Affinity Fat Strat Review

8.3
 8.1
reviews (14) pictures (4) 40 comments vote for this gear:
Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2005

Features: The Affinity Fat Strat is the humbucking pickup loaded brother of the Affinity Strat offering all the same qualities as its kin with the addition of a meaty-sounding humbucking pickup. It features one humbucking and two single-coil pickups, a standard tremolo and 5-way switching for those great in-between tones. The Tele features two single-coil pickups and 3-way switching. Squier instruments are all backed by Fender, so why buy a copy when you can afford the real thing? Same specs as the Affinity Strat, but with a humbucking pickup in the bridge position for that extra punch. // 10

Sound: Suits any style you throw at it, really. The reason I prefer Strats over something like a Les Paul is that the Strat is much more versatile. With 2 single-coil pickups and a humbucker, and a 5-way selector, this guitar can change style halfway through a song if you want it to! Bright sound on high tone setting, fuller sound on low tone or humbucker setting. Sounds brilliant in overdrive! The neighbours don't know what's hit them! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Good action, and pickups etc etc. I've kinda screwed up taking off the plastic covering on the pickguard, but ah well. I've had it for 2 years, and no flaws discovered yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I'll play anything blues/jazz/classic rock - orientated, and this guitar suits it all. If it was stolen, I'd beat the angry sod that nicked it with a five-iron until he screamed for his mummy, or buy another one. Squiers are not just for beginners! Professional guitarists use them too! // 8

Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 17, 2006

Purchased from: Aroundabout Sound

Features: Your basic Strat: 21 frets, lovely thin neck with rosewood fingerboard. Medium frets in my opinion, alder body with Metallic Blue finish which is really hard to scratch, which is great. Tune-O-Matic bridge, passive electronics, 2 tone and 1 master volume control with a 5-way pickup. Tuners aren't amazingly stable, but good enough. Pickups: one amazingly sweet sounding Strat neck singlecoil, one bright mid singlecoil and a choppy humbucker at the bridge. I love the feel of this guitar, great for doing bluesy feely stuff on it. // 8

Sound: This suits my music style perfectly. Everyone knows that strats are great for jazz and blues, but with the addition of the humbucker you can Switch to hard-rockin' powerchords and lightning shred runs to in a nanosecond. I don't feel the need at all to change the humbucker, but the mid singlecoil has now given up and breaks up lot on clean, so I might need to get that sorted. Not very noisy, but I've played a Vintage V100 Les Paul which was a lot quieter. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I've lowered the action just for convenience's sake, really, but otherwise no probs apart from that mid pickup. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Very solid guitar. Will definitely withstand live playing, but I would have a backup just in case. The finish is great, really hard to scratch. // 9

Overall Impression: I play electric blues, some jazz, a lot of rock and a healthy dose of metal, and this guitar takes it all. It's really easy to play - very practical layout and a nice thin neck with double-cutaways. The addition of the humbucker is great. However, if it was lost or stolen I think I would save up for a Fender American Strat because their so much better. // 8

Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: svquakes4, on december 08, 2006

Features: I believe it was made in 2005 in Indonesia. 21 medium jumbo frets, c-shape maple neck, rosewood fretboard, solid alder body, looks like any other Strat at a glance. The trem bar is not very good, it detunes the guitar pretty quickly, as it is not locking. It has a humbucker in the bridge and two single coils in the neck and middle positions, with a 5-way pickup selector, one volume knob, and two tone knobs. The humbucker is better for blues and classic rock. This guitar is still not comparable to any Fender Strat. The guitar I bought came with a Fender Frontman 15G, which is really quite bad, but probably good for beginners. It also came with a gig bag, strap, cable, tools, everything to be expected from a starter pack. // 8

