Affinity Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 06/07/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Affinity Telecaster
The Affinity Tele has a slightly slimmer body crafted from solid Alder. All Affinity guitars feature comfortable, 21-fret Maple necks with fast-action fingerboards and die-cast tuners. The Tele features two single-coil pickups and 3-way switching.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Features: 8.3
 8.2
 7.8
reviews (27) pictures (6) 77 comments vote for this gear:
Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: TCkarlos, on august 26, 2006

Features: This was crafted in China in, I believe 2004, but I bought it new in mid-2006. A standard maple C shape neck with 21 medium jumbo frets and a maple fretboard. Traditional tele shaped body and a six saddle top-load bridge. 2 split-single coil pickups, chrome hardware and a 3-way pickup selector. It came as a starter pack with a 10-watt amp which has a distortion button on it, which works quite well. Also a strap, a very short tuition DVD and some picks. // 7

Sound: I play alternative rock to heavier stuff and it suits it ok but it buzzes anytime it starts to be played hard. It is better with the high sounds and it has a good bright sound but it needs better pickups really for the richer sound. I'm using it with the little Squier SP10 amp that it came with and it is very noisy when I'm not playing anything. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: It wasn't set up very well, i.e. the constant buzzing. The pickups aren't adjusted very well and the volume and tone knobs are loose. The finish looks great but won't last very long and in places is already scuffing even though it hasn't ben dropped or taen outside my house at all. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't gig this, the hardware looks pretty good though and the strap buttons are solid. The finish I imagine will wear off very quickly indeed and as I already said, I wouldn't gig this in the first place. I have another Squier which I trust completely but this I just don't, the whole thing just seems too fragile altogether. // 6

Overall Impression: I am a beginner on guitar but a higher intermediate bass player and I also own a Squier P-Bass, which I love. I would definetly buy something else next time. I wish it was set up better and had a humbucker. I had the choice between a Marshall Rocket pack, which everyone has told me to not buy one, a Yamaha pack, some model worse than a Pacifica, and a Strat or Tele pack. I was inclined to go for the Tele on several friends advice and the thesis that everyone has a Strat. While the Strat may be boring, it's probably better. Beginner's guitar? I'm a beginner and it's not easy to learn on. // 6

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 11, 2011

Purchased from: gear4music.com

Features: I assume it was made in the last couple of years (just guessing) and it says it was "crafted in china". Standard 21 fret neck, maple with a polyurethane finish. Body wood is alder, Tele style with a butterscotch blonde finish. The finish seems pretty good, I've been careful, but it has been bumped and dropped a couple of times and remains unscathed. Standard Tele bridge, passive electronics and two single coil pickups. 3-way selector, 1 volume and 1 tone knob. Tuners are non-locking, but I've had it a couple of months now and it seems to hold tune pretty well. Supplies as is, with nothing else (a few picks might have been nice). Pretty much your bog-standard Telecaster setup really. // 9

Sound: This is my first 6 string electric, although I have been playing classical guitar and bass for a few years now, and this really does seem to be a very versatile guitar. I play a fair few different things on it (although all fairly simple) including: Pixies, Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys and The Smashing Pumpkins, and it seems to be able to adapt to any of these pretty well. Basically I've not found a sound I can't get out of it yet (within the limitations of my amp). My amp is a Gear4Music 35W practice amp, and the clean tones I get from my guitar through it are pretty good. If anything I would say the Bridge is a bit twangy and sharp for my taste, but the neck sounds incredibly warm. I've found the best clean sound comes from using both together however. On the overdrive setting the neck pickup produces fairly thick tones, and the bride nice sharp overdrive (which is quite nice), although again my favorite sound comes from using both. The neck pickup is pretty quiet for a single coil, but the Bridge picks up a bit of hum, although neither is noticeable whilst actually playing. All around I think this guitar covers a fair range of tones, at least as many as my friend's Mexican Fender Telecaster which sells for a fair bit more. Don't get me wrong you won't get Ultra heavy metal sounds, nor true surf effects (due to the lack of a tremolo), but the range should be more than sufficient for any budding beginner. I might however swap out one of the pickups for a single spaced humbucker at some point (such as the Seymour Duncan hot rails) just so I can get a slightly thicker sound out of it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came from a website still fully packaged and sealed in tight, so I assume it was not messed with in any way, in which case the factory set-up is the best I've ever seen! Action perfect, pickup heights perfect and condition perfect. I was the guitar tech for my last band , in which time I saw 6 new guitars, none of which were set up this well! I've had no problems with interference, even with a fair bit of electronic equipment about in my room. Also no problems with any of the guitar's internals. No flaws, perfect condition. The frets weren't sharp, the tuning pegs are fine and the saddles haven't sheered a string (a recurring problem for my mate's Mexican Telecaster). Overall nothing to complain about here. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It looks good so far, had it 5 months and absolutely no problems, still looks like it's fresh out of the box, despite a little bit of rough behavior. From past experience with Fender and Squier guitars they are built to last and I'm hoping this is no exception *touch wood*. I would gig with it without a second thought, although I do always gig with a backup (I would take a backup even if my main guitar were a Gibson or real Fender) in case of broken strings/acts of god, I utterly trust the dependency of this guitar. Saying that it is a bit early to tell, hence the 9, not a 10. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a wonderful guitar, and it seems to work well with what I play, I think it's great for any beginner. If it were lost or stolen I would have to think long and hard about replacing it with an identical model, I may take an upgrade and go for an Epiphone of some sort, no reflection on this guitar, I'd just like to try a few others before recommitting. I can honestly say there is nothing I hate about it, does the job perfectly. Before I bought it I did review a lot of guitars in the 100 - $250 bracket, and decided that this was a good choice for all round playing (not knowing what genre I was going to play most once I got it) and I stick by that decision. The only thing I may do is get a humbucker to replace one of the pickups, but it really isn't anything urgent and will only happen if I feel like spending some extra cash unnecessarily. Overall great guitar, recommended! // 9

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: RiCkI55, on july 05, 2007

Purchased from: Guitar Empire

Features: I believe this is a 2005 model that was apparently "Crafted in China" as it states on the back of the headstock. It has 21 medium size frets set into a maple fingerboard on a "c shape" maple neck. The body of this guitar is in the shape of a Telecaster (obviously) and is made from Alder and comes with a very nice if not a very thin Butterscotch Blonde finish, which looks absolutly brilliant with the White scratchplate that was fitted (unlike the black one in the picture). This guitar has a Tele style bridge with 6 top loading saddles which are easily adjustable for intonation and for action. On the chrome control plate you will find 2 chrome knobs; One for volume, the other for tone. There is also a 3-way pickup selector switch. The pickups on this guitar are 2 single coils with a chrome "lipstick" pickup in the neck position and a "hotter single" pickup in the bridge position. The tuners on this guitar aren't locking but they still hold the guitar in tune very well, even when played hard. I didn't get any accessories with my guitar. // 7

