Bullet Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 12/05/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Bullet
Slightly slimmer laminated body, 21-fret Maple neck. Rosewood fingerboard. Chrome covered tuners. 3 single-coil pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.3
 Features: 6.9
 6.9
 7.5
 6.3
reviews (15) pictures (3) 42 comments vote for this gear:
Bullet Reviewed by: Sandman., on july 18, 2006

Features: This is a 2000 Squire Bullet crafted in China. I has a 21 medium jumbo fret maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. It features a non-tremelo HardTail six-saddle bridge with five way switching and three single coil pickups, two tone controls and one volume(which isn't very effective). I also got a rectangle hard CB case, locking strap, lead, 15 watt Drive CD 100 amplifier and tuner. It has pearloid dot inlays and the body is lamenated hardwood, red colour and polyurethane finish with white ply scratchplate. // 8

Sound: The sound is good for clean play (sounds better without distortion, depending on what amp you have though) but will sound OK for modern rock. Do not play hard rock or metal with this guitar as it sounds disgusting. Has good melody sound and accompniment but I wouldn't play in concert, just practice. Make sure you play with tone on full, pickup on the second setting (first two closest to the neck) and sound all the way up as is not very effective anyway, but if playing with distortion turn the tone down a bit cos it sounds twangy otherwise. Sounds good with palm mute. My harmonics keep going out but I fixed that but I don't know if all bullets do that so I can't say anything on that. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up pretty good at the factory but the pickups were shocking. The strings were great (Fender Super 250L, Nickel Plated Steel). Apart from that everything else was great and doesn't need any fiddling around with. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitly last a while (I've had mine for 4 years) and the hardware generally doesn't wear out from age. Nothing is going to snap off this beauty and the finish doesn't wear but the paint chips easily. The scratchplate shouldn't need replacing unless you completely annihilate your guitar with 2mm picks. I would not use it live. // 9

Overall Impression: I generally play rock, modern rock, solos or clean guitar and it seems to suit me fine. I'll probibly buy another electric soon, but I'm fine with this one at the moment. I've been going for 5 years now and have two other guitars (acoustic and electric-acoustic), Dr Rhythm drumkit, casio keyboard and 15 watt Drive cd 100 amp. If it were stolen (I wouldn't lose it) the I would probibly buy a different guitar and get a feel for that instead. I love the way it slides and it gives an OK vibrato depending on how good you are, and if you lower the strings a bit it feels really great. Real great guitar for beginners or students, or even for just a good old jam in your garage. // 9

Bullet Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2004

Features: Specifications: Body: Laminated Hardwood Neck: Maple, C-Shape, (Polyurethane Finish) Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5 Radius (241 mm) No. Of Frets: 21 Medium Jumbo Scale Length: 25.5 (648 mm) Width At Nut: 1.650 (42 mm) Hardware: Chrome Machine: Heads Covered Tuners Bridge: Hard-tail 6-Saddle Bridge Pickguard: 1-Ply White Pickups: 3 Single-Coil Pickups Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup Position 3. Middle Pickup Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup Position 5. Neck Pickup Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Middle Pickup) Unique Features: Large '60s Style Headstock, White Plastic Parts, Black Silkscreen Logo, Dot Position Inlays // 8

Sound: This is probably the coolest guitar for a beginnner. I've been playing for a few months now, and I've messed with a few guitars. But, I really like this one. I usually don't play it with pedals (cuz i don't have any yet) but I run it with a Crate amp w/overdrive channel and it works very well. I play everything from Taking Back Sunday to SOTY to All-American Rejects. It buzzes every so often, but it has a wide variety of sound. A+. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, it's a good guitar but slightly unreliable. The input cable holder thingy-thing was kinda loose, and eventually the bit that held it in place fell off, and was lost. But, other than the screwed up cable holder thing, it's pretty good. That cable thing had me really upset, though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As far as the reliability goes, its very good. I've played at school, for friends, with my band. I play this thing every day and it still looks and feels new every time I play it. If I had to, I would use it as the only guitar at a gig. If I had a backup, though, I would take it. (just cuz I like variety.) It's pretty much dependable, and it feels like it's gonna last for another 5 years or so. // 10

