Affinity Strat Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 08/07/2003 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Affinity Strat
Contoured hardwood body; rosewood or maple fingerboard; 21 frets; 3 single-coil pickups; 5-way switching; 1 volume, 2 tone controls; single-ply white pickguard; tremolo.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.4
 Features: 7.3
 7.2
 7.4
reviews (93) pictures (5) 149 comments vote for this gear:
Affinity Strat Featured review by: UG Team, on august 07, 2003

Features: 22 Frets, 3 single coil pickups, 5 way pickup selector, 2 tone and 1 volume knob, string through body. // 6

Sound: The good thing about the three single coils mean this is an incredibly versatile guitar, and providing you have the effects or amps that suit your style, the Strat can cope with almost anything, whether it is country or metal. The major thing people overlook about this guitar is its potential as a custom guitar. The pickups are simple to replace with better ones, scratchplate, bridge and neck can all be replaced and modified with little knowledge (useful for someone like me). The squire I have cost 40 second hand, and was black with a white scratchplate. I replaced the scratchplate with a pearloid one, and I messed around with the pickup configuration, but now they are in the original place, although I intend to replace them with some closed singles for a higher output. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar does have quite a few flaws but I have ripped it apart so many times it may be my fault. As I said before, whatever is wrong with this guitar can be adjust with minimal trouble or cost. The only problem I have had that I have had a lot of trouble rectifying, is the action and intonation. The strings loss the tuning slightly around fret 12, but as I said, it's probably my fault anyway... // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could probably survive a nuclear blast, but even if it didn't, who cares? It's bloody cheap. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my first solid body electric and it's fantasic. It's the cheapest best guitar, and with a some clever customisation, it could rival the real Fender strats. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: phaethon, on september 25, 2003

Features: 22 frets, volume, 2 tones ,5 way selector, whammy bar,3 single coil pickups. maple fretboard and my one is a brown(tobacco?). Sunburst. String through body bridge meduim jumbo frets included in my package were a Fender frontman 15amp a tutor booklet and video and it was already strung. // 10

Sound: I play mostly rock and metal and it works well nice sound has a bright sound although the 9's strings proberly don't help that loads of variety of sounds given the 5 way pick up selector. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: for what it cost the finish is excellent the pickups didn't need any adjusting nor did the bridge no finish flaws at all on my model and the controls felt secure and sure to the touch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: this guitar would survive armageddon everything is strong and if the worst happened and it got stolen or damaged it wouldnt break my heart to pay for another one the only thing I have changed is the strap (i've put stoppers on). // 10

Overall Impression: All in all a brilliant first guitar. // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: kiefermatot, on may 27, 2005

Features: This guitar isn't all that great. I bought this for about $400.00 and it came with a Fender Frontman 15G amp, a case, a pack of extra Fender strings, a few extra Fender picks, Fender tuner, Fender head phones, strap, a Fender patch cord and a few other things. It's a pretty good setup for beginners, but it wont last long. I've dropped mine a few times and it has cracked in half. It's a 5-way tone selector and has two tone knobs and one volume. It has 21 jumbo frets. This guitar has lasted me only a few months, it does not stay in tune very well. // 4

Sound: I play mostly metal and punk: Metallica, Sum 41, CKY, Slipknot, all that good stuff, and this guitar doesn't sound all that great. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar gets banged up pretty easily. // 4

Reliability & Durability: My guityar has fallen to the floor evertime I've used my strap, the strap buttons are horrible. I would never use this at a gig even if I did have a backup. But, the hardware seems pretty solid. // 2

Overall Impression: I wouldn't buy another one of these if it were lost or stolen or even bother to look for it. It's a good deal on it for everything that comes with it though but I wouldn't buy another one. // 4

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2005

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

Features: I wanted a inexpensive but decent guitar, and I think I found the perfect guitar, the Squire Affinity Strat. 22 Frets, Black Strat style body, white pickguard. There are quite a few controls for a "beginer guitar", there is: the main volume, 2 tone knobs (neck and other pickups), 5-way pickup selector. Who says that things "Made In Indonesia" are bad? // 10

Sound: I play classical, jass, and power-pop music. I don't have any problems getting the right sound. I'm not using any effects but I am using a Fender Frontman 15G. The noise on this guitar is fine. It buzzes quite alot and cracks alot when your not playing though. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I'd say that this guitar was perfect when I got it. The only thing that I wasn't happy with was that the plastic covering that covers the pickguard got stuck underneath the tone knob and makes a "scratching" sound, but that is my fault for not taking it off properly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand live playing? The question should be. "Can the strings withstand live playing?" This guitar is built like a tank. Strap buttons are great. I am planning to use this guitar at a gig very soon. I doubt that this thing will break. I'm more worried that I'll break a string. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about a year. I've been playing acoustic that whole time and I though that it was time for an electic. I think I couldn't have made a better choice with this guitar. I love the shape of this guitar. It's lightweight and just plain fun to play. If I lost this guitar or it got stolen, I would purchace this guitar again, no questions asked. One thing I wish I could change on it would be it's colour. I have a black body so I wish it had a black pickguard or black pickup covers just so it wouldn't look like your everyday n00b guitar. // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2010

Price paid: C$ 284

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Features: I couldn't find the appropriate category on here so I picked the closest one. This is a Affinity Series Strat HSS package with a Fender Bullet 150 amp and accessories. -Not sure what year it was made -Made in Indonesia -Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard and 21 frets -2 single coil pick-ups and 1 humbucking pick-up -1 volume, 2 tone, 5 way selector -Package included Fender 150 amp with dsp effects, cable, gig bag, strap, tuner and picks // 10

Sound: I'm learning Blues and Rock so the guy at Tom Lee pointed me towards this guitar for it's versatility. He was 100% right. Aside from the guitar itself having a 5 way selector, the amp that came with the package has many sound options. 15 to be exact. For a beginner like myself, you can play with any style of music with this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, I'm a beginner, so I had to do a little bit of research on how the action should be and if it was good. It's amazing what google will do for you. After reading about set up and viewing pictures from websites, this guitar seemed to be pretty good out of the box. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have a tech fine tune it but I doubt he would change very much. Standing a few feet back, it looks perfect. No flaws on the body and everything is lined up nicely. The only issue I have is that some of the pick guard screws are put in slightly crooked. Grab a screw driver and fix it. Unless the fine folks in Indonesia stripped the threads. A little more care assembling at the factory and I would have given a 10. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The tuners on my guitar could be better. I need to tune just about everyday which is a pain in the ass. It's easy enough though with the electronic tuner it came with. I may put some locking tuners on in the near future. Everything else is solid. Even when upgrading, I think I'll keep it. I've heard of people changing out the pick ups and humbucker with an upgrade and they seem very happy with the results. Would I replace if stolen? No. I would just spend the money on an upgrade. The finish will last as long as you take care of it. Toss it around and you'll damage it just like any other guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: Remember that this is from a beginner's stand point. One thing that bothered me was reading reviews on these Squier Strats and people were comparing these to Fender Stratocasters and other mid to high end guitars. Of coarse it's not going to measure up to that kind of competition. It's a beginner guitar and it is what it is. I've looked at other beginner packages and there's a lot of garbage out there. This is not one of them. Bottom line is that it sounds good, it's versatile and reliable. Everything a beginner needs. // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Aquamenti, on february 02, 2011

Purchased from: Private deal

Features: In short, this is about right for the price I paid. Cheap a Squier as any, volume and two tone knobs, 5-way pickup selector, the works. The tone knobs do work, you'll have to turn down gain/drive/etc on your amp if possible, to notice the difference though. The good about the guitar's constructional features is that it's easily customizable. It's neck is perhaps surprisingly comfortable, but the frets are a disgrace. My guitar also has a rosewood fretboard which ruins most finishes and color schemes you could think of. // 6

Sound: The frets as mentioned above, ruin this. I don't use the stock pickups but they were alright. The frets ruin a clean sound, especially on the lower strings. If you're looking for lots of gain and bright sounds, this probably won't bother you as much. The guitar sound doesn't have terribly much variety, you could make most use out of it by playing punk, rock, or any combination of the two. I play new wave and this guitar barely satisfies my needs after playing for a year. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has no major flaws, you can customize literally everything, if you have the money. Too much noise? Buy a new neck. The sound sucks? Buy new pickups. Don't like the color? Repaint it! Your choices are endless with this cheap guitar. I personally can't imagine myself f--king around with an expensive guitar. I think the guitar, in general, is well put together. It's definitely worth its price, although it probably won't make you a full career. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haha. Okay, the strap buttons suck. They can last a gig though, and they rarely fail you during playing. Other than that, I have to follow what most people have said the guitar's construction could probably support four rhinos. Minor damage is to be expected. If you want my advice, embrace it. This is a cheap guitar and will probably look really cool and retro after years of abuse. If you don't want that, have it repainted. The guitar can easily be repaired or upgraded. // 10

Overall Impression: As said, I play mostly punk and new wave. Since I've been playing the electric for a year, and this is my first and only electric guitar, I'm so far quite satisfied. Besides, I paid so little for it. It's definitely worth its price. Also, it'll probably last a lifetime. The strings, for sure, won't, but the body will. I'll surely recommend this to all new players, but if you're looking for a second or third electric guitar, I suggest you save for something bigger. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: thepagesaretorn, on august 01, 2005

Sound: I play a variety of things from poppish love songs (gotta impress the girls) to hardcore/screamo/metal/etc. This guitar does well with the softer stuff but it doesnt give the crunch I like from Ibanez guitars (or anything w/better pickups for that matter). I use a 25W Kustom amp (model KGA10-NA), but sadly no effects. It get's really annoying when I'm playing something like Metallica and I accidentally flip the selector too far and then it hums like crazy, but when the overdrive is off it sounds decent. The rosewood fretboard gives it a really really bright sound which gets in the way of playing harder stuff, especially when the pickups arent made for that either. I love this guitar though because once you get some miles in it it becomes a good practice guitar (the tone is decent so if you can play well with this you're gonna sound great in anything else). // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It's like three pieces of wood. I've dropped this thing tons of times and the most damage it has is a small chip on the bottom of the body. Pretty much this thing doesnt break. The action is fine, no buzzing, not too high. One minor problem I have with it is the high e string sometimes can be popped out of place at the top of the neck. Sustain is okay and the tuning pegs are good tho, they seem to hold the notes just fine. Overall, I'm really pleased with how durable this guitar is. I'd rate it a little over 4 but since I can't do that. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said I play pretty much everything. It worked for me as a starting guitar; I'm getting the Ibanez GRG but I think I'll still be using this guitar b/c it's strong and I can bang it up w/o hurting anything. I've been playing for about a year and a half, but I play about 6 to 8 hours a day so I feel pretty comfortable around guitars. I love the durability, I hate the hum and the fact it doesnt have 24 frets to do my steve vai solos. I also wish it had at least a humbucker for the bridge pickup so that I could bust out heavier stuff but I think this one's a keeper. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: fridge_raider, on september 26, 2003

Features: The guitar has 21 smallish frets, that would be ideal for the beginner, a five way pickup selector Switch, and one volume and tone pot. The tone pot makes absoloutley no difference to the sound at all, It may as well not be there. It has three single coil pickups, and came with Fender Frontman 15G, strap, lead, pick etc. The pick supplied was very poor, I suggest anyone buying this guitar invests in a new one. // 6

Sound: The sound of the pickups is very noisy, with lots of buzzing and feedback, and the volume pot makes a lot of noise when moves (crackling etc.) However, they guitar can make quite a range of sounds, from muffled, heavy rhythm to cutting, bright lead. I play mostly rock, blues and metal, and it handles all three styles and more competently , and is also great for Red Hot Chili Peppers style sounds, such as the tone on Scar Tissue. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was quite low, ideal for the beginner. The strings don't all line up with the pole pieces of the pickups, but this is a minor flaw and one that is to be expected with a guitar at this price. The finish is quite poor and crack, chips, dings easily when tapped relatively lightly. The feel of the guitar is fantastic though, and the neck fits in your hand like it grew there. It is very easy to play and the higher frets are easily accessible. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The durability is very poor, as the volume pot has come lost and the finish take dings easily. The strap buttons don't hold the strap securely and the string trees can become lost. It's one for the bedroom. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall, this a fantastic guitar for beginners, and feels great and easy to play. However, the build and finish quality wasn't always good and the sound isn't too impressive. But if your a beginner looking for an electric thaty feels good, looks the part, and has a low price tag, get the Squire Affinity Strat. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2003

Features: 21 medium or so frets frets, 5 way selector, 3 single coil pickups. Mine has a Torino Red finish with a white pickgaurd. The tuners are not the greatest, but mine seem to keep in tune for a decent amount of time. // 8

Sound: My music style is influenced by a wide range of arists. Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Credence Clearwater Revival, ect. This guitar fits most of those. It sounds pretty good. All the pickups play well, none of them have a flat sound. The tone controls can help you eith the richness of the sound. The only thing that I wish I could fix is the hum that it gives off, but the crappy 10 watt amp doesn't help the hum and actually makes it worse. I have found that on better amps it sounds just fine. I like the sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: THe guitar was set up well when I got it. I have had no problems with it. The pickups sounded good, especially for the price that I paid for it. Everything was well routed. No flaws to speak of. // 8

Reliability & Durability: My guitar has only had one problem with it, and that was when a wire came loose near the insert slot in the guitar. The pickups still sound good. Strap buttons have never gave me a problem. I can depend on mine. As far as gigging I have only played on a few occasions but during jam sessions with my friends it serves me well. I think the thing would live through a war. This thing is pretty tough. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar fits me well. I know it isn't the best guitar but for what it cost it was a good deal. I have been playing seriously for a year and a half or so. This was the first electric I got. I like this guitar and will probably use it for a while. I am thinking about upgrades on tuners and pickups so I can make it better, but as it is it is still pretty good. I think it is a very good guitar for beginners to intermediate and even some of the better players. I like my Squier. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 01, 2004

Features: This guitar is amazing, with 3 single coil pickeups, 22 frets and a rose wood finger board this guitar definetly competes with the Fender Strats. The guitar has a very simple disighn with finishes like navy blue, red, white and black (what I have). // 10

Sound: Wow, what an amazing sound, especially for the price! Ive played Fender Strats, Gison Les Pauls and I gotta say It definetly competes. With the five way Switch you can play any kind of music and sounds great with distorsion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I like all the colors of this guitar that it comes in. The guitar is easy to customize such as switching pickguards and adding different pickups to make it sound exacly the way you want it. The pickups were adjusted very well. There was no flaw on this guitar at all! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Throw it off the roof, bash it on the ground, any beatings like that won't hurt this guitar. The guitar is sooo durable yet so light for all the jumpin around you want to do on stage. I would definitely not need to use a backup guitar for gigs! This guitar has got 5 way switchin so you completly change the sound in a second. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall im am sooooooo impressed. This guitar has everything you could want in a guitar thats under 300 bucks. Great for playing live, great for jammin...the Affinity Strat dilivers great performance with anything you throw at it! // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2004

Features: My guitar was made in China, has 22 frets, has 2 tune knobs (which don't really do anything)and one volume knob (wich got loose after one month of somewhat intensive practices...). The fretboard feels pretty good,the neck fits my hand well and it's comfortable. This guitar came with a Squier SP.10 amp that has very crapy distortion. It also came with this cheap bag, a tuner that doesn't really tune, some picks that I'm not really in love with, this thing that was supposed to be a strap but i don't think it is because if it was it wouldn't have riped after the first time I hung the thing on. It also came with a very short cable, a tremolo bar(that got stuck inside of the little hole and messed it all up. Now I can't use it anymore). // 4

Sound: Well, when i plug it in an amp that's not mine with distortion or whatever it has a cool sound i can play punk, rock, metal,etc... When it's clean i can even get a pretty cool jazzy sound. It can be agressive or really "calm" it just depends on how i play it. This guitar is kinda rattlely and noisy when played on my crapy amp, but as i said it sounds good on other amps. The guitar in itself is good the only thing that keeps me from getting the best from it is the amp. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was kinda well put together, the only thing I don't really like is that I wanted to peel the plastic off but some of it was stuck under the volume and tune knobs. I had to re-adjust the bridge, the pick ups came kinda high but it's ok... average... // 6

Reliability & Durability: I see this guitar kinda like a a kid's favorite toy. It's durable not the best but good for having some fun at home (playing those christmas caroles around the fire with the family maybe...:)). The hardware will probably last forever however the finish will get screwd up if you don't take good care of it. I think the strap buttons are ok when used with a decent strap. I could definitely see someone playing this guitar on a jazz club or something but for rock and heavy stuff like that I can't even picture it. I could use it as a backup if Kurt Cobain's agressiveness took over me and made me break my two best guitars, I guess... // 6

Overall Impression: I play a little bit of everything. This guitar is good for church (even though I don't use it for church)... I don't own any othe gear (lack of money) but I play my friend's Gibson Les Paul regularly and when I go home I get kinda upset because it's a heck of a downgrade... If it was stolen I would get very mad because it's the only guitar I own and overall it's not the worst guitar in the universe however I would buy a REAL Fender Stratocaster or maybe a tele. to replace it. Oh! And definitely a new amp. What I love on this guitar is the neck that fits very comfy and the fret board that just feels good... I didn't really compare this guitar to any other affinity because it's just a waste of time I mean it's not a original Fender Strat but it's still made by Fender... I know this review was kinda in between... I mean i don't hate this guitar... I think if you wanna learn you should buy it because you're not gonna get a learning guitar for this price. It comes with a crapy amp though, but for beginers it's a good begining. If you're more experienced like me... Just don't. Go buy a Les Paul... // 6

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: sblmnlmssg, on march 10, 2004

Purchased from: Guitar Center Denver

Features: Made 2001 in the wonderful CHINA (sarcasm) has 21 frets, laminated top, 3 contols are given (well four with pickut selector) with useless tone nobs and a single volume contol. It has three single coil pickups with a maple/ neck and a satin finish on the high gloss finish on the body not sure the exact name of bridge comes with a whammy bar non locking tuners unknown maker of them though. Rosewood neck only accesorys were some allen renches and a whammy bar. // 8

Sound: I play a wide range of music and styles mostly metallica and alternative stuff. The Strat is good but I've played better guitars(PRS). I use a 40 watt amp with multiple effects including a supper shorus, super over Drive, cry baby q zone and a dime cry baby frm hell it makes a guitar with cheep pickups sound better. It get a lot of nasty feedback (BUZZZZING) but the sound isn't bad if you like a high less rich sound. Can't really make alot of sounds has tone nobs and volume but the tone nobs do nothing. It's really not a bad guitar for a beginner. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: For the most part the factory settup is good from the factroy I screwed around with the pickups to get better sound. Pickups were well adjusted had a long range of adjustion as well. The only real flaws are the pickups are not centerd right onder the strings except the bridge pickup. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't play this guitar live it just doesn't give the right sound unless you have really good pedal configuration and lots of money to blow on a god amp. It's built to last except the strings tend to break alot but its prabably my stylr of playing. The finish dings and chips very easily the strap buttons are very solid and sturdy. I guess I can depend on it but it should only be a backup guitar. I would only use this guitar if I had to on a gig, it's a good practice guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression is somewhat pleased it was my first guitar so I didnt exactly know what I was buying when I did disapointed theere was only 21 frets wouldve liked more. It only matches some of the styles I play I've been playing for a bout 5 years now and I own a number of pedals chords tuners and amps as well as guitars if this guitar was stolen I wouldn't buy another squire but maybe the right kind of Fender I compared it to a bc rick warlock but a friend told me they suck so I didn't buy that and it looks like its from hell. I wish it had more equipment and better pickups. If you are looking for a good solid guitar for beginners go ahead and buy it but if you're experienced save some moeny and get a worthy guitar for a gig that will turn heads. // 6

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Features: If you beginner and want a Fender Statocaster, but don't want to pay 350, there are literally dozens of Strat rip offs. Squier is part of Fender, the "budget" part. I got this as a package with a Squier SP-10 amp, lead, plectrums, cheap PVC bag. It has all the looks and features of a real Strat. It has the same action, just a worse build and sound quality. // 8

Sound: Stratocasters have always been known to be lacking in tone. And this is a cheap Strat. It's not going to sound pretty. Stratocasters are for people more concerned with image than sound quality. And it looks identical to a Fender Strat. This guitar is only for beginners who can't even tell if something is good sound quality and barely tell if it's in tune. Don't play it anywhere with filament lights if you don't have a noise gate, it'll buzz. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The action's pretty alright, that's something that's not really differnt from a Fender Strat. I think Squier guitars are simply Fender factory rejects. The hole in the body for the neck attachment wasn't the right size, ther's a hole on one side that's about 2mm wide. The lead it came with was dodgey, the SP-10 amp I've had in pieces, the strap lasted about 10 seconds before the small weight of the guitar tore the hole out on one side, the plug for the lead bent and the lead was loose, I've had to bend it back twice; oh and the whammy bar snapped in the bridge straight away. managed to get the piece out of the bridge with a drill w/o damaging the bridge, but now the whammy bar doesn't fit snugly in the hole. All round a porly made guitar. Nothing here is too serious though. The only thing that actually affected my basic ability to play was the buzzing; the rest was just limiting me to no whammy and sitting down while I play it. // 1

Reliability & Durability: this guitar won't last, but at least its cheap to repair or replace. If this is your first guitar, by the time the guitar needs replacing, you will have outgrown it and can then splash out on a more expensive guitar. // 3

Overall Impression: I play quite a few genres. blues rock, classic rock, a little bit of '80s rock, some fingerpickin' flamenco even. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. The bottom line for beginners: in spite of all I've said so far, it's a good beginner's guitar. I say this because its cheap, easy to play, pretty well rounded, easy to tune, easy to change strings (fancy guitars can be a nightmare). I bought this guitar because I was a beginner. It is the best beginners guitar around. There's no point in getting a plywood les paul knock off cos the only thing a les paul has going for it is tone and that's lost in the plywood. That only leaves Strat lookalikes, so you might as well get the official one. "Squier by Fender." If I were a beginner looking to buy a beginners guitar again, I'd still buy this one. // 6

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: punkerkid!79!, on april 24, 2006

Sound: Jack of all trades, master of none. Having a five way pickup selection means this guitar can play pretty much anything. It will play metal, classic rock, punk, blues, you name it. Unfortunatley it doesn't cater specifically to any type of sound in particular. Personally my favourite music is just rock (Kiss, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Deep Purple etc) and this guitar can handle most of it. There is a lot of excesive buzzing however. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is again an all rounder. Sure it hasn't got the flash appearance of the SG or Warlock but it's a sturdy strong guitar. Mine has taken a few hard knocks in its time and only a couple of dings to show for it. But it doesn't have a particularly nice feel or ace looks. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a good sturdy reliable guitar. It will last throughout the ages, however you might have to tighten up the input once a month or so. I would not gig with this guitar solely because it sounds as bad as my singing but otherwise I think it would do the job well. // 6

Overall Impression: I have played this for about six months now and I'm ready to upgrade (Les Paul). I would not buy this guitar again because I know it is not the bees knees but it is probably the best starters guitar around. I love this guitars versatility but if you know how to play get something more suited towards your personal style. If it had better pickups I would think twice before upgrading. // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 02, 2007