Sound: I mainly use this guitar at the moment as it's the only one I've got but I do use it for home practice and also for recording and performing with my band. The style of music I am using it for is: Oasis, Sex Pistols, Stone Roses and The Who, which it holds up to very well and sounds great. The amp I'm using this through is my Marshall MG50 DFX and it sounds great on that on either clean or overdrive, the sound is pure Tele through and through. The guitar has a very bright and biting sound on the bridge pickup and sounds great on the Marshalls overdrive where it just "snarls and growls" through the riffs and also sounds great when soloing. When youve switched back to clean you'll still find that the bridge pickup has it's trademark twang and sounds ver clear and jangly. When you Switch to the neck pickup it can sound a little muddy when used with lots of gain so I tend to only use it on clean and on a slight overdrive. overall the neck pickups tone is great and is warm and smooth. When the pickup Switch is set to the middle position you get a blend of both pickups and that has the twang of the bridge and the warmth of the neck. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I brought this guitar new from the shop and it was set up very well with hardly no flaws apart from the white scratchplate that should have been a black one but that's my only flaw with it really! The finish on this guitar is beautiful and really complements the lighter neck and scratchplate very well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for about 7 months now and it already looks like an original tele from the 60s as the butterscoth finish looks great but it is very very very thin and even the slightest tap or knock will make the paint chip off, so thin in fact you can see where the paint is chipping off from when I catch the top bout of the guitar with my plectrum when I'm playing hard. So it does now look well used! I have however used this guitar for gigging (with a backup obviously) and I'm not exactly the softest person to play guitar either so overall it's doing a very good job of delivering the goods. The hardware and strap buttons on this guitar are very hardwearing and have yet to fail me. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I think this tele is great for the style of music that me and my band play (indie, rock, punk) and I think it sounds great for all of them. However you can't really play death metal on it as it want designed to do so. I have been playing guitar for about 2 years now and already own this guitar, A Vintage Strat copy which was my first guitar and I don't really play, and my Marshall MG50 DFX. Hopefully saving up for the Epiphone Supernova in the next few months. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would most likely go out and buy a Fender or maybe a higher range Squier Telecaster as I have fallen in love with the sound and playability of this great guitar! // 8

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: CHIROBLASTER, on november 15, 2006

Purchased from: Bulgaria

Sound: The guitar is perfect for country, blus and all this styles where the guitar's sound is mainly clean. The Telecaster has a special clear-ringing sound especially when it is played on neck position with the "lipstick" pickup and it's very original for a solo guitar. I play punk, rock and the guitar sounds again nice. However when I try to play something hard the sound become too unclear (like to play hardcore with a country guitar). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The ringing tone doesn't sound nice in metalcore music or even in hard punk and rock. But sometimes you may try to use it for more specific sounding, it's sound is realy unique and original. The guitar isn't very confortable, the solid body is too heavy and it's shape is uncomfortable for playing while you're sitting but it's neck is perfect I think the best one. The finish is great (Chinese are the best), it looks like a real Fender. Only one complain, the first string sounds more powerful than the other and the guitar rings in addition (I think this is a pickup problem). // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very durable and the hardware is still working, so I can say the guitar is very nice. It sounds great without effects and it's very beautifull man looks really great with it. I only the button for the change of the pickup position is a bit unstable and shaky (all the Squier affinity telecasters in the shop have the same problem). // 8

Overall Impression: The guitar is very good for beginners and also can be a main and constant guitar because it has a large variety of opportunities. It is a classic among the guitars and I think is better than the Stratocaster in every aspect. Although it isn't like some other guitars with the same price it is something special and it isn't for everybody. // 6

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: horseguitar, on july 31, 2009

Purchased from: www.guitar.co.uk

Features: I got this in summer 07 in black with a white pick guard. It has a pretty Standard tele set up; 3 way pick up selector, volume and tone control. It has two single coil pickups, just basic pickups for entry squires, nothing special, but my no means bad. The body is for some reason thinner than a regular tele, maybe to save money and wood in manufacture or just to make it lighter for begginers. // 8

Sound: I've been using mine mainly with a marshal mg15 amp, but I have also used it in my friends larger amps aswell as live and for some recording. Overall it has a nice sound. The bridge pickup without a doubt has has the classic tele twang and sounds good with distortion (though there is alot of hum if the tv or the laptop are near by). I Play mainly pop punk styles and some more clean jazzy sounds and it copes very well. My only real issue is when I play it alongside my friends Fender lite Ash tele, the Fender is noticably better. But on its very good and i have no complaints. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, the action was a little bit high but the anotation was fine. The pickups were more or less the right hight. I'm not really sure if the neck pickup is adjustable, the bridge pickup is and I raised it slightly near the lower strings which made its distorder sound better. The tone control wasn't on as tight as the volume but only needed tightening with a small alan key. In term of finish the guitar was very clean and shiney with no imperfections on the finish. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar as withstood a couple of Live gigs with few complaints always with a back up guitar though. A few scratches and dents in the back from my belt and some paint chips from knocks but that just my fault I guess. None of the finish has worn away simpley from regular use. It would make a perfect practice guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: If this guitar was stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again just because it is an entry level guitar, but I would miss it. After playing this I have just ordered another Squier Telecaster, this time a tele custom with P90s. If your a begginer guitarist or are buying your first guitar, I would definatly recomend it but for a more experienced player I would say get a higher level squire. // 10

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: jeb_, on may 09, 2011

Purchased from: simphony

Features: THE guitar did not come with accessories. The most useful feature on this guitar would have to be the action. Perfect. I mean PERFECTION! Better than any Fender I've ever played. I wish though that the Bridge was string-thru-body. It seems easier that way. Also a better job on the neck please. More finish. It was fast at first but now after 1 1/2 years of daily play, it has worn off.But still perfect, 2 single coil pickups, maple neck, alder body, 21 jumbo frets (maple). // 10

Sound: it sounded pretty good as it was, have since changed to a set of tex-mex pickups and now this thing sounds wonderful clean. It's not noisy at all, a bit of hum, but nothing that is terrible. Very good guitar for beginners as well as more experienced players. It also looks as good as it plays. For turning into a relic. A relic and you don't have the cash this is the thing to go for. It has a fast neck, smooth action, very stable tuning. And most importantly an excellent tone. It doesn't buzz when you play it either. Nice sound, I liked this better than my Standard Fender strat. I'm using an Roland 40xl which is a nice amp, I used blues pedals, sounds great even better than gibsons with stock humbuckers. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The only difference I noticed was that the Squier had a little more hum than the Fender. That can be fixed, however, with some of Fender's best pickups. It is an excellent guitar for anyone. For those who are more serious players, it can be tweaked to sound and feel like a Fender. Good guitar. The pickups are adjusted well, just like a real fender. For fast action, this has a neck that fits fast and slow actions. Mine was butterscotch finish with is nice, and unique to the affinity. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The stock pickups present a good dose of the classic Tele sound when played clean, although lacking in personality. Hum is well controlled, with the pickups rather indifferent to interference. The neck pickup is rather thick and nondescript, which at first listen could be interpreted as warm and full by some. The Bridge pickup on this sample can be cold, shrill, and grating. However, the two pickups mate adequately when paired. Tone is perceived as favorable when dirt is dialed in. Overall, the pickups produce the best jazz, blues, and rock tones I have ever seen. The finish will last along time, mine is 3 years now, nothing wrong with it, the hardware do not rust or broke. I used this guitar to play some live blues licks on gigs, and its amazing, totally dependable. // 10