Overall Impression: Summary: Get it. If you're a newbie at the electric, I'd recommend it. There are a lot of pros and cons with this particular one, but its more pro than con. I really love the pickup selector; its probably my favorite feature of this guitar. Worst feature: definitely the cable holder. You may eventually have to get it repaired. It plays from Trapt to the Strokes to Yellowcard (well..not as good as YC but extremely close.) Buy this if you like versatility and great playing action. // 10

Bullet Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2005

Sound: I use it through this cheap 10 watt amp (it is some "Esteban" brand or something, I dunno) the guitar makes a lot of noise on basically all settings. I just out the pickup selector on the 5th option and the tone knobs to zero and it seems to go mostly away. Not the biggest range of sound ever, the pickup selector does have some sweet effects on the tone and style of the output if you ask me, but you have to deal with a lot of buzzing if you wanna use it. But then again I use that crappy practice amp and no pedals or anything. But it's not horrible don't get me wrong, I dig it for just sitting around the house playing. Giving it an average score. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was just the way I like it when I bought it. Pretty low, I can touch the fingerboard when I play very easily. Everything is working as well as I would excpect it to considering it is cheap and well, a Squier. The finish was perfect when I got it (mine's black) and omg it ain't going anywhere anytime soon. I've had it hit walls and chairs and the ground, some minor scratches and stuff but it's like a tank I'm telling you. // 8

Overall Impression: I play some old Green Day stuff (back when Billy used to stickered Strat, and didn't use fancy Les Pauls and remaster his CD's) and it works pretty good. Not really good for hard stuff, the sound is a little trebely for it, but I like it. As I said it isnt some Fender American Fat Strat with a humbucker and great hardware, but for the price it is very good and it is great to learn on. So if you're looking for an ok first guitar, you might want to check some other options first, but don't write this one off. If it we're lost or stolen I don't think I'd buy another one, just because I'd like to buy a Fat Strat or something higher quality. Don't get me wrong it's a good guitar and I love it but id like to get something a little meatier. // 8

Bullet Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2009

Price paid: C$ 180

Purchased from: san Fran Pawnbrokers

Features: Made in the early 1980's in Japan, this 21 fret maple neck and fret board, poplar bodied Strat style guitar features a tele style head stock with what is refered to as a slab body. Meaning that a Standard Strat guitar has an angled cut at the players picking arm for comfort, the siver Bullet is missing that feature. Originally this guitar came in I believe just two colors black and red, and only with a Vintage Fender style tremelo. Volume, Tone, 5-way selector and pickguard mounted jack. Three pickups all single coils no included accessories. Sounds like a cheap guitar and it was. Squire totally scrimped on the features and boycotted any option other than OOOh an option paint job. What they did'nt scrimp on was materials and tone. this is a super pretty guitar - Tonally. Just not a very sexy guitar. // 4

Sound: I play originals and I am influenced by Bends era Radiohead, The Cure, The Verve, Tom Petty, Oasis, and AC/DC. This guitar is now stuffed with Evans Eliminators. The Squire has a really nice bell like tone. Sounds blossom out of it. Low noise thanks to the pickups. variety? well I have other guitars for other sounds I try not to move this guitar out of it's natural territory. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the factory? does not apply. I got this used but after a setup from a local pro and a good fret dressing the action is excellent. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Oh yeah it's 25 years old it can take a Live show or two. Ugly. It's not versatile enough to use on a gig sans backup. Sturdy Sturdy Guitars. The thing is already ugly though I'm not too stressed about it. It can take the abuse because it's already taken the abuse. // 8

Overall Impression: Great for pretty arpegiatted parts, I've been playin for twenty years. I own a lot of other guitars. 1983 Ibanez artist, 1999 Hamer Vanguard, no name setneck tele thinline Washburn d10 Scedl (unsure of year), 1980 Yamaha rosewood and spruce Dreadnought, 2008 Jay Turser Jumbo elctric Acoustic, Ibanez electro Nylon Strung Classical, 2001 Ovation 1868 Elite. Really I just like the tone and easy playability, it would be hard to find and it's started to appreciate in value but yes I would totally replace this. Hate the lame ass aesthetics. I never directly compared it to other guitars I bought it because I fell in love with it. // 8