Sound: Very versatile, I play mainly classic rock and blues, with some alternative stuff too. It fits these styles better than the regular Affinity Strat, although that's not saying much. The guitar I bought came with a Fender Frontman 15G, which is really quite bad, very noisy at times and NO REVERB. On a Behringer V-AMPIRE LX210, it still sounds rather weak and dull compared to nicer guitars. Compared to my friend's regular Affinity Strat, which has a single coil in the bridge, the humbucker is louder, hotter, and can be more distorted. However it still isn't great, just better than it's counterpart. I replaced it with a different friend's Seymour Duncan JB 59 and it sounds slightly better. Once again, all of this can be satisfactory for beginners. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was pretty bad when I got this, but I made some simple adjustments to make it all right. However, the low E string buzzes almost no matter what. The pickups were adjusted fine, there were no electronics problems whatsoever. Almost everything was a tiny bit messed up (loose knobs, poorly cut nut, bad action), but it was all easily resolved. If you just ask your local guitar shop to prep it, it should be fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar does actually seem pretty durable, I don't know if I would gig it though. It definitely works well as a backup. The hardware is kind of low quality, but I plan to replace almost everything (pickups, tuners, pickguard, nut, bridge) and this guitar definitely is good for customization. // 7

Overall Impression: This is the perfect beginner's guitar. It is not going to fit any genre of music perfectly, but it definitely keeps you interested when you are learning the basics of guitar. I'm glad I got the Fat Strat as opposed the the regular Strat, the humbucker is a big improvement. If it were stolen, I'd be sad that I lost my first electric guitar, but I would probably just save up for a nicer backup, like a Standard MIM Strat or Telecaster or something like that. I know four people Who have had some sort of a Squier Strat, and they all upgraded to a nicer guitar within 6-8 months. All in all, this is definitely what you should get if you are just starting out and not ready to spend a whole lot of money. // 7

Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: Squirrel1993, on april 23, 2007

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia with 21 frets and a rosewood fret board. This guitar has the traditional start body with volume, tone and a five way selector. The great part about this guitar is the humbucker on the bridge section. It adds so much to the sound. // 7

Sound: I mainly play a lot of rock, mainly punk though. This guitar was great for a nice kicking rock sound when playing some old Green Day songs. I have an old Peavey Amp from the 70's so I personally don't think I'm getting all I can get out of this guitar but the nice thing it's a concert amp so I'm pretty sure the neighbors hate me... On high volume I also get a lot of feedback, which sometimes on some songs I do want. Only problem I find is that on my single coil pick ups in the neck position I get a lot of buzzing. But this guitar is very versatile. You can get a kinds of sounds out of it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar I've notice does have a few flaws. After playing with it for a while, something happened to my humbucker! it's slanted into the guitar having an end of it sticking out at an angle. Also I personally don't like the wood of this guitar, I perfer a maple wood instead, also, on the back of the guitar, it's maple wood but there's no glossy surface over it so it's stained all over! Very disapointing! I also find my cable input gets loose sometimes but that's normal for any guitar, but after looking back at it, there are some flaws that I'm really disapointed with! I also find with the Strat design, when I'm playing, I hit the volume knob so I constantly loose sound when palm muting, very annoying. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would survive live playing, my strap gets loose sometimes so I might want to have an extra somewhere. But I have to admit, after dropping this guitar, banging it against walls, you name it, it's survived pretty well. So this guitar is pretty durable. // 9

Overall Impression: Playing mostly rock, pretty good match only all the bands I listen to use Gibsons so I really want an Epiphone one of these days. For playing for about, a year I own just the basics, an amp, cable, picks, tunner, and a clean/overdrive petal so it's all good. If this guitar was stolen or lost, I'd want to buy another one, but maybe I might buy an Epiphone or at least a Strat with a lighter wood. I really like the durability and the added humbucker on this guitar, but I really hate the wood on this guitar. Since this is my first guitar, I have to say it's pretty nice but not the best best. // 9

Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: MEmmett, on january 19, 2007