Overall Impression: A guitar that's excellent value per $ paid. Delivers more than it promises. If treated with care will supply years and years of joy. If you meet these, buy it without thinking twice. If mine was lost, I would totally buy 1 again, but Custom finishes. I also have a Fender Stratocaster '59 but I still liked the playability of this guitar better. I love everything about this guitar, finish, style, neck, bridge, pickups, pick guard, just everything. Nothing I hated. I wish it had gold hardware, but the quality of this guitar is just amazing. // 10

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: KnightX, on may 16, 2011

Purchased from: guitar centre

Features: It's the butterscotch Telecaster, pretty much a workhorse guitar. Basic Telecaster features, single neck pickup and single bridge, knurled chrome volume and tone control, 3 way top hat selector. It has a 21 fret neck (the Ibanez has 24, but I rarely make it up that high on the neckboard anyway). It looks like re-stringing be a task, but I will find out when the time comes. // 10

Sound: It has that shrill Telecaster sound, perfect for my music playing styles (CCR, Jay and The Americans, Johnny Rivers, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly...) in small settings I go through a 30 watt ss combo amp, or through the house P.A. The neck pickup is perfect for my rhythms and the combo or Bridge pickup for leads. I had always used a heavier sounding Ibanez with HH configuration, but this kinda overtook my thought process. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: From the store, it was set up instantly, intonation, action, etc... Just a quick tuning and it was ready to rock. The tuning pegs are good and secure, frets well positioned. I can't find any flaws with it, of course it is new and hasn't been bumped around by me or hopefully anyone else yet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I played a few different gigs with it and maybe tweaked one string not even a 16th of a turn. I usually start my sets with a good solid rockabilly number and the tuning held up. Sound was brilliant and caught a lot of people by surprise from the heavy distorted sounds of the previous act's guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I like doing the real good retro stuff, late 50's, 60's and 70's (don't get me wrong, I'd love to play like Zakk Wylde or even Gary Hoey, but I'm happy with my licks). I've been doing music since the 70's, been through a few phases (country, bluegrass, Texas Swing, metal). I have an Ibanez that's a great shredder, and a 12 string Yamaha which is sweet, but this one has me where it wants me. I went to Guitar Centre expecting to buy a Gibson LP, or an SG and my G/F brought this one to me and said "try it" I did, and about 30 minutes later I was leaving with it under my arm. If something happened I would definitely get a new one (white if I could find it). // 10

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: rex15, on july 27, 2011

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: 53rd Street Music

Features: I think this has really good features. Made in Japan (of course), 21 frets, maple neck, and made of good solid materials. The only thing I don't like is the pickup selector which feels like it could come off any second but other than that this guitar has really good features. // 9

Sound: I mostly play country and electric blues and this suits my style really good. I don't have to use any effects and it sounds awesome through my Fender Mustang amp. I don't really use the neck pickup that often mostly just the Bridge because I love that clean sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I think the action is awesome right out of the box especially for a guitar at this price. I prefer les pauls for lead stuff but the action on this is pretty awesome. The only flaw on the neck was after about a month there was scratches or dents or something that made it really hard to bend the 12th fret. But that's probably my fault since I play my guitars pretty hard. The finish is gorgeous. The best finish on any of my guitars. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Although this is an awesome guitar I would not play this on stage because of my pickups. After about two months the pickups were going haywire. They started just cutting out while I was in the middle of a song. Good pickups except they don't last very long. I would use It as a backup but not my main guitar. So I'm just gonna get some Fender noisless pickups and have them installed. I think the wood is really good and will probably last a long time.The finish I think is very lasting. I've bumped, scratched, and dropped it and not a mark. // 8

Overall Impression: My Impression of this guitar is very good and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good solid guitar that's great for practicing or rehearsing. If it were stolen or it broke I would definitley get another. The only thing I could say I wish it had would be better pickups. Other than that It's awesome. // 9

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 23, 2011

Features: I am guessing this was made around 2010. This is the butterscotch model. Basic Fender Tele configuration. It came with really light strings (.008 I believe)which I changed to a light top heavy bottom. All of the volume and tone and selectors are basic Tele style. Nothing fancy. The guitar included no accessories and I got about 15 bucks off because it was missing the selector knob (I got one at another store for about 2.00). // 7

Sound: My musical styles are all over the map. I usually play through a Behringer acoustic amp and a Fender Frontman. It's noisy, but they are single coil pickups. Not a really loud or powerful guitar, as the pickups don't hae a lot of punch. The sound is full and definitely Tele. Volume does not compare to my other electrics (Les Paul, Ibanez Artcore, Strat, Ovation UK II). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got a bit off the guitar because it had a couple of dings in it. Otherwise, very nice finish, nice look. Pickups were way low and I raised the bridge pickup. I had to do some tweaking to get the action where I wanted. The neck needed adjustment and as I said, a heavier gauge string was put on, and that helped a lot. The three position switch is pretty cheap, and has to be handled carefully. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I use this guitar mostly for our little church praise band. Not very rigorous playing. I probably would not use it for hard gigging. I use it because it plays well, is cheap, and easy to haul around and I don't have to really worry about it. The Les Paul and the Strat stay at home. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a great value for the money. It plays well, stays in tune, and once adjusted has been very stable. The neck is very comfortable and it holds tune well even under furious string bends. This would be a great beginner's guitar, as well as a good one if you want the Tele sound but don't want to spend a lot. I have considered replacing the pickups, but as of yet have not. // 7

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2012

Features: It is a standard Telecaster, only of far lower quality. The pickups are very noisy even by single coil standards. The machine heads are really poor. The frets need to be leveled and shaped. The finish is good and it does stay in tune, so those are pluses. // 5

Sound: I play everything, but honestly as presently configured I would not even use this as a backup for my backup. The neck pickup is passable through a JC120 or similar amp that plays well clean. The bridge pickup is garbage - too noisy clean and too muddy when driven. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: Action as received = 2, and I am being generous. Pickups were adjusted fine, but they are just weak. Finish is good, electronics stink, frets need to be leveled and rounded. The nut needs to be replaced, as do the machine heads. The saddle is properly set but I do not trust it and will replace it. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The guitar itself will survive live gigging, but the hardware and electronics are unreliable and poor. The strap buttons will be replaced but I always do that. As currently configured I would not gig this at all. This is a project guitar, nothing more. If the finish were poor I'd give this category a 1. // 3

Overall Impression: I play everything, so once I mod this it should be fine. I've been playing for 41 years. As currently configured, I would not replace. The neck is straight and the finish is good, and the frets and bridge are properly placed for correct intonation. Everything else needs to be replaced or modded. It was a gift. I would never have purchased such a thing for myself. What I wish it had it will have. I am replacing the bridge, the machine heads, all of the electronics, scalloping the neck, leveling and dressing the frets, and throwing a Twang King in the neck and a Chopper T in the bridge. // 4

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: jeffo46, on june 07, 2013

Features: Mine was made in January of 2013, which puts this as relatively brand new to say the least. It has a Alder body with a Maple neck and fretboard with Black dot inlays. The tuners are stock Squier and the electronics are 2 Squier Standard Telecaster Ceramic Pickups. It also has 1 Volume and 1 Tone control with a stock 3 way pickup switch. The bridge is a topload that has 6 standard Bridge saddles which IMO, make restringing a bit difficult. The finish is Butterscotch with a black pickguard for a nice retro 1950's look. // 9