Features: This guitar is built for a beginner. There are 21 jumbo frets with a rosewood fingerboard. It's a solid top, laminated black. The body is also rosewood and it is very heavy. It is a Squier Stratocaster and I bought it as a first guitar not knowing how it was. There is one volume knob, a 5 way Switch, and 2 tone knobs that are absolutely useless because they don't do anything. Their are 3 single-coil pickups and Squier tuners. It came with a crappy 10-watt SP-10 amp, a crappy cable, a tuner, picks, and a gig bag that doesn't help. // 5

Sound: I usually play a lot of classic rock like Randy Rhoads, Eddie Van Halen, Michael Schenker, and ACDC and this guitar is ok. I usually use it with a Boss Distortion Pedal and the pedal is good but the guitar has a lot of fuzz associated with it. It is very noisy. It sounds pretty good clean, but the tone knobs do nothing and if they werent their, the only sacrifice would be that the guitar would look weird. The guitar can make a lot of sound (trust me because I'm saving for a new guitar, I've had this for 4 years as my only guitar) but it doesn't fit my needs. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: I guess that this guitar is ok for a beginner. It is put together pretty well for a bolt-on, and the neck is amazing. It fits your hands perfectly and it is so easy to play. 21 frets is very disappointing, but bending is amazing, and surprisingly the bridge doesnt't let the guitar get out of tune too badly. It cannot stay tuned for more than 3 songs straight (of classic rock) for crap. The guitar is very heavy also and the strap buttons aren't crazy good either because the strap doesnt't stay on too well. Also, the tip of my tone toggle-switch comes off a lot too so I have to take extra care when turning it. Also, when playing this guitar, their is a ton of crackle, buzz, and high pitched feedback, especially at a higher volume (but that just might be the amp). The frets are amazing and easy to play on though with a really fast neck. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar cannot withstand Live playing, just because of all the annoying feedback and the bad tuning. The hardware will last forever because I know people who have had this guitar for 10 years and it is turning yellow, but the hardware and finish is still perfect. The strap buttons on the other hand, are horrible and the guitars large weight doesn't help the strap stay on the guitar. I would maybe use this guitar as a backup at a gig, but never as a main guitar. I want a guitar that would turn heads for that. // 5

Overall Impression: I usually play classic rock and some metal and this is not the best match in the world for this guitar. I'm not gonna lie, it does handle it fairly well for a beginner guitar, but I expect more. This was my first guitar and I pretty much bought it blindly, so I had no idea about how it would turn out. If it were stolen, I would probably look for it but I would rather get a new, much better guitar. I would mostly like to keep this guitar because it was my first guitar and it has a lot of sentimental value, but it could be better. My favorite feature is the neck because I would expect it on an expensive guitar. I hate that it can't keep a tune though, and that the tone knobs don't do anything. I wish it had another fret though! // 6

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2008

Purchased from: River City Pawn

Features: This is my first guitar, of which I got for christmas. I was thrilled when my parents unveiled it because I was expecting a First Act or off brand peice of crap. However a few months later, having learned how to play and playing some higher end guitars, I realise that it isn't all that much better. When I got it, it came with a gig bag. It has 21 frets, a 5 way selector and three single coil pickups. I am not sure what brand strings were put on it, but they were out of tune and bent up, needing replaced. Nothing out of the ordinary for a cheap, used guitar. // 5

Sound: I play rock and metal, anything from Pearl Jam to Lamb Of God. With the guitar I got a 30 watt Crate GFX amp. The guitar plays well with a clean tone, although the sustain is awful, but once I turn on the amp overdrive, the tone sounds realy bad. This was solved, however, when I bought a DigiTech Hothead distortion pedal from a friend. When in clean tone, I usually have it on the first pickup setting, but when distorted, it varies on what I am playing. If playing grunge or something the first or third setting is best, but if playing metal, I have it on the second. Overall, not too shabby. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said, I bought the guitar used, so take that into consideration. The strings badly needed replacing, and the neck was bent up. Also, the previous owner used the tremelo, which left the bridge loose, and as a result, the strings were almost a 1/4 inch off of the fret board which made playing difficult and staying in tune almost impossible. However, these problems went away with a little proffesional maintnence, and now plays pretty well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I realy wouldn't trust this guitar for a live show. This is definetly a practice guitar. It comes out of tune too easily and doesn't have good enough sustain to put on a good performance. This is a pretty tough guitar and has withstood tipping over, being dropped, and being hit by doors, while only coming out of tune. For what I am doing now, which is just practicing and jamming with friends, it is relatively dependable, but if we actualy start gigging, I'll seriously need a replacent. // 6

Overall Impression: The 3 single coil pickups make for some good versatility, however, I would much prefer a single coil and a dual coil humbucker, which would better suit my interests. Overall it is good guitar for what we paid for it and it would make a good second guitar, but as soon as I save up some money, will start looking for a replacement, most likely, a Dean Vendetta or something. // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2010

Purchased from: Friend

Features: I got my Squier affinity Stratocaster from a friend, it was 45 dollars because she needed baby formula so I bought it got it a set up for an additional 40 so it was bought for $45 but paid $85 all together. It has 21 frets, its an '03 so I don't know much else about it. It has 3 single coil pickups all stock, stock tremolo but took the bar out because I never use it. Standard Strat configuration 1 volume, 2 tone knobs. 5 way selector switch. Came in a Strat Pack which came with the Fender Frontman 15G amp, bag, picks, ect. // 10

Sound: I play alot of different styles mostly in the hard rock and metal area. I also play other miscellaneous styles but mostly those two. I bought the guitar because I loved Yngwie Malmsteen and wanted a single coil sounding guitar because of him. Honestly the sound is great as far as I'm concerned. Squier gets a lot of crap from users for being low quality maybe I got a good one. This one is just absolutely beautiful sounding on clean and distortion. It can do anything except like death metal. Its also too mushy for metallica but that's not what a Stratocaster is for. So the guitar sounds amazing to me for what I use it for. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was a mess when I got it because of it being a closet guitar for 3 years so I can't really say much about the action, fit, and finish. All the hardware, nut, electronics, ect were very nicely done the soldering inside is remarkably good for a low price guitar no problems there. Overall good action. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is just a beast. Its a working horse guitar and its also my experiment guitar. I recently scalloped the neck on it myself and it has become my favorite guitar I own and have ever played honestly. The hardware is nice, pickups are good, everything on this guitar is just top notch. I just got lucky with getting a good Squier since I hear so many are crap. // 10

Overall Impression: It does match my musical style when I want to do Yngwie style stuff or Van Halen for that matter. I've been playing about 7 years, and I own gibsons, gretsch, and an Ovation acoustic. If it were stolen I'd definitely pick this guitar up again its amazing. I'd be mad because of the hard work I did scalloping it but I'd scallop it all over again. I love the feel of the neck Standard but when its scalloped this guitar is godly. I'm not joking. // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 14, 2011

Price paid: A$ 220

Purchased from: Guitars Plus

Features: At the first look this guitar is great. It looks exactly like a Fender Strat and has many features of the American standard model. Since it's a Squier it's made in Indonesia but it is still of good quality. My particular model has a blue satin finish but you can get black satin, red satin and brown sunburst. The 21 frets are good for playing low down the range but if you want to get up high which a lot of songs do you don't have that extra one fret. 3 single coil pickups which is pretty good and 5 way pickup selector, 2 tone and 1 volume knob and a standard tremolo. // 8

Sound: I use a LX12 practice amp with my guitar which sounds great; I'd recommend using this amp with this guitar. The great thing about this guitar is that you can practically play any sort of music with it. It sounds great for hard rock, jazz and blues but kind of lacks that bass punch for metal which I do play a lot. When it comes to tone I really cannot hear any difference in tone when I change the setting on the tone knobs though and I always leave the volume knob on ten because you can't hear yourself otherwise. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where it gets pretty bad. The action is nice and low but that's really the only thing I can say that's good about it here. The factory strings sound dull and lacks any sort of liveliness what so ever but they do last a long time. After about six months of playing I broke a Sting and got some Ernie Balls put on. They made it actually sound like a whole new guitar! Also there are only two of the five pickup settings that don't make a loud buzzing noise when selected even on a clean amp setting and the low E string makes a buzzing noise if strummed too hard. The pick up selector switch can also be pulled off easily leaving a bend piece of metal. The jack input also for some reason seems to screw itself loose. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing this for ten months and played live once at my school talent show. I've had no problem with reliability or durability so far. All the harware is solid and is screwed in well. I think that it'll still look great after at least three years of playing. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a perfect first electric guitar. For $220 AUD you get some pretty good features and I doubt you will find a guitar that's better for this price. It's great for all types of music and even though some of the factory settings aren't that good it still continues to impress me today. A highly recommended buy. // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Teebone Hazell, on march 27, 2012

Price paid: A$ 599

Purchased from: High St Music, Penrith

Features: 2010 in Indonesia, 21 frets, thin neck. This is a standard Affinity Strat. Same as all the others. The finish is excellent. Its 2 years old and while I'm careful I only last week bought locking strap nuts. It was part of the get started pack, Fender amp, bag and tuner. I think it represented excellent value for money. // 10

Sound: I like rock n roll (The Beatles, Cold Chisel, Deep Purple etc), and blues. I have the standard 10w Fender front man and a genuine Vox Wah Wah pedal. The standard strings (fender 9/42 steel) were ok but sounded a bit dead. It's got Ernie Ball Slinkies now n they're beautiful. The sound is not as mellow as a proper Fender Strat (my instructor has a Japanese Stratocaster with Ernie Ball 10/49s) but sounds clean. It can be noisy on the bridge pickup, the neck pup sounds like rocknroll from the 50s (clean but a bit fuzzy). Just today I bought a Squier Bullet HSS which frankly sounds a LOT better out of the box. Even better with the standard strings than the Affinity with the Ernie Balls... // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It didn't need anything doing to it out of the box. I've since been playing around with the pup height. It was ok from the box. The action is a little higher than my Squier Bullet HSS I just bought today, but still ok. Everything seems to fit properly and works. I haven't opened it up so... // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've no idea if it will withstand live playing - everyone talks about how solid and tough they are then says 'oh it wouldn't take live playing' wtf? I've mucked about with fenders in the store and frankly it seems as solid as any of them so I'd say its more about being embarrassed to have a Squier... // 8

Overall Impression: I like it. Its decent for the blues, and good rock n roll. I've been playing for about 2 years. Mostly mucking about but getting some instruction now. I have a Cort acoustic, a cheap SX acoustic orchestra (sounds REAL nice) and a Squier Bullet HSS. I'd buy a Hot Rail Squier if it was stolen. I love the look and the feel, the neck is nice n fast and it sounds decent. I don't hate anything about it. The tone controls could do a little more. It holds tune REALLY well. I chose this because I was NEVER gonna buy a Gibson copy - always gonna buy a Strat and a Squier is the closest thing you can get to the real deal when you haven't got piles of cash. Buy the Bullet HSS tho if you want to shred some it MOTORS. // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Twh2003, on september 14, 2003

Features: Contoured hardwood body; maple fingerboard; 21 frets; 3 single-coil pickups; 5-way Switch; 1 volume, 2 tone controls; white pickgaurd; sunburst color (also gold availible). // 8

Sound: The sound on this think is great. I have been an avid acoustic user for a while now, and this is a great way to make the crossover from acoustic to electric. When used with an amp with good overdrive, the guitar sounds great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, is was in perfectly working condtion and was able to be played within minutes of getting. It was even almost perfectly tuned (possibly luck or a bored store clerk). Mine had no flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems to look and feel like it will last. It will sustain liive playing, and the finish shouldnt be a problem. Others have complained about warping, but this is only because they are irresponsible and cannot take care of it properly. I believe it will work well, but even the most indestructable guitar in the world needs a backup... // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play rock (alternative/indie) music, and perhaps a little metal if the song is good. This guitar works with it. If it was stolen or lost (take it and die), I would replace it in a heartbeat. Most newcomers to electric like the Yamaha Pacifica. DO NOT BUY IT: IT'S NOTHING COMPARED TO THIS. This is a great guitar and deserves the 5 rating I give it. // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 22, 2003

Purchased from: Guitar Works

Features: I bought this guitar in 2002, I am not quite sure of the year it was built though, it was however built in Indonesia (probably by small children forced to work for low pay or something). Its blue with a white pick gaurd and a poorly lamintated top. The material is supposedly plywood but I suspect scraps. It has 21 frets and non locking tuners that hate me and anyone else that owns them. It can be bought in a package that includes gig bag and amp, but both are pieces of sh*t. So if you are stupid enough to purchase this guitar atleast buy a good amp. // 4

Sound: My music styles are hard rock and classic blues and metal (Led Zep, Iron Maiden, John Lee Hooker, Disturbed, Finger 11), I'm not much into punk, but I don't hate it. This guitar suits the needs of a beginner on any style essentially, but only with a half decent amp, and as soon as the player becomes half decent, the guitar is no longer useful. Fret buzz is unbearable, the strings need to be constantly replaced, the tuning is terrable, as I mentioned the tuners hate me and go out of tune in mid-song. It seems Squires are made out of Fender assembly line rejects, so if you are lucky you won't get one that has something horrible with it, but most of the time not. Don't try your luck. The guitars variety of sound wholey depends on the type of amp, without a good amp it can't do anything. The sound is far to messy, even with a good player, it is difficult to play compare to a real Stratocaster or Gibson. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was horribly put togethar, the bridge has snapped, twice, and come off once. If my tuners go any length of time without going out of tune they pop out of the head. The pickups were incredibly high up, but loering them did not at all improve fret buzz. I have taken it to be repared twice, and have done numerous adjustments on my own, the improvements do not last. The flaws on this guitar are hard to list due to the amazing number of them. The guitar came scratched in numerous places, and as I said the pickups, bridge, and tuners were improperly installed. Also, sometimes the amp will stop picking up sound from the guitar, and it's not the amps fault, the guitar just stops sending vibrations. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I cannot depend on this guitar at all, my band (ConFlicted) has a major gig soon and I am going to replace this guitar as soon as possible. Then set it on fire, and float it down the river. I could never use this at a gig, it comes out of tune too often, and my neck strap slips off because the strap buttons are improperly fitted. I intend for this guitar to last another few months before I gleefully destroy it. If however I do not destroy it personally I can't trust it to last more than one more year (I started a litlle over a year ago). // 2

Overall Impression: I must give Squire SOME credit, it IS an okay guitar for beginners, it is cheap, but only people who are just starting, and for nobody else except those who play hard core punk and want a cheap guitar to smash at the end of the show. I would reccomend not buying a crappy guitar that will adequetly serve only for a half a year or so, and instead skipping that step and move to buying a good guitar immedeatly (like a REAL Fender, or Gibson, not Ibanez). Still, the Squire Strat is better than the Squire Bullet (which is THE absolute worst guitar I have ever had the displeasure of touching) or a Jay Tarson. Don't buy this guitar unless its purpose is to get smashed at the end of a show. Or unless you want to endure two or three years of hell before it breaks. // 6

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: AdMansk8s, on october 27, 2003

Purchased from: Bought Used

Features: If you are reading my review, by now you know what these features are. I give it a three, because for the retail price, the features aren't bad. // 6

Sound: I may be a bit biased because NO Stratocaster would fit my musical style. I play mostly classic rock, although I do play the occasional punk rock song and strats work for that. However, I think single coil pickups in general sound very bad, especially with solid state amps. Naturally, these pickups are about as cheap as you can get, and they create a lot of extra noise, even on a high end solid state amp such as the Marshall MG series of amps. I would not reccomend gigging with this guitar. As far as just hanging out with your buddies for a recreational jam session, the Squier works ok. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: I know a lot of people criticize the quality of the materials used in this guitar. I really think the fretboard is okay. It's very playable, and the neck on mine is straight, even though its an old guitar. The tuners are horrendous, but tuning a guitar isn't that big of a problem. It stays in tune while I'm playing it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This is a pretty durable guitar. I've had mine for a little over 3 years, and I bought it from a friend, but I don't know how long he owned it, or if he bought it new. I have no problems whatsover with this guitar. It's dependable for what it is. // 8

Overall Impression: I have owned this Squier Strat for about 3 years, and I played for a year and half before I bought it. When I bought it, I had no knowledge of electric guitars, nor had I really reached a skill level where I would develop my own playing style. Basically, I wish that I had just saved some money and bought the used Epiphone Les Paul with Seymour Duncan humbuckers and tuners from a Gibson that I am currently playing. I highly reccommend buying a used Fender if you want a Strat. if you know you are going to keep playing the guitar and its not just a passing interest, go ahead and spend a few hundred bucks and get yourself something a little nicer than a Squier. As I said, Fenders are good and relatively inexpensive, and in my opinion, the Epiphone Les Paul is the BEST guitar you can buy in its price range. Also, Ibanez are good too. Look at these guitars before buying a Squier. // 4

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 16, 2003

Purchased from: Foxs Music

Features: This guitar was made early 2002, in China, and has 22 frets on a rosewood fingerboard. Its got a five way selector Switch with the volume and two tone controls. I have no idea what make the pickups or tuners are, and its also got a string thru body. // 8

Sound: The Sqiuer fits in perfectly with my playing style (emo, grunge, punk) and im using it with a Peavey rage amp, (which I also think are cool) The Squier can get a little noisy especially on the neck pickup setting, but overall it gives a rich, bright sound, on clean it produces excellent lively sounds, and on lead it creates some excellent chorus's and makes riffs sound great. I also like the fact that I can play around with this guitar by playing blues and Indie aswell as my other styles, just by flicking the selector Switch. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar brand spanking new, and there were no flaws whatsoever, except the tuners needed a little lubrication. I've had the lead input re-wired though, just because a wire worked loose. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Ive played this guitar in over 15 gigs now, and its withstood beer in the pickups, and being thrown into an amp. It has a few scratches and smells like budweiser but it still plays like it did when I bought it! I do believe this guitar is the hardest wearing axe made by Fender. The finish (dark silver fading into lighter silver) is still intact, with only a few scratches and dints. The strap buttons are solid as a rock, and I've not changed them once, but I would recommend strap locks. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing 3 years now, and im still with my Squier, after using guitars such as Ibanez and Epiphone SG's. The Squier is the best value for money I've had in a long time. I use it with distortion and wah pedals, and it still accepts the challenge after all its hard work. If it were stolen i would possibly buy another, but now ive got a job id buy a real Strat or a Mustang. I compared it to the Yamaha pacifica, and an Epiphone and I chose this one. I wish id asked for the guys in the shop to change the pickups to some better suited ones, but the ones on it are excellent for what I use it for, be it jammin on a hot evening in someones garage or jumping around on stage with the amps cranked up to 10. its a great guitar, one that delivers the goods, which is hard to find with such models on the market that are really pants, and a complete waste of time. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Bleed_4_Me, on march 03, 2004

Features: This is an Indonesian copy of the Fender Strat. It has 22 frets on a rose wood neck with a laminated red body and white finger board. It has three passive single coil (cheap) pickups, three control knobs (volume, high, and low tone). It has failry good tuners with a string through body setup. // 6

Sound: I play anything from rock to metal, from AC/DC to ZZ Top. I purchased this with the Squier beginners pack with a two channel Fender Frontman 15G amp (great amp) and a nice gig bag and extras. The finger/fret board has a serious humming problem. I have not yet got the action heighth adjusted but if I was going to say this was my main axe I'd get it changed. It just seems to low for me. The sound isn't too bad but that's probably because the amp is top notch for it's size (15 watt). The guitar really drops out of tune very quickly. After just a few licks I'm back re-turning. Arrrrgghh. It gets a little frustrating. I'm going to be looking for a new guitar very soon one of my "must haves" is a string locking setup. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar seems to be setup OK. The output jack was loose as hell so I unscrewed it and tightened the o-ring around the jack. Other than that there are no noticeable flaws to me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't really play live. I've been a hobby guitarist for several years off-and-on. I've banged the head and body into the door frame a couple of times by accident and there was no noticeable ding or scratch. I wouldn't play this axe live since it drops tuning so easily. // 6

Overall Impression: Great guitar for a starting musician. Since I was really re-introducing myself to playing the electric guitar again I should've spent a few exta hundred dollars and got a good guitar and the same amp or a slightly better amp. If you play rock or metal there are quite a few better guitar packages and prices. Save up the 300 bucks and get a BC Rich or Jackson and a nice 30 to 100 watt amp. // 6

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 23, 2004

Purchased from: Guitar Center Rochester, NY

Features: This is an awesome beginner axe. A 2002 Indonesian model Strat with 21 frets, classic black and white Strat design (laminated), 3 controls (volume, 2 tone), 5 way switching and 3 single coil pick-ups. It's got a maple body, satin finish and medium frets. Came in a starter pack with a Fender Frontman 15G amp (great practice amp), hot gig bag, tuner, extra strings, strap, and a whole busload of other niceties. // 8

Sound: Suits my style just fine. I'm in an alternative/metal group, and with my FX-86B Death Metal Distortion pedal by DOD (greatest distortion pedal you can buy), it provides great sound. Although the Frontman 15G amp came in the starter set, I'm using a Peavey Rage 158 right now, while using the Fender for my vocals. Once distortion is engaged humming is a problem, but with the sounds of the rest of the group blairing you can't notice. Overall, provides good sound. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Assembly was fine. I have had this since Christmas with no real problems. I have noticed in other reviews that the washer in the input likes to come loose; this must be a common problem. It is little more than an inconvienence. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been tested at 3 gigs, each a 1 hour set. The tuner, for this prace range, is incredibly durable. It rarely slides out fo tune on me. Strap buttons are tight and solid...they aren't going to give out any time soon. And seeing as I don't own another guitar, I can't have a back-up...then again, I don't fear this guitar pulling any crap on me. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playng for 2 years, mostly on my friends Samick Custom or Ibanez GRX-40. This guitar feels better than both, probably because it is mine and no one elses. If this guitar was stolen, and I had the same amount of bucks to spend, I would, without hesitation, buy another one. I love the fast moving feel of the neck, hate the humming I get at louder volumes, and love the fact that the tuner is soo durable for the price range. If I could change one thing about it...well I'd love to have a humbucker (S-S-H) to add a little more bite, so that is why my next guitar will probable be a Fat Strat. Overall, this axe is an incredible value for the beginner player. Do not hesitate to buy a Squire Affinity Strat...you will not be disappointed. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2004

Purchased from: N/A

Features: You ought to know the features if you're reading my interpretation. 21 frets, 3 single coil pickups, two tone knobs that do nothing whatsoever and a volume control (not that you would want to turn this thing up). It came with a thin gig-bag, a crappy 15watt amp and some pitch-pipes. // 4

Sound: I've played guitar for 12 years and have reviewed many guitars for websites, magazines etc. and this was probably the worst thing i've used. Every time a plug it in and Switch it on, there is an horrific buzz blaring from the speaker of the 15watt amp. Now I first thought this was mainly the amp, so I tried it with a VOX valve-state amp. It sounded like a strangled mule, even through the VOX. The distortion attempts to hide the terrible sound, but to little avail. On clean, the guitar is far too 'shallow' and just cannot provide a rich tone. Very poor. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is disgusting. I apologise for my bluntness, but even at just over a hundred quid you'd expect a little more than a glossy, opaque bright red or blue. The pickups were far too high, although I was happy with the action, relatively low. The selector Switch cracks something awful when changing pickups, so I had to clean the insides and re-wire the selector and pickups. The intonation was seriously off, almost an entire semi-tone. I was too embarassed to get it set up at the store. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Will this withstand live playing? Yes. It is certainly built like a rock, but the sound is dreadful, and the electronics are pretty poor. So at least you can repeatedly batter it after you're set. I would NEVER play this at a gig. The strap buttons are crap as well, my strap came straight off after the first 5 minutes of its maiden jam. The finish is thin too, I thought a scratch-plate was supposed look at least half-decent after a couple of months wear and tear. Its shredded! // 4