Features: Made about 2002, the later Squiers are of a much higher quality than the older ones (disregarding the Vista range, they were on par with Fender in my opinion). Made in China, mine has lasted years, I have had absolutely zero problems with any of the feature so far! Nice simple design; 22 frets, fat frets, rosewood neck, 2 single coils and 1 humbucker, 2 tone pots and a vol pot, and a 5-way Switch. I don't know what material the body is made out of, probably a cheap material. All the features have been fine so far. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of instrumental, post-rock kind of stuff, but it also has to cut the mustard with vocals and drums. I play it through a Marshall VS65R (soon to be a half stack of some sort) and it sounds absolutely fine. Crank it up; play it out. The little humbucker is absolutely great, and I have as of yet experienced no difficulty or loss of power. Great variety from the humbucker; however, the single coils are pathetic and useless (I ripped em out) so I have never ever used them. If they worked well then you could get a great sound I expect, but seeing as mine have been awful since the day I got it I will probably never know! // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up pretty average, I don't like saying how it has been set-up because I believe set-up is very much a personal thing. The paint job is absolutely fantastic; definately 10/10 for that, I can throw anything at it, scratch it, scrape it and it still looks brilliant! The pickguard however, went all yellow but the was because of my own doing, so that doesnt't really count! I replaced it with a modified Tom DeLonge pickguard (cause of the one humbucker) but before that it's did it's job very well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar will most definately withstand Live playing, it could probably do a tour no problem, my one could anyway. I always had a feeling that I was very lucky and got quite a high quality one, because I have always heard Squiers are notoriously shoddy, but this one has been pretty much fine minus the pickups, any weird damage done has been done of my own tinkering! Strap buttons haven't been of any real problem. Definately a guitar that will last. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that this guitar could have a lot of tonal possibilities, I don't know though because I have only ever used the humbucker, but for what the humbucker does it sounds absolutely great. I have been playing for about 2 years, I own a Les Paul Special II and a Rickenbacker copy I inherited (don't shoot me, please) and I would say it is on par with the LP Special, in terms of playability, but then again they are very different guitars. If it didn't mean that much to me and it got stolen or lost, I would probably buy a Rickenbacker, which is what I'm saving for now (yes, it's a big step up I know). I don't really hate anything about it, if I wanted other things on it I would have probably bought a different guitar. Overall, a solid guitar for beginners or advanced players. Needs a good amp to play through though. // 10

Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: benoz11, on april 16, 2008

Features: I've been playing electric guitar for over a year now, and the Affinity Fat Strat was my first ever electric, and is currently my only one. I bought the Squire Affinity Fat Strat pack, which contained every accessory I could think of, from a tuner to a cloth. It came with a Fender Frontman 15R amplifier which has a nice clean and distorted tone. This guitar features two single coil pickups and one humbucker pickup. // 9

Sound: This guitar with the Frontman 15R makes a very nice sound in both clean and drive, and the 15R model amp features reverb and blocks out the "fuzz". This guitar can suit almost any style of music, my style is mostly rock/metal and I think this is a great guitar for beginners or experts alike. Even though it's not the best guitar in the world it is definitely a good guitar to start with. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no problems with the action, it is a great height and I wouldn't lower or heighten it. I have no problems with the pickups or the bridge. The only flaws with this guitar is that the volume knob occasionally gets in the way but that doesn't bother me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played this guitar on stage or in an immensely open area before, I have had this guitar for over a year, I'm pretty careful with it but I have bumped it quite a few times and I can't see any scratches or dents in it, so I think it is very durable, I haven' had to have anything fixed or changed so I'd say it's very reliable as well. I think I would take it to a gig without a backup, I'm not that paranoid. The finish on my Strat is a Metallic blue colour, which I like because it's shiny (I like shiny things). // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match to my style of music, I would prefer something more "metally" for my style like an ESP or B.C. Rich, but this guitar has got great sound, it's easy to play, the action is good, the hum-bucker is good, and it can suit almost any genre/style, I give this guitar a 9/10. If it were stolen I would probably buy something else, because I've had this for over a year and am saving for an ESP, but I would be extremely angry because I play this every day. // 9

Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: xvasmx, on june 25, 2008

Price paid: C$ 210

Purchased from: Cosmo Music

Sound: This is very versatile, I realy think if your looking for your first electric guitar you sohuld and buy this, also if your a beginner it's perfect. You have the single coil pickups nice and perect for that "twangy" sound, Lovely for blues, soft rock, to melodic rock. Then Switch to the humbucking pickups at the bridge for metal, hard rock, and heavily distorted stuff. You can get close to recreating stuff from Guns N' Roses, Beatles, Trivium, NirvanaHale, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones etc. It has pretty nice bright sound which I personally love. Since I play a lot of classic rock I was able to get a lot out of this as it is my first electric guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups can be fixed a little bit more, considering the bridge pickup sorta slanted after a while. I've had it for a year so far, only a few scratches but you can barely notice it just clean it up a bit and it's looks almost brand new. The pickup selector cna be heard a bit you cna hear the clicking but that doesn't bother me that much. The volume knob can be sorta noisy at aroun 8-10 but it doesn't creat that much noise. Also one mroe thing the input fof the cable gets loose easily but I guess it's commmon. It stays in tune well other than what I have had mentioned this guitar has no flaws. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar in a coupl gigs now It has held up pretty well and I didn't have backup. One for a Christmas Celebration thing it was awesome same with when I played it at my Grad it was also great. I can depend on it I'm sure I've also bumped it here and there and it's still good. The strap buttons are also ok haven't needed to tighten them. The finish is good has a few scratches but that's it. // 9

Overall Impression: Personally I like this guitars versatility I got a lot of great sounds from it. I was able to replicate songs if not close enough. I've been playing for around 2 years now, I play it through my Cube 15 and my Vox AD15VT and with my Vox it sounds amazing I've gotten some good Beatles sounds of it beautifully making them come alive for me. If this was ever stolen, I would be very dissappointed it was after all my first guitar but maybe I'll save up for a Fender next time. // 9

Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: nutinpwnsgibson, on september 08, 2008

Features: Mine was made in China, unfortunately I have no clue when it was made. 21 frets, maple C-shape neck. alder body, black body with 1-ply white pickguard, synchronous tremolo (doesnt't stay in tune very well at all, but at least it's there), HSS pickup configuration, passive electronics, chrome hardware, Standard die-cast tuners, there's also a cool 60's style headstock, and I don't think there were any accesories included // 7

Sound: I listen to heavier stuff most of the time, but I also like playing lots of blues, so this guitar does the trick. the humbucker at the bridge can handle a good amount of gain, and the SC's can get me a nice bright SRV blues sound. they also get nice sound for clean metal passages. I use this guitar with my IBZ10 amp (total piece of crap, saving up to get it replaced) without any effects, but occasionally I play it through a DS-1 and a Korg effects processor that a guy lets me borrow. on pickup positions 1, 3, and 4, it makes a pretty big amount of noise, but on 2 and 5 it's ok. the humbucker sounds pretty thick and heavy, for rock and metal, and the single coils give me the bright texas blues sound, so the guitar has a wide variety of possible sounds. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action wasn't very well set up, but I got that fixed. I play with pretty low action and there's quite a bit of buzz on the 1st fret on the B string but besides that there isnt much buzz and I'm gonna raise the bridge humbucker, but I still haven't gotten a chance to do that, umm the knobs have always been fine, I have it set up for 11's, the wood gets chipped easily, but it's a cheap guitar and I don't really give a flying f--k. I think that's really all there is to say about that. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I played Live at a concert at my summer camp once =D and nothing bad really happened to it, so I don't see why it wouldn't be able to withstand playing Live. the strap buttons are pretty crappy, I could put straplocks on it but it's not like I do tons of shows with it. the hardware doesnt't seem very high quality, sometimes the input jack kinda flickers off when I pull it a certain direction, but that might be my cable. the finish seems kinda crappy too but that's no reason to stay way from getting this guitar. // 4

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my metal style, and can also play pretty much anything decently. I've been playing bass for a bit more than a year, but I got this as my first guitar from my friend only 9-10 months ago, so I don't own any other guitars to compare this too, and I can't really explain why I purchased it since I didn't, I just got it from a friend. however, I still can say that before I got my guitar, I heard ppl bashing Squier, like "omg Squier n00bs zomg" so I thought that they were all total BS, but I'm very impressed, and I've played other squiers. a lot of people are like "zomg I need teh new guitar my Squier are teh crapzors 11". if ur one of those people, you probably just need to get it set up properly. so before you spend money that could be upgrading from ur spider III on a new guitar, just get the guitar set up, it will improve everything about it a ton. mine plays just as well as many high end guitars that I've played and sounds somewhat as decent. if mine was stolen or lost, that would suck because I've been saving up for a nice tube combo for a while, and I would have to spend that money. anyways, I would probably get another one or maybe a different low-end guitar like a RG2EX1 or something. it has very stable playability, my only gripe is that the tremolo bar stays in tune horribly, even when compared to several other guitars in the same price range. well, that's it, this is not too bad of a guitar when set up properly and it's very versatile, thanks to the humbucker in the bridge. // 9

Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 30, 2008

Purchased from: GuitarCenter

Features: It was made in 2007, in Indonesia. It has 21 frets regular frets on a rosewoods fingerboard. It has an alder body wood, with a maple neck, on a Stratocaster body style, and a 70's big headstock, which personally I really don't like. It has a poly. finish to it. it's bridge is a Standard Fender one, 2 Standard single-coil pickups on the neck and middle, and a Standard humbucker on the bridge pickup. With a 5-way selector you get a some-what "veristile" sound. // 7

Sound: I like playing rock/pyshcedelic/metal, big differance. It came with a Fender Frontman 15w amp, horrible, it has this annoying buzz to it. I mostly use distortion with it. If you use it in the neck pickup you'll get a "bright/plain" sound to it, middle is a more fuller "bright/plain" sound. Humbucker, which I use the most, you get a fuller sound to it. It is versitile in a much not so versitile sense... you can do a lot with it but it sounds horrible, when you do it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was ok, the string were regular Fender.9 string, which I hate so I switched and got Ernie Ball super slinkies, which are 30 times better. the pickups were ok, but they are starting to break just after the first year. Now I know why they are only 10 dollar single coil pickups. I got a new pickgaurd cause the one it came with was rubish. The tuners shakce after a while and the tremolo makes the strings out of tune really fast. Other than that laundry list it's ok. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I doubt a whole lot that it could with stand play hard in your garage, let alone in a Live performance. No the hardware deffinately wil not last more than a year and a half at most.strap buttons are probably the most sturdy piece of equipment on this thing. The finish is good if you don't do anything stupid with it, it would last. The fingerboard loses it's finish fast, so take care of it. // 5

Overall Impression: Like I said I play everything I can get my hands on. But it's pretty Standard beginner guitar, I don't recommend this to any longtime players unless you want to own every guitar in the world. Yeah I wish that guitarcenter had the Epiphone SG starterpack. If I lost this then I would deffinately get a new guitar. I wish it had better pickups, not that stupid headstock, and a floydrose tremolo would make it deffinatley worth more than $150.00 alone. They don't have a 6 and a half so I'll have to put a seven for over all. // 7

Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 29, 2010

Price paid: C$ 320

Features: Made in 2010 in Indonesia. 22 medium jumbo frets, rosewood fret board on a maple neck, synchronous tremolo. 1 volume and 2 tone controls, 5 way selector for 1 humbucker and 2 single coil pickups. Came with gig bag, strap, picks, cable, G-DEC Jr Amp, and allen keys. Keep in mind it is a starter guitar and cheap. // 8

Sound: I am a begginer, but am playing a lot of Beatles melody lines (not so much chords) After playing with the selector and tone knobs as well as with the amp settings it sounds beautiful with a clear tone. I play it through the Fender G-DEC Jr 15 watt amp that came with it. The amp can model many types of amps and effects. It sounds great on most of them, some are not to my taste but the sound it makes sounds true to what it is trying to model. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no complaints about the set up as purchased. No flaws that I can see, nothing loose, stays in tune really well (I don't use the tremolo). The factory plastic they put over the pick guard was not easy to peel off (some is stuck under the tone knobs but cannot be seen without a close look). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only had it a few months. The thing seems indestructable. My 7 year old is learning to play on it too. The strap is cheap, as is the cable so I expect they will need replacing at some point, but so far they are standing up to the task. I don't gig but given that my son is playing it too and he is not really gentle with it I think it would do very well. // 9