Sound: The stock pickups on this are a bit bright but can be adjusted with the tone knob, which does work really well. I am using this with my 1989 Peavey Bandit 112 solo series 80 watt combo along with my DigiTech RP-50 effects processor. Playing it straight through the amp without the processor on the amp's clean channel, this guitar sounds absolutely awesome and definitely has that classic Telecaster twang to it. Putting the switch in the lead position gives this guitar some really biting tones. Even when I hit the amp's gain control, I was amazed at how much punch these stock pickups have. This baby can definitely handle any genre of music from Blues to Metal as far as I'm concerned. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As with any new guitar, I did have to do a slight setup in order to accommodate my personal tastes. The pickups were set just fine but the intonation along with the string height, was off just a slight bit and needed to be adjusted. The neck was adjusted just fine, with no bow at all and the stock frets don't have any edges sticking out at all. I had heard some folks complain about the stock 3 way pup switch as being rather flimsy but I don't have that problem with mine at all. Maybe they were a bit rough with theirs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: With lower priced guitars like these, I do like to perform mods on them and this one is no exception. I said earlier that the stock bridge saddles make restringing difficult, so I have some Vintage style 3 barrel saddles on order, which I will install on this. That will make restringing this much easier. Plus I also have a Greasebucket circuit tone kit on order along with a Seymour Duncan designed TE-101B pickup for the bridge position on order. Once I have those installed on this guitar, those will make a major difference and will make it definitely a gig worthy instrument IMO. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 40 years and I have to say that if you are on a budget or are a beginner, then this is quite the deal if you are in the market for a Vintage looking Telecaster which is actually made and backed by Fender. If you can get by the stock bridge as far as restringing is concerned, then this is a winner. If it were stolen would I get another one? Probably, because for the price, these are actually great sounding and fun guitars to have. Squier has upped their game within the last few years since moving production to China and guitars like these are the proof of the pudding. // 9

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: mfergel, on november 16, 2006

Features: Standard tele for the most part. Top loading bridge. Finish is pretty thin. Most likely a urethane. Mine is already showing some cracking along some of the wood grain. Might bother some folks. I figure it will make an interesting looking relic some day. The electronics are ok but not great. Stock pickups sound fine but a little thin. I replaced the stock pickups with GFS Fatbody pups. Much fuller sound without being too hot or taking away from the standard tele twang sound. The three way has a very loose feel too it. The pots are ok but again, not great. I've got a complete 4-way switching system that I'll be installing so all of that stuff will be coming out. Cheap plastic nut. That will eventually need to be replaced. Also, I changed out the bridge saddles with some better ones (with shorter set screws). I also added a 3-ply B/W/B pickguard and Schaller strap locks, so, ultimately, I have the original body, neck, tuners and bridge base plate. Don't get me wrong, it's still a plenty nice guitar and plays really well. I just did that stuff to make it a better guitar. // 7

Sound: I really needed something with single coils as humbuckers just don't work for all styles of music. This really fits the bill for a lot of stuff where a less heavy sound is needed. I'm using a number of different effects and amps. This guitar sounds excellent when using an acoustic emulator. I've been using it for everything from blues to classic rock to modern punk (Blink 182, Green Day, etc). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was really nice. As I mentioned, the guitar plays really well. The finish, ultimately, isn't going to hold up in the long run, but that also depends on where you play, how often you play, etc. This guitar will probably turn into a decent looking relic on it's own. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think even in it's stock form that it's a reliable guitar. The changes I've made make it a better guitar and really helped fill a need. Even a PRS is going to fall apart if you don't take care of it properly. As mentioned, the finish looks a little thin (a tinted clear coat) but I kind of like that. Not the typical 1/4 thich urethane finish like a lot of guitars. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm really happy with it. I didn't feel like spending $600 on an American Tele and this more than meets my needs now. Plus, it makes a great project guitar. Who knows, maybe one day I'll strip the finish, route the edges for binding and refinish the whole thing. // 9

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: mr. jimmy, on march 24, 2007

Purchased from: music & arts

Features: This is a 2005 made in china butterscotch blonde Squier affinity tele. It has a bolt-on two piece maple neck and 21 medinum jumbo frets. I'm not positive what the bodywood is, but I assume it's alder. It has a beautiful transparent butterscotch blonde finish that unfortunately chips easily. It has a Standard tele bridge with two passive single coil pickups. It has three way switching and a volume and tone knob. It came in a gig bag. // 7

Sound: I play classic rock/blues and this guitar fits it well. It has a weak clean sound that is expected from a Squier, but it can still make a lot of noise. I play it through Fender Champion 100 and I feel that I could get a wide variety of tones from it. I could see this guitar being used to play any type of music because it is so versitale. You can get very dirty/crunchy sounds and a good clean sound. My only big complaint is that the pickups buzz, but after a while it's just white noise. Basically: it sounds like a tele should, but a little worse, because it is after all a Squier. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first opened this guitar (on christmas a while back), it seemed perfect; all I had to do was tune it up and it was ready to go. But after a while, I noticed many annoying flaws. First, the strings buzz. I tried everything but it still buzzes if I play hard. Second, the fret ends. They've never cut my fingers or anything, but it's annoying running up the neck and feeling the fret ends on your fingers. Lastly, some parts on this guitar doesn't seem to be put together well. I could easily take off a knob just by pulling on it. Other than that, everything else seems to be fine. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take a beating, unfortunately the paint can't. As I mentioned before, it can chip kind of easily, but there are no major spots on mine. I actually like the chipped paint though, it makes the guitar look like it has been played. I can't imagine my guitar without the chips; hell, Gibson and Fender sell guitars for twice as much that way! Other than that, (and the knobs, which I explained earlier), this guitar is solid. It is also light weight, so you can play for hours without feeling it. // 8

Overall Impression: I actually really like this guitar. It has its flaws, but they are nothing out of the ordinary for a guitar in this price range. My favorite feature of this guitar is the very playable neck, which is the reason that I often prefer playing it over my Gibson Les Paul. If it were stolen, I don't think I would buy another one, not because I don't like the guitar, but that it is a great guitar for beginners and I want something better now; I would just try to get my guitar back because it is my first guitar and I love it. I won't say that this is a beginner's guitar, because no-one wants to play a 'beginner's guitar', but I'll just say that it is a good Standard guitar, that would help those just starting to play. In the future, I will probably put in some new pickups, probably get a new bridge, and even maybe a new neck; then it will be just as good as any other Tele. // 8

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: xvasmx, on january 07, 2008

