Paul Stanley Sovereign Special Review

manufacturer: Silvertone date: 05/09/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Silvertone: Paul Stanley Sovereign Special
Sculpted Bolt-On Neck, Rosewood Fret Board, 22 Frets, Scale: 24 3/4 in, Di-Cast Chrome Tuning Machines, Agathis Body, Dual High Output Humbucking Pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 7.7
reviews (5) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Paul Stanley Sovereign Special Reviewed by: Ace From Space, on may 04, 2004

Purchased from: Music123.com

Features: This guitar is one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen. It has a small but beautiful mirrored pickguard. It has a chrome tailpiece with a star cutout and Paul Stanley's signature engraved. It has a nice looking, mirrored tremelo guard and chrome knobs and tuners. It has a maple neck with a rosewood finger board. 22 frets (24 3/4"). It has three knobs (two volume, one tone) and a three-way pickup selector. // 10

Sound: It sounds great for its price! The bridge pickup gives off an incredible straight up wake-your-grandma sound but when the tone is turned all the way up you get a little added noise but its not a big deal. The bridge pickup is great for playing those Hendrix songs as it almost sounds like a Strat. Having them both switched on is nothing special but its nice. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The strings buzzed a bit when I first got it and the higher strings gave off a twangy sound at the first few frets. Doesn't bother me when it's plugged in though. The tuner for the G-string is a bit loose and twists easily so I don't suggest laying this guitar down... just set it on a stand. The ring around the pick-up selecter unscrews easily but again... not a big deal. The finish is wonderful and fingerprints go unnoticed. My one major complaint about this guitar is the balance. This thing is impossible to play standing up!!! It's also very heavy as well, but not as heavy as a Les Paul. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The finish is great! It will never wear off. I also feel like i could slam this guitar into a building and it would not even have a scratch. I would not use this guitar for playing live though because of the balance problem. The strap buttons are kinda small but nothing to worry about with a good strap. // 10

Overall Impression: This was the first electric guitar I ever bought and I was not educated on guitars at all! I simply picked out this guitar because it had the name KISS. I guess I just got lucky as this guitar is incredible for the price. As of right now I've been playing guitar for a year and own a Gibson '61 Reissue along with this guitar. I plug into a Rocktron Rampage 520DSP which is the best amp ever! If I were you and I was thinking about getting this guitar... I would probably try it with a strap first just to make sure your arms are long enough to play it standing up. // 8

Paul Stanley Sovereign Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 21, 2004

Purchased from: some dude I dont know

Features: 22 frets (I think), pearloid dots inlay, 3-way selector, 2 volume, 1 tone, 2 pickups (I'm a beginner so I don't know what kind), rosewood fret board. // 10

Sound: I really dont know what kind of music I play. I just play it. I'm a beginner and have just moved from acoustic to electric, so all I know are chords. I mostly play Yellowcard songs, and this is the guitar for it. I can say that there a very few-to no pick scatches. There is a little buzzing noise, but I think it's just my amp, cuz it doesn't happen on my friends. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is a beaut. The only problem I think is the balance. I'm not used to playing standing up but this guitar is kinda weight shifted so it's hard to play standing up, either that or I'm not used to it yet. Also, the strap comes off the knobs from time to time, and if anyone has any tips on how I can prevent that plz email me at free2b_me812@yahoo.com. Other than that this guitar is great! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have never played live before (hey I'm only 13. But I think it will withstand a live performance. I don't think I will need a backup because one I don't have back guitar and two) it looks like a reliable guitar. I just need to becareful with the straps cuz they come off from time to time. Can someone plz tell me how to properly secure a strap! Anyway everything looks like it's meant to last, and I think it has too because it has been with 3 people so far before me. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect guitar for beginers, intermediate and experts. Great sounding, great looking, and designed by a great man. I too only bought this because it had the name Kiss on it, got a great deal for it too! // 10

Paul Stanley Sovereign Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 28, 2004

Purchased from: Internet

Features: This guitar has 21 frets, with a Rosewood Neck. It has a sweet black, glittery finish, and the body style is unique. It has two volume controls and a tone control. The pickguard is mirrored and shows fingerprints easily. // 8

Sound: I play classic rock, and some acoustic/electric soft rock, and this guitar fits both styles. I can say that I prefer this guitar's tone without a touch of gain. I use it with a Marshall 100HDFX stack. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar worked very well straight from the factory, the only problem being the tone knob was very loose. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't preformed with this guitar, but I can tell that it'll take a beating. I hate the positions of the strap buttons. Maybe it'll just take some getting used to, I have no idea. The finish doesn't wear at all. I don't think I would use it without a back up, just for the fact that nothing bad hasn't happened to this guitar yet, and something usually does with most 200 dollar guitars. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 4 years, and I also own an Epiphone Slasher, Squire Strat that I junk with, and an Ovation Celebrity. This guitar is probably the 2nd best electric guitar I own behind the Epiphone. Like I said, the Position of the strap buttons sucks, so you'll probably want to drop it right away, but dont. I would suggest buying yourself a set of strap locks, but thats it. // 8