Bullet Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 22, 2004

Features: The Bullet features a slightly slimmer laminated body, a 21-fret Maple neck with a Rosewood fingerboard and chrome covered tuners. Its classically-styled features include three single-coil pickups, a non-tremolo HardTail bridge and five-way switching. basically, picture a Strat without the tremolo hole. // 8

Sound: I love the sound on my Fender Frontman 15G. there's some buzzing when I have distortion turned up all the way and volume on my guitar turned up all the way. It goes away if you use the 2nd and 4th Switch and you turn the 2nd tune knob all the way down. And I have a 12' monster cable that makes a big difference compared to my friend's cable. Using different combinations of switches and knobs on my small amp I can get any sound I desire. I often plug it into the audio card on my computer and use autowah and other effects. It's sounds great to me. I have other guitars but I've never played a les paul before, so I can't compare it to that. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm comfortable with it. It feels about 100X better than my crucianelli. I adjusted the pickups right after I got it. I took the whole thing apart one time and it looks sorta weird inside. Unlike the picture I've seen of other open guitars. It was hella hard to put back together. The finish is good and pretty thick but my brother spilt some superglue on it so it got kinda messed up. I'm probly going to make a new body for it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, let me put it this way, I've been playing this guitar for 7 months and I've never broken a string. I've seen my friends go through stings pretty fast but I think it's kinda weird that mine have never broken. I'd change them just so they'de feel knew if I didn't think they were good luck. Everything works perfect, is wired correctly and moves easily. The input connector washer thing becomes loose regularly but I don't mind tightening it every once and a while. Strap buttons are solid and work good with my Bobby Lee no-scratch guitar strap (can't seem to find the company anywhere). I would use this guitar over any of my friends guitars in a gig unless it couldn't achieve the proper sound I was looking for. // 8

Overall Impression: It's good for blues, rock. Pretty much anything if you have the right amp and pedal setup. It's just a cheap starter guitar but it's a hella good bang for your buck. That's probably why guitar center was filled with them. I could have bought a used red Strat for the same price if I would have waited two more days. But I don't mind not having a tremolo. It just un tunes your guitar anyway. This guitar would suck without the pickup selector. And I wish that little nut thing would stay tight. When it sits against my wall it calls my name. I see it reflecting its environment, forcing me to play it. // 10

Bullet Reviewed by: cobehead4-8-94, on may 05, 2004

Features: there are exactly 21 frets on the Fender Squire Bullet. If you want a really nice sounding guitar for your first and for cheap this would be the ideal one to get. Well that is at least if you like Fenders. It has one 10-volume knob and 2 10-tone knobs. It doesnt come with anything but if you ask usually they might throw in a strap and a few picks. // 8

Sound: Well im using a 30 watt Fender amp $250.00 I believe. Well this guitar suits a beginner style. Now i have a Telecaster so that suits my style even more. The sound is awesome! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Bullet doesnt have any flaws to it. The guitar was set up very very well at the factory. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Im not to sure if the guitar will withstand live playing but then again i didnt smash it around a whole lot, if you have strap locks it should do just fine. I'm not to sure if i'd use it on a gig without a backup though because I never played a gig with it. // 8

Overall Impression: Punk/alt, the guitar is a good match for the most part. I've been playing for about two years now. I own this baby an Olympia (acoustic) and i own a burst Telecaster. The only thing i wish this guitar had were some customized knobs and an anarchy pick guard. // 8

Bullet Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 18, 2004

Features: Made in Indonesia (like all Squiers I think).21 frets. 5 way selector, two tone, and one volume. 3 singles pickup configuration. Definately Strat body style. // 6

Sound: The sound isn't bad, you need some nice lovely distortion to make it fit my style but what guitar wouldnt need that? It's noisy on the centre and bridge pickup sets though, so I don't like that. Overall, for a guitar this cheap, I'd say its not bad sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little too crappy for me so I lowered it but I do a lot of bends/hammerons that sorta stuff for solos, and I like to actually have my fingers touch the fretboard when I play. The pickups were adjusted like perfect. A noisy pickup selector is a bad problem on this. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand live playing? Probably not, never even used it for that. Does the hardware seem like it will last? Probably. Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? It'll wear off with lots of playing, it already has. Are the strap buttons solid? No. Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup? No, I wouldn't ever use it at a live show, all I use it for is band practice and its broke on me there like so many times it sucks. // 2