Overall Impression: In my twelve years of experience, i have adjusted to many styles as i am a session musician. I own many guitars, ranging from a basic Encore up to a PRS Santana and a Gibson SG custom. This fails to meet even basic standards. This can hardly be called a beginners guitar because it prevents the player from knowing what he or she is really playing. The sound is disgusting, and the mechanics of the guitar could put anyone off of learning the instrument. I have reviewed many beginners guitars, Encores, Pacificas etc. and this is the worst. I am dissapointed with Squier, especially being a Fender endorsed company, at producing such poor equipment and hope that they can learn from this. Don't misunderstand me, as Squier have produced excellent guitars such as the Standard Strat and teles. I suggest going for these over the affinity. // 2

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: avidgtrplayer, on july 07, 2004

Features: Made, I think, in Indonesia in 2003. 21 Frets, rosewood fretboard, I think the rest of the body is maple, however. It's black and has a white pick guard. 5-way selector Switch which is really noisy, has 2 tone knobs that only make it more noticable and noisy when shifting fast across the strings. I got this with a Fender Squire Strat Pak, and I only recommend this to people who are just starting out and cant tell a guitar's front end from its ass. The pak came with this pile of shit they call a guitar, an 8" terd they put in a box and called an amp (Frontman 15G), a strap that falls off all of the time, 3 glow in the dark Fender Heavy picks, a set of extra strings, and the biggest piece of shit cord you can find (a 10' cord). It also came with a tuner that works kinda. // 4

Sound: The 8" terd, dressed up as a Fender amp, sounds decent clean, but the distortion Drive sucks ass, its noisy as hell and doesnt even sound nice very weak. The strings are made by Fender, so they have a nice clean sound, but put with the amp, it's terrible, so I purchased a DOD Death Metal Distortion stompbox. The pedal gives it some balls, but not enough. I also put on Ernie Ball's Hybrid Slinky strings the other day and the guitar sounds much nicer. The 5 way selector Switch is noisy as hell, 3 of the 5 positions sound like there is a garbage disposal inside of the amp, but the 2nd and 4th ones sound pretty good. The cord that came with the pack is terrible, every move you make makes a really loud, abnoxious buzzing noise enough to make you vomit. If you get this guitar with the pack, I'm sorry get a new amp, new strings, new pickups, a nice stompbox and possible an effects board, and if you dont have the money for that, put the strap on the guitar, swing it around by the strap, and throw it off of a 6 story parking ramp into rushhour traffic, and bring a camera then mail the video to me so I can watch it. Then I will reward you as much money as I can, just as a congratulations. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar isn't that bad at all its the equipment that comes with it that make the guitar suck. I would say the guitar's size and feel is amazing for a 180 dollar guitar after all, its the exact same thing as a Stratocaster, but made into shit by the Indonesian based Squire. The input jack became loose 3 months after I bought this guitar (February 6th of 2004, today is July 6th the 5 month anniversary). The neck is perfect fit, the body is just right as far as weight goes, and the frets are just right. My biggest problem with the guitar is the noisy pickups, other than that its pretty decent. Like I said, the guitar is nice, but the equipment that came with it sucks donkey balls. It's a good guitar, I give it a 3. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons came loose, but its nothing too big just annoying at times. I wouldn't gig with this without a back up, I have a Les Paul Standard (Epiphone, not Gibson). I like the tone of the Ernie Ball's better than the strings on the Les Paul, and I plan to put some Ernie Balls on that too. The finish on the Strat is nice, the lamination came off of everything like 2 weeks after I got it, so its cheap as hell, but the guitar has been to hell and back since I bought it. Its fallen down stair cases, been slammed in doors, fallen off of tables onto concrete and it still sounds like it did the day it came home. So she's durable, and if it sounded nicer with the equipment it came with. But with its original pack, this isn't gig worthy not even close. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock and punk and it sounds nice with newer equipment, but the original equipment embarrasses the hell out of Fender. Don't buy this with the pack, buy it separately. I have a Fender FM 212R amp, several DOD stompboxes, Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings, Ernie Ball cables, and custom gold screws. I love how it sounds through my new equipment, however it doesn't compare to my Les Paul. The original equipment is pathetic, dont get the Strat Pak. Buy this separately with some distortion and overdrive pedals by Boss or DOD. Get new cables and strings, possibly better pickups due to the noisiness of them. Great beginners guitar, but I have been playing for 2 years and I am ashamed to gig with it, always have a back up. Take care, I give this guitar a 2. // 4

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 28, 2004

Features: This one is a 2000 or 2001 20th anniversary guitar. I think it was made in Indonesia or China. This one is 21 fretted rosewood neck, with a solid body and laminated top. The body is alder. The finish is a plain satin black. The controls are 2 tones and 1 volume. There are three single coil pickups. I really don't know about the tuners because I haven't looked at them enough. The accesories that came were a gig bag, strap, cable, picks, Fender strings (bullets) a tuner thats and an amp. Thats about it. // 8

Sound: This guitar is pretty good for any style and knowing that because I play most styles except country. The effects I have used were some distortion, clean and some echo. The amp is a Fender Frontman 15w. It plays really good once you screw around with the controls. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up pretty well from the factory. The action is pretty good too. The only flaw that came on this one was that some dimples were left on the body in the finish, which I hane no idea how that would happen. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played any actual gigs with this one, so I'm not sure if it would last. The hardware has lasted for about years so it should last for a bit longer. Unlike any other guitar like this, the strap buttons are solid on this one. The finish is okay in a way because it does not wear off. // 6

Overall Impression: Pretty much I play all music except country (sorry) and it is perfect with enough fooling around with the controls on the amp. I've been playing for about 6 1/2 years now and it hasn't failed me a bit. If it were stolen I don't know if I would buy it again, but possibly I would buy it again. The thing I like about it, is that it is an easy guitar to play. One thing that is annoying its the nut on the input jack which comes loose the uncommun time. The only thing I wish it had would be some differnet tuners because these ones de-tune a little too often. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: p0204619, on january 03, 2005

Purchased from: Swee Lee

Features: A 2000 model Squire Affinity Strat, made in Indonesia with 21 frets. It has a fairly slim neck, smooth sliding compared to those no names guitar I use in jamming studios. My finishing was ok except for a loose screw which made my top looked bulging out from certain angles, (not that noticeable but yea what the heck). The tones took me a few months to figure out the difference in sound, they seriously are useless but sometimes you will feel it sounds funny if you never adjust it to bassier or more treble notes. 3 of my 5 way selectors give off heavy electrical interference (after a year) 2 of those I found that by turning volume knob to 0 and back up it will cut but the middle 1. No matter what I do it's still there. And yea, this is a 3 single-coil setup model. The set comes with a "Fender" tuner which I find useful but it wont give you the "standard" once you turn pro found that it says tune although when it's a little off tune. The cables lasted me 1 year though it's gold tip the standard isn't there amp. I like the overdrive mode but it doesn't give me a good range (been using this guitar for over three years). // 6

Sound: I play anything from classic rock to heavy metal and I find that this guitar has a "lagging response" and doesn't give me the feedback I want. Still good for most songs except when you play 1/16 beat and you barely could hear what you been playing. Compared to the Washburn my friend bought, my guitar sounds more like it is beeping when I play fast while his is smooth! Maybe three coils aint enough. Overall the sounds are ok, once you mastered the tones and taming of the electrical interference and it is quite a good beginners guitar serious because I bet no other guitar has that much interference you have to overcome. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: My retailer first look at the guitar was that hmm this is no good and he re-setup the string level so that it was high, he also tilt the coils in some kinda manner, I have no idea whats the diff. For the pickup modes I usually play the extreme ends coz when it is dual pickups it sounds a bit awful. I have no problem with the bridge but I notice some rusted parts on my fret board a few months later, probably poor maintenenace and the humid weather here. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It is a definite nono to live performance as it wont be able to project clearly but for a jamming session I wouldn't mind. The guitar is pretty solid since it has been thrown around and man handled by my parents, I'm still grateful it's in one piece. I give it a 5 for that, it been thru a lot of hell though my 5 selector knob went missing leaving the sharp metal edge protruding. For a gig, I wouldn't even have it for backup. It sure will be a sucky performance unless they think the beeping is fine. The paint job is reliable and I still see no wearing off after 3 years. And I threw away the strap they gave, lousy piece of shit. The strap buttons are solid though. // 8

Overall Impression: First impression was nice to press good to use and easy to handle and the distance between string was just nice. I was a beginner when I started out using it still am. It improve my skills to a certain level but well I would play better if I had something not beeping. If this was stolen, I wouldn't buy it again as I feel there are a lot of good guitars out there. when I bought it I did compare to Epiphone and Ibanez. It win the Ibanez in terms of sound and feel, but it was off in terms of sound and reaction time to Epiphone. Still win Epiphone in handling coz I had a hard time figuring out that Epiphone and the strings are a little wide. Simple and good beginners guitar. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: vacantdarkskies, on january 04, 2005

Purchased from: friend

Features: 2002 Squier Affinity Stratocaster, made in Indonesia. 21 frets, thin neck, rosewood fretboard. Navy blue finish. Tune-O-Matic bridge, I think. The electronics on it suck. I'm pretty sure by now you all know the features. I bought this guitar off my friend as a backup guitar, or one to just paint smash and stuff. It didn't come with anything except for the gig bag it came in. It was a Fender gig bag, and it was a piece of crap. // 6

Sound: I play pretty much anything. It made a weird beeping noise when I put it by the amp I was using. It makes this weird noise sometimes, but I gave the pickup at the bridge a good hit, and it would stop for awhile. The noise would get really bad if you turned the volume up all the way. The input jack for it was loose, so that really sucked. I found out that that sound was probably the problem. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was okay, I had to fool around with the pickups to see if that would stop my noise from happening, the nut was poorly cut, the tuning pegs were just right though, I never had any problem with them, the pickup selector was noisy. // 2

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would not withstand live playing. I used it for one of my church's teen masses once and play. dont worry about the finish, I've banged it around and taped it up alot, and nothing really happened to it. The guitar looks pretty cool though. The hardware won't last. During the first two songs it went, so I just turned all my gear off and played it without an amp. This guitar is totally an embarassment to play. // 4

Overall Impression: I prefer louder music, I didnt like how quiet this guitar is, I wish it was a little louder. I've been playing for 4 years. If this thing was stolen, I would'nt really care. I tried to get rid of it at Guitar Center, but they said they'd only give me 25 bucks for it, so I sold it to my friend. I love the look of it, it's more fun to play without an amp. I like how it sounded unplugged. I hated the electronics on the gutiar. It could have been made better. This isn't a good starter guitar. I started off with an Epiphone Les Paul Special II and it's a better axe for the money. And it can be easier to sell in smaller guitar shops, since the Strat is more popular and every store has a billion Squier Affinity Strats or Bullets. I just wanted this guitar so I could bang it around and do crap to it, I expected it to sound okay, but I never thought it would turn out this crappy. So if you want a guitar to bang up and keep in the closet, then this is for you. Just don't play it live. Or don't even take it out of your room. // 4

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: punkman_123, on january 04, 2005

Features: When I entered the electric guitar market, I didn't know quite what to expect. All I expected is that it would be expensive. Within a few hours of looking around, I spotted this budget package: a Squier Affinity Strat, a little Fender Frontman 15G amp and a cables all for $600 AUD. I picked it up and started to play it. The first thing I noticed was the ease of use, the fretboard was a nice shape, and the frets were in the right spots. It felt good to play. While the Alder body wasn't the highest of quality of woods, it brought down the price a bit. The well-shaped Maple neck was great, making it easy to play and comfortable for the hand to sit. On-board controls were one volume control, two tone controls (neck and middle pickups), a 5-way selector, and of course a whammy bar. The 3 single-coil pickups were of poor quality and, compared to other guitars, were very poor. The guitar has a synchronous tremolo bridge, chrome hardware and die-cast machine heads. Overall, this China-crafted guitar is packed with goods given the price. // 8

Sound: I am currently playing my guitar through a Fender Frontman 15G amp, and while clean, the sound is average, but with the built-in amp distortion, this baby puts out a nice crunchy sound, great for punk and hardcore music. In the nature of the lower quality single-coil pickups, while using distortion and not playing, there is a fair bit of background noise on some pickup settings. On others it's fine. I noticed that in the first few weeks of playing, the guitar had a bright sound. Since then it's dulled down a bit. The wide variety of sounds you can squeeze from this guitar is very good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The way the guitar was set up by default was less than perfect and required one service before the end of the year due to background noise both on clean and distortion. After the repairs it was fine, and hasn't played up since. The only other problem I have to pick on is general poor construction (eg. pick plate coming up, few loose screws, warped wood) which, in the long run is time and money. Even though the guitar produces a good sound most of the time, it is high maintenance. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The Squier Affinity Strat is a great option for gigs and live performances, although it's a beginners' guitar and is quite honestly clearly not built to last, it's a budget option and puts out a good sound. The strap buttons seem well-secured, and the finish is above average for this price range, but don't expect to keep this guitar for more than maybe two and a half years without taking it in for repairs. If you're going to do a gig with this guitar, keep a backup at hand, just in case. // 4

Overall Impression: I play a lot of punk, emo, and hardcore and this guitar fits the sound perfectly. It has a nice crunchy distortion and a cool smooth clean. I have been playing for about one and a half years. This is my second guitar, first electric. Other gear that I own are Fender Frontman 15G amp, Fender California Cables, and the basic cables that came in the pack. I don't regret buying it, and there isn't a lot that I could've asked about it that I didn't already know from playing it. If I lost my guitar I would definately purchase a more expensive, better guitar, to get better at playing. I love the distorted sound it puts out with the stock amp distortion. That is definately my favourite feature. I don't HATE anything about it but I am disappointed in the overall construction and the quality of the pickups. When looking around at guitars I narrowed it down to the Squier Affinity Strat and the Squier Standard Strat. I ended up buying the Affinity, mainly because it had better quality machine-heads. I do wish it had better pickups and higher quality manufacture. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Stinging_Acid, on march 28, 2005

Features: It has a Strat body, which feels comfortable and looks good. The 21 medium jumbo frets make for easy picking, my fingers fit quite nicely in each fret and it's easy to move up and down the fret board. The chrome hardware looks extremely nice and matches the feel of the guitar well. It has two tone knobs which do very little to alter the sound in my opinion except for neck pickup. Speaking of pickups there are five, all single coils which give a bluesy sound. The body wood is alder and the neck is maple, the finger board is rosewood. These woods make a good sound, but I could ask for more. Mine came with a gig bag which has served well. // 6

Sound: I enjoy playing classic rock and blues. It sounds real good for these. It has got a bright sound, but I would really have liked it to sound a little fuller. The guitar can range from crisp light sounds, to a duller empty sound, with very little middle ground, even with the five-way pickup. I don't use many effects with it, sometimes a little distortion, and it works for the guitar. The distortion really brings out some flavor in the duller sounding settings Turned up to loud though, and this guitar sounds like a beast out of hell, in the bad way. It crackles to the point it overpowers the actual playing and really reduces the options you have when you want to really just play loudly and jam it out through the night. But when you find a clear setting, it can sound sweet and soulful. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: There was nothing wrong when I recieved this guitar. The red paint job was suberb and the chrome hardware shines like it has something to say, well play actually. However, the pickgaurd does lift off the body just a teensy bit in some places, you can't even notice unless you are really examining it. The routing is right on and all the hardware is sturdy. I see no flaws here. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar really shines in this department. The hardware is firmly in place, escpecially the strap buttons. It is not a fragile machine, it can take a beating. Live playing won't harm it, neither I doubt will a blockbuster bomb. I personally have had the neck hit my cieling fan, I've had it slam against a wall, and fall over forwards from its stand. It doesn't even come untuned. I've carried it in my gigbag many times without having to adjust it. It will last a long time, probably even outlast a new guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar on the whole is adequate. An excellent choice for begginners who want to. "Feel this whole guitar thing out." For me, it plays my style, blues and rock, well and I trust it to do what is needed. I've been playing with it for 3 months and it has carried me through some good times and steep learning curves. But having played it, if I were to lose it, I would definately replace it with something a little more serious, like a SG or a real Strat. It's a good guitar, but it really isn't for the dedicated guitarists. If you are a beginner, and don't own an electric, get this one, it's cheap, reliable, and easy to manage. And if in a couple months you quit the whole guitar scene, you won't have wasted much money. Besides, it looks like a real Strat, since Squier is a sub company of Fender, and if it looks good that should be all that matters to a beginner. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2005

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: 21 frets, 3 single coil pick-ups, standard Tune-O-Matic tremolo system, 5-way selector, black finish top. // 8

Sound: The sound was incredible with medium sustain and a nice ability to go well with distortion. I seem to get a bit of feed back on the bridge selector but it can easily be countered by moving around a little and rotating, overall it is definitly worth it. With Ernie Ball regular slinky strings, I am willing to bet, you will be surprised by the wonderful tone you get that can be used for various styles. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This baby for some odd reason when I got her when I was 15 sounded much better than most of the Squier Strats I had tried out back then. I was so baffled by why it was more expensive then some of the models that had dual humbuckers and were Squier strats, but when I played this guitar, I knew I had a winner. The action is incredible and I have never seen a guitar stay in tune for so long. Even with the tension loose, it still seems to stay in tune. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar for 4 years and am still using it. I used it with the cheapest effects panel, the Zoom 606, and it just rocks everyone I play it in front of. Better sound than the Gibsons I have played at Sam Ash. I have used this in gigs that I have done and made it sound like it was a really expensive guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This really matches many styles and can be used with almost any genre. Has enough noise factor to be used for metal and can be slimmed for astonishing tone. God knows, maybe the guitar I got was made by someone who loved their job, and all the rest are crap, but if I were to give someone else my guitar. I know they would agree with me. This guitar is a winner, and I would recommend it to anyone who is on a budget. // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Mr. Legato, on july 04, 2005

Features: I'm not sure what year it is but it was made in Indonesia. I bought it as the Strat Pack with an amp, cable, etc. It was my first electric guitar after playing acoustic for about a year. It's a Stratocaster 3 single coil pickups, 1 volume, 2 tone controls, a standard non-locking tremolo. It's not a great guitar but for a beginner it works quite well. I really do like the neck, it's really comfortable wether fretting chords or soloing. // 8

Sound: I play different kinds of rock (classic, metal, punk, ska, indie/alternative) and the Strat works pretty well for all of them. The pickups on this guitar are bad, plain and simple. But for a 150$ guitar what do you expect. When I first got it it was great I was a beginner so I didn't really have a certain sound I was looking for. But now that I'm more experienced I'm looking for a new guitar. It puts out alot of noise, especially on the Frontman 15G amp! // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't remember how well it was set up from the factory but the action was high, just adjust the bridge to the action you want. The pickups were all put up really high so I lowered them down. Pretty poor quality construction. The pickguard is warped and comes up from the body in several places, and the input jack came loose (a little glue on the screws and now it's fine). The wood used on this guitar is of low quality. The neck however is very comfortable and I like the neck alot it's really comfortable and easy to play on. The frets are okay not great but I've seen some really bad fret jobs. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for about 2 years and its held up well. I dropped it once and nothing happened. The tuners are actually not that bad and it stays in tune for about a month and then will start to go flat. I've gigged with it once without a backup and it worked fine all night. However I wouldnt do a gig w/o a backup again 'cause that's just stupid. This is actually a pretty solid guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I play punk/metal/classic rock and this guitar suits them pretty well. I think better pickups would make it awesome. I've been playing for about 3 years and I'm still waiting to get a new electric guitar. I have an A&R acoustic guitar, a Frontman 15G, a Peavey 25 watt amp, Ibanez Tubescreamer. I would not buy this again 'cause its a begginer guitar, if it were stolen I'd kick whoever did its ass just for stealing. My favorite thing about this guitar is the comfortable neck, but hate the crappy electronics. Good beginner guitar that's it. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 08, 2005

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: I own a 2004 Squire Strat. There 2 tone knobs with do nothing to this guitar's sound. The pickups suck because theres alway a buzz (but I figure how to get rid of it, turn you amp volume up but leave the volume knob on the guitar at 2, 3 or 4). Doesn't hold a tuning well. And bending burings the turn down 2 steps. // 6

Sound: The sound is bad. Unplugged its great but plugged in to a amp it make more noise when your not playing then when you are. Really noisey but it's 85947838957489789 times worst on the 1st, 3rd, 5th, settings (the 5-way selector knob). Really good for rock and metal. Not that bad for country rock stuff. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is nice seen better but its ok. The tremlo bar is always it the way of my hand so it slows me down. And There no real flaws but the pickup selector sucks. Imput jack always falls in the body. // 4

Reliability & Durability: There a few problems with this guitar. My strap is always falling off. It is really really noisy so it's not good for being a main guitar or backup (that is unless you change the pickups). The finish will stay on but its a dull finish. // 2

Overall Impression: Not a good guitar, ok for a begginer but they will grow out of it quickly. // 2

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2005

Purchased from: SamAsh

Features: Pretty basic features. Made in Korea, 21 frets, rosewood fret board, crappy 1 play pick guard, 1 volume knob, 2 tone knobs, 3 single coil pickups, accesories are a whammy bar and an Alan Wrench. // 6

Sound: I play a lot of pop punk, but also some older stuff. In the bagining I thought it was great, but after a while, it keeps sounding worse and worse. Buzzes a lot thought on osme frets. I think it does alright with my Crate amp, however, it buzzes badly. Have to play wiht my distortion to keep it from buzzing. I always have the pickup selctor using only the bridge pickup. The other two are useless in my opinon. But, for $150 I think this sounds good enought. Only for beginers. also good to keep if you get a better one. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup was again average. As soon as I took it home, had buzzing if the strings are picked too hard. Kind of a pain becuase I play with my arm and shoulder not my wrist so I hit it really hard. I break a lot of strings but my fall. Pickups suck. I find the neck and treble pickup useless. My guitar is red, and has a tiny flaw, a dark spot, in the finish. But, I don't care. It adds character. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty durable. My strap falls off lots of time (not because of the strap buttons breaking, probably just bad straps) lots of time and it nevers gets actually damged. I accidently hit stuff with this all the time, and so far, I have one dent on the headstock. My guitar is pretty thrashed. I wnat a new pick guard because mine looks all orange on the top from the picks. My guitar is all scratched up, but it still plays decent. I think it's a fairly durbale guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: If your starting off, this is great for beginners IMO. But only beginners. If I could do it over I would save up for a nice Epiphone or a Fender Strat. But also if your like me and can't wait to play, it will make you happy. I've been playing liek 3 months, so I'm new. The best part about this guitar is the price and durability, the worst is the pickups. All in all, if your a beginner or somehting buy it. // 6

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Farmer Frances, on october 27, 2005

Sound: I just started in August, but I've played with other guitars before. The Low E string buzzes if it's hit the wrong way. But, other than that the strings sound okay. I'm using it with the Fender Frontman amp I got it with. It all sounds good clean, but on distortion, the first, third, and fifth pickup settings have static. The tones don't really matter much. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's really playable. It's comfortable to practice with. Everything's snug. I don't think anything's going to fall out anytime soon. The pickups don't really help much though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar plays well. The body's durable too. I haven't had a dent yet. The strap buttons seem solid. I've never played live, but, seeing what others have said, I'd take a backup in case. The hardware doesn't sound/look like it'll need to be repaired anytime soon. The finish seems pretty long lasting. // 7