Paul Stanley Sovereign Special Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2005

Purchased from: somewhere in England

Features: I got this guitar, a Marshall MG series amp, gig bag, strap etc for just 250, a huge saving as the amp is worth at least 100, and RRP for the guitar was 200-250 (first hand). It has 2 high output humbucker pickups, small but great, looking mirrored scratch plate and a rosewood fretboard with 22 frets. // 8

Sound: I play all kinds of music from soft rock and light struming to heavy metal (i.e. Kiss, Iron Maiden my fav. kinda music). This guiatr suits this kinda music range bettter than any other guitar I've played in that price range. In my opinion it's sounds better than the Squiers, it has a fuller, richer an clearer sound. With much more flexibility. I normaly use just a 15 watt Marshall MG, the guiatar sound great on this. But I've tried on a 100 watt amp and it sounds amazing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar, there was nothing wrong whatsoever! There was nothing that needed to be changed, not a single scratch. The finish hasn't worn at all in the past year I've had it. It didn't even make a single mark when it fell 4 foot from a hanging stand on to a solid floor, then keeled over and into a wardrobe. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm only 13 so the only live thing I've ever done is "The Turning On Of The Xmas Lights" (how pathetic does that sound). And playing "Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer" isn't too demanding for most guitars. The finish is superb, the hardware is great quality, although I would have a backup if I was doing a gig, but thats only 'cause I'm a really paranoid person like that. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is deffiantly the best guitar in this price range that I've played. It suits all music that I play, it sounds great on clean, on overdrive it still delivers great tone and sound quality. Solos on this guitar sound great as well. I've only been playing for about a year, if I lost this guitar, then (after I slaughtered whoever was responsible, even myself) I would deffiantly get this guitar again. When I bought this guitar, I compared to the Squire range and this guitar was so much better than the (in my opinion) over-rated Squiers. Also it had a bit of competition with the Ibanez GAX series, but they did not look as good. The only problem with it is the weight! it is much heavier than any guitar I've played, (not helpful when your standing up with a bad quality strap digging the catch on my necklace into my neck waiting for them to fix the damn xmas lights). This is the best guiatr for any begginer to intermediate player for all kinds of music, designed by a great man. // 10

Paul Stanley Sovereign Special Reviewed by: Jackie Lawless, on may 09, 2011

Purchased from: Private Seller

Features: Another one of my Paul Stanley guitars. It was a factory second, so it's stamped "Used" on the headstock. It's pretty basic: -its body is sort of an asymmetrical SG with sharper horns and a pointed tail. -22 fret rosewood fretboard. -3x3 Chrome die-cast tuners. -2 Covered PSX high-output humbucker pickups. -2 volume, 1 tone with chrome dome knobs -3 way Switch [black]. -24 3/4" neck scale. -mirror pickgaurd/truss rod cover. -custom star tailpiece w/ paul's signature engraved // 8

Sound: I'm not really sure who makes PSX pickups, but they sound pretty decent. They can handle an assortment of tunings, so I've made this my Drop B guitar, and it suits it well givin the price of the instrument. I wouldn't mind it being a little brighter though, but its fine. You're definitely not going to use this for anything other than hard rock or metal. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory, it was brand new. Never opened. It was set up pretty good. I've never had to adjust it. Pickups are at the right level. The finish was great. It's a unique sparkly black. I've never seen another guitar with this finish. It sort of chips easily though in some spots like the angles. Strap buttons are poorly positioned. The neck meets the body at the 19th fret. So its a reach to the first few ones when you play standing up, but you can also play the highest notes easily and comfortably. // 7

Reliability & Durability: the tuners are pretty decent. They'll last a song or two. The tone knob was slightly loose aand is now extremely loose, and the input jack comes loose once in a while too. You can fix the jack, but the chrome dom knobs don't come off at all, so you can't really tighten it back on without a thin wrench. The strap buttons are very wide. So, they don't really need locks, but they're poorly positioned, one on the top cutaway, and the other on the lower back of the guitar. It doesnt't balance well. This guitar is honestly the backup guitar, but I've depended on it to make it my primary drop b guitar. // 7

Overall Impression: I play hard rock and heavy metal. This guitar fits the category. I own a Paul Stanley Washburn, a Flying V, a Custom Applause GTX23. This guitar is my second fav. I wish those buttons werent so awkward, but other than that, it's a great guitar, especially for the low price. I want another one that I can customize, because I really dig the shape and finish alot. // 8

More Silvertone reviews rating category latest review
+ 1484 Twin Twelve 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 04/18/2014