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal-not the right guitar for that haha I've been playing for about 6 years, I've had this guitar for like 5 of those years. I wouldnt buy it again if it was stolen or lost I hate how I get so much noise out of the pickup selector and now I'm havin problems with the output so I get like a buzz from my amp. I would never buy a Squier again, I used to own an Squier Affinity pbass it also and had many problems not unlike this. May be it's just old but its pretty bad that I've never played a live show and its already breaking and I take care of it. // 4

Bullet Reviewed by: Cyrus-602, on july 30, 2004

Purchased from: Mansons Exeter

Features: - 21 frets - 5 way slector Switch - Basic Strat body - 3 Squier pickups - 2 tone 1 volume Switch // 6

Sound: The sound on the Bullet is ok for the price, but its hollow and tinny, it's got no body to it. I got a Marshall 15watt MG15CD amp which I got cheap with the guitar, the sound was just average. When I got my BC Rich I realised how basic the Bullet set up was. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything works pretty well but I had to re solder the pick ups a couple of months after I bought it which helped the sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never played this guitar live but there arent any problems with durability after I got my new guitar, I tested how sturdy it was against a wall and the wall came of worse, the worst you can do is scratch the paint. // 8

Overall Impression: When I started I was playing rock and some Metallica, which it coped with ok but it isnt a great guitar. For a starter guitar its quite reasonable but if youv got an extra 30 quid you could get a Pacifica or something better for your money. // 6

Bullet Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 13, 2004

Features: Last year I got a 2003 Bullet Squier. It was made somewhere in Asia, the all I know is that the fretboard was made in Taiwan. However insignificant. Well it has a laminated hardwood body, a rosewood fingerboard and a maple neck. The top is laminated. Yeah everything else is basically the same as the other reviews say. I didn't buy it in one of those fancy kit things so I just got the guitar. // 8

Sound: My music style is rock/grunge/weird-o. Anything really. It is pretty versitile (Sp?) It isn't really that great at anything but it is ok for most stuff. I just use it with a Marshall amp. No pedals or anything. Although it would sound better with a grunge pedal. It makes a lot of excess noise but it is pretty good for the price, the sound is really treble ish though. It has 5 pickups and they all make pretty good noise. I usually keep it on the 1st one but if I am feeling weird I expirement but thats rare. It all sounds ok nothing to write home about. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It was all good. Kind of out of tune, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. The strings that were on it when I bought it were awful. I didn't cange them though. I kept them on for a year (hehe but if you put a pair of Enie Ball Regular Slinky strings it perks it up real good). The finish is sticky or something the smudges are kind of hard to get off. The body is sort of soft so it dents. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It is a rip off of Fender so it would probably be ok live but people would laugh because it is a Bullet. It will last a while, none of the finish or anything has worn off, and it seems to withstand my beatings. Just kidding. It was 98 bucks and I have had it for a year now. Quite a milestone. // 8

Overall Impression: I mean it's not good for anything in particulair but it works. It's not like horrible and it's not the best. It works fine for everything I play, nothing special but definetly worth the price. This is my first guitar, it is great for beginners, if it got lost I would probably buy a more advanced guitar but if I didn't have the funding than yeah I would go for it. As far as the ratings go they are compared to an average guitar in the range of 100-300 bucks. I love the fact that it was not alot of money but I don't really love anything and I dont really hate anything either. I don't really have a favorite feature. I could probably compare it to other things made it Aisa. I well I didn't really pick it. I got it as a gift. I wish it was overall just easier to play smaller frets maybe. // 8

Bullet Reviewed by: Guitar_Maestro, on june 13, 2005

Sound: The Bullet is a pretty good guitar for playing power chords. It's also good for non-electric sounds. It is moderately quiet. It has a sort of bright sound. I dislike that it doesn't have a big range of sounds, but it's still good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: One of the strings broke almost right away. The pickups were adjusted pretty well. It had great wood quality. It didn't have many flaws and it was pretty well put together. // 8

