Avril Lavigne Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 08/26/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Avril Lavigne Telecaster
Avril Lavigne Telecaster guitar features the chart-topping Grammy nominee's distinctive star logo inlayed at the fifth fret, with a checkerboard pickguard and Lavigne's signature on the headstock.
 7.1
 9.4
 4.7
review (1) pictures (3) 92 comments vote for this gear:
Avril Lavigne Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 26, 2008

Price paid: C$ 219.99

Purchased from: Sherwood Music

Features: Indonisia made with 22 medium jumbo (I beleive) frets. Rosewood finger board on a maple neck with a basewood body. It' got a nice black finish with a white and black checkered pickgaurd and the standard tele body. It's a string through body bridgge more of a mix between a start and a tele bridge. It's got just a volume control and a 3-way selector. From first looks it looks to have just one humbucker however this is the main reason I bought this guitar it's actualy two single coils described as a dual-coil humbucking pickup so basicaly position one is bridge single coil and position 2 is both and position 3 is the single coil closer to the neck. It's got the Standard Squire hardware from there on though. Although some neat things there's only a star inley on the 5th fret with inleys ontop of the fretboard, a gold squire logo avrils signature on the headstock. However I did not buy this because it's Avril's guitar that's the last reason I'd buy it I bought it because the sound, action and looks not to mention price and quality are mind blowing. // 9

Sound: The sound is fenominal, this guitar sounds amazing no matter what pickup(s) your using. I feel it to be a highbrid of a tele sound although you don't get much of the twangy tele sound but it still sounds bright mixed with a hss Strat or a bullets sound, and you can get a really deep rich tone with a nice brightness to it, or just the brightness, or more of the deeper tone. Everything I've played on this guitar it has managed to sound great at. Punk, metal (I couldn't give it enough distortion it sounds clear with 2 distortions going), rock, hard rock, clasic rock, blues, whatever you want. It has a bit of hum when using a single coil but that's normal and expected. The tonal variety isn't a huge range but is in and of itself because it manages to sound bright like a tele does but can still have a nice thick rich tone, which sounds unbeleivable clean, and distorted no matter what pickup you use. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up just how I liked it, ahven't changed the factory settings on any of my 3 squires (I own a bullet special strat, and a p-bass as well). The action is great, this is a guitar you can really let go on, I had more fun on this guitar then any I tested in two cities. However there's no inleys on the front of the fingerboard and never owning a Tele means inisialy it's a bit ahrder to play but when you get used to it or when you sit down it's amazing from when you first pick it up. The finish and guitar was flawless, not a single ding on it even from beign a test model but it's not a very desired guitar because of Who backs it. The pickups are extreamly close to the strings, closer then on any guitar I've ever seen but this hasn't proved to be a problem and might help with the brighter tone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I changed the strap buttons with strap locks because you can't trust Fender strap buttons they're really horid when your strap ages however besides that I would defenitly use this at a concert. I don't know why people say Squire's are terible I happen to find the quality extreamly good for the price, I find no difference in a Fender and a Squrie I even prefer Squires over Mexican (Mexican is the key word) Fenders because they generaly have hotter pickups. This guitar I know will last however, I use a variety of guitars anyways and would bring all 5 of them giging if I could however for just a quick set I would bring just this one. // 10

Overall Impression: I play whatever I feel like playing, my bands got some ska songs, some grunge, some punky-alternative stuff, I play everything from Avenged Sevenfold to Lamb Of God to Billy Talent to Led Zepplin to AC/DC to My Chem to Ludo, I think you get the point. I've been playing nearly 5 years and if this guitar were stolen I would be extreamly angry. Would I buy another though? maybe, I think I might get a custom built Fender Tele for my next one though because I like original guitars. I love it's pickups being able to choose between single coils and humbuckers was my main feature I looked for and this guitar was the cheapest I played and had it. I love it's looks, I love everything about it. I don't necesarily hate that it's an Avril Lavigne signature but being a guy I don't really like it however laugh all you want but when I start playing it blows peoples minds all the time. I compared this guitar to every Epiphone Les Paul in the tri-city, oh and every Ibanez, and also Mexican Fenders, along with others. I came to the conclusion Epiphones are the most god awful guitars on earth and Ibanez's are great for metal but I still liked the Tele more for them. I do wish it had a neck pickup the same as it's bridge one or a maple neck just to brighten it up a bit. However I wouldn't use the neck humbucker and it still sounds great. // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Bullet HS Telecaster 7.7 Electric Guitars 03/26/2014