Overall Impression: I am playing 50s and 60s rock/pop and mostly melody lines. I have only been playing a year, I own a beat up Fender FC-100 accoustic which is my only omparison. If it were lost ot stolen at this point I would go get another right away. Maybe in a year or two I would invest in a slightly higher quality guitar. It took a while for me to find a setting where both the 1st and 6th string came in clearly through the amp, but it dialed in now so it sounds great. // 10

Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: Ninja0King, on december 06, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar Center Special Order

Features: Made in China. - 21 medium-jumbo frets, dot inlay - Maple neck, rosewood frets, polyurethane neck finish, large 60's style headstock - Chrome hardware, synchronous tremolo - Multiple finishes available (I got the Montego Black Metallic) - Strat body, Alder - 1 Volume, 2 Tone, 5 way selector blade - Non-Locking 6 in line tuners // 8

Sound: I play rock, metal, post-hardcore and hardcore punk, and it does a fantastic job with high gain and lows thanks to the bridge humbucker. I primarily play on a Line 6 Spider IV with high Drive and Gain. Thanks to the SSH setup, it is capable a great variety of sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory, the action was superb - It plays Ultra fast. The Pickups were not well adjusted, flat at a moderate hight, but they were easy enough to work with. The intonation was good right off. The overall construction is great, though I feel the tuning pegs are sub-par. Excessive bending or even mild tremolo use can bring it out of tune quickly, I would recommended finding quality locking pegs right off. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would absolutely withstand live play, I've had it for nearly a year now and drag it with me everywhere, and its stayed solid. The strap buttons are standard, but as with any guitar, I recommended strap locks. I wouldn't ever gig without a backup, but I wouldn't be too concerned about having to use one with this as a primary. The finish is fairly think, but has worn in some areas. Probably though, that has more to do with studded belts and bumping into things. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing 2 years, and its a fairly good match, though my playstyle would benefit from a 24 fret guitar with a floating bridge. If it was lost or stolen, I would hope to get another one, but may opt for something that would better suit me as I mentioned earlier. I absolutely love the action, its so quick to play, even when playing much "nicer" guitars, they just don't compare. I dislike the Tremolo, and how badly it abuses the tune, but its nothing new for synchronous tremolos, especially on squires. My favorite feature would have to be the bridge humbucker. Its a very unique sound for a Strat, and stands far above any other squire. Some people who have played it prefer it over their Standard Fender Strats. // 9

Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2012

Price paid: C$ 320

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: My Strat's an Indonesian, don't know the year. 21 frets, tremolo, master volume with tones for neck and middle, HSS, the usual. Came in a metallic blue finish that was just perfect! Pretty awesome! Mine came in a pack with the G-Dec Jr amp, a gig bag (more like a dust cover, get a better bag or hard case), cable, strap (but get locks, another strap, or both). Accessories are good for the first time you pick up a guitar, but if you want to pick it up a second time get some extras. Doesn't take away from the amp or guitar though. // 9

Sound: I play mostly puck rock and rock like Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Billy Talent, Muse, Guns N Roses, Sum 41. It can take everything! I can go from an acoustic sound to a distorted sound (like playing "Wake Me Up When September Ends" on one guitar) with no problem! I use a Mustang I amp with a Dunlop Crybaby Wah and a BOSS DS-1, and I used to use the G-Dec Jr that came with it. It's just amazing! I tend to leave the neck pup with no tone (Great for Guns N Roses solos like "Sweet Child"), the middle on 6 (On a clean it's great for Jazz), and the humbucker is open. Oohh, that humbucker is the best! Great sound for punk! I tried an Ibanez in store and this one got the sound better! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was actually not great at the factory, but it was my first guitar so I couldn't tell when I opened it. It needed its frets dressed, the action adjusted (but I play with a high action so for normal players it would have been perfect), and the intonation was a little off, but it was all set up for me and it plays just beautifully. A little buzz, but barely noticeable when plugged in. The guitar itself was in perfect condition, a little dirt on the stock but a good cleaning and it was perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is amazing! It's like a cockroach, but in a good way. It sill survive anything! I've been playing this guitar for over a year now and there's only one ding on it from when I let my brother use it. I've dropped it, banged the headstock, swung it into things, and it's almost as though the wall I hit should be afraid! It's my only electric so I don't have a backup, but I wouldn't bring one if I had. I gig a few times a year, and it takes it in stride! Strap buttons are solid, but I always use locks. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is the perfect match for me. I'm saving up for either an Epiphone G-400 or a Les Paul Standard, but I would still play and even gig with this guitar! I played for almost a year with a small acoustic, and this blew it out of the water! If it were stolen I'd track the thief down with a SWAT team (Mostly because it's my first guitar and I really love it, but also because it's an awesome guitar). I wouldn't get the pack again though, just the Affinity Fat Strat. I love the versatility of this guitar, mostly from the variety of pickups. If I could I'd rate it an 11! If you're a beginner, this is the guitar for you, hands down. If you're a pro, then you need this as a spare guitar to throw around at gigs. It'll take anything that comes its way, including me! // 10