Overall Impression: I like this guitar for what I use it for: playing around at home. I play pop-rock kind of music, and it fits it pretty well. I'd say this is a good guitar for beginners. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably buy a different guitar just because there are a lot of better guitars. Overall, it's an OK guitar. // 8

Bullet Reviewed by: claguemanx, on july 10, 2006

Purchased from: Flying pig

Features: My guitar was made in 2002 in America it was my first guitar and I have always liked the the Strat shape so I choose this. The guitar has 22 frets which are medium sized and the neck is rosewood. I don't know the wood used to make the body since I had a choice with the neck but no the body. The bridge is pretty standered like most other strats and has a 5-way selector with 3 single coil pickups. The tuners are non-locking and are Squier. The guitar cames with a strap, a lead, a spare set of strings and a rubbish elctronic tuner which later broke. // 9

Sound: Well it was my first electric guitar so back then I didn't have a style but I now play in a heavy metal band but I normaly play blues and rock outside of the band so it only really suits outside the band. The amp I use with it is a Marshall 50 DFX and a couple of effects pedals. The guitar is noisy when selected on just one pickup but it is easily sorted since I put a copper plate behind the scratch-plate since it had no sheilding. The guitar can reach tons of diffrent sounds from deep bass to hight treble and is amazing when you solo and switch from diffent pickups to get some weired and ace sounds. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar when I bought it was perfectly set up I was amazed when I use the trem the guitar never goes out of tune which normaly happens to my Fender Strat. The pickup were adjusted almost perfectly it was really only the back pickup which wasn't adjusted. The guitar only contains one flaw that the pickups are going rusty but otherwise it is perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will deffinitly withstand a live play but I wouldnt used it to many nights in a rowbut otherwise it would. The strap buttons on mine I have replced with strap locks like all my guitars since I would kick my self if it dropped and smashed. I would use it in a gig maybe with a back up but I normaly have a backup anyway even if the guitars is very reliable just incase. The guitars finish has not worn off yet and I have had it for 4 years but the hardware is some times questionable since I have had to have it completely rewired. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal in bands but outside of bands I play blues fued with rock like jimi hendrix but deffinitly not as good. I have been playing for 5 years ruthly and I own a Fender Strat, Artisan 335, Blues Rock double neck SG, Ibanze bass of some sort, a cheap acoustic and a woods steal stringed acoustic and amp wise I ahve a mashall 50 and a small Marshall 10 watt and a couple of effects pedals. There is nothing I wish I ahd asked before buying it really but if it was stolen I would try to get it back but other wise I'm never going to get another squire like it since I ahve tried a few so I would prob get a Jackson or Dean guitar. What I love about it is the thiness about the neck and the amazing sound you can get out of it. What I hate about it is how it just looks like a run of the mill guitar. I choose this one because my guitar teacher mainly reconmended. The only thing I wish it had was a flyde rose trem or locking nuts. // 9

Bullet Reviewed by: Keil Alikzandr, on december 04, 2006

Purchased from: Kent

Features: A 21-fret rosewood neck with copper fret covers with a pretty laminated blue body that virtually never scratches. The pick board is just as invincible. It has a five-way tones with a volume control that works very good sensitively while playing with a loud amp. It has two tone wheels, which work like a charm, and great pickups. The pickups are awesomely sensitive (almost a little too sensitive) and great for melody acoustics as the front guitar. (Mine) has nickel coated nylon strings (as to not warp the neck like my ghet-tar), which can be a little annoying and twangy if not tightened right. The bridge is totally adjustable to anything you like (high, low, tight, loose, etc). This is a great look for Fender fans, but I wouldn't recommend it for Heavy metal (just for the looks). From what I can find out, it only comes in one color, which is a metallic dark blue (as pictured at the top) with a pale-white pick board, and this is a drop back for those (like me) would prefer black or red. This monster is also durable as a brick wall--It can take a lot of abuse. I haven't gotten a visible scratch through it's laminate, and if you knew me, you wouldn't want me to own a guitar. I can be almost as abusive as Cobain. There is a small problem, though. The head likes to pop off sometimes if the strings are too low and tight, and you are playing some high melody, so be careful there. // 8