Overall Impression: I don't play very hardcore stuff, and this guitar plays well. I've been playing for about 2 and a half months, but I've had a bit of experience with a Fender Stratocaster and a Les Paul. This guitar doesn't sound like much compared to either, but if you've never had previous guitar experience, you'd probably love it anyways. I don't think there's anything I should've asked before buying this guitar, I researched it first. And if I got the guitar stolen, I'd prefer a different guitar, but with my budget, I'd have to get this one. But I'd still be happy. There's nothing I particularly like about the guitar, it's my first so I don't really know what to look for in it. What I don't like is the buzzing and the uselessness of the pickups. But other than that, I like it. Most other beginner guitars less than 300 bucks don't compare. I chose this one because my friend who's been playing for 7 years said it'd be the best choice for a beginner package. The package had everything I needed, so I don't really wish it had anything extra. // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: doctor_rocker, on november 12, 2005

Features: This was made in China, relatively new (2003 I think). It has a alderwood body, classic Fender headstock, maple neck with rosewood fretboard. 21 fret, artic white (which is accually a Vintage off-white). It has tremolo bridge, and the input jack is pretty well located; my cable rarely fell out. This guitar has three single-coil pickups, and a 5-way selector, a volume knob, and two tone knobs. Overall all these were decent, but nothing particularly good. // 7

Sound: I play classic rock and metal, and this guitar didnt really work very well for what I was trying to play. While it sounded pretty good clean, this guitar hissed constantly with distortion. I use a Kustom KGA10 and a Behringer halfstack with this guitar. One thing I noticed, though, is that the guitar was much quieter when using the neck/middle pickup configuration or the bridge/middle configuration, but using one alone was noisy. This guitar can handle most genres, but it tends to be loud and noisy on heavier styles, but for blues, classic rock, and stuff like that it does a decent job. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was accually pretty good, better then my newer guitar. The pickups needed a tiny bit of adjusting, but barely any. There were no problems with the guitar when I got it, but the input jack came loose a tad. easily fixed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could stand gigging decently but don't expect the paint job to be perfect. It chips with relatively little force. I've never had a problem with the strap buttons. I would probably gig with this without a backup, it's never really broken. // 7

Overall Impression: For my style of play, this isnt the best choice. I've played for over a year now, and I also own an Ibanex AX, and a few acoustics. If this guitar was stolen or lost or whatever, I don't think I'd replace it. It's pretty good for beginners, but not worth replacing. However, it is very cheap, so for the price this is a rather good guitar. // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Dakin, on december 02, 2005

Features: Read what everyone else has said (mines almost exactly the same). I find the five-way Switch very useful as you can play almost anything with it. Mine's in cream, which put me off at first at first, but I have grown to love it. // 8

Sound: Can give a wide range of sounds (providing you have the right equipment) including a very warm neck pickup, and in middle and bridge you can force some awesome sounds out of it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it second hand from Exeter and it was dusty, the strings were old and the intonation was out. I fixed it all my self, though it would have helped if the people and EMS had done it in advance, but not bad for 60. Apart from that it's great. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Solid. Would be confident gigging it any day. I have dropped it often (I have a poor strap) and it hasn't even dented the paintwork. // 9

Overall Impression: If it was stolen/lost I would buy it again for sure. It sounds good with distortion on my gorilla GG-20 Amp, and the neck pickup is great for soloing and classical jazz. There's nothing I hate about but if I could change one thing it would be the neck, which is pretty bog standard. I have been playing for a while, though this is only my second electric. Overall I love this guitar and if I find the money to upgrade the neck, this guitar will stay with me forever. // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Generalpwnt, on december 28, 2005

Purchased from: A # Music Center

Features: Well, I got this in a pack, which would explain the crazy expensive price for a relatively cheap guitar. It's made in Indonesia ans has 21 frets (rosewood). The body is made of some crappy material from an island in the middle of no where. It's a Strat body, black with the typical Strat bridge but the problem is that there's these lil pointies sticking out of it that gash your palm when you palm mute. I've taken the liberty of removing the old crappy pickups and putting in some Seymour Duncan hot rails. There's the typical vol/tone/tone combination of a Strat on it and the tuners are some Schallers. This baby came w/a case, crappy strap, cable, tuner, and a crappy Fender Frontman 15G. Other than all this ugliness and gashing of the palm I would have to say this is actually a very nice guitar for its price. // 8

Sound: I play neoclassical, and lots of Iron Maiden with this thing. I play through a Frontman, though I'm planning on replacing it with a Fender reverb with an uber metal pedal. When I first got this guitar it had a very thin sound so I replaced the pickups with seymour duncan hot rails. The thing has made sustain now, and you can pretty much playing anyhting with it. I recommend doing a little changing of the wiring so the other tone knob works with the bridge pickup instead od the mid. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is dead perfect. The pickups were a little bit low when I got it but nothing a little work with the screw driver couldn't do. Besides that the thing was in fine condition. The neck feels great, and the strings are spaced nicely to give room for bending. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can certainly withstand live playing as long as your not embarassed to be playing a Squier. The hardware will certainly last, just needs a change in pickups. I would certainly use this guitar w/o a backup and the finish is kinda thin. Lots of chips on this guitar, but it could be my fault for hitting stuff w/ it for no reason. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar matches me. I've been playing for about a year, and it's a very good starter guitar. If this were stolen I would probably just buy a Fender Strat to replace it. I love the pickups and I hate the bridge. Nope, didn't compare, was too much of a beginner back then. I wish this baby had a floyd rose trem tho. // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Features: This guitar is modeled after a standard Fender Strat with 3 single coil pickups, 5-way Switch, Strat body, it however seems to have a slimmer neck and the wide headstock is modeled after the strats from the '70s. Pickups kinda suck. Smooth easy to play on neck. OK but not great features. // 6

Sound: My style is soft rock, with a blues basis. Very John Mayer, Eric Clapton sound. I also play praise and worship at church. I play at church through solid state Crate. I practice through a Behringer practice amp. It can be pretty buzzy if you don't have great cables. Good rhythm sound but not great for lead licks or solos. It works for now until I get my Fender. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: For the most part the guitar is set up ok. the pickguard isn't fastened on very well but other than that I really didn't have much problem with the way it was built. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Personally I wouldn't use it in a gig. Good for practice and jamming, but not gig worthy in my book. It's reliable and durable, but the sound isn't too great. // 7

Overall Impression: For the most part, I like this guitar. But I would much rather have a Fender for sure. I would recomend this to someone who wants to play but not for sure whether they're gonna stick with it. but if you're looking for a Strat, and you've played for any length of time, buy a Fender, trust me, you can feel the difference. // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Aussie boy, on february 04, 2006

Features: I got this guitar for my birthday last year in october. It came in a Strat pak. It has 21 frets and the fretboard is Manogany (I think). The finish is a glossy one and the colour is sunburst. The controls on the guitar are tone, volume, and of course, pickup select0r. It has 3 pickups and also a whammy bar. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of Chili Peppers songs and also alot of U2, so this guitar is perfect (except for some of the U2 songs). The amp I use with the guitar is the one that came in the pack, the Fender Frontman 15G. The guitar has great tone, and sounds very close to a real Fender. The tone is really rich, bright and chunky, mainly when the bass setting is on 10. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up pretty good in the factory, and it doesn't have many flaws. However, the volume and tone control knobs on the guitar come off pretty easy and the washer and the nut around where you plud your lead into sometimes come off, which can be a pain. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I reckon that my guitar could be played live, it seems pretty reliable and everything, but the strap buttons aren't as solid as I'd like them to be (but then again, I don't play while standing up too much). I reckon its always a good idea to have a backup guitar, no matter how good it is, so I would use a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for me. I've been playing about a year now and this is my first electric guitar. I stronly reccomend this guitar to begginer guitarists or anyone who can't afford a Strat. Just one thing though, the whammy bar puts the strings out of tune alot, so I have to keep tuning the guitar alot. Strings also break alot on this guitar. But apart from those minor issues, buy it! // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2006

Features: What can I say about the Squier Affinity Strat? First off all it has a tremlo, a 21 fret neck, a white pick guard, two tone controls and one volume control. It also has a five-way selector for the three pickups. It has a rosewood fret board, a maple neck and an alder body if I'm not mistaken. Mine came with a staticy amp some extra strings, a faux leather strap, and some picks that broke the next day. Well the guitar comes with alot of stuff for a a small price. Gotta give it points for that. // 6

Sound: I mostly play punk, metal and even some classic rock and this guitar gets that done mediocerly. Metal is the worst on this guitar because many of the frets buzz and the the pickups just don't give out a "metallic" sound. But for punk this guitar is just OK. Like I mentioned before the pickups suck and buzz horibbley. The second and fourth selections are the only ones that don't give off the annoying sound. The guitar doesn't do much for an accomplished player but for beginners who play in their rooms I guess this guitar is ok. The tone capabilites are strictly limited because of the buzzing like I said. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar wasn't set up too well and the strings don't line up to the pole pieces. This is a minor flaw. The biggest flaw is the input jack. The stupid thing shakes rattles and rolls. The nut in it gets loose and is hard to fix and the screws holding the jack on came loose and are impossible to screw back on! The pole pieces rust easily as I've only had this guitar for 2 and half years and they are already rusted. The bridge also needs to be set up. With a little fiddling I think I've finally got the saddles at the right height. Very poor. Also I noticed that one of the screws in the bridge fell off and I haven't been able to find it yet. That's one for the books... The finish scratches so easily it's not even funny while the pick guard gets scratched easier. It really ticks you off when you get a new guitar home and it has a huge scratch on it. // 3

Reliability & Durability: The guitar can probably withstand live playing but I would have a backup for sure as this guitar isn't that reliable. The strap buttons are built solid enough just as long as you buy a new strap because the one that comes with it sucks. The hardware will only last if you take care of the guitar and you don't treat it like garbage, even though sometimes this guitar plays like garbage. The finish like I said before isn't very thick and it looks like some little kid painted it on. The finish will wear off near the pick guard I can gaurentee that. This guitar isn't reliable and isn't that durable. // 3

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar since I was eleven and I am now fourteen but don't judge me I practice my ass off. This is the only guitar I own but I am planning to buy either an LTD M-200FM or an Epiphone G-400. Those guitars would leave the Squier Affinity Strat behind. I wish I had known more about guitars before I bought this one because in all honesty I regret buying this one. I've played many other no name Strat rip offs and I think that this guitar isn't all that much better. I've also played many of better guitars such as the Epiphone G-400 and the LTD M-100FM and after playing them I wish that this guitar would be as good as them. If this guitar got stolen I would laugh at the idoit who stole it because there are about a million better guitars out there. I actually hope it gets stolen so I can buy one of the better guitars I've mentioned. Oh well. So a long story short: don't waste your time with this guitar just save up and buy something better. // 4

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: McCheese, on march 20, 2006

Features: Made: 2001. 21 medium jumbo frets, on a rosewood fingerboard and a bolt-on maple neck. It has an alder body. Mine has a brown sunburst finish with a white pickguard. It has a strat-style body with a string-thru body and a standard tremomlo bridge. There is a 5 way pickup selector and 1 volume and 2 tone controls. There are 3 single-coil pickups, and it has chrome hardware. // 6

Sound: I play mostly modern rock, like Green Day, My Chemical Romance, and Blink 182. It can play all these styles and many more. The 3 pickups make it incredibly versatile, with a good blues sound from the neck pickup and a goos rock sound from the bridge pickup. Unfortunately being so versatile, it is not amazingly good at producig a certain type of sound. It's kind of average all round. I use it with some 10 watt Stagg amp, which is also a good all-round average practice amp. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: As soon as this thing came out of the box it was ready to play (just needed tuning a bit). There were no flaws of any kind. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a rock. I've had it for a while now and nothing at all has gone wrong with it, although with the tremolo arm brings it out of tune quite quickly. The hardware will last a lifetime, and it still sounds like it did the day I got it. I wopuld not gig with this, as it just isn't good enough to be played on a large scale, although the strap buttons are very strong. My strap has never come off it. Also, the finish gets scratched and grazed very easily. // 6

Overall Impression: Like other Fender and Squier strats, it suffers for not having humbuckers. In the future I'll probably replace the sungle coils for some mini humbuckers. This guitar is great for modding as almost any part can be replaced with ease. If it was lost I probably wouldn't buy it again. I'd probably get another Les Paul Copy (I have a Vintage V100 which wipes the floor with the Strat). // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: vampwizzard, on april 08, 2006

Sound: I play classic/not so classic rock, and its done an ok job of holding up for the last 3 years. I play it through a Marshall Valvestate combo with a boss flanger and wah pedal. The guitar is very noisy in positions 1, 3, and 5. Pickups have strident tone. As with most strats, it has a wide variety of tonal combinations, however, the sweep is much less noticable on the Squier. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup from the factory was outstanding. We lovingly refered to it as the best playing Squier of the modern era. The pickup heights were perfect, however one adjustment hole on the pickup and pickup cover were broken. The frets were pretty well done. The nut however left much to be desire. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I used this guitar for three years in our gigging band without problems. I broke a couple of strings due to a burr left from a previous string. After polishing the burr out, everything was good again. After 3 years however, the truss rod does not do much for adjustments, and I find it impossible to intonate the darn bugger. // 4

Overall Impression: For the budding guitarists out there who want to move into the electric world, I'd say avoid this guitar. Although it's cheap, quality suffers. If youre thinking about getting into guitar for real, I'd get a Highway One Strat (made in america and only costs 600bucks) or at worst a Standard Strat. If I could adjust the action and intonation on the damn thing id still love it. But it falls apart after several years. // 4

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 10, 2006

Features: I'm not really sure when this guitar was made, but I know it was made in China. There are 21 medium-large frets on a rosewood neck, and its a solid-top, solid-body design, like most Stratocaster shaped guitars. It has a very simple metallic black polyurethane finish, and came with a 1-ply white pickguard. It came with a Syncronous tremolo, which I found was great for a guitar at this price. I've gone to guitar stores and tried other guitars, and this one's tremolo compared to the tremolo of an Ibanez or a Vintage Gretsch, and was very easy to use. There are two tone controls and one volume control, all of which work very well, though I have replaced the original knobs. It has chrome hardware, and standard die-cast non-locking tuners, not any specific brand. The pickup selector works well, I found that at first the pickup selector would always be switching on its own, but after using this guitar for a few weeks, everything was fine. There are three single-coil pickups, though I dont know which kind. Very good for a starter guitar. // 8

Sound: The sound on this guitar was great! The pickups were easy to adjust, and though at some times they were noisy, I found they were great for just about any kind of music. The guitar could make many different sounds just by playing with the tone knobs. I found that if you set the pickup selector between the bridge and middle pickup and turned the tone knob to 0 on the middle pickup, the guitar sounded somewhat distorted and kinda spacey, with a little bit of high end squeal and buzz when the strings were bent. I also found that the combination of bridge and middle pickup, with tone set to full, was much better than just the neck pickup, and acted almost like a humbucker, getting rid of most of the extra noise, and sounded great on distortion on an old Fender amp. Once again, great for a starter guitar! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I think the action on this guitar was good, not too high to make playing hard, but not too low to make it impossible to use a slide. The pickups were adjusted well though I re-adjusted them to suit my playing style. Everything was properly routed, and as far as I'm concerned, there are no flaws whatsoever on this guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take a beating! I play very aggresively, and this guitar has lasted almost 2 years so far, still in perfect condition (or close enough). The strap buttons are pretty good. The top one is fine, but the bottom has given me some problems before, but then I bought a good strap, a Levy's strap, and that seemed to have fixed the problem. This is a very depndable guitar, and if I were on a stage performing, I think that it would last an entire show. I play for at least an hour every day, and if this guitar can last me this long, it'll last ayone else for years! // 9

Overall Impression: I think this is a great guitar for musicians, both beginers and people limited financially, and just anyone else looking for a great guitar at a good price. I've been playing for about two years, and this was my first guitar, I'm getting another soon, next I think I'll get a Jackson RR5 or RR3. My favourite feature on this guitar is that it is very easy to customize the features and make it your own. I would have to say that if you're looking for a new guitar, but you're not sure what to get, buy this, both because it's reliable, and that if you don't like it, you'll probably be able to buy something else. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: FlyOn88, on april 14, 2006

Purchased from: Guzzardo's

Features: Came with a cheap strap and a crappy cord. Standard Fender Strat frets. Body is alder neck is maple/rosewood. Bridge is standard tremolo. 1 volume 2 tone nobs 5-way selector. Non-locking tuners. Candy red color (really wish I had gotten black). // 7

Sound: The sound on this guitar is not as bad as many people would lead you to believe. Most the people who hate this sound bought it without knowing the difference between humbucking and single coil. The sound is close to the Fender Strat but this being a cheap guitar you can't expect it to rival an . I personally am in to Eric Clapton/Hendrix type of stuff and this guitar was good enough for me to start out on. If you buy this guitar and can't afford an upgrade just put in a Hotrails pickup at the bridge and it'll be as good as new. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Heres where this guitar really annoys me. Everthing on the body was fine but the neck had problems. The frets were very abrasive (my fingers would start to bleed after a song with some finger sliding) the wood in general was fine but the Fretboard is one the cheapest I've ever played. It feels like balsa wood. The neck itself was fine and has good action. Anyway I filed down the frets myself (don't attempt if you have no experiance) and sanded the Squier name off the headstock so now it's better. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is tough but I wouldn't gig with it for fear of being laughed off stage. If you really want to, put some better pick ups on and remove the Squier name from the Headstock. The strap Buttons, hard ware etc. seem cheap but tough. The finish is extremely tough. I guess this guitar would be good if you wanted to pull a Pete Townshed and smash your guitar up and/or throw it into the crowd for your last song. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar can be made to match most styles of music. This was my first guitar after switching over from Bass (which I played for four years)and it got me started on my path to being a lead and not just a bassist. I wish I had looked at the price options more. After This I have owned an Epiphone Les Paul 100 and a Lace Huntington which are both much better guitars than this for only $100 more. If it was stolen I'd laugh at the dumbass who stole it. If you like fixer upers this could be a good base for a project guitar or a first guitar, or something to destroy in a live show. Though I will say that it's better than an Epi Les Paul Junior. // 6

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Gimme_GilMORE, on may 16, 2006

Purchased from: Allan's Music

Features: This Affinty Strat was made in China. It has 21 Vintage frets, 3 passive single coil pickups (ceramic), 5-way selector switch, 1 volume, 2 tone knobs tremolo bridge, crappy standard die cast tuners, maple neck and fingerboard, and alder/agathis body. Mine's the Vintage 2-tone sunburst colour. I stress to you all if you are looking at getting one of these things, don't get it in the pack where u can only choose from the solid colours. The sunburst ones may cost a bit more, but the type of wood used is superior. // 8

Sound: This sort of guitar suites my style very well (Pink Floyd, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix), the only thing that I don't like is the fact that I can't get a Jimmy Page distorted humbucking sound out of this (guess I gotta save up and buy a les paul). I'm using a crappy Fender 15G amp with it (this was my first purchase, I didn't know better) but as I'm not currently playing in a band I suppose its not that important, although a tube amp would be nice. The guitar is noisy when near the amp or interference, but it's only really bad when on high gain. This guitar has get a fair variety of sounds, but as I said lacks that little bit of extra grunt of a humbucker. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This was set up surprisingly well from the factory, but as it wasn't out of a Strat Pack box maybe someone from the shop had a tinker with it and improved the set up in order for them to be able to sell it. The action was nice and low. The pickups were well enough adjusted, and the sunburst finish really does look sexy. There were a couple of blemishes on the back of the neck near the headstock and body, and the input jack comes loose, but besides that the set up and finish is quite good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could probably withstand live playing, but with a Squier I wouldn't want to show it in public anyway. The hardware should last, and the finish seems reasonable. All in all a fairly reliable guitar for the price. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good match for the style of music I want to play, and my budget. It was my first guitar, and really I didn't know exactly how to go about buying a guitar. I've been playing for about half a year now and know you could probably get something a bit better for the money. But still this is a good beginner guitar, nice neck profile easy to use etc. If it were stolen I'd save up and buy a Fender Strat or an Epiphone Les Paul depending wat sound I wanted to achieve. One thing I do hate is the fret buzzing on this thing (when you buy it change to 10 gauge strings). My favourite feature is the nice Strat sound you can get out of it despite the shitty pickups and thats probably wat I wish this had, better pickups and electronics. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2007

Purchased from: Argos

Features: This was my first elecric guitar. I had played my granddad's Silver series Japanese Squier Strat and liked that, so I thought I'd get one of my own. It came with a strap, a cheap and nasty lead that broke in a couple of days, some picks, alan keys, tuition booklet (which I never used) and, most importantly, a Fender Frontman 15G amp. The Frontman was pretty good, with some nice clean tones though the distortion was fairly tinny. The guitar itself has 21 frets on a rosewood fretboard. It has a maple neck and a 3-piece laminated alder body. Three single coil pickups, 5-way selector Switch and a "Vintage style" tremolo unit round it off as a Stratocaster. // 9

Sound: This can cover music from blues to punk, but is a bit lacking when used for metal/hard rock with the stock pickups, since they are single coils. This guitar can sound really nice through a decent amplifier (I now have a Roland Cube 60 and have also played it through a Marshall MG100 DFX on numerous occasions), but it's a bit of a tinny sound compared to the Mexican 60t Anniversary Strat I now have. It's also thinner than my Fender, and has nothing like the same sustain, even on high gain. However, I don't find this guitar to be too noisy unless I'm near a computer screen, despite having cheap single coil pickups. All in all, not bad for a beginner. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action as set was spot on, nice and light, and the intonation was perfect. However, what was not done correctly (and I didn't realise of fix until I got my Mexican Strat) was that the tremolo block was sprung so tightly that it lay flat against the body and took enormous effort to produce any change in pitch with the whammy bar. This meant that I basically had to re set-up the whole guitar in order to fix this, but I value the experience! Everything fits together just fine. The finish is ok; the neck has a lovely satin laquer to it and the body's varnish is tough. The sunburst finish was not overly good, and the wood grain it revealed in the centre isn't matched and so looks frankly cheap. However, one thing I do love about this guitar is the neck feels pretty mcuh as good as a Fender, though somehow less solid. For the price these play the best you'll get. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar Live a few times, before I got a better guitar. It stood up fine, and I wouldn't expect any less. This guitar is built solidly despite being cheap. I've dropped it and it's fallen over a few times, and it's only got a few dents to show for it and doesnt't sound or feel the worse for it. The tuning heads seem to hold their tuning well to say they're cheap; they out-perform my brother's Epiphone Les Paul Custom in that respect. However, they're nothing compared to my Mexican Strat; that stays in tune for a week on end even when you use the trem arm! I also found that, when I freed up the tremolo and set that up correctly, the guitar didn't hold it's tuning as well as it might, perhaps that's why the bridge was like that to begin with. The strap buttons are as solid as any out there without using straplocks. Just personal taste I guess, but I used some of the rotating plastic disk type locks for this, as I didn't consider it worth buying replacement strap buttons for the locks. I woulsn't gig with this as a main guitar anymore ebcause the sound just doesn't cut it when I have better guitars to use. I'd keep it as a backup though. // 8