Sound: It's pretty good I would say. The single coil pickups are pretty good, the bridge good too but the sound sorta cracks alreayd at a certain point. It gives so far a good sound if partnered with good amps. I use a Vox AD15VT amp and it has multiple of effects and so far it's pretty good with it I have found great settings for the map to make the guitar sound great. The Bridge double coil pickup has helped me be able to play songs like Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Child O' Mine, Over The Hills And Far Away even tho I don't have a Les Paul. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups can be more centered and in line with the strings. The pickup selector is good doesn't cause much disturbance. The frets had enough space between them but it's only 21 I would wanted more since a lot of songs push your fingers to the very ends of the guitar. The finish and quality of the material looks good so far it hasn't broken in 2 or cracked so I'd say it's pretty good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I am no so sure about playign it at Gigs maybe as a second hand and for practice since I'd go with better guitars for gigs.But for now it's the only one I have. The hardware seems ok. The Strap buttons on my almost killed me it's been maybe 3-4 times it has almost fallen off but I got it fixed so no worries. The finish looks like it would last. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a lot of melodic rock and a lot of '70s and '80s songs a lot of Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones. But I also play newer ones like Linkin Park where the guitars sounds starts breaking beacause of the distortion and all that. But for thre odl stuff I play it's great but a les paul would have made greater sounds since that's what they used. Simple humbucking produces a good sound to use for it anway so far it's great for me pretty cheap to but that's only my opinion peopel may agree or disagree with me. // 9

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: krazykop, on april 14, 2008

Purchased from: Rimmer's Music

Features: Made in China. 21 medium jumbo frets. Maple neck. Alder/agathis body. Bolt-on neck. Satin finish. Standard Telecaster body with standard 6 string Toploader bridge. 1 volume knob, one tone knob, 3-way pickup selector. Two single coil pickups, and non-locking tuners. // 9

Sound: It suits my style very well with the two single pickups. I play alternative rock, classic rock, some bluesy stuff, nothing to hard. Although it might benefit from a humbucker pickup (for my style)it is very versatile for a guitar of it's price. I mplay it through a Roland Cube 30X and it sounds great! Makes a range of sounds on this. A very versatile sound for its price tag, but obviously only beginner standard. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Really nicely set up, the Fender 250 strings that come as standard are a bit thick but you can change those really easily. From what I can see all is well. Oh, the nut is plastic but looks fairly durable, and sometimes when you're sliding up and down the neck if you squeeze a little too hard then you're hand can get shredded by the fret wire sticking out a bit, but not too much. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seeing as it's only a beginner guitar, it would do for live playing but maybe something with a sweeter tone for live playing but as far as durability goes it is very robust. Strap buttons seem solid (touch wood). I would probably use it in a gig without a backup but I would always have a backup anyway because you can never be too sure. Finish seems solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from jazz to hard rock, including punk, alternative, garage rock and it suits me fine. Very versatile. I've been playin for about 3 months now and I have a Cube 30X (as said earlier). I would definatley buy another if it were stolen/lost, when I could raise the cash. I love the neck, nice and thin and easy to play. I compared it to the Epiphone Les Paul Special II but I chose the Tele because it has a nicer sound. If there was one thing I had on it, it would be a set of wolume and tone knobs for each pickup. // 10

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: Fabk, on march 04, 2009

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Musix.ch

Features: It is a Squier Affinity Telecaster made in China, it has 22 medium jumbo frets. The neck is an all maple c-shaped. The body of the guitar is alder and the finish is polyurethene, finish seems sturdy it has never chipped. it's a top load bridge with six saddle heads. The pickup setup is normal singlecoil-singlecoil. The pickups are ok (three way switching, one volume and one tone control) but through a Fender blues deluxe what do you expect from a affinity series guitar. The tuners are Standard die cast... Not very specific of Squier but I guess some chinese made ones. Guitar came with no accessories. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of classic and alternative/indie rock, some blues and my own stuff, the guitar itself didn't give me a lot of versatility by itself but with my Fender amp I got some nice tunes. If you like classic rock and blues it is a great guitar but if you want some more distortion you need a pedal. Uhm what I noticed the pickups don't seem to mish well with an EHX fuzz pedal, everytime I tried it just sounded bad. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Right out of the box the guitar had great action and was tuned perfectly the pickups were adjusted well too. I must say everything on this guitar was good the frets were all alive the tuners were working. Suprisingly enough on my Fender CD-60 there are two dead frets which sucks cause you expect better from a Fender even if it is china built as well. But anyways the Telecaster came to me in great state! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Uhm I wouldn't know about Live playing cause I never have with it but the hardware seems good and so do the strap buttons. The guitar finish is really good I hit it by accident on my bed, couch, closet and table and still no kinks in it. // 7

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar because I'm a huge fan of Keith Richards so I play a lot of stones and Indie music. It worked really well for classic rock and blues but lesser for alt/indie rock. I have been playing for 9 months but have a lot of experience with guitar equipment cause my cousin owns many guitars and teaches me. Uhmm something I had wished I asked? If this was a real mexican made Fender cause it sure feels like one. If it were stolen and I was in the same financial state then yes I would buy it again but now I'm looking at some other squiers like the Jagmaster and the custom tele. My favorite feature is it's neck I have small hands and it just suit's them perfectely. I chose this one just cause it was a tele and cheap, but really I got way more than I expected even though I didn't even try out this guitar before purchase I was extremly satisfied with it. // 9

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: oncenfutureidio, on march 19, 2009

Features: I really enjoy playing this guitar. It is a US made guitar. 21 frets and really comfortable and quick action. The body of the guitar is sleek and is very durable. I have it in Butterscotch color. I the only problem I have had with the guitar so far is that one of the wires was not properly secured to the 3-way pickup controls. Other than that, the clean sound is very good for David Bowie songs and also for more modern bands. The distortion is very good as well. It produces a sound that fit's perfectly with a fast, punk-rock sound. If the tone is put down, it creates a good fuzzy sound, like The Black Keys. However, not all sounds (metal, grunge, etc.) can be perfect with the guitar. Everything else is pretty good. Take the time to think about what music you want to play and test the guitar before you buy it. // 9

Sound: The guitar fit's my style of music perfectly. I used an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. And the sound was too clean and produced a hum. This Affinity produces a minimum hum, and produces a punk sound on distortion. The sound is more focused on a 90s rock to modern rock basis. It is a full sound. The guitar, on clean, is very rich and you can hear every string. For what I use the guitar for, it has fitted my needs perfectly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar is very quick, especially for solos. Pending what gauge of strings of you use (I use D'Adarrio Extra Lights [.09]) and the action for the strings offer great control over what is being played. The body and neck of the guitar are in almost perfect condition. When I bought the guitar, there was a slight nick in the neck of the guitar right after the 7th fret, but it did not affect the sound and neck of the guitar. The wood does not scratch that easily and it fits anyone Who is an intermediate guitar player. The pick ups are in good placement and work really well. It was very well put together. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar at several shows so far and it still sounds like the first time I plugged it in. I usually only bring this guitar to my shows, it's rare I bring anything else. The finish is very good for jumping around and being able to be knocked around for a bit. I have dropped it on occasion, but it did not effect the guitar too much, there was nothing but a scratch that came off when the guitar was cleaned. // 9

Overall Impression: I play punk music and it fit's perfectly to my needs. I have been playing for about 3 years. I own a Marshall amp and a Fender amp. I also own a Mega Distortion pedal. All of my equipment suit's my guitar to what I need. I would indeed buy this guitar again if it were missing. I never really hate anything about my guitar, I find it very fitting to me. I compared it to another Squire, a Strat and a Yamaha guitar. I was very thankful I bought this guitar, I have had it for a year and still works like the first day I bought it. I would recommend this guitar to anyone still learning guitar, but knows a lot of the basics and can do some soloing. // 9

