California Telecaster Review

6.6
reviews (3) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
California Telecaster Reviewed by: croc76, on october 18, 2006

Purchased from: Rajen Music

Features: The California Squire Tele was made in 2004. It has a rosewood fretboard and has a agathis body that doesn't sound too bad. The neck has a good feel and is easy to play anything on ranging from rythm to slide and lead it's also good to tap songs on like thunderstruck. The fretboard is even and fine. The finger board might be slightly dry along the upper part of the neck (that's how mine came) but it's easily fixed with lemon oil. The finish is a normal transparent finish that is not too thick. The body style is obviously a Telecaster style type body and bridge type. It has a normal 2 single coils on it with black covers without any pole peice exsposure. It has a 3 way Switch for the coils also one tone control knob and volume knob. All the parts except the body and the neck and pickups are chrome plated. The tuners are standard Tele tuners (not Vintage ones). It comes with a 5 year warranty. // 6

Sound: It gives the legendary tele twang. Play mostly hendrix and music by most Tele players. I used a no name 25 watt amp and this axe still sounds great! The Tele isn't good for distortion or hard rock no matter what fx pedal you get it's mostly for blues and rock and stuff like Pink Floyd and The Beatles. There is not much buzzing on this guitar which makes it so good. It has a very bright twang to it and is great to get that Vintage tone. This guitar is good for bending too but when you get it there is a lot of fret buzz on the e and a strings but make sure to get everything setup when you buy it (truss-rod, pickup height, fret buzz, machine buzz). It should be right if you do that. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The wood was alright. Nearly everything was well except the fret buzz. This guitar is an almost heavy duty guitar and can surbive pretty much anything. The tone control was a bit lifted off though and it still is. I think the build control is pretty crap though (but it was made in china by low paid sweatshop workers). I'm not bagging China but Squire does have bad quality control some Squire Teles are crap but some turn out good it varies a lot even if it's the same series. The fretboard was a bit dry though but nothing that can't be fixed. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can with stand pretty much anything except smashing it. This axe should do fine if you take care of it. The hardware should last a long time. I would gig with this guitar anyday. The finish is great it's very strong but not too thick. I've dropped a few screw drivers on it from repairing and nothing obvious appeares so it's very tough. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar ranks pretty good compared to actual fenders and I wouldn't buy it again if I lost it because I would want a second hand guitar to repair and modify (I'm a luthier). I love the twang! Don't realy have a fav. feature. It's great for a starter guitar but if you already have an Epiphone, Gibson, Ibanez or anyhting that costs over 400 bucks don't buy this guitar. // 7

California Telecaster Reviewed by: C40.is.hot, on october 19, 2006

Features: The Squier cali series was made in 2004. The neck's a nice maple with a rosewood fret board with 21 frets. Mine's in three-tone sunburst and is made of Agathis most likely. Obviously a tele-style guitar with an ashtray bridge. Has two single coil pickups with black pickup covers on them. The controls are a 3-way pickup selector and volume and tone knobs. Pickups are your bog-standard Squier singles which kind of suck. Stock Squier tuners. Mine came with a padded gig bag. // 7

Sound: I play a variety of styles ranging from Carlos Santana and Led Zep to something like Alexisonfire and Saosin and it suits some of them well. I play it through a Vox AD50VT or a Roland JC 20 depending on what the situation calls for. Some of the time it can get pretty noisy(mostly because it's a single/single guitar.). This guitar can make shimmering cleans to semi-distorted, crunchy chords with little difficulty. Be prepared for loads of feedback on the latter, though. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was surprisingly well set-up for a Squier. Action was nice and low enough, bridge was well in place, pickups were adjusted fine. Couldn't see any flaws except that the tone knob and the pickup selector were a little loose. Good job on Squier's part. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with it once and it looks to me that the guitar would defifinitely survive lots of gigs. I can see some corrosion on a part of the bridge, though. The strap buttons are decent. I put straplocks on just to be sure. The finish looks and feels good. Don't think it'll wear off anytime soon. I'd definitely depend on this guitar. This is my backup, though. My PRS being my main guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play screamo to jazz and this guitar suits the "lighter" side of what I play. I've been playing for a little over 1 and 1/2 years and own a PRS Billy Martin SE, a Vox AD50VT, a Roland JC20 and a Maxon talk machine. I just wished I knew more about guitars when I bought this and asked for the wood material. I was planning to mod this guitar but when I found out it was made of Agathis, It kind of killed off my plans lol. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy another guitar. Something tailored more to me. I compared it to a Squier Strat and a Washburn X10 and beat the Strat and Washburn in cleans but lost only slightly to the Washburn in distorted tones. I wish it was made with something like Alder or Basswood. Overall, a very good beginners guitar. // 8

California Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2011

Purchased from: Music Theme Singapore.

Features: - Year made: Not Sure. - Where: China. - Frets: 21 - Neck: Maple neck C-Shape with Jumbo Frets - Solid Top, Black in colour body. Made of Agathis, Telecaster body. - Pickups: Two black plastic covered Squier by