Overall Impression: I play general rock and punk music and this guitar kept me going well form a while, until I got my Fender. As previously mentioned, the guitar is decent for the price and should satisfy any beginner, but matched to professional guitars such as my Mexican Strat and Cyclone HH, it just doesn't come close, and so I'm thinking of selling it on just to pay off the Cyclone. I bought this from Argos without playing it first, and I wouldn't ever do that with a guitar these days, since you never know what you're getting. However, I got lucky and a my Squier is pretty nice for the money. Most of the Squiers I have played are also nice for the money, so presumably it's safe to buy these without playing first, especially since they're so cheap. Overall, nice action, good feel, sound above average for the price but lacks sustain and can be a bit tinny. The finish is a bit lame but that's probably just my specific guitar. Great guitar for the money or for a beginner. It could also be modified to make a low- intermediate guitar for an extra 100 or so (e.g. putting Fender stock pickups in it and getting some better tuners), though I personally won't do this as I have the real thing now. 8/10 considering the price, aiming at beginners. If you want a pro's guitar then you probably know for yourself that these won't cut it just as they are from the factory. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 16, 2007

Features: Made in Indonesia, this 21 fret Squier Strat features a 5-way selecter between three crappy single coil pickups and two worthless tone knobs and a volume knob. It has a pretty comfortable neck and a whammy bar thats fun to use but knocks the guitar out of tune. If you buy the Srat Pack you get some ho-hum picks, a short cord, a strap that constantly falls off the buttons (I reccomend strap locks) and a little Frontman amp that doesnt sound very good. The pack also comes with headphones and a guitar method book to help you learn how to read music on guitar (it also teaches you how to read music period, I already knew because I play saxophone but it really helped apply it to guitar). // 6

Sound: I play mostly rock ranging from Metallica to Nirvana to Green Day (simple but fun)to Three Days Grace and other stuff, even The Beatles occasionaly. The guitar can handle this stuff but only because I play on a Spider II modeling amp. The Frontman included can't really make a wide range of sounds because it has a decent clean setting and really bad fuzzy distortion. The guitar is very noisy! Crackling, humming, all that jazz. The Frontman included sure doesnt't help but I still get this on my Spider. To it's advantage though there is less noise if you set it to combine to pickups. The 5 settings can get you a variety of sounds, but only to a certain extent. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, it was all together except for the whammy bar. Sure it was a little out of tune but at least the strings were wound. I like the action on this guitar, seems nice and low. I'm no expert on tweaking the pickups or anything so I can't comment on that. But I have played on my friend's Standard Strat (different from this type which is the affinity) and I didn't like the action. It was very high and uncomfortable but the whammy bar was easier to use. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty reliable except that it's poorly put together. The screws are constantly stripping and the nut on the place where you plug in the guitar is always falling off. I've only noticed one little scratch on it, even though there could be a lot more. Other little nicks are my fault, like when I was hitting the splash cymbals on my friends drum set with the head (that was fun). // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a year or two but I play a lot so I'm pretty good. I'm nothing special though. This has been a good starting guitar but if it were lost/stolen I would not try to replace it but instead get another guitar, maybe an Epiphone G-400 or a Washburn. I don't really hate anything except the pickups, I wish it had a humbucker but I don't love anything about it particularly either. It's really nice that the Strat Pack comes with an amp and stuff to get me stared, so it's really good for starters but for experienced players you should keep looking, and I think it's time to move on for me (wish I had the money to upgrade). // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 26, 2007

Purchased from: Kosmic Sound

Features: This factory made guitar has 21 frets, it's a solid body electric with a Strat body, has a synchronous tremolo bridge (no locking nut, so it goes out of tune easily if you use the wammy bar too heavily), there's a 5-way pickup selector, a volume nob, and 2 tone nobs, there's a bridge pickup, a lead pickup and a rythmic style pickup (all single coil), non-locking tuners, and I bought it just by itself. // 7

Sound: I play mainly rock, blues, a bit of classical/accoustic stuff and a bit of metal. This guitar suits it perfectly! You can get so many different sounds out of this guitar. I'm currently using a Dean 15 wat amp, this goes well and has great distortion (better than my old Telecaster copy). This guitar does have a lot of hum. you need 2 get it shielded (look this up in a guitar book, or on the internet if you don't know how). The guitar can make a whole lot of different sounds from Hendrix to Lynyrd Skynyrd, to Led Zepppelin, to Neil Young. I could go on all day! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was not set up as I would like it, when I went to shield it, it was quite difficult due to there been a lot of glue used in the making. The pickups were adjusted well, the bridge was routed well. This guitar had a lot of hum and a rattle on the 6th string (hitting the truss rod when I played), but I fixed these by shielding it and adjusting my truss rod (again look up "adjusting guitar truss rod" on the internet if you don't know what this is). You will need a alemm key to adjust the truss rod, which will come with the guitar if you buy it at a guitar store (if you buy it off e-bay or from a pawn store you might not get this). // 6

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will withstand live playing, the hardware will probably last, the strap buttons are very solid, I can always dpend on my Strat, but my strings need replacing about once every 1-2 months because the strings flake easily (I don't recommend Bullet strings, get other ones). I think this guitar is good enough to last any player. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a perfect guitar for me at the moment, I've been playing it for about two months (as of February 24, 2007), I wish I had of asked if this guitar was shielded, but I didn't, this was OK because I got it shielded for free (I did this with my friend Who knows a lot about guitars). If this guitar was stolen or lost, I'd probably wanna buy a Fender Stratocaster or an electric guitar with a locking nut mechanism. The thing I love is the asthetics (looks). Mine's black and if you apply a coat of methylated spirits, it's all shiny and cool! The main thing I hate is that it goes out of tune easily if you use the wammy bat 2 much, but I don't use it that often so it doesn't really matter, my favourite feature is the pickups and the volume nob. I compared this to some les pauls but I didn't really like the feel of LP'S or the pickups, so I got a Strat instead. I wish this had a locking nut mechanism, but wat r you gonna do! // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Greekdrlove, on march 01, 2007

Features: I havew this guitar since 2003. It was made in 2001 in China. It has 21 medium\jambo frets amazingly comfortable and a rosewood fretboard. It has a solid top, Maple and a normal sunburst finish. It's equiped with a Vintage tremolo brigde. One volume knob and two for middle and neck pickup tone knobs. 3 Single coils with a 5-way selector. The tuners are non-locking, nickel plated. These characteristic looking at the price are really great! // 8

Sound: I am playing classic rock, blues, pop rock, and also hard shreding solos. My Strat really gives me all I need but there is a small annoying sound when overdrive is high. I use a lot of effects, and because of my 3 single coil pickups I can almost do anything. These pickups are not too hot but they can do a lot with my pedals and in clear sounds and bright styles, the rule! And all these for 200E. Brilliant! // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is a good pollished and made guitar. It's a hummer, that means that it is long life and very comfortable. You just can't find any other more easy playin' and comfortable guitar that the Stratocaster. The pickups were adjusted pretty well and there was no sigh of scraches or anything else like that. It's a great machine, with the best value-money Status! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, when equiped with a good effent device, it can be used Live with no problems. But if there are no pedals, then you have to use as little dist as possible. because of the annoying sound. The hardware is good, and I suggest service every 3 years. The finish is fine but without attention it can easily be scrached, but it's not so important because stratocasters are Vintage, so it's not so bad to look like Rory's signature! // 7

Overall Impression: I own 2 Gibsons, two Febders and this Squier. So I know a lot about money payed, value, sound, constraction etc. All I have to say is that You have pay 200E to buy a Squier (by Fender) Affinty series guitar, that is excellent for beginners, great sound when used in clear channel, really versatile sound like no other model and best value-money Status worldwide. So for it's money. It's fabulous! // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Shannock, on december 21, 2007

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Features: Made 2006 Indonesia 21 frets, narrow neck. Rosewood fretboard on a maple neck with alder body. Stratocaster body. Colour black gloss. Usual 3 single coil pickups, 2 tone controls 1 volume control 5 pole selector Switch. String thru body bridge fully adjustable. Tremelo arm. Non-locking generic tuners. Came with Fender strap, 3 Fender picks, tuition DVD and Fender Frontman 15R amp. Allen key for truss rod and spare tremelo spring and long lead. // 8

Sound: I am into 60'2 music especially Hank Marvin and The Shadows. I have recently acquired a Zoom 508 delay pedal, and am awaiting delivery of a Fender Frontman 65R amp. to bring out the full potential of this guitar. I also have a Zoom G1X multi-effects pedal. I was really surprised at the rich full sounds I am getting from this guitar. This is in part due to the fact I immediately replaced the Fender Strings with RotoSound 9's. I am considering getting Golden Sixties next time, or RotoSound Pinks (13-52).The tone difference in the pick-ups is very noticeable, exactly as it should be. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have not had to touch any part of the set-up. The narrow neck may be off-putting to some people, but the neck is so silky smooth as to make it a very quick action. I quite like the narrow neck, as I find that a wider neck tends to give me cramp very quickly. The nut could have been better finished, but this is such a minor thing. The body finish is immaculate. (I always wanted a red Strat, but I find black rather cool). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would quite happily play this guitar Live. I will consider getting locking machine heads, and also strap button "stops". It is solid, and not much lighter than the "real thing". Reliability and durability: certainly built to last, and appears perfectly reliable. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said, I am into '60s and Shads music. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely by a Fender Strat next time, although I would quite happily have a Squier as a "backup". I also own a Yamaha Acoustic, with a clip-on pickup. I have been playing guitar for 50 years. My last electric was actually a Framus Electro/Acoustic. I play for my own amusement, so I am not particularly worried about backups. I am very pleased with what I have got. // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: musiclover_92, on december 22, 2007

Purchased from: Midwest Music

Features: It is a Strat. It has 3 passive single coil pickups with 5 way switching for neck, neck/middle, middle, middle/bridge, and bridge. It has a solid top in an Olympic white finish, I think. it has a two point tremolo bridge with string through body. It has the 2 tone and 1 volume controls. My Strat still has the stock pups. It also has non locking tuners, made in 2006 in Indonesia, it came with a gig bag, amp, tuner, strap, picks, book, etc. // 8

Sound: I play jazz, rock, country, and blues, it suits rock and country well and I use an Epiphone Les Paul Studio for jazz and blues at the school for jazz band. I use a Fender 15G Frontman II amp with it and currently no effects. It does produce hum and has a bright sound. The sound of the guitar doesn't have much variety but the tremolo is worth having. the only difference in sound happens with the tone pots being changed. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set perfect, the pickups were set up perfect as well. All of the hardware was set up perfectly also, none of the tuners were out of place, the saddles in the bridge are good. There are almost no flaws in the guitar, the pickups sound weak at times but that is the only flaw, the selector has no sound to it, the only noticeable sound is the change from the output of the pups. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood Live playing and can go w/o a backup, although one wouldn't be bad. The hardware is durable. It wouldn't hurt to have straplocks on any guitar. That is good insurance right there. I have dropped it (on accident) and it didn't even go out of tune. The finish hasn't even scratched. I do depend on it a lot along with my Epi LP Studio. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, I play rock, jazz, blues, and country and it does well for some styles, I prefer this guitar for rock and country but do prefer the LP for jazz and blues do to the warm HB sound. I have only been playing for nine months but am already in the school jazz band which I know usually takes longer to get in. I learn really fast, I learned all the scales and pentatonic scales, I am learning theory and music. I can play really well for someone playing less than a year, I have already written about 10 unique songs (but I can't record them, bummer). I can't thin of anything I needed to know before purchasing, just make sure it is setup. I would buy it again due to it being so inexpensive (not cheap). I love it because it sounds great, I love the Strat tone. I do hate the string changing process on it, It is easier on a Tune-O-Matic bridge. I love the tremolo, a lot, I mnean it, it is fun to play solos on. It compares with all the other Squier products and low end Fender branded and holds it's own, IT is better than alost all cheap Strat copies, I chose it for the brand, Squier (by Fender) and the warranty was better than all the other places in Enid, ok. I wish it had straplocks stock. // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: 5dilloneastoe, on january 07, 2008

Features: Don't know when it was made. My sister gave it to me when she left for university 2 years ago and it is now 7 years old. My first guitar. 21 frets, rosewood fretboard, sunburst finish, Strat style, string thru body, one volume two tone controls, 5-way selector. 3 single coil pickups. // 7

Sound: It suits my style because it is versatile and can manage anything from Green Day to Arctic Monkeys and the Kooks. I mainly play pop-punk and occasionaly britrock. I use it with a 160 watt or 300 watt Peavey amp and a Boss Overdrive/Distortion OS-2 pedal. It buzzes but this can be expected from a cheap guitar. It can range from crunchy bassy blues tones to angry overdriven sounds with the pedal. the clean sound is good, but I don't use it much // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how it was at the factory but when I received it it was well set up and was great for me to learn guitar with. One of the tone controls is a bit loose but I don't really bother with that. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been heavily used for 7 years and the only thing wrong is a couple of scratches from me attacking the door and problems with the output socket. I don't play live but use it a lot and it is fine. The hardware is fine other than the output. The strap buttons have only troubled me a few times. I played at a concert and it never even crossed my mind to have a backup. The finish will only be ruined by actually being dropped or hit on things. // 9

Overall Impression: This works well with my pop-punk style and my good amp and pedal. I have been playing for 4 years and can play most of the material that I want to play. If it were stolen/lost I would probably go for a Fender or Epiphone to make a step up. I love it's versatility, I don't like the look of the rosewood fretboard, I think maple looks better. also people see you with a Strat and immediately think you are rubbish which annoys me a lot. I wish it had a humbucker in the bridge to make the sound perfect. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2008

Purchased from: Roadhouse, Boston

Features: This is a Squier by Fender. It was made in china and since I got it a few months ago it's been great. It's basicaly Fender Stratcaster that's been toned down. It's a Standard guitar. Good for beginners. I have a Fender American Stratocaster and so I bought the Squier because the frets are the same size. Because it's a fairly Standard guitar it doesn't get many points because it's been stripped down a lot. // 7

Sound: This guitar sounds the same as a Fender. I have a fairly Standard amp so it will sound good on most amps. there's a bit to much bass sound though I must say though. Another annoying thing is that you can't de-tune it more than Drop D. So doing Drop B or Drop C songs you can forget about. It just keeps going out of tune. So if you do get this and I recommend you do, keep it in the Standard E tuning. Drop B or whatever can be done but you have to re-tune after every song. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has been really well set up. There are no problems at all. This guitar woul be very good for gigging. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been well made. It can take knocks and bumps like any other guitar. Like all guitars it wouldn't survive lots of drops or drops from big heights but other guitars can't either. I bought this guitar because I'm scared for my American Fender Strat because I paid 850 pounds for it so I wouldn't want to knock it // 10

Overall Impression: I play all styles. From soul and jazz to metal. I've been playing guitar for almost 2 years now and I'm in a band and this guitar is very useful for taking to practices because we practice in a dirty/dusty garage. If this was lost or stolen I would search hard for it. It's very special to me because I've got really attatched to it. It's that good! This guitar is capeable of all genre's of music. Guitars like Ibanez, B.C. Rich and Gibson were built for rock only. The Squier is good because when I go to college I don't want to do just rock. I like a wide range of musical styles. // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: metalman6669, on january 21, 2008

Features: The guitar is a 2003 Squier Affinity series Strat. It has a thin 21 jumbo fret neck. The body is basewood with a cheap rosewood neck. It came with a crappy blue finish and 3 single coil pickups. The tremolo is bad, but all the hardware seems solid. It came with a mediocre Fender Frontman 15G amp, the distortion was so bad it sounded like an electrical problem. It also came with a case, strings, tuner, and pics. // 7

Sound: I got this guitar back when I was a noob and played rock like (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, etc.) and it suited that style pretty well. Now I'm currently playing melodic death metal so the stock version is pretty much useless to me. I was playing through the 15g frontman the guitar package came with. Let me tell you if any frontman went on stage with that amp they would be booed off the stage. I now use it through a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt combo and it sounds a hell of a lot better. The pickups do buzz pretty loud, but that is expected from cheap single coils. It can make some decent sounds with the right settings. It also sounds good through a wah pedal. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup pretty good out of the box from what I remember. I prefer my action low so I had to lower it a bit, but other that that it was fine. The pickups were like right up to the strings tho so I had to lower them to prevent buzz. Everything seemed to be routed properly and the guitar contained no noticeable flaws. The only problem I ever had with it was the input jak came loose quite a bit, but that was no big deal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I definately would not play this thing Live, I think of it more as a home pratice guitar. Although I do believe it would withstand a Live show but I would recomend strap locks just to be safe. I could depend on it as a last resort, (second backup). The finish can chip or scratch if your not careful, but that really isn't a big deal, as long as it plays were good. // 8

Overall Impression: I play melodic death metal and this guitar would not suit that genre. I have been playing for about 5 years and own 6 other higher end guitars (ESP, Ibanez, Dean). so if it was stolen I would be bummed because after all it was my 1st guitar, but I would move on without it. I loved the feel of it, I had fun with the tremolo, and had some all around good times jammin with it back in the day. I would definately reccomend this guitar to any beginner because, it is a quality guitar for an inexpensive price, and a great way for a beginner to kick off and advance further into their guitar playing career. // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 22, 2008

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This guitar was "crafted in China", I am not sure of the year though. It's got 21 jumbo frets and a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. It has a solid top and an alder body with a black polyeurthane finish. It has a Strat styled contoured body and a string through body bridge with a whammy bar. It's got 1 volume and 2 tone controls and a 5-way pickup selector switch. It's got three single coil pickups and Standard die cast tuners and.9 strings. It also has a 1.41" nut. // 8

Sound: I play mostly rock and other poular guitar classics, and I think this guitar handles it all pretty well. I use it with a Fender G-DEC pro amp which might make it sound a lot better than it normally would. The guitar is a bit noisey but with more than one pickup in use it cuts down the noise to almost silence. The guitar does not make a huge variety of sounds between pickups but if you adjust the tone knobs on the guitar and then Switch pickups you will notice a diffrence in sound just not a trmendous change, in other words you get what you pay for or slightly more. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was not set up all that well but I got that taken care of free of charge, and now everything seems how it should be. After getting the guitar looked at the action is fine. Pickups were adjusted well and the bridge was routed properly. The guitar has one tiny pait chip but other wise no noticable flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think you should be able to use this guitar live. The hardware will last a long time with proper care. overall this guitar is very strong and I think it could survive a bomb blast, The strap buttons are pretty awful though. I've had at least 4 almost drops. The finish along with the guitar should last a while, but if playing at a gig I recomend a backup just in case. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar fits most styles of music pretty well. If I had more cash I would still rather have an American Stratocaster, but this comes relativly close. I love this guitars feel. I wish the pickups were a bit better and it had a two point tremolo bridge. Lastly a word of warning, many reviews say this guitar sucks many say it's great. Overall I wold give my guitar an above average rating. But with this guitar I think it is hit or miss on wheather or not you get a good one so I recomend testing it at the store first before buying it. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: gillehy, on march 12, 2008

Purchased from: www.Reidys.com

Features: This guitar is quite good, I know it's got bad reviews but mine is good for what I paid. I bought this for about 150 and it came with a Fender Frontman 15G amp, a case, a few extra Fender picks, Fender tuner, Fender head phones, strap, a Fender patch cord and a few other things. it's ok for beginners the amp isn't too hot tbh but hell this is about the guitar. I've dropped, it smashed it on the floor, taken a chunk out of my door and nearly put it through a window and not even chipped the paint very sturdy. It's a 5-way tone selector and has two tone knobs and one volume. The tone knobs do work, you n00bs below Who say they don't must be very tone death! It has 21 jumbo frets (alright would be better with 22). The pickups are alright but nothing to shout about. Make sure you change the strings though the stocks are useless, once you've done this it'll stay in tune. // 9

Sound: I play indie, punk, rock and abit of metal. You get a bit of hum off the pickups but nothing major unless you crank the gain up to 10 then you can listen to the god radio channel on the thing (not joking, it's happened). Keep it in low gain or just select to use 2 pickups and it's great. It's good for customizing, the pickups and scratchplate are easily replaced and it comes together easily. I'm looking to add a new chrome scratchplate and a custom light pane to it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problem it has when you get it are the strings change them. Then you need to tune and play it's really good. Keeps tuning well after that. I haven't had any problems with mine at all. The pickups came set in the right position, the knobs and Switch work great. Tip glue on the knob on the selector Switch it can come loose. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like I said I've dropped it, smashed it on the floor, taken a chunk out of my door and nearly put it through a window and there isn't even a chip in the paint work. The nut on the output needs tightening though it comes loose a lot. The straps fine I carried it around town on my back for an hour once and the strap stayed on fine. I would have to have a backup if I used it to gig though, I would probably use a Fender though to tell the truth when gigging. But this would be a good backup. // 9

Overall Impression: It's great, cheap and good to learn guitar on. great for customizing. All you need for a first guitar really and it will last. I will kepp this until it breaks. Hopefully not because I love this guitar. If your considering it as a first guitar buy it and you wont regret it it's amazing. If you just thinking of getting one then buy it it's brilliant for the experienced player too. It's the best Stratocaster style guitar I've seen apart from the Fender. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 14, 2008

Purchased from: Speed Music

Features: This is a review for a blue 2001 Affinity Series Squier Strat bought as part of a beginner's pack (this is before the frontman pack so it didn't come with a 15g or whatever). Mine had 21 frets, a rosewood fingerboard and the usual 3 single coil pickups, 3 controls, 5-way selector and tremelo. The set included a 20w 'Panther' amp, tuner, crappy gig bag, basic nylon strap and a bag of Fender picks. // 6

Sound: I play mostly punk and alt. rock music, so the Strat is a staple choice. The general 3 pickup setup suits most kinds of music though I wouldn't really recommend it to the kind of people Who want to play metal (it's just not pointy enough, go get an Ibanez or ESP or Jackson or something). Sound quality overall is good even through the amp it came with which was unfortunately the victim of a stray foot at a practice. I now play it through a Zoom G1X pedal and Marshall MG series amplifier and it still produces a well-rounded sound although there is a small amount of buzz at high volume. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups and action needed a slight adjustment when I got it, but this can be sorted without having to get it set up at a music store (that's far too expensive for a guitar this cheap). The bridge, neck and finish were fantastic and had no visible flaws. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged this guitar several times in the last seven years and I'm proud to say it is still in good shape. It's lightweight and so allows for a lot of movement when onstage with minimal discomfort. The original hardware is still all intact with no signs of rust or looseness and it holds tune wonderfully. There was an incident with the whammy bar that I don't like to talk about, but it's a feature that's not really necessary for me. The strap buttons were a big problem, extremely temperamental, they had a habit of throwing my strap off so I replaced them with locking ones. Also, one of the tone knobs has loosened through years of abuse. It has been used without a backup on many occasions, there wasn't enough room for another guitar in the car and even though I've dropped it more times than I can remember, the finish is for the most part still great and the dings that can be seen give it character. (not totally sure how much of the original blue is left really to be honest, there are a lot of stickers on it). // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar for punk music, has lots of character and can be very powerful with the right equipment backing it up. This was my first guitar, so I've been playing since sometime in september 2001. I now have a Line 6 Spider II, Marshall MG100DFX, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Les Paul Custom. I wish I'd asked the sales assistant if it came in a more exclusive colour, though. If it were lost or stolen, I'd be pretty annoyed because it has a lot of sentimental value to me and we've been through a lot together. I'd probably make the stretch and buy a Fender Telecaster as a replacement though, for sheer versatility, looks and quality they surpass Squier. I love that this guitar has taken so much punishment and is still in one piece, the ease with which it can be modified is also impressive. All I need is a replacement pickguard and this is going to get a refit with a double-coil in the bridge position. Compared to the other beginner guitars I tried at the time I bought this, it was far superior. The quality of sound, finish and good looks made it a no-brainer decision. Everything I could possibly wish this guitar had can be added without too much difficulty. It is really easy to change the parts and relatively inexpensive to buy mods for. // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 27, 2008