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: rayessez, on november 27, 2009

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Made 2006 I believe in China, it is a 21 fret guitar with a maple neck. The fret spacing is medium Jumbo. Body made from three pieces of solid Alder. Traditional Tele Body and has top loading bridge. Features two single coil pickup's in the neck and bridge positions, and three way switchng with volume and tone control. Tuners do not lock, seem to keep the guitar in tune quite well. // 7

Sound: This tele plays rock and punk extremely well, it seemed to play blues well on the neck pickup. I was skeptical at first when buyin it because I don't care much for the traditional tele twang but I liked the look of the guitar so I went ahead and purchased it. I was pleasantly surprised because it plays the aforementioned genres of music very well. The pickups however were not adjusted properly and were of poor quality so they produced a lot of buzzing on my Marshall amp, this is unnoticeable while playing but when you stop it is really quite annoying. I've tried playing reggae on this guitar but it seemed to pack too much punch and it was very difficult to find a tone that suited the reggae style. There are a wide variety of tones on the clean setting, and the hum is almost unnoticeable. The bridge pickup, though it buzzes alot, is pretty hot and plays pinch harmonics well and reacts well to aggressive styles of play. Do not buy this guitar if you want a traditional tele sound. This guitar looks like a tele but the sound reminds me more of the sound of an SG. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The bridge needed major adjustment when I bought it, and some of the wiring seemed to have come apart after a few months of playing which was very strange to me. If you know what you are doing, it is easy to fix. The routing was good and the tuners were decent. The fretwires could have used a bit more filing, but I must say that the neck on this guitar was amazing. This neck is one of the best I have played on. It was very smooth, and because it is an affinity series tele, the neck is narrower near the headstock making almost every note on the guitar easy to access and play. This neck rivals the neck on my Gibson Les Paul Standard which I paid $2500 for. The finish is very thin, I have chipped it off in a few places. The hardware is nothing like the hardware on a Gibson or Fender, but was in decent working condition and had no major flaws except for the loose wiring on the bridge pickup. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would not play this guitar live. It has too much buzz and with the wiring problems I have encountered I simply do not trust it. The strap buttons are solid, the hardware, the finish and the wiring seem very unreliable to me. I would not use it at a gig without a backup. // 6

Overall Impression: This is an excellent beginners guitar, the sound fits the genre of rock very well. I have been playig for 3 years and as I said this was my first guitar, when I bought it I compared it to an Epiphone les paul. The sound and comfort of this guitar blew away the Epiphone, this guitar is very easy to play, but when comparing it to a Fender or a Gibson, it stands no chance. Over all a great buy for $150 canadian. Not recommended to high intermediate or advanced players unless you want the neck. // 8

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: kangaxxter, on december 10, 2010

Purchased from: Swing City Music

Features: My Affinity Tele was constructed in China in January, 2008. I picked it up in October '09. Mines in black w/ white pickguard. All the specs are exactly the same as ever other reviewer's Tele, so lets just skip right into the important stuff. I play Blues, Punk, Rock on this bad boy, through a Fender Champ 300. Also, something to notice: The Body is considerably thinner than a normal Telecaster. // 7

Sound: It's a good sounding, low gain guitar. Practically perfect for blues, Jazz, Country, Surf (only to some extent, as it has no Trem). Anything that doesn't require loads and loads of gain with sound great on this Guitar. It's no slacker to higher gain applications though. but you're unlikely to get a "tight" or "Hard" sounding distortion, and more like a "Fuzzy" distortion, even when using Metal Distortion levels. The Pick-ups aren't noiseless so you catch some hum, and since it doesn't come shielded it's noticeable, but only when you're not playing. It's unnoticeable when you're playing. The covered neck pickup isn't nearly as noisy as the uncovered bridge. A good shield with copper tape does wonders (hell, even tin foil under the pickguard helps!) Overall, it's sounds good, but I've found it lacking. Sustains there and tone is there but something about the pickups make it not as good as it could be, and a Pup swap is definitely in this guitar's future. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Action & Fit: GREAT! It honestly has the best playability of any guitar I've ever played. Mine was either set up by the Guitar shop, or by the factory, cause it played great the first time I picked it up. I adjusted the pick up height to get a better sound out of it, which did wonders for the Pups, and I definitely recommend that any one playing this for anything but Jazz to raise the bridge pick up about a Quarter inch. Finish & Look: ok this is where I really have problems with this Guitar. The finish on the neck (both back and fingerboard) is super thin. and I've already worn through it on some parts. But I mean, it's not super awesome wood underneath and really looks bad when you start to wear through. The Finish on the body is super think though, like all Squier Guitars, so "meh" to that. Note: Also, the store I bought mine from used to use my guitar as a display model in the window, but they didn't take of the pickguard sticker. So my pickguard had a discoloration that looks cool, but there's a bright white spot in the middle. I would up just painting the pickguard flat white and dealing with it. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Bottom line: The thing's built like a tank. I've smacked it around a lot and it's yet to give in any part. (Except for the Control Knobs, which I had to glue back on to keep them from falling off) The Guitar will withstand live playing, but I wouldn't gig with it. Well, I use it as a back up in case I break a string on my Jazzmaster, but that's it. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, it's a decent guitar, and much better than some of the other offerings in it's price range. And it's really a wonderful starter guitar, but there's really not that much more to do with it besides mod it. If you're not a beginner or a modder than I suggest you let this deal pass though cause it's really not worth the effort. // 7

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: elementpunk123, on march 23, 2011

Features: I have a Squire Affinity Telecaster that was made in China, I'm not sure of the year. It has an all maple neck with 21 frets bolted on to an alder body. The neck is unfinished where you can see knots, the body a butterscotch blond that allows you to see the grain of the wood with a black pick guard. Its the usual tele shape with a top loader bridge, some off brand pickups, master tone and volume and a 3 way switch. // 8

Sound: I play mostly rock, metal and punk, but I wanted a guitar that could play classic rock had a mellow blues like sound with a nice punk distortion. The neck pickup is very mellow dark and has that bluesy sound.The Bridge pickup is the complete opposite it has a very raw sound sharp and crisp really in your face. The cleans on this guitar are even better the neck gives an amazing clean that I was after while the Bridge gives you a bright twangy sound. Overall I like the stock pickups some might complain about the loud feedback but I think it adds a little flavor. They are not as precise they can get muddy but its easily handled. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it used so I can't really say how it came from the factory but when I picked it up it was awesome. No fret buzz, intonation all correct and topped off with low action. The only downside is it had 9s on it I rather have 10s but I don't feel like ruining the set up. The Switch is flimsy but it not a huge concern the tone pot dosen't make a big difference. The finish is beautiful very glossy with a Vintage appeal along with the chrome hardware and pick guard. Which even makes it worse since the finish is thin making it very easily to chip. The controls are loose but not enough for me to care everything is fine to be honest no real concerns except the thin finish. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can be used live if you don't mind the feedback. It stays in tune even under the hardest strumming and I doubt any of the electronics would mess up. You just have to treat like a baby unless you want to knock off half the finish. Another odd thing to me is the output jack cables seem to slip out even the slightest tug and it comes right out. // 7

