianance record and its solidity. I think that the guitars hardware could withstand a beating before causing any trouble (dropped on a Radiator, no problems) and the strap buttons are sollid. When I am gigging in a few months I will not use a Backup guitar. The finish also has sustained daily playing for half a year without any visible wear. // 9

Overall Impression: In my year of playing this guitar has done me proud and held up against some accidental abuse. It matches my music very well and if it were lost or stolen I would definatly consider a replacement. There really is nothing I hate about this guitar and and my favorite feature if definatly the Tabaco Sunburst finish which compared to some other cheap companies is of very good quality. In the future I may consider replacing the pickups with american Tele pickups but the ones on there are just fine. // 8

More Shine reviews rating category latest review
+ SIL-50VS 7.7 Electric Guitars 03/13/2012