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Features: Since my last review December 21 2007, I have fitted Wilkinson locking tuners (cost 14.99), which seems to have cured any tuning problems, even after heavy use of the tremolo arm. I have also fitted a loaded scratchplate with 3 GFS '64 greybottom staggered pickups. This also has had the following mod, top tone control is a master for all 3 pickups. Bottom tone control works like this, bridge p/up selected and tone on 10, bridge pickup. Dial it back to minimum you get bridge/neck combination. // 10

Sound: The sound I am now getting is absolutely astounding. A very '60s "surfy" sound. Bright and clear, and with using the combinations of p/ups, very mellow "jazzy" sound. The bridge/neck combination especially gives a sound almost reminiscent of an early Telecaster. For my style of music, '60s especially Shadows style, this is virtually perfect. Fitting the locking machine heads has made a difference to the sound also, no more out of tune after tremolo. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I thought that the factory finish was pretty smooth, but my nephew, who is a guitar tech. did a few small "tweaks" on the string heights, and it really is now a perfect set-up. The action along the neck is still so smooth and comfortable. He also relieved the string guides in the nut, and showed me the trick of applying a little pencil lead to them, and to the underside of the string trees. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would quite happily gig with this, forget the Squier tag as being inferior. With a few small mods., and for the sake of another 50, I have got a 300-400 guitar for about 150 (the practice amp was in the original package price). As I said before, the finish is immaculate, and the guitar appears to be well put together (the body is one-piece alder by the way, I checked when I replaced the p/ups). // 10

Overall Impression: If this were stolen, apart from buying a Fender Strat, I would definitely track the thief down. For a beginner, or even someone playing for their own enjoyment, this is a pretty good guitar. So all you numbskulls out there, please don't knock it just because it's a Squier. // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: ~Shred Hero~, on april 03, 2008

Sound: It suits all of my music styles which include rock, hardcore, and metal. I use both a Vox AD30VT 30 Watt Stereo 10 Inch Combo Guitar Amplifier and a Fender Sidekick. Effects wise I use a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, a Boss TR-2, and a Danelectro Flanger pedal along with various effects built in my Vox. It can be noisy, especially if you have it on the Neck only pickup. I recently replaced the pickups with much more expensive ones and I have no more problems. It can play anything really. It feels nice as well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar is fairly decent. If you use thick strings you might get a lot of buzz. The pickups are alright, but not the greatest. I suggest replacing them if you can. When I purchased the guitar the only problem was the pickups really. There just kinda buzzy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live playing. I dropped my guitar twice and the only outcome was a small chip which I fixed. This is more of a starter guitar. You should get a few years but nothing drastic out of it. The strap buttons are solid. If you plan on doing guitar spins, strap locks are a must. I can definatly depend on it. If I had a backup I would def. use it though, just in case. The finish is great. I've been working the hell out it for over a year now it still plays liek the first day I bought it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a range of: rock, hardcore, metal, and such. I've been playing for a little over a year now. If it was stolen I wouldn't replace it. Like I said, it's more of a beginner's guitar. If you mod it you will get a better sound out of it but if it breaks just get a higher class guitar. I love its feel, its sound (after modding), and its looks (both before and after modding it). // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Ryancaster, on april 12, 2008

Features: What I have here is an artic white Squier Affinity Strat. It is fully endorsed and backed by Fender wich was a big selling point for me. I purchased it as part of "Strat Pack" and it came with a Fender 15 watt frontman amp, strap, gig bag, guitar cord, whammy bar, extra Fender string, wich I promptly replaced and some picks. It's a solid alder body with a bolt on maple neck, wich sports a 21 medium fret rose wood neck. I'm not shure what the tuning keys are, they have no name but seem to work good and it stays in tune pretty well, even when bending strings and slammin' the whammy hendrix style. The bride is a Standard "Vintage" style tremolo that is found on most lower end strats. This axe has a 5 way selecter Switch, 1 volume and 2 tone knobs and 3 single coil pickups. This particular Strat was made in 2006 and came from Indonesia. // 8

Sound: I've only recantly started playing guitar but I know sound pretty well. I try play every thing from accoustic blues to Metallica The guitar itself sounds real good on a better bigger amp. The little frontman sounds like shit, tin shit. The volume only realy goes to about 5 then it just gets more distorted the more you turn it up. The guitar itself is a little noisy, but if you wanted to replace the pickups I think it would kill the noise. The volume knobworks good, no static. The lower/bride tone knob is the only one that seems to do anything and that dosen't do much. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up pretty well from the factory and only needed minor adjustment to the action, the pickups were adjusted fine. The one major flaw is the output for the cord. It constantly, constantly comes loose. I just put a little dab of loctite on the threds, problem solved. THe finish is kind of thin and it will crack very easily. // 7

Reliability & Durability: AS far as Live playing goes it would do prety well. The hardware is solid and would hold up in a gig. The strap buttons seem good I think the cheap strap itself was the problem, thas how I found out the finish cracks easily. I think if I were to play a gig I would want a backup for any guitar, just in case. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I thinkthat for the money this is a very good reliable guitar. Sadly the best thing about the "Strat Pack" is the guitar the accesories are for the most part junk. For someone starting out with the guitar it's agreat buy and I'm glad I bought it. I would rate the guitar about a 7 and the gear with it about a 4. If by some act of god I actualy lost my axe or someone stole it I would buy another one, just not the package deal. The only thing I wish this guitar had is tone knobs that actualy did something. My opinion is if you like the Stratocaster and want to go cheap or don't have much money this the guitar for you! // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: andyd93, on april 29, 2008

Purchased from: Dawsons

Features: Made in China in 2002. It has 22 medium/jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. The bodi is made of basswood, but other woods like agathis can be used (this all depends on whether it is made in Indonesia or China). This is to lower the overall cost of the completed instrument. The body style is a very close copy of a Strat as it is made by Fender itself, but it is just a second-line version, made with slightly cheaper materials. The bridge is a simple synchronized trem system. If you wish to play metal and use the trem to death, I do not recommend this guitar to you and no matter how much you alter the existing trem, it will never really stay in tune perfectly, I would recommend either buying a locking trem system i.e. a Floyd Rose or a copy of a Floyd Rose (cost around 120 at it's cheapest). The controls given are a volume knob, two tones (middle and treble) and a pickup selector. The pickups are in SSS configuration, very basic Squier pickups that don't actually have names, I am thinking of buying some new ones once I have some more money to blow. The tuners are non-locking, but they aren't too bad. I recommend removing the two dovetail shaped nuts on the headstock as these create a lot of friction on the strings, which put it right out of tune. I got the basic Squier package, strap, cable, a few picks and a Fender Frontman 15R amp. // 8

Sound: It suits my style quite well, I play mostly blues, classic rock and a bit of metal here and there, and it handles them all pretty well for what is classed as a cheap guitar. I don't use many effects, only really my Ibanez TS9 Turbo Tubescreamer and the reverb, flanger, chorus and delay that are built into my amp (Marshall MG50DFX). There isnt really much buzz from the guitar, you can only really hear it when you turn it right up and listen hard. There isnt really much variety in this instrument, but you can gain most tones by using certain effects, a very plain tone, a kind of 'blank canvas'. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was a bit crap to be honest. It was my first proper guitar, and even I (I was an 11 year old n00b just starting to play at the time) could notice the flaws in set-up. Where the plate comes out from under the strings, and there is the screw to the left of the neck pickup, the plate kind of bends up, like a small hill, so you can see the springs either side of the pickups. I rang the shop I bought it from, and this did not come into the warranty agreement, so they could do nothing, and there is no way of getting it down. After changing the scratchplate, nothing has changed. The pickups were also adjusted badly, they were very un-even, the low side of the neck was actually touching the strings! The bridge was balanced well, but being a Squier bridge, this did not really matter. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I have played one or two school concerts with the guitar, both handled quite well, but I wasn't really playing what I would normally play. If I was playing a proper gig, using my preference in styles and genres, I think I would definately have to take backup with me. The hardware is pretty good quality I guess, never had any problems with it myself. The strap buttons were ok before I got rid of them and bought some straplocks (I have straplocks on all of my guitars apart from my Line 6). I have one or two parts of the finish that have flaked off, but nothing too conspicuous. // 8

Overall Impression: As long as you have the right effects and amp by your side, this guitar wont really go wrong. It can work with many different styles of playing. This would be a good choice for any beginner Who is serious about learning and willing to upgrade from a no-name, cheap first guitar like I did. I have been playing for about 4 years, and I still enjoy playing my Squier, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it! I don't think could have asked for any more than this for the money I spent on it. If it was stolen or lost, I would be very sad that I had lost my first proper guitar, but I would probably not replace it because whatever I bought just wouldn't be the same. I like its simplicity, and the fact that it has all the features of a Strat with a much better price tag. I don't like the fact that these can be slightly inconsistent out of the factory, but not inconsistent to the point of being a piece of junk. If anything, I wish it had slightly better pickups as Standard and possibly a better bridge, but apart from that, it's all good! // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 14, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Mine is the 20th Anniversary Squier Affinity. It's made in China, has a rosewood neck and 22 medium jumbo frets. The finish is a glossy sunburst that looks beautiful; it may be a cheap guitar but it doesn't half look pretty! I bought this guitar second hand on eBay, it was the second guitar I ever bought and now, years later I have finally got round to writing a review for it. I won't bore you with the gritty details because I'm sure other reviews have stated it's features already. The only thing I will say is that it has a nice, chunky headstock which is seriously vintage! Being a 20th Anniversary edition, it also has a cool emblem on the metal plate on the back, a nice touch on a cheap guitar! // 9

Sound: This guitar doesn't sound bad at all. In fact, there isn't really that much difference between this and a Standard Strat. The neck pickup gives a warm, rich sound which is perfect for playing blues chords and whatever. However, Steer clear of the bridge pickup as this can Hurt your ears! Seriously, the sound it produces isn't very nice at all; I have heard it been compared to an ice pick attacking the ear drums! This is the guitars only flaw, and although it is a bit of a let down, it's is easily resolved by simply keeping the Switch towards the neck pickup and adjusting tone controls via the amp. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar second hand and therefore it was probably setup to the specification of the previous owner. Since I bought it I haven't felt the need to change anything on it. The action is low which is good for beginners and stings are easy to press down. I prefer to have 9 gauge strings on all my guitars, and something worth noting is that on this guitar, the stings are much harder to bend. Not really a problem, it just requires some adjustment i.e. slightly stonger finger bending. There are absolutely no faults with this guitar and seems as though it was very carefuly made. The bridge is properly in place, as are the pickups, and obviouly the neck is straight and sturdy. Nothing worth mentioning really. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Simply, this guitar would have no problem with live playing. It's hardly going to fall apart. This guitar would last for a long, long time and I know this because it is built in virtually the same way as the most successful guitar ever; the Fender Stratocaster. All hardware is fine, and absolutley nothing to worry about. Finish is tough as well, although after 7 years mine has a few dints and cracks. I would always gig with a backup, but 99.9% of the time, this guitar would not let you down. // 10

Overall Impression: You've probably heard already that this is a cheap guitar ideal for beginners, and indeed this is very true, however, I believe that for the money this guitar goes beyond all expectations. I have been playing electric guitar for years and own a selection of guitars including this guitars bigger brother; a Standard Strat and I still find myself picking it up and getting huge satisfaction from playing it! It's a lot lighter than a Standard Strat and slightly smaller, and it's just so playable. I believe this guitar is seriously under-rated, the only thing holding this guitar back from being a highly rated, credible guitar is the name on the headstock. Squier is seen stereotypicaly as the cheap and cheerful introductuary guitar for beginners. No guitarist wanting to turn pro would be seen anywhere near this guitar becuase of the image given off by Squier. This is such a shame because this guitar is almost faltless. If this guitar was stolen, I would be devastated, probably more so than most other, more expensive, guitars I have owned. // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: asfastasdark, on august 15, 2008

Features: Made in Indonesia. Don't know what year though. 21 frets, but a nice thin maple neck, with a rosewood skunk stripe along the back, all satin finish. The body has a solid top, of course, nothing special, you can choose between black, metallic blue, and metallic red if you take it with the starter pack ($250, which includes a Fender Frontman 15G amp, a cable, a bunch of picks, and some other stuff). I picked red; ). If you buy the guitar separately, it's only $150, and more choices too: Same colors, but you get to decide whether you want a rosewood fretboard (starter pack) or maple (true Vintage look! ). According to Musiciansfriend.com, you can also get British racing green with rosewood fretboard, baltic blue with a rosewood fretboard, and arctic white as colors. Alder body like most Strats, and a maple neck. The neck inlays are simply dots, with a double Dot at the twelfth fret. They're most likely plastic, can't really tell, but in a rosewood fretboard they're plain white, in maple they're black. And of course the fretboard has side inlays. The finish is a solid gloss on top of the body. The bridge is a good ol' Vintage trem with a screw-in tremolo bar with a white tip. Three springs were attached properly in the back when I got it. Plain old passive single-coils, three of them, and they're all right. They sound fine, but expect nothing special. A single master volume and two tone knobs (one for neck, one for middle pickup), and a 5-way Switch to Switch between pickups. Very classy, again, of course, and works fine. The pickups are no-namers, I believe, or maybe Squiers. Everything is mounted in a big one-ply white pickguard, of which the edges tend to become dirty quickly. Non-locking tuners complete the guitar, again just "mystery" no-name tuners, but they do tend to keep the guitar in tune pretty well. I haven't even lubed the nut or the string ferrules or anything, and I can do huge bends and it stays in tune fine. Sometimes I play something and find a string went a little flat, but I retune it within two seconds, literally. The nut is a cheap plastic thing, not exactly good, but not too bad for the price. The strap locks are pretty reliable, I have never had it fall of the strap. When I bought it with the starter pack, it came with a "Fender" gig bag, a Fender Frontman 15G practice amp, a Fender Professional Noiseless cord, a "Fender" strap, two hex wrenches (for saddle adjusting, I guess), an extra tremolo spring, about 5 Fender medium picks, the tortoiseshell ones, that's about it, I think. // 8

Sound: I play lots of genres, classical stuff, rock, metal (think Metallica, not death metal or anything), alternative stuff, blues, random riffs and licks like EVH or solos. It can sound good for each of it, actually. It's a little thin in the midrange for metal, but still sounds decent, especially considering the price. I usually play it through a Crate GTD65 (solid-state combo amp), usually clean, sometimes through the built-in overdrive channels or through a Boss DS-1. It is actually not that noisy for a non-shielded guitar, and when put on position 2 or 4, almost all of the hum is gone. With high gain it does tend to hum more. I can sometimes get some good squeals off this guitar. Also it sounds great clean, think Metallica's One intro, sounds really good for the price. Note I keep stressing the price, because obviously you can't compare this to a Fender. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was almost in tune and the action was fine for me when I bought it. The pickups were at a good height, and all the routing was fine. The only thing wrong with it was that the fretboard had a wood discoloring in the corner, but I actually think it looks cool, since I've never seen it before. The finish was good, and the strings on it were good stock. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would trust this guitar at a gig without a backup. Of course, never gig without a backup, but still. The hardware seems very solid, strap buttons are rigid, and it would definitely withstand Live playing. The finish is pretty long-lasting, though I've hit it against a wall on accident once and a scratch came up showing the greyish primer. // 9

Overall Impression: For my music, this is a good guitar. It sounds decent both clean and distorted. I've been playing for around two and a half years, and it is a good starter guitar. If I'd lose it, I'd buy a new guitar, because this is a starter guitar, but I like it because it's decent quality for the price. It's a good guitar for the price. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: blobthedie, on august 28, 2008

Purchased from: Kempsters Music

Features: Made in 2007 somewhere in China (if you really care:CY07055073) 21 frets, and 3 pickups, as you'd expect form a Strat. Rosewood fingerboard on a maple neck, maple body and 5 way selector switch. Comes in metalic blue, metalic red or black. 2 tone controls (for neck and middle pickups) and one volume. // 8

Sound: It suits my guitar style quite well, I go from classic rock, to bluesy improv so it sounds quite nice with a small amount of distortion. As you might expect from a squire affinity, the pickups are cheap, it dosn't sound particularly amazing, but they're alright for light distortion, as they get dirty quickly. Played through a Laney LX12 it sounds amazing for the price. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was just right (although I suspect the shop set it up ready, as it was a display model), but the strings feel cheap, so I've ordered some Ernie Ball regular slinky's. For the first week there was some fret buzz on the 10th fret of the 6th string, but that's gone now, and it's playing really nicely. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Te strap buttons are huge, but I'm still ordering strap locks for piece of mind, and I've bashed it about plenty without it going out of tune. The finish looks nice, but chips easily the way I treat my guitars. If you like reiced guitars buy one of these, and don't pay attention to where you're putting it down. // 6

Overall Impression: Suits anything from blues to classic rock, if it were stolen I'd go and get a tele affinity, cos that's what I wanted in the first place, but as a starter or spare guitar, it's well worth the money. I compared it with a Yamaha Pacifica, but this was much better and 5 cheaper. // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2008

Purchased from: SoundSource Music

Features: Mine is a metallic red coleor with a maple neck and rosewood frets, it has 21 pickups and has the rounded end at the fretboard, there is a whammy bar, it's a bolt-on neck, two single coil pickups and a humbucker. with a white pickguard and chrome hardware. It was made in Indonesia. it has to tone nobs and a volume nob with a standard pickup switch. The guitar cost 199 dollars and I got it for 400 with a g-dec Jr. amp, a bag, some picks, and a strap, which was a good buy cause the amp wuz like 175 and the bag was 40 by itself (this was all in a pack). It's perfect for a beginner(this was my first electric guitar). // 9

Sound: I play rock, metal, grunge, and some alternative, it works for all of them easy. I just use the amp I got it with (I'm ready for a new one though) and it has lots of effects on it. I think it sounds really good, because I have used an actual Fender-brand 1 1/2 stack amp and it sounded great. No eccess noise. It'll do whatever you want it to do, but too much whammying and it will need tuned. I whammy a lot so I tune after every song with a lot o whammying)but you wouldn't have to after every song cause it goes like 1/6 step out of tune after lots of whammying (I'm just a tuneing perfectionist). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it everything was set up great-7 months later it still kicks ass. Verything in good condition. I was pissed off though cause I couldn't get all plastic off (some is still where the pickguard is(oh well if I wanted I could unscrew the screws the plastic sundder take the plastic out and screw it back in, but I'm to lazy). // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will easily play live, all the hardware seems as if it'll last a long while and the strap buttons(as long as your not using the shitty strap that the guitar comes with, are fine. and I would gig without a back up but I'd have to take a set of strings cause they break on me at the unluckiest times. the finish will scratch if you pick hard like I do, but that's what the pickquards for but I pick chords really hard and I kinda need a new pickguard already (dunno if that's normal or not). // 8

Overall Impression: for what I play-it's great, nothing wrong at all with it. I own this and a Rogue acoustic guitar and this guitar I've had for 7 months. If it were stolen I'd buy something else, but that's cause I like variety (eventually I would get another one like this cause I'm in love with it). I love that it's not hard to play and the whammy bar rocks. The only addition I would love would be locking tuners cause tuning is were I break a third of my strings. // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: spikie101, on october 06, 2008

Purchased from: pro music

Features: Contoured alder body, bolt-on maple neck with rosewood fingerboard and late '60s headstock, three single coil pickups and Standard tremolo system, the Affinity Series Strat guitar. 5 way selector 1 volume, 2 tone knobs. Came with Stagg cable and some Fender picks. // 7

Sound: I play a lot of classic rock; Led zepp, GnR, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Kiss, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden etc. For 100 pounds it fits most of my categories I can't always get the blues tone from my watson XL10P 10 watt. I also use a Behringer Ultra wah which works really well with this. It does have a lot of hum and with a lot of gain it really goes metal style but not that good. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got it I took it in for a check up, the action was lowered. I hated this I couldn't string bend and had a hell a lot of fret buzz this was changed in a day or two though. pickups were fine frets are a concern you must be ever so gentle with this as one of my frets are warped/damaged. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The hardware looks like it will last me a while however I plan to change to Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 because of it's humbuckers and lp tone. I have yet to gig with this and the overall quality of it is ok. the strap buttons were a little loose but seem to be fine now after I have screwed it in more. // 9

Overall Impression: This sort of matches my style of playing but it never gets it on full tone or exactly the same sound. I've been playing for nearly a year now and this was an excellent buy for me. If it was lost I wouldn't re-purchase it I would get a Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 simply because of it's humbuckers. I wish however this had the humbucker seen in other Squier strats for a louder tone. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: matti_g_69, on october 06, 2008

Features: 21 Frets, Rosewood, three single coil pickups and Standard tremolo, 5 way pick up selector, came with Fender gig bag, Strat, Fender Frontman 15G(which I blew up), Fender strings, lead, some crap songbook, the guitar aint stay in tune for to long but I think it aint bad for a cheap guitar. // 6

Sound: I play lots of metal(Metallica, BFMV, Megadeth, Children Of Bodom, Trivium) and some rock and punk(Sum 41, Nickelback, Foo Fighters, Green Day), the Strat is pretty good for punk and rock but not so great for metal, I have two pedals a DD-7 and a CE-2 I don't use them much in my music I only use them when I'm mucking around so I don't take much notice of the sounds of them. I play through a Roland Cube 15X. I think the guitar would be pretty good for jazz and blues, not that I've tried it though. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: For the price, the finish is pretty good, I think the necks to fat to play really fast which is one big problem I'm have with it, it comes in a brown sunburst sort of colour(I don't really no what's it's called). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm not up to playing Live yet, but I think when I am up to that I will buy another guitar because I don't like the thickness of the neck to play the things I like. the strap buttons aren't to slid as they can somethimes wriggle about. I think this guitar could snap reaqlly easily because I've dropped it a few times and it's been close to braking. I still think it's good for the price I paid. // 6

Overall Impression: if this guitar were stolen I wouldn't buy one of the same, I'd want it back because it's my first guitar, but if I couldnt get it back I would certainly buy a more expensive and better quiality guitar, one with a thinner neck and 24 frets. this isnt a good match for metal but fine for punk and rock. // 6

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: hernythecow, on october 29, 2008

Features: I think mines a 2004 model "crafted" in China. 21 frets, and a maple fingerboard. Alder body with a Standard blue Strat finish. *yawn*. Normal Strat style body with a white pickguard, and 60s style headstock. One of those crappy tremelo bridges, crappy noname die cast tuners. One volume which kinda works, and two tone controls that do absolutely nothing. Three single coils. Really horrible pickups. I've spent 60 replacing my neck one with a Seymour Duncan cool rails. They sound so tinny, not single coil punchy, but just weak. Nothing special really. // 5