Affinity Fat Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2012

Price paid: C$ 180

Purchased from: International Musicland

Features: - 2009 Indonesian made. - 21 frets, medium jumbo, rosewood fretboard - Neck is only 1.61" at the nut, smaller than a Standard Strat neck - Solid alder body with polyurethane finish, mable neck - Synchronous tremolo bridge - 5 way selector, 1 volume, 2 tone controls - Single, single, humbucker I bought it as part of the Squier Stop Dreaming and Start Playing Set, so it was $300 total with a G-Dec Jr Amp, gig bag, picks, and wrench for the truss rod. // 7

Sound: I play mostly Beatles, and it fits some songs very well, others not so much. I bought it mor my son as a starter guitar and it suits the different genre of songs he was learning. We play it through the G-Dec Jr amp that came with it, and a Vox VT20+. It has a range of sounds. The humbucker has a very fat sound, the singles give off a great clean sound and with the 5 way switches you can get a lot of sounds inbetween. The volume does seem lower than other guitars though but I am not sure if that is only my Affinity or all Affinity Strats. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up at the store before being put on the floor, so I do not know about the factory set up. The guitar had no flaws. Everything is snug on the guitar and nothing rattles. As mentioned above, the neck is thinner than the standard 1.65" neck of other Strats (it is only 1.61") but otherwise it is well put together. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar could withstand a direct missile strike. It is as solid as any guitar I have seen. It was bought for my 7 year old son and took some abuse, yet there is barely a scratch on it (can't say the same for the hard wood floor). I suppose you could gig with it, but it is a starter guitar in my mind, and as such why would you be playing it at a gig? However it has taken a great deal of abuse over the years and stands up really well. // 10

Overall Impression: I have heard that Squier Affinity Strats are hit and miss. Some are great, others are poor in quality. Mine is amazing. I played some MIM Stratocasters in the store, and am hard pressed to tell the difference between mine and the more expensive ones. But I did play a few other Affinity Strats that showed the difference readily in quality. It was lucky I played this one first, otherwise I might have bought something else. I bought it as a starter guitar for my 7 year old son. He has moved on to an Epiphone Casino but I still play this guitar from time to time, mostly playing single notes rather than chords. I have a few other guitars (Gretsch Pro Jet, EJ-160E, Fender FC-10, Casino). While the Affinity Strat is not my favourite, it is by no means the ugly sister. It has a great deal of versatility, and its size makes it easier to transport. The small neck and body make it a perfect guitar for kids, but I find the narrow neck a liability for my fingers when playing chords (lack of talent or experience I think), especially after switching from say a 1.68" neck. But it does teach you to be precise. I wish it came with a standard width Strat neck though. However for my son it was ideal. If lost or stolen, I would not get another, not because it is a bad guitar, but because I would move up to an American made Stratocaster. Compared to the other starter guitars out there, I found this particular guitar to be of the best quality. It holds its intonation great. I unscrewed the tremolo arm so I do not know how it holds its tuning if you use it alot, but otherwise it stays in tune very well. My son loved it for the first 18 months and then moved on to an Epiphone Casino. // 8

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster Custom 9.6 Electric Guitars 08/20/2014