Sound: The pickups are amazing for this cheap little Guitar. They can pick up anything you wish them to, and with a good amp (Like a Fender 25R or something), you can make this thing do wonders. It can get a little buzz on the second bass string if you are not careful while tightening and raising the strings on the bridge, but aside from this, it fits as a great acoustic, power, harmonic, and moderate metal. This mug sounds alright distorted, if you can get a good effects pedal or a good enough amp gain. I would definitely use this in show (unless you are doing a little too heavy metal, it can't cope with that too well). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This is set up well, straight from the factory (except for the steel strings, you know those are bad for a guitar's health) and is overall with a little tuning, ready to play. The pickups are, like I said, amazing, and I wouldn't adjust them at all (except maybe raise the deep end a teeny bit, mainly because I am a bassist at heart). Everything is finely made and finished off to good Fender quality; the only hardware problem I have experienced was the amp jack washer breaking and the jack itself being pushed all the way into the guitar. The nut must have been tightened a little too tight, because with a new washer, and a looser nut, it is fine, now. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This will never break, unless you beat it to submission with the floor. 2mm picks can damage your pickups, and give a horrible noise, as well as kill your pick board. This is the most dependable guitar I have ever owned, nothing bad (except the amp jack being pushed in) has come of it. The keys are a little easy to bump and tweek yourself out of tune, but nothing major. This thing's like a brick wall, so cherish it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, it is a great guitar; one I will always use in Anarchy. It is versatile, and can play almost any music with a good effects pedal and amp. If it were stolen or lost, I would simply buy another. They are generally pretty cheap, and make a good starting and playing guitar, ranging from $60 to $200 USD. The look and feel is like a Strat, but the body is a bit more thinner and the side cut is perfect, making it really comfortable to play standing, sitting, laying, etc. I would recommend this to Satin himself. // 9

Bullet Reviewed by: adamjimenstein, on august 31, 2009

Price paid: C$ 25

Features: This guitar is an old model made in China and bought in Canada. Has 21 frets and a rosewood fingerboard. I'm picky with the fingerboard, so in my opinion this guitar is annoying to play. It's in the sytle of a regular Strat, nothing too special. Volume, 2 Tones, and a 5 way pick-up is given. Most Bullets have 3, but for some odd reason mine has 5. They guy I got it from said it was custom, but he lies a lot. // 5

Sound: I play a huge variety of music, Pink Floyd, System Of A Down, Metallica, Nirvana, Iron Maiden, and the Beatles are just a few examples. This guitar can handle most of the songs I play with some effectiveness. But the guitar can handle a power chord which uses 4 strings or more. It can handle metal or hard rock sytles okay, but it is downright awful to play punk songs on. Old punk bands which use a lot of chords sound the worst. I use a basic amp with little effects other than distortion. This guitar is annoying. The sounds isn't rich and the guitar is noisy. It will hum after a minute or two without touching it. Then again, some of this may be because of the guitar's wear, it is years old and apparently has been dropped down a flight of stairs. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well set up when I got it. Pick-ups are okay, strings are fine. Only the 1st string is a problem. It was put on very poorly, so after a month or two it snapped off. But then again, I got it used. Otherwise the guitar was built well. Newer versions come with a basic amp and cable, for about 130 CAD, and that is a good deal. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand near anything. Like I said, it has been dropped down the stairs and been smashed accidently on walls and doors. But it still sounds okay. I'm a new guitarist, so I don't play live, so I have no say on that. The strap buttons aren't the best, the guitar has a tendancy to slip off. This guitar doesn't sound too good even if you buy it new, but it will last. Almost any part can be fixed or bought. // 7

Overall Impression: I'm just starting guitar, and have been playing for about 4 or 5 months. My first guitar was a really bad Acoustic, so even if this guitar is pretty bad it was an upgrade. For beginners, this guitar is good. But you'll get bored of it quick. After a year, max, you'll want a new one. In Canada, for around, 50 bucks more you can get a better Squire model. The sound of the guitar bothers me the most. This wasn't a big investment for me, and I'm just waiting for this thing to break so I can buy a new guitar. // 5