Sound: I've been playing for just over a year, and I play a lot of classic rock. I've replaced my neck pickup as I've already said, and I play through a Zoom G2.1u multifx pedal, and either a Peavey Backstage 10w, or a Laney transvalve 100w. If I crank up the gain on either the amp, or my pedal the guitar buzzes like anything, so I play with a noise gate. The sound is tinny, and very thin. There isn't a lot of the brightness you'd expect from a Strat. The guitar is best suited to playing punchy stuff, that stays quite clean. The guitar sounds really muddy once the Drive kicks in. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar doesn't have a great set up, but I adjusted the pickups and it seems a bit better. The action is pretty poor, and there's fret buzz on the E and A strings for the first few frets, and the fretwork seems pretty poor. Actually the whole neck is poor as it bends alarmingly. The tuners were okay to begin with but now come loose very easily. My pickguard has developed a warp in it, and tends to devour picks which is mildly annoying. A touch on the tremelo will send the guitar straight out of tune so there's not a lot of point having it. The pickup selector is quiet, and works pretty well. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built to last and has withstood numerous falls, including dropping it on the road. Don't ask. There are so many dents and chips in the finish now, but it's built like a brick so I guess it will hold together. The strap buttons aren't bad actually, so I didn't bother investing in strap locks. At the moment if I were to gig with it, I wouldn't have the luxury of a backup. But I guess it seems fairly reliable so I wouldn't be too worried. // 7

Overall Impression: I suppose it suits my style of playing reasonably well. I will soon become the proud owner of an Epihone LP custom, which completely outclasses this Strat. If it was stolen or lost, I'd laugh at the idiot Who stole a Squier rather than anything of value. I'd then go and buy an Epiphone. I don't really like anything about it, other than the fact that I can abuse it without feeling bad. Oh yeah, I love the way it bounces when I throw it at the floor. I hate everthing else about it. If I had to go for a first guitar again, I would definately consider splashing out a bit more cash for a better guitar. It's a decent backup guitar, but it leaves me wanting so much more from it. It's a good price and it's playable if you're not fussy. So if that's what you want, this is the perfect guitar. In the incredibly likely event that you have an ounce of taste don't buy it! // 4

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: RapterX, on november 05, 2008

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Features: Korean Made - 2007. 21 Thin Frets - Rosewood Fretboard. Maple Neck, Alder body. Black Finish. Strat Body. Classic Strat Bridge with Whammy. Active Electronics. 1 Volume and 2 tone knobs, 5 way selector. 2 Strat pickups 1 bridge humbucker. Standard Silver tuners. // 7

Sound: THis guitar is really really good for sound. It has few flaws if your a beginner, but for the more experienced guitar player, it's a bit difficult to work with. the constant buzzing of the humbucker makes it difficult for tone-chasers. I play mostly metal and hard rock, and it sounds really good with a lot of distortion, and I can get a really rich, creamy sound out of the Neck pickup with the tone turned down to about 5. If I were playing Classic Rock like Cream or Jimi Hendrix, this is a really good guitar. it's definitely got a bright tone to it, but it's got a warmth to it at the same time // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The Action on this guitar is relatively low, I suggest adjusting the bridge a bit to heighten the action. also, you can take a truss rod to the neck and adjust the action that way, but doing so, you run the risk of your neck snapping. Everything on this guitar can be adjusted and fine-tuned to your needs. I like my pickups and bucker to be close to the strings, to give me a brighter tone. Thisguitar is and was perfect when i bought it with little to no flaws. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is really durable. The strap buttons are crap, so the strap comes off easily, and the guitar could drop out of your hands, but the guitar will be perfectly fine with a short drop. it's really good. Buy new strap buttons, it's really quite reliable. I'd definitely gig with it // 9

Overall Impression: This guitari s perfect for any kind of music you like to play. I play preferablly metal, and it works out perfectly. You could play coutry, soft rock, latin, and jazz and it would still sound great. I have been playing for about a year. I own a Fender G-DEC Junior Amp and it seems to be really working out. If it were stolen or lost... I'd die. I love the feel of the unfinished neck, it makes playing much easier. I hate the trem system. if it were a Floyd Rose I'd be much happier. I wish it had dual humbuckers instead of 2 singlecoils and a humbucker // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: eteam_sammy4him, on november 06, 2008

Purchased from: Morrell Music

Features: As a sixteenth birthday gift, me and my parents went out and picked up the Squier Affinity Strat Starter Rig with the Fender 15G Frontman Amp. The Amp is another story. I own and play a ruby red 2007 Squier Strat, 21 frets, 5-way pickup selector, 3 single-coil pickups, solid body, rosewood fingerboard, and Squier tuners. Fender Frontman 15G amp, soft gig-bag, Fender tuner, Fender cable. Good purchase and the guitar has yet to fail me. // 8

Sound: On a mainstream note, I play a variety of Alternative Rock to Death Metal and have not found any massive fault in the sound of my guitar. Of course, the single coil pickups create the usual buzzing when the gain is turned up over 7 so there is alwasy a slight buzzing when not being played, but during action they hold up to a medium Standard. Easily fixable by replacing the pickups. I use my guitar with a DigiTech RP70 and aside from the previously stated buzzing according to how the gain is set, it still holds up fairly well. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I must have gotten lucky when I purchased this guitar. The pickups were adjusted at even intervals and no problem was detected. The only fault I can note is my volume knob is mildly crooked. The neck has stayed straight through various beatings and the action is set at a comfortable medium. No too light, not too high. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've dropped this guiar multiple times, hit the headstock on furniture, and dropped it when the strap fell off. Each time I expected something bad to happen. Nothing. The worst that has ever happened is being knocked out of tune. Easily fixable. The finish was even all around and no scuffs have occurred throughout being dropped. // 9

Overall Impression: I would have to say that the neck on this (rosewood) is the most comfortable neck I've been blessed to play. The transitions up the neck are extremely smooth. The biggest problem is that the single coil pickups buzz at high gain. I'm replacing the bridge single-coil with a humbucker, so that won't be a problem anymore. Great guitar for beginners and extremely customizable for experienced veterans. // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: brownsfan456, on november 18, 2008

Purchased from: GC

Features: I really don't like the fact that it was made in Indonesia and honestly it's a very average Strat. With the right amp it might sound better. The wood is probably very cheap and very close to a baseball bat neck. Still better than the LP 100 but I wouldn't buy this for the neck. // 4

Sound: This guitar is a pretty good combination of affordability and playabilty. Thus saying, it doesn't sound that great. I mainly play classic Rock or british invasion sort of stuff which makes the single coils kinda pointless. On most amps, it will give you this buzz on certain channels but on a clean channel it sounds pretty good. Don't buy this if your a speed metal freak. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The inital setup was okay and the action was kinda low. The pickups did need some adjustment. If you wanted to mod a guitar, I wouldn't actually suggest this. The wood is really cheap and you'd have to buy a new neck. still take it as it is and save an extra 50 or 100 dollars and step up if your buying a modding guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I like this guitar as a first guitar but don't plan on gigging with it. The neck is starting to show signs of wear and tear after only 3 months. I think if I dropped mine, it would break. The wiring was horrible. I think with Squier we assume a sort of better quality for lasting ability but I doubt we should. // 6

Overall Impression: I personally think that it is a great guitar for your first six months of playing but doubt it'll take you much further than that. If it were stolen I would not think twice in taking the money and running to an Agile LP or Epiphone. The great thing is though, it's pretty easy to figure out. // 6

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: tbfender93, on november 16, 2009

Features: -2007 in the USA -21 medium frets -Solid body (Alder) w/ maple fretboard -Strat body style -Strat-style bridge -Came w/ passive electronics but upgraded to Active EMGs -Came w/ 2-tone 1-vol and a 5-way selector, but upgraded to 1-tone + vol and a 5-way selector -Came w/ S/S/S Fender factory pickups, but upgraded to S/S/H EMG pickups (KH-20 model) -Came w/ stock Fender factory tuners, but upgraded to Sperzel locking tuners. -No included accessories Other upgrades include: -Schaller strap-locks -Fender Strat cavity cover // 8

Sound: It suits my style of music because it gives me a bright-brilliant sound when it's on a clean effect, and when it's on a distortion effect it gives me a rich/full sound. So basically you get the best of both worlds. I use a Fender Frontman 25R amp w/ a Zoom G1X Multi-effects pedal. My guitar makes a "some-what" variety of sounds. Can't make sounds that sound awesome (like with a Floyd Rose tremolo or any other kind of tremolo) but it gives me a sound that I love. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action or setup of the guitar was perfect. I was able to play right away instead of having to take it to the shop to get adjusted the right way. The pickups are adjusted right. The only flaws I have with this guitar (before it was upgraded) is that overtime the bridge-pickup will blowout (doesn't work anymore). Since I had to replace the guitar with a new one twice, I decided to upgrade the guitar with EMGs to stop the problem from happening. Other than that, the guitar it's self is crafted to perfection. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think it will withstand live playing. The bridge pickup won't last. But the rest of the hardware seem like it'll last a while. I would defiantly use it on a gig without a backup; therefore I would really depend on it. The finish is good enough to last you a couple years. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and metal stuff, so this guitar is perfect (once it's upgraded) for my style of music. I going on my 7th year of playing guitar. I own a Alvarez RD-8 Acoustic guitar. The only thing I would ask is how the setup should normally be on everything. If it were stolen/lost, if I had the money I would buy something that is just like it or something that is a lot better (like a Schecter C1-FR or a Ibanez RG model or something). I love the sound and quality I get for the fraction of the price. My favorite feature would be the feel and how thin the neck is compared to a Fender STD Strat. I compared this guitar with a Bullet Strat and I chose the Affinity Strat because it has better quality than the Bullet and it's reliability. The only thing I wish it had was a stock FR tremolo system (Floyd Rose) or a Ibanez RZ tremolo already on it. // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 05, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Let me start off by saying that I bought this guitar as a guitar to try some relic finishes and tricks with, so I didn't have high expectiations on quality. No idea what year it is, was made in china. Its as basic as it comes, two really good things about this guitar is the neck and the body, everything else is as cheap as they come, but that's what I expected. I have a few Vintage Fender Mustangs and I would say this guitar reminds me of them. The tuners are horrible, most of the hardware is pretty cheap. Like I said this is a relic job for me and the body is turning out great, its a odd mix of layers and for the life of me can't figure how they built the body, but its looking good as I age it. I have removed the labels, aged the neck and putting a Fender label on it. Adding grover tuners. I may swap out the pick ups cause I just can't get them to growl. But I do love the neck on mine. The bridge is pretty horrible too, intonating it is next to impossible, and I'm a pro at it. The pick ups do sound clean, but a bit too clean for me, good enough for a beginner but if you wanna it to cry you will need to upgrade. // 5

Sound: The pick ups just don't growl, very cheap, but they are clear and solid. The pick up selector is very cheap too, noisey and stiff. If you put this through some pedels it sounds better but it does not have much of a range in sounds even going from pick up to pick up. I may just Switch out the pick guard and all the works for a better set. But what it comes with is really really low budget. I play through a Vintage 70's Kustom III Lead SC as my main amp, its kick ass. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: For all the cheap features on here I have to say the neck on this guitar is really sweet, mine has a rosewood finger board on a maple neck, its thin and action is low and is easy to play. The frets are a bit high and could use a good crowning but they are passable as is, better than I expected really. Mine has a red finish that I am doing relic work on. The layers of paint on this are really really odd, no idea what is going on between the final coat and the actual wood, but they look great chiped and scratched, but its a very thick paint job, nothing like old or new fenders. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Nah, doubt I will play this live unless I end up changing out all the electronics, but I still may do that. It plays great so on playablity I would want to use it live or in the studio. No way the hardware that came with it will last, the tuners are really crap, they are the big offender on this guitar, and they were the first things I changed. Strap buttons seem fine. Def would not gig with out a back up, but I usually use a Vintage les paul and Strat live, a few other Vintage guitars too, but when I'm done working on this it may be a live ax. The finish could last for ever, but god only knows what all that finish is... Toxic waste? There is a hell of alot of it, chips off well. // 6

Overall Impression: I play lound and fast garage/punk/blues/rock/jazz noise. This guitar works well all jazzed up with my mods, but new it with stock stuff it just coldn't hold up. Been playing for over 30 years. I also have a bunch of Vintage guitars including a 78 Les Paul Custom, 68 Fender Mustang, 58 Gretsch Anny and a bunch more. Picked up a 04 Fender fat Strat that I really love and have been playing alot for the past year. I play through a Vintage 70's Kustom III Lead SC, Killer sound. I knew what I was getting when I got this, its a toy for me, but its evolving into a fun guitar, if you want a good project guitar that you don't need to sink too much money into then pick one of these up cause they are dirt cheap on ebay and pawn shops. Other wise save up your pennies and buy a Mexican made Fender, they are so good and so underated. Like I said above I love the neck and body on this, but every thing else is pretty much just junk, but once you change out all the hardware you can build yourself a fun guitar. // 6

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2010

Price paid: A$ 269

Purchased from: Turramurra Music

Features: My guitar is a 2007 model made in Indonesia. It has 21 jumbo sized frets and set on a rosewood neck. The body is a beautiful Agathis, but covered with a black satin finish. The bridge is a Fender Vintage Tremolo bridge, with a whammy bar supplied. It has a 5 way selector switch, 1 volume knob, 2 tone knobs. Most features are like any other more expensive Strat model. Sadly, Squier didn't supply any freebies like a gig bag, pick or guitar cloth. I had to pay extra at the music store for these things. // 9

Sound: My style is mainly heavy and aggressive ranging from punk like Blink 182 to Extreme Metal. However, I try a bit of blues, soft rock and Acoustic style chord strumming on clean and basic overdrive, every now and then. Although the Strat has three single coil pickups, the bridge pickup holds up quite well for Black Metal (Unblack Metal for me cos I'm Christian). It's got this mean twang and that's probably because it's an angled pickup. I play the Strat through a Roland Cube 15 watt, which has inbuilt Boss effects. I usually put the amp on Metal Distortion and the Strat sounds AMAZING. There is some ridiculously loud feedback when I put the gain really high but I actually like that. On drop tuning, the Strat is suited for Death Metal and even Doom Metal if the neck pickup is active with the middle pickup. It is probably the most powerful single-coil pickup (the neck pu). On the clean channel, the Strat is beautiful, with a very bright sound. It's definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing and you can pull off any genre on this guitar, as long as you have a good amp and some effects. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is beautiful and the pickups have not given any trouble. The jack for the amp wire came a little loose, but I tightened it a bit. Probably the only fault, but it hasn't affected my playing. The neck is fast and suitable for metal. The finish is pretty good, almost like a mexican Standard strat. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will be fine with live playing. My guitar teacher and family friend is a master jazz guitarist and he played my strat. It sounded almost as good as an American Standard Strat! The hardware is fine and I think the guitar will last at least 5 years more without any problems. The strap buttons are definitely solid, but if I were to perform in a live hardcore gig I would secure the strap firmly with duct tape, cos I like to jump around heaps :). I can depend on this guitar and would not use a backup. I would just carry strings around in case there was a breakage. The finish is excellent, and probably was applied subject to strict Fender guidelines! // 10

Overall Impression: Funny thing is, even though the classic Strat is not a metal guitar, it does wonders when played through the Roland Cube. It growls when put through high gain and metal distortion and chirps like a little canary on the clean channel. Does almost everything in between, mind you. I have been playing a little over two years and only have one other guitar, an Ashton classical acoustic. If it got stolen or lost, I would definitely buy a new one, as the strat- with five way pickup Switch gives you so many sound possibilities. And add to that the settings on the Roland Cube amp! (I strongly recommend the Roland Cube 15 watt if you want a compact amp ideal for metal and hardcore etc). I compared this guitar to the Epiphone SG, Yamaha Pacifica and Les Paul Special 2 and chose the Strat over the others cos the entry-level humbuckers are so muddy when you distort the sound a lot. True, the others have more conventional grunt, but their tone is inferior in my opinion. I also like the whammy bar, which gives you even more sound possibilities. Maybe one thing I wish it had was 24 frets! Most metal-heads would like at least one humbucker in a guitar and would think that I'm insane using a Strat for metal. But, mind you Yngwie Malmsteen, arguably the best metal guitarist uses a Strat. // 10

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2010

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: Local Shop,Bulgaria

Features: The Strat I bought was manufactured in Indonesia, like all others I supose, 21 Jumbo Frets, 5-way selector, 2 useless Tone controlls and a Volume Control. It came with a G-DEC Junior, a gig bag, some picks a very sturdy strap and a cable naturally. But, It also came with an unusable Tremolo so just for that I have to rate it 2 stars less. // 8

Sound: I mostly play Classic Rock(Zeppelin, ACDC, Kansas) some blues and just a little bit of metal(Metallica and Sabbath). It's perfect for for classic rock, it's good for blues, though not perfect, sucks at metal but has a nice clean sound if wanted and can create a very smooth jazz feeling. The way I hear it, it's perfect for anything british. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I guess they kinda cheaped out on the wood, but otherwise it was perfectly made. Action was perfect, no visual flaws, and I've been playing on it non-stop for the last few months and it still stays in perfect tuning. My advice is to play a bit with the pickups. You'll be amazed how much that affects the sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I guess you could play live with this thing, even though you should have some better choises. The strap buttons are perfect, still you should bring some backup just in case. The way it seems, it will last a hell of a long time. Not so sure about the finish though. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, it's perfect for anything british, which is mostly what I play. I've been playing classical and Acoustic for 6 years, and I played electric for 2. I had a very old Gibson SG and a Blues Junior, but my brother took them, so I had to buy something new. If it were stolen, I'd either buy another one or an Epiphone Les Paul. I hate the two useless tone controlls and the tremolo it came with, but for that, it's amazingly sturdy. I thought of buying an Epiphone, but locally there's nothing else but an Online shop, and I like to see what I buy first. I tried on some Yamahas, but I guess I chose this one for the looks. I wish they made it with a not-so-dull type of wood, but I can't complain, after all it costs just 150$ // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: wazupwiop, on march 17, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: I bought a 2001 Fiesta Red Squier Affinity Strat with a cheap Kustom amp off of craigslist for $65. It has the basic Strat specs, nothing more, nothing less. Overall, it is a decent guitar, and I will go into specifics later in the review. If you have a chance to inspect the guitar before buying it, do so. Take it to a tech for setup, you will have a much better guitar. Those that bash Squier guitars don't set them up properly or take care of them. // 8

Sound: I play all sorts of music, but mostly blues, rock, and worship music. It handles those fairly decently. Here is my home effects rig: Korg Pitchblack Tuner-Crybaby Original-Digitech Bad Monkey-Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde-Boss DD-10-Visual Sound Liquid Chorus-Line 6 Spider 3 15 watt amp. The guitar does have a little noise, but it isn't intolerable. It has a brighter sound, but I set my amp settings to use REALLY high bass. Right now it is set to Bass-10 Mid-4 Treble 5-6. I use that EQ on all my guitars, not just this one. It sounds decent. The guitar handles funk pretty well. It does a decent job of handling OD and distortion, but the sound could be better. It has a decent sound, but for $65, I cannot complain. The pickups are cheap ceramics. I am planning on modding all the electronics anyway. It sounds like a basic, generic strat. It you are looking for that sound, this guitar is for you. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar used, so I cannot comment on the factory setup. When I bought the guitar, whoever had it before the guy I bought it from didn't take care of it very well. The neck was dry and crusty. The trem and saddles were way outta whack. I could go on, but you get the point. After two hours of fixing what the other guy messed up, it plays pretty well. I set it up, and I was impressed with the playability. It has slightly higher action then what I am used to, but it is still playable. It mostly plays in tune except for one or two frets. After inspecting the guitar, the only flaws that I knew for sure were from the factory were that the tremolo claw screws were screwed in crooked, causing the claw to sit slightly crooked inside the guitar. I haven't noticed any tuning issues, but it just kinda messes with me now that I know that it is crooked in there. The rest of the flaws I was able to fix. I set it up, polished it, and lemon-oiled the rosewood fretboard. The guitar actually looks like a respectable instrument now. After I set it up, I would give it an eight. Before I set it up, it would give it a two. The finish is your average poly finish, durable as ever. I give it an eight because of the crooked trem claw and there are a few high frets. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems pretty reliable for a ten year old guitar. I don't use the whammy alot, so I cannot comment on the tuning stability with the whammy, but the tuners seem to hold tuning decently (I'd much rather have Grover tuners like on the rest of my guitars though). I took a graphite pencil and drew in the nut slots and string trees. I also tightened the tuner screws and nuts. I am a bluesy player, so I bend a lot. If the guitar is setup and everything is tightened properly, you will reduce your chance of having issues with tuning stability. The hardware seems to be doing fine. The pickguard screws seem a little rusty, but it is ten years old and the guitar was probably mistreated (I can tell by the way I received it). The tremolo seems fine. The tuners are working well. It seems to be very durable at the time of this review. I would say that this guitar could withstand live playing. The intonation is slightly off on the upper frets, but it is barely noticeable. I have been playing guitar for 7 years now, and I know that this isn't the best live guitar, but it seems decent. I would use my Epiphone G400 for playing live, but this guitar would probably hold up. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar will handle just about any music. I play everything, and it seems to handle it all, it just needs to be set up properly and used with good, quality effects and amps. I have been playing for 7 years at the time of this review. I own an Epiphone G400, a really nice Washburn Acoustic, boatloads of effects, and etc. I bought the guitar to take to Camp Electric so I could bang it around a college campus for a week in a gig bag and not have to worry about it being stolen or broken. I expected it to be terrible, but it is actually decent, and it will be much better after I mod it and take it to a luthier for a setup. I like the overall guitar, but it isn't perfect. The body and neck are okay. Everything else could be improved for the price of $100 in parts and a few hours of your time. My only regret about this guitar is the crooked trem claw. If you are a beginner or you need a beater guitar, buy either this or a Squier Bullet Strat. Get it set up (either by yourself or a professional), and mod it if you want to. It will be a better guitar after that. I am rating this guitar as an 8. It is a decent guitar, period. It is cheap and affordable. I have played Gibsons and Fenders, and while this guitar doesn't compete with them, it is definitely playable and you can make some okay music with it. I am not giving this a 10 because it didn't surprise me or give me a WOW!!! It is better than a 7 because it has decent construction compared to other guitars I have seen. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: JJV{METAL FREAK, on april 04, 2011

Purchased from: Oostenhavens Music

Features: OK, this guitar was made Indonesia, I'm not sure which year. It has 21 jumbo frets, a solid mahogany string through body, 5 way selection switch, 1 volume knob and 2 crappy tone knobs which can only be used to hold a pick between them. Its red with a white pickguard (WOW, that's exciting). // 7

Sound: It's my friends guitar and I've played on it quite a bit. I play Rock & Roll, heavy rock and metal and it suits rock 'n roll, like ACDC, Deep Purple and Led Zeplin very well. It sound alright for heavier music but I prefer a 2 single 1 humbucker setup for metal. It came with a Fender Frontman 15G amp, which according to me and my friend SUCKS. It makes a constant buzzing noise which irritates the hell out of me. I played it through my Line6 Spider IV 15 and it didn't make that noise, so its definately not the guitar. The overall sound is good, but the amp spoils it. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Compared to my Ibanez SA260, which is set up perfectly(not over exagurated), this guitar is set up pretty good. I prefer a very thin neck and body and the Squier's neck and body is thicker than my SA260's, but the finish on it is excellant. I don't think the pickups are adjustable, but they seem to be set up well. The Bridge is fixed, but it seems to be the right height. No flaws in the body so far. Very good overall // 8