Overall Impression: I wanted this guitar to have a different tone my other guitar which is a Jackson DXMG with SD blackouts this guitar is the complete opposite from it. Which was the whole reason I liked it, I actually like the feedback but it can be pain at times. I've been playing for about three years now and I wanted a good cheap second guitar. My favorite thing about this guitar was it look and cleans. When you add distortion it has a very raw sound that some may not like. If you want a metal guitar you won't find it here unless you get some pickups. The finish looks great but chips way too easily its like glass. I doubt anyone would steal it since its a Squire which many bash yet I think it was an awesome guitar. I would hope they make the finish thicker and tighten the controls. I think if your looking for a cheap second guitar or maybe you first you can't go wrong hear its not expensive and plays well with a pretty good sound, if you can for cheap go for it. // 9

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: WelcomeNormal, on may 03, 2011

Purchased from: mg

Features: I got a this guitar with black finish and white pickguard. This guitar has 21 maple necked frets. Body is made of alder. It has 3 way Switch and 2 knobs. The pickup of this guitar is simply amazing for its price. Mine was made in India. The body is laminated and the body style is a Standard tele but slightly shorter. // 10

Sound: I love this guitar since I bought it, it has nice bluesy sound to it. The amp I'm using with it is the Roland Cube 60, witch is a really nice amp. Some time back, I was in search for a low-action, fast-neck guitar that could both twang and growl. On top of the need for such a beast, I had a very small amount of cash with which to work. Since I was lucky enough to have a double-humbucking guitar at the time, I bought this guitar and loved the sound, far more better than humbuckers. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My finish was the usualblack with white pickquard. I think this guitar don't have any flaws. The setup of this guitar is amazing, no problems with me.The neck is a delightful satin-finish flat-ish "c"-ish shape hard maple two-piecer. The frets are finished surprisingly well, with only a few end-burrs, and no inconsistency in fretwire height or finish. The frets could have been polished a little nicer but you can do that yourself pretty easily with the right polishing paper/cloth. The scale is just right medium. There are no buzzy frets on the example I purchased. The string height is very low, but only exhibits a little buzz the buzz does not carry out into the sound through the pickups (only acoustically). I decided to leave the string height as-is and replaced the factory strings (.09 Supers) with Stainless 3350s. The neck is really quick and the strings play out like HOT butter! The only drawback is that the neck is a little thin for me (others may find it to be great, but I like to get a grip on my guitar necks). The weight and balance of the guitar as a whole is excellent. It's not overly neck-light (as are some Squier instruments), and the feel of the instrument's construction is solid. The instrument is not as light as an Ash Tele, but won't cramp your style in hours of spankin' the fretboard plank. The hardware was finished flawlessly, and the electronics are clean enough. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have this guitar for 3 years now, and it still impresses me. The neck feels so good and smooth. I totally can depend on it, I used this guitar to did gigs with my band and stuff.I generally like Fenders, but my budget was really tight this time around. Even the very modestly-priced $399 Mexican-made Fender Tele was way out of reach this time around. That said, I was REALLY blown away by the quality, finish, playability and sound of this $169 Tele! If I closed my eyes and picked up the Fender and the Squier in succession, I would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The sound is better in the Fender, but not in terms of leaps and bounds. The neck and the pickups of the Fender are better (realistically), but the playability of the Squier is fantastic! // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, recently I bought a Epiphone Nightfall Les Paul, but I still liked this more than that. I love the neck, the style and the sound. The durability of this guitar is amazing. This is an excellently-designed instrument. It has the bits needed for daily use and for recording alike. The finish on the body is even and consistent. The neck finish is without remark, and the tuners are remarkably good for this price range... Overall, Telecasters are simple and genius at the same time. // 10

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: UG_TELEFREAK, on may 23, 2011

Purchased from: Amazon

Features: It plays beautifuly. Excelleny buy. I've this guitar for 3 months now. I was thinking about replacing the pups. But now I've decided to keep the stock pups. Yes, it's a little noisy, but they're not noiser than other Vintage single coils. I had also borrowed some Fender noiseless pups to try. But the sound is too sterile for my taste. With noise-gate running. This guitar records beautifully. I play mostly original bluesy and jazzy music. I do not use any effects, other than a little reverb on the amps, or try to sounds like somebody else (I know I will never sounds like Albert King, Jimi Hendrix, Albert Collins, or Peter Green, no matter how hard I try. So... I just try to sound like myself :)). I use it with an old Fender Bassman. A Vox AC-15, a Vox Patherfinder 15R, and a Behringer Ultrabass 300. It sounds beautiful with all these amps. The body is a tele with alder wood, solid top and black finish. 21 jumbo frets feel really nice. // 10

Sound: It's a Tele. Teles are built to last. It's beautifully me. Has all the Standard Tele's tones and vibes. Fits and finishes are very nice. Better than some real Fender Standard Teles that I've played in local shops. Action and intonation are just right-on. Except I had to re-intonated, and readjusted it again, after I restrunged it with D'Addario EXL-120+. A step that I do when I Switch gauge on the strings on all the guitars that I own. The original Fender strings sux. I also raised the action for slide works. I play about 2 to 3 hours daily. It stays in tune well. Only have to tune it once a week or so. The single coils are perfect for my blues rock style. I also play some chords which sound nice on the single coil. It has a rich sound on my vox, very nice on distortion and even on extreme pedals. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is set up very well suitable for fast slow action. The pickups are adjusted like a normal tele would, very nice and full of history. The Bridge is amazing, I wish it had a whammy but it's still nice without it. The guitar had no flaws and I had this guitar for 3 years now. Finish was like a normal Standard tele. I think this guitar is one of the best guitars in the world. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I really loved the look of this guitar when I saw it in the store. But every one knows that you can't judge a book by its cover, so, I borrowed a cable from one of the friendly and helpful sales people at the Fair Lakes Best Buy and hooked into an amplifier and gave a whirl. I was delighted to find that this guitar had a great tone and sounded very tele. I tried a Fender Mexican Telecaster for comparison, and the both guitars had great tone. But at about half the price I ultimately decided on the Squier. It is a really great value for the money you spend. Hardware lasts for 3 years already no problems, I can tottaly depend on it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an excellently-designed instrument. It has the bits needed for daily use and for recording alike. The finish on the body is even and consistent. The neck finish is without remark, and the tuners are remarkably good for this price range... Overall, Telecasters are simple and genius at the same time. I would buy this guitar again if it was lost. I would compare it to Fender 50' teles. I wish it had a hum canceller but, overall nice guitar. // 10

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: voxman123, on may 07, 2012

Purchased from: PMT Bristol

Features: This amazing guitar was originally bought as a spare guitar to take to school and get smashed up in the storage cupboard. This alder bodied, 24 fret Telecaster is extremely good for the money and feels like a proper Telecaster, it has 2 single coil pickups and a 3-way toggle switch and a volume and tone knob. The pickups are very good for the price and can get that proper tele twang if used properly. The neck pickup has a great bluesy sound and the bridge has a really nice trebly feel to it which is unique to the Telecaster. The tuners are very good as they stay in tune really well but can go out if used for a long time. // 10