Bullet Reviewed by: Philly C, on june 04, 2010

Features: I think I got it in '04 maybe late '03. It is a great beginner instrument, I no longer have it, I gave it to my brother when I got serious about music and bought a Jackson. Straight up Dark Blue color with a white pick guard, always had a little buzz on the "D" string. It is a tough instrument for sure. As I got older, and started playing music more and actually putting an effort towards learning I began to find that the tone wasn't for me. I was going through a phase of metal worshipping. Probably how I wound up choosing Jackson as the brand of my future guitar. It has what I believe was a maple neck topped with a rosewood fretboard, great rosewood too, nice and dark in color. Straight ahead Dot inlays, nothing fancy, with 21 little fretts. The neck was comfortable to hold in my hand, but my hands are bigger than average, really long bony fingers. So playing it, as a beginner, was next to impossible. Compared to the Jackson with its neck wide enough to land a jumbo jet between the strings. It had the traditional 3 single pups and the 5 way selector switch. And of course passive electronics. There were issues with the jack after not too long, I never could figure out the problem for sure. But I didn't know what I was looking at. // 7

Sound: Well at the time my style was heavy heavy heavy. I was going for a metal rhythm guitar chunky sound. I never could use this guitar, I always needed to use my dad's SG or his personal Charvel. The tone never struck me as impressive and I couldnt get excited about it. I wanted a new guitar for a while. Don't get me wrong, I wish I took advantage of this thing more when I was younger. It is a sweet electric for the money and I still kinda wish I hung onto it for the single coild Pups. I have two guitars now a Fender Jag HH with the two dragster 'buckers, and I have my Jackson DK2M with twin Duncan 'buckers. I'm kinda thinking about making my next guitar a tele or maybe an ibanez, something with singles. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Also, like I said, the action, close to the nut, difficult to use, and set up at the factory the D string buzzed. But the finish... In 5-6 years of abuse and neglect I only chipped one little piece of paint from the upper cutaway. 0 oxidization and its built like a brick wall. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Live? Hell to the NO practice? Learning? Yes yes YES maybe as a backup guitar to your Strat if you are in a tight place. Structurally its tough as nails though. // 10

Overall Impression: I wish it had more than a 21 fret neck. // 8

Bullet Reviewed by: REDisturbed157, on december 05, 2011

Purchased from: A classmate on my school's varsity football team

Features: The instrument was made in Indonesia. The maple neck sports a rosewood fretboard with 21 frets. The body style is a Strat. The bridge is a six saddle. There are 2 tone knobs, 1 volume knob, and a 5 way selector switch. There are 3 single coil pickups/ The tuners are chrome and non-locking but very shiny. I bought the instrument with a 28 watt Squier sidekick amp, an amp cord and a navy blue Levi's strap. The body of the guitar looks very nice and so do the tuners. // 5

Sound: The instrument does not fit my music style. I've run it with a lot of different effects and amp models. It only works well on the clean channel or an acoustic modeler. The Drive doesn't sound good at all. The sound is only good if you are a jazz, blues, or acoustic rhythm guitarist who can do well without using professional equipment. If you like to play heavy metal, you are looking at the wrong instrument. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action sucks. The guitar was cheap. It is only for an absolute beginning guitarist. The bridge tension is too low which means I can't shred and I almost jammed a finger trying to do an extreme bend and the sustain sucks. I've installed some Baritone strings from GHS and the guitar doesn't do well with them. In fact, the low E snapped a bridge saddle. I ended up getting a new set (which cost me 20 bucks). The finish was amazing though. One of the nicest I've ever seen. // 3

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons work well. The hardware lasts but doesn't perform well. The bridge doesn't stand up to Baritone strings. It's not good for a gig but still good for a beginner's playing. The finish will last. You cannot use it in a gig because it is a guitar that absolute beginners learn to play/practice on. // 5

Overall Impression: This is the only electric I've owned in my guitar career and I haven't seen worse... Yet. Out of the 17-18 months I've been playing, I've used this instrument for 7 months. I wish I had known that the instrument didn't have the capabilities of the professional gear. The only thing that was a true keeper about the instrument was the finish that it had. The pickups and electronics were horrible and didn't sound professional. The neck/bridge tension wasn't good for my playing level. I chose this because it was a cheap way to start out my guitar career on the electric. If I lost this product I would definitely get another instrument. // 6

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster Custom 9.6 Electric Guitars 08/20/2014