Reliability & Durability: No, I wouldn't use this guitar to play live. It doesn't stay in tune long enough. You don't have to tune it every hour but it goes out quite fast. The strap buttons arn't very good and the the strap has come loose. Luckily the guitar didn't fall, the head just got bumped. Have to wait and see if the hardware holds, but it looks like it will last long enough. The finifn is still flawless after 4 months, but if it scratches you can just sand it through to the wood and sell it as a Squier Road Worn. I wouldn't ase it live because 've got an SA260, but if I had to I would make sure to have a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: As I said, it's my friends guitar. He's been playing for about a year and he plays mostly ACDC stuff. I think this guitar suits rock & roll, no somuch metal. I told him to buy a Ibanez GAX30 and a Line6 Spider IV 15 amp. He told me afterwards that he should have, but he says it a nice guitar. I agree, it's good for beginners( I've been playing for about 4 years) but it feel a bit hard. // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: theflyingbarney, on june 01, 2011

Features: No idea what year but it's made in Indonesia. 22 frets, solid, etc etc. Using the stock pickups as I'm too much of a noob to know how to change them. This is my first electric guitar; I've been learning since I was 8 (now 16) on a pair of ancient acoustics up until I got this about 9 months ago. For a beginner you don't really need much more in the way of features than it gives you - it's got enough things to fiddle with to cover most stuff but not enough to confuse you. For a more seasoned player though it's probably a bit limited and dull. // 8

Sound: I play all sorts of stuff, from pop-punk all the way through to metal and just about everything inbetween, especially a lot of Muse. On the whole this guitar is reasonable for most of it, although there is some horrible feedback at times. I think that's mainly to do with the amp though (Fender Frontman 15G), which is the one from the starter pack and is pretty god-darn awful. The tone knobs do make a difference but only if you turn them straight from 1 to 10 or vice versa. Pickup switcher is also useful if you want to bring in more distortion. Not a fantastic tone overall but it suits what I want for the time being, and as I've said having learnt on 2 decrepit acoustics it naturally sounded awesome for the first 4 months or so, although that's wearing off now. The overdrive setting sounds pretty good as long as you keep the gain down, otherwise you can't play any chords without it going all awry. Clean setting can sometimes be a bit distorted or muddy but this can often be solved by twiddling the knob/pickup settings. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It was all set up pretty well, it was even delivered pretty much in tune with only a few tweaks required. The one gripe I do have as some other people have said is that the plastic covering gets stuck under the knobs, and that's really annoying to get off. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a pretty solid guitar, you could probably whack it against a brick wall and the wall would come off worse. The strap buttons seem solid enough, but the finish isn't fantastic and the pick guard has gotten a bit scratched. Can't comment on the live performance as I haven't played live, but I'd probably trust it for very small scale gigs at least. // 7

Overall Impression: Not the best guitar around by a long way but if you're a beginner it's worth a punt as it provides the ideal starting place to begin to understand what you want from a guitar. Don't go for the beginner's amp though, it's pathetic and spoils the overall sound of the guitar. As I've said I've been playing electric guitar for roughly 9 months and it's been useful during that time; if it were stolen I'd probably go and replace it simply because I don't have another guitar and it's cheap. Can cope reasonably well with most muscial styles as long as you don't listen too carefully. Overall a god guitar for beginners but I wouldn't reccomend it for the more seasoned musician - having used it as a stepping stone I'm going to upgrade to an Ibanez at the next opportunity. // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: kutless999, on june 13, 2011

Features: The Squier Afinnity Strat is made in Indonesia and I'm not sure when it was made, but I purchased it four years ago. It has 21 jumbo frets on top of a rosewood fret board. The Affinnitty Strat has an alder body and a maple neck. It has a polyurethane finish and the body style is based on the Fender Stratocaster. It has a synchronous tremolo bridge. This guitar has two tone selectors, one for the neck pickup and one for the Bridge pickup. It also has a volume knob and a five way pickup selector. It comes with three single coil pickups. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds really good for a $180 guitar. This guitar suits my style of playing very well. I play all kinds of different styles of music from contemporary to metal. This guitar is pluggd into a Roland Cube 15X. The Squier Afinnity Strat is not very noisy at all. This guitar can produce a wide variety of sounds ranging from jazz to metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: At first, I thought the guitar was set up very well but as I got more experienced with the guitar, I realized it needed quite a bit of adjusting. The pickups were adjusted very well, but I had to make some adjustments to the Bridge and the input cable jack. The guitar contained no flaws what'soever. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar should withstand live playing, and the hardware will probably last quite a while. The strap buttons are very solid. I defenatly depend on it and would probably not need a backup guitar. The finish on the guitar is very good. It's smooth, solid, and durable. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I play all kinds of different styles of music from contemporary to metal, and this guitar is a great match for all of those styles. I have been playing for 4 years and the only other piece of gear that I have is my amp. If I somehow lost it, I would defenatly buy it again without a doubt. I like the way it sounds and looks, but I don't like the fret buzzing on it. My favorite feature is the old fashioned Strat bridge. I don't wish it had anything else but better pickups. If you want a great first guitar, you should take a look at the Squier Affinity Strat. // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Guitar_Hero502, on july 11, 2011

Features: Mine is a 2003 I believe, made in Indonesia. Unfortunately it's only a 21 fret, but on the plus side it has a rosewood fret board and Jumbo frets I think. It's a solid top with a jet-black finish. Not sure what type the body is, but from Fenders page it should be maple. It's 2003 Affinity series Strat. Even though it's a Squier, it plays really good. It has a tremolo-arm on it (Or whatever it's called). Occasionally it comes a little out of tune, but that doesn't affect the playing too bad. It has 1 Volume and 1 Tone knob with the Standard Fender 5-way switch. It has 3 Fender Standard single coil pickups and upgraded tuners (Unsure of brand). // 8

Sound: I play A LOT of punk (Blink-182) and Heavy Metal (BFMV, All That Remains), mixed with the occasional Blues, and it suits all the styles almost perfectly. The only down side being that most distortion pedals have too much treble for Strats, and not enough Bass. I play through a Vox Pathfinder 15R and DigiTech RP90 Multi-effects. I normally use a Humbucker Simulator and some distortion on it varying by the style I'm playing. It's only really noisy when I play through my Danelectro Black Coffee Distorion, but that's mainly the pedal. It has a very wide variety of sounds, but it's true strength is definely clean chords and arpeggios. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar was set-up pretty good when I received it. I didn't get it new so I can't comment on the Factory set-up. A side from a few scratches, it looked new. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I play live with it weekly during the school year, and it holds up perfectly. The hardware will probably last awhile. The strap comes off occasionally with a leather strap. I play without a backup. The finish will chip if it's dinged on stuff though. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said I play Punk, Heavy Metal, and Blues and it suits them perfect. I've been playing for a year and a half and I only own this and a Fender knockoff. If stolen, I would buy a different guitar, only due to the fact that this is the only guitar I've ever owned lol. I love the clean tones, but hate that it needs a bass boost. I wish it had a humbucker in the Bridge spot. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: zackparr17, on july 19, 2011

Purchased from: Music Inn

Features: Squier Affinity Strat made in 2004 I believe, 3 tone sunburst, maple neck which I believe has medium jumbo frets, 3 Standard single coils, Standard Strat block tremolo string thru, 5 way selector, 1 volume and 2 tone knobs, what you'd expect from a strat. // 7

Sound: I use this guitar with a Fender Mustang I and I can get basically any sound from it except metal, which is just as much the amp's fault as the guitar. But with the right equipment, you could play metal, but you'd need a good noise gate because this thing hums very badly. The clean sounds are quite nice, but you still get some hum which is quite bad even for single coils. Therefore I think that a 5 is appropriate. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, the action was very low, which is good for some people, but for me, it was too low. It was so low, it was virtually impossible to get pinch harmonics out. The pickups were adusted well, and the only flaw was that the space in the pickguard for the Bridge Pickup was too big and there is a slight gap inbetween the pickup and pickguard. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is pretty sturdy and could probably withstand live playing, although you probably wouldn't use it because the sound quality isn't great. I don't gig but I would always take a backup guitar even if I was using a Gibson Les Paul, beause you never know when a string will break or something. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall its an ok guitar. I've had better, I've had worse. I also have a Squier Bullet Strat and in my opinion, you should get one of those instead. For me the pickups seem more clear, and the middle pickup is reverse wound to cut out the hum issue, and to be honest, it feels alot comfier. But that's my opinion, but I'd try them both out together and see which you'd prefer. // 5

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Skellyton465, on august 09, 2011

Features: Model Name: Strat Series; Affinity Series Body: Alder Neck: Maple, Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5 Radius (241 mm) No. of Frets: 21 Medium Jumbo Pickups: 3 Single-Coil Pickups All Squire Standard PU Controls: Master Volume 250k Two tone Pots (Both 250k) Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade Bridge: Tremolo Bridge Tuners: Standard Die-Cast Tuners Hardware: Chrome Pickguard: 1-Ply White Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm) Width at Nut: 1.61" (40.9 mm) Accessories: Fender Frontman 15G:(, Strap, Case, Cable, And some Alan keys Introduced: 2004 // 7

Sound: The guitar is perfect for my playing style (Rock/Metal). The guitar has some amazing sounds and with the Bridge PU selected you get some harsh lead guitar tones maybe too harsh as the PU doesn't have a tone control. but switching to the Middle pick up you get (with the tone Dialed down) some awesome metal tones crank up the tone and it becomes a lead guitar with some mid range punch. The neck PU gives some typically bluesy tones, and with no tone at all becomes an excellent Jazz Pick-Up. The Included amp is disappointing though as none of the tonal controls work and there is too much treble when in the Drive channel. There is very little noise unless you are near a computer (Earth loop issues). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The Factory set up is perfect the action id nice and low but high enough to play slide on and the tuners stay in tune nicely the Pick-Up selector is a little noisy if a note is being played and you change pick up but it is nothing un-manageable. there were no flaws at all I could see when i got this guitar. The top and Bridge were both all-right and there wasn't anything else. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played live with this guitar twice and don't think I would need a back up ever. The finish is good and will withstand a long long time of playing. The Strap Buttons are solid and haven't come off mid song yet! The Internal hardware seem good enough if a little noisy near a computer but that can be fixed with star earthing. // 7

Overall Impression: I normally play Rock/Metal and this guitar has proved more than capable of playing through "Master Of Puppets" and sounding pretty good. I have been playing for almost three years and do not think that this guitar needs anything else (maybe a Humbucker in the Bridge but that's it). If this guitar was stolen I would definitely but another one as it is so tonally versatile. My favorite feature is definitely the Whammy Bar as it means I can imitate some of my hero's greatest solos (Master of puppets Was it worth it?) I think however that the Amp (Frontman 15G) needs a lot more work and why wasn't it the 15R for the reverb? It looses one point cause of the amp but overall this guitar gives off the impressoin of being a steady workhorse compared to my other electric guitars. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: phayzze, on october 13, 2011

Purchased from: Danny Rays Music

Features: My guitar was made in 2009 (even though I bout it in 2011)in Indonesia. The Fender website says it has 22 frets though mine only has 21. Rosewood fretboard, maple bold on neck, agathis body. Metallic blue finish. Regular Fender tremolo, goes out of tune if you so much as touch the whammy. Came as SSS, though I have replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan invader. The body had an HHH rout. 1 volume, 2 tone, and 5 way selector switch. Mine was in a start pack so it came with everything. // 8

Sound: The sound is actually quite good for such a cheap guitar, I mostly play punk, pop-punk and alternative rock, occasionally metal, and it does a decent job for all. I'm using a Vox AC15, and a Keely modded Boss DS-1 with the gain at 0 as a boost and to add a bit of dirt, and it actually sound pretty good for my type of music, which I said before is mostly punk. The stock single coil pickups do hum obviously but that's to be expected. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar played great out of the box. Had some minor intonation issues but I've since fixed that. I've also lowered the action just a bit and it plays quite well for such a cheap guitar. It's no PRS, but it'll do the job. Only major issue is the tuning stability isn't very good, so you'll have to tune it quite often. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Th thing is built like a tank. I don't see it breaking any time soon. The strap would slip off sometimes when I first got it but I've bought strap locks since then and that solved the problem. The finish seems pretty thick and tough, though I haven't dropped it or anything like that yet and I've had for less then a year so we'll see how it holds up. I would use it at a gig, but I would definitely want a tuner pedal on stage and check it after each song, and I wouldn't even touch the whammy bar. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said I play alot of punk so this thing handles that great especially with the Seymour Duncan Invader I put in the bridge. I have onlybeen playing for less then a year and it has served me well, and I'm sure it will continue to do so in the future. If it were stolen I would hunt the thief down and take the guitar back, it being my first guitar and all. // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: Kierg100, on november 14, 2011

Features: The Squier Affinity Strat, made in China, has an alder body, 3 single coil pickups, a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard, 2 tone knobs and 1 volume knob and non-locking tuners, 21 medium jumbo frets and a tremolo. // 8

Sound: I play a wide variety of styles, from Clapton to Iron Maiden, the guitar has a lot of variety but overall the pickups aren't great, they hum A LOT. The pickups are good for bright clean tones, but, being single coils, they aren't that good when using high gain/overdrive, I'm going to put some Seymour Duncans in it soon though, that should improve the sound by far. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, the guitar was set up well and I have had no problems with it so far and it has a nice low action. However it doesn't stay in tune too well, especially when using the tremolo, but with a little adjusting of the springs in the back it is good for the price, it's only a 180 guitar, not a 1000 guitar with a floyd rose and locking tuners hehe. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is indestructible, I have dropped it several times (the strap buttons suck), and it still works like new, the finish (sunburst... Sexy) will last a long time also, but I don't think it is gig worthy (I only play it in my bedroom and around the house anyway). // 9

Overall Impression: If you are a beginner looking to buy your first electric guitar, I would recommend this, it is very versatile, cheap, and easy to mod... Put some new pickups in it and some new tuners and it could be the equivalent of a Mexican Fender Strat. If it were stolen I would find and beat the person who took it from me as I love this guitar, being my first electric. // 7

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: J-Mo1997, on december 19, 2011

Features: Made in Indonesia. - 21 Frets - Solid Top - Body Colour: Black and White - Body Wood: Maple - Fretboard Wood: Rosewood - Body Style: Strat - Bridge Style: Strat-Style - 2 Single-Coil Pickups and 1 Humbucking Pickup - 1 Volume Knob - 2 Tone Knobs - 5-Way Selector - Came with a gig bag and strap. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits all styles of music especially rich music with lots of tone variations. It is great for solos and main riffs. It is a perfect entry level guitar for those who play a wide variety of genres. I usually play a lot of old school rock by bands like Deep Purple and Aerosmith. I also enjoy playing metal music by bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Metallica. The distortion effects on this guitar can be unbelievably good with a good amplifier and/or foot pedal, though it was at such a cheap price. This guitar is perfect for those on a tight budget but have an immense passion for music. I use a G-DEC3 amp with this guitar and trust me on this one, they are perfect for each other. The guitar has a bright, rich and chirpy feel to it and can get quite noisy in small appartment or room. It isn't very ideal for gigs but I would risk it. On its own the guitar doesn't have a good distortion sound, that's why investing in a good set of foot pedals would be ideal for this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I received the guitar in perfect condition. The wiring was done perfectly and everything was in right order. In other words it contained no flaws at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You will not believe the number of times I have bumped, dropped from low heights or banged this thing on a wall but it has still withstood the test of durability. I don't really think that it will be ideal for gigs but I would risk it. The hardware seems sturdy and not likely to get spoilt in the near future. I have owned this guitar for 2 years now and it has witstood the test of time. I have changed the strings a few times but nothing apart from that. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar as I said earlier is perfect for almost all kinds of genres. I've been using this guitar for 2 years now and have never regretted in buying it. This was the first electric guitar I owned. I also own a Gibson SG and a Epiphone Les Paul Plustop Pro Fx. If it was lost or stolen I would literally cry. My favourite feature on this guitar is the wide variety of sound it can produce and the 5-Way Selector. The only thing I wish it had was better colours. I recommend this guitar for all those of you who are planning to buy an entry level guitar. // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: saadk97, on june 11, 2012

Features: Made in Indonesia. 21 maple frets. Stratocaster copy, with classic looks. Three single coil pickups, 2 two knobs and one volume knob. All really standard. Has a five-way pickup selector, which gives a decent variety of sound. // 8

Sound: I play mostly heavy rock and blues-rock, and would love to play thrash metal, if my guitar was up to it. I use it with a Fender 15G. Really noisy, and a very thin twangy sound generally. Not full at all. Plays clean decently, and a passable 'crunch', but sounds terrible on anything heavier than AC/DC. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is ridiculous. I avoid playing past the 14th fret because of it. The pickups were fine, but I've had to repair the guitar twice in eight months. I once did a bend, and brought my guitar up as I did so, and my neck cracked. Very loose tuning pegs, one of which is broken. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands live playing fine, but requires constant maintenance. If I had backup, I wouldn't be using this guitar; its the worst I've played. // 6

Overall Impression: It's just a starter guitar, and I suppose that I couldnt expect Les Paul quality sound. I definitely plan on upgrading in the future. Only buy if you are just starting to learn guitar, and have decided to do so on an electric. // 5

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: spn_phoenix_92, on august 15, 2012

Features: My first guitar, the Squier Affinity Strat. I got mine about 8 years ago from my brother, who got it from his friend, so it's been around for about 10-12 years. I don't know where Squier makes their guitars though. It has 21 fret rosewood fretboard with a non gloss feel on the back, to help with fast fingers. The body is made of alder, which looks quite nice on the models with a transparent finish. Mine is the basic black with white pickguard and a Vintage rocking tremolo bridge. It's not that practical because the trem seems to put the guitar out of tune quickly. The tuners don't like to keep tune at first, but after about 3 times then they get used to the string tension and stay pretty well. // 7

Sound: The guitar has 3 single coil Vintage sounding pickups, but I play mostly Hard Rock/Metal, so this doesn't really suit my sound (unless I throw a DragonFire hotrail single coil humbucker on the bridge) but when I first started I played alot of country and classic rock and roll so it suited perfectly. Since they are single coils, they can't take much distortion without bad feedback, but that's expected. Artificial Harmonics are difficult to achieve on them, but natural harmonics ring like a bell. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it used and when I first started out, so I had no idea how to adjust anything, but after learning I found out that it was set up pretty well already. I just raised the pickups a little to alter the sound a bit. The finish doesn't scratch easily or show dents that much, it takes a real beating quite well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: After probably 10 years of abuse, it still works like a charm. There's a little wear on the finish from playing but that happens to every guitar. It still has 100% original hardware and hasn't needed repaired. The strap buttons aren't that great though, I've had a few straps come loose and result in a few dents. // 8

Overall Impression: I've owned about 10+ guitars over the past 8 years, and this one has never failed me. Of course it can't lay a finger on my Michael Kelly Patriot Glory, but it's outlasted a few of my other guitars. If it were stolen I would be so saddened to lose it, it's like an old friend to me. Got me started in guitar playing and has stuck with me ever since. If someone wants a good beginner guitar or a backup that will last years of abuse, this is the one to buy. It's also a perfect guitar for customization, probably the easiest to do. Since it's lasted me so long, I think I may revamp it with a black/red marbled paint job and a loaded pickguard from Tnt guitars, they know their strats. I'd recommend this guitar to anyone. // 8

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: StaindFan97, on august 21, 2012

Purchased from: A friend

Features: Mine was made in 1996. I got it all-stock in 2009 from a friend. But I have played new Affinity Strats. This guitar features a 22-fret rosewood fretboard (there are maple models available as well), an alder body, three passive single-coil pickups, a five-way blade selector, and two volume/one tone. It has your typical Stratocaster tremolo and bridge, and the guitar stays in tune for a good while without excessive use of the trem. // 8

Sound: This guitar can produce a variety of great tones, but it really shines with Blues, Conutry, and softer Rock. After a few years, though, all the pickups start to get a bit muddy and will require a change. You ARE able to put a humbucker in the bridge, if you get a pickguard that allows you to do so. That way, the tonal diversity of the guitar is practically doubled and with the right humbucker, you can get great hard Rock and Metal tones. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was set up perfectly, due to the previous owner. The new one I played right out of the box had a slight bit of buzzing from the 12-15th frets. The Stratocaster is known for being a very comfortable guitar to play, sitting down or standing up. The finishes on Affinity model Strats are basic and bland. Mine was just your generic white-on-black Stratocaster, but the good thing is that the finish and body are very sturdy, and can take a few hits. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This was a backup guitar for me until I modded it, but yes, the stock model will stand up to live playing and it records fairly well. Very sturdy and durable little guitar. Mine is 16 years old and still in perfect working order. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, if you're looking for a guitar to start out playing on, a backup, or you're looking for an inexpensive modding platform, look no further. The Squier Affinity Stratocaster has you covered. Ciao. // 9

Affinity Strat Reviewed by: breather13, on march 20, 2014

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: I would like to first say that I am making my comments and ratings based on how it compares to other guitars around its price range not to ones above it. I have a 2005 Indonesian built Strat with 21 or 22 frets (Can't remember at the moment) with a Rosewood Fretboard. It is a basswood body with a Candy Red Finish. The bridge is a standard tremolo. It has 3 Squier standard strat singlecoil pickups with a 5 way switch, 1 volume and 2 tone knobs. The tuners and pickups are stock but have a good sound for a low end guitar. // 8

Sound: I play a wide range of styles from soft single picking like some Tremonti style all the way to hard rock and some metal and this guitar is fairly versatile. I play it through a Peavey Rage 158 Transtube amp with a Boss DS-1 and Danelectro Fab Chorus pedal and the sound is pretty good with that set up. This guitar has a rather bright tone that you would expect from a strat. It has a nice round vintage sound with the neck pickup and a good bright crisp tone through the bridge. It is not the best guitar for screaming riff and extremely distorted sounds but it will handle it. Also it gets buzzy when tuned below drop C but sounds fine in drop D, C#, or in Eb tuning. With the right amps and effects it will make most sounds that you want it to and can handle a wide range of playing. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I bought this guitar second hand I do not know how it was set up from the factory. Because of this I will talk about the set up when I got it in this section. It was set up rather well. I had to adjust the truss rod some but that's just for player preference. The pickups were better than in expected them to be for a guitar of this caliber. They sounded better and had more distinction between each of them then I expected. I have looked over all the electronics and they seem well put together. There were a few minor flaws but that is most likely just because it was second hand. The biggest flaw in it is that there is a crack in the back of the guitar that runs from just next to the neck pocket to the backplate that was there when I got the guitar but isn't very deep and does not affect the sound quality. The only other flaw I found was that the screws in the plate around the jack started coming loose but I put part of a toothpick in the hole and tightened the screws back down and it is holding up just fine now. I am giving it a 5 because of the guitar when I got it and I do not know how it was from the factory. // 5

Overall Impression: I play so many different styles of music and this guitar handles most of them without problems. It is really versatile. I have been playing for 7 years and have had this guitar for 5 years. I also have a Jasmine ES-31C acoustic, a Kohala ukulele, Sovereign banjo, Epiphone LP Special II, and a cheap no brand Strat. If this guitar were stolen or lost I would buy another immediately. I love the comfort of playing this guitar and the variety of tones I get from it. My parents bought this for me for a gift so I did not compare it to any other gear then but since I've had it I have compared it to my Epiphone and I like it much better. The only thing I would change about it is I would get a humbucker in the bridge instead of the singlecoil if I got another. // 8

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Tele Custom II 7.7 Electric Guitars 10/13/2014