Sound: I mainly play Jam songs and Muse songs and this guitar fits it perfectly, the pickups can be noisy at times but it's not that noticeable unless you have interference near the guitar (phones etc.) I am using it with a Vox Valvetronix VT20+ and a Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker Pedal. I use some of the effects on the amp such as Tube OD (tube screamer) and chorus. I would recommend using this guitar on both pickups with the volume and tone all the way up and have it on a clean sound to get the best sound out of it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well set up at the factory and I had no problems with the truss rod or action. The volume knob is very jumpy and does not have a smooth gradual volume range which hinders techniques such as violining. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing with no problems at all. It is built like a tank and can withstand being stepped on no problem (N.B Not been tried yet) I can definitely depend on it, the hardware will last for a long time and the strap buttons hold the strap on really well. The finish is good enough and should not come off with regular use, but then again, natural relicing does look cool. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is the best guitar I have ever bought and will last me for many years. It is hard to point out any problems with it and if problems did occur they could be easily repaired due to the large amount of Telecaster parts available on the Internet. I am considering installing a Bigsby Tremolo System onto the guitar to add some variety to my playing. I recommend this guitar to anyone, beginner or advanced. Keep Rocking! // 10

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2012

Price paid: € 162

Purchased from: Argos

Features: - Made in China - 21 Fret Maple Neck - Alder Body - "Arctic White" finish (it's really more of a cream or light yellow colour) - Standard singlecut Tele body - One Volume knob, one tone knob, 3-way switch. This guitar was bought new and is perfectly made to a Fender standard, everything works and it sounds as it should. No complaints here. // 9

Sound: I alternate between rhythm and lead in my band, who generally play garage rock covers along the lines of The Strokes and The Black Keys. Up til now I've generally played cheap Stratocaster copies, but this beats them in all areas. The Squier mimicks the Fender sound excellently, this guitar makes a very versatile sound, and I can just as easily play a Radiohead cover as a White Stripes one. It's got a much better sound than my other guitarist's Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and tends to be louder as well. I'm running it through a Roland Cube amp, and it sounds bada-s when fed through the various distortions. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything is present and correct. However, when I buy a guitar that's said to be Arctic White I'm sort of expecting a white guitar rather then a yellowy one. It still looks pretty though, and I've been informed this feature is common feature on Squier guitars, so I suppose it isn't a problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will absolutely withstand live playing. In this area it's very good value for money. You just might fool people into thinking you have an actual legitimate telecaster. You can't be too careful though, I'd recommend a backup. In fact, if you're a professional musician, this guitar will make an ideal backup. Everything works, as said previously. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing on cheap Strats since I was 12, and have finally budgeted enough to get this. I'm really happy with it - it's possibly the best value for money on a guitar I've ever had, and is the favorite of my guitars at the moment (I also have an ION IGP04A in sunburst and an SX FST62 in white). I chose a Telecaster because some of my personal heroes - Jonny Greenwood, Russell Lissack etc. Play it. I would not recommend the arctic white finish on this guitar, the butterscotch blonde is better. However, it has that great Tele sound and I'm still really pleased with it. I couldn't ask for anything more. // 9

Affinity Telecaster Reviewed by: JBTheLefty, on july 23, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Features: Some specs I can see from holding it: - Crafted in China (Not sure what year) - Maple neck/fretboard - 21 frets - Alder Body - Die cast tuners - Adjustable Bridge - 1 Volume Knob - 1 Tone Knob - Ceramic Pickups - 3 way selector switch The model I purchased was a left handed model with a butterscotch finish. I got it in November 2011. I bought this guitar as my second electric, and it's main purpose was to give me a secondary guitar for jazz band and for other stuff. It's the definition of a beginner guitar. // 8

Sound: First, let me start off by saying what strings I use: I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46. The facotry strings were nice, but they seemed a little too thin for me, but I kept them on for a month. The pickups are okay-ish. The bridge pickup has that distinct Tele sound to it, which is really twangy. I don't use the middle setting much, but it sounds okay. The neck pickup is pretty warm. My complaints are that both pickups are pretty weak, and that the tone knob is more of a switch for either bright or muffled. I usually have to turn my amp to at least three to hear it, and this makes it hard to switch out from guitar to guitar during performances. They also can get pretty noisy. I play through a few Behringer pedals (a Heavy Distortion, Tube Amp Modeler, Ultra Chorus, Digital Delay) and I also use a Crybaby Wah pedal. My amps are a Peavey NanoValve and a Crate GLX65 Solid State. I use this guitar in one of two tunings: Standard and Open D. I use it for slide guitar if I ever feel like using some electric slide. In the end, I can say that the sound is okay for a beginner guitar, but if you are a serious player, I suggest changing them. I play different styles, mainly rock and grunge, and this guitar is more of a rock guitar. I plan on replacing the pickups with a set of Seymour Duncan Hotrails for Telecasters when I get a job and get the money. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, I quickly opened it up and played it. It felt pretty comfortable to me, the neck isn't too fat. The body is also pretty thin compared to other Telecaster bodies. Unlike Standard Telecasters, this guitar does not have a string thru body, it goes through the bridge. The action was pretty decent out of the box, I really haven't messed with it since I got it. The guitar as a whole looks really nice, there's some grain in the finish, as well as a little on the fretboard (at least on mine). To complain a little though, the nut is plastic, which I don't really like. Also, the jack cover is plastic, and mine is cracked down the middle completely. The frets have worn down around the 9th and 10th fret since I've had it, which can make bends kind of nasty. Also, the pickup selector is bent upwards. It came like that, I suppose it may have been a shipping incident or something. I don't mind it being bent, I think it's kind of cool. Otherwise, the guitar looks pretty nice still. There are a few knocks in the finish around the jack and the cutaway, but I kind of have a tendency to throw it around when I take it around. I carry it in a gig bag. Overall, it isnt too bad. The finish is beautiful, it calls back to the older models. If you have a choice, get the Butterscoth Blonde. Personally, I would have gone with black and built the whole thing as a fully black guitar, but lefties get the short end of the stick. I'm happy with the finish though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand live playing? I've played with it for school a few times, and I didn't have many problems with it. Volume was the biggest problem for me. The hardware could use some changing, but it should last. The strap buttons are pretty solid, they shouldn't fall out. This is my backup now, I use an Epiphone Les Paul Custom for the most part now. But if I want a single coil sound on something, I'll use this guitar. It's worn down a little, but not enough for me to leave it behind. You shouldn't have to worry about it failing you if you want a cheap guitar for throwing around or for a quick buy. // 8

Overall Impression: In the end, I can say that I like this guitar. The finish is nice, and it's held its Shine over the past few months. I've been playing for around two years now, and I'm glad that I used this guitar to work with before going to other models. If stolen, I'd probably move on to getting a black MIM Tele, but if I didn't have the money for that, I'd get another one of these. I love the look of it, but I hate how quiet the pickups are. My favorite feature is easily the finish. Plus the chrome doesn't look too bad with it either. No matter what style music you play, this guitar should fit it. I wish it had some nicer pickups, but once I start working, I'll probably start reconstruction on this guitar and put some Hotrails in it. Final words: If you need a throw around guitar or if you're a beginner looking for a second guitar for little money, I'd go with this one. You shouldn't be disappointed. // 8

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Standard Strat 7.5 Electric Guitars 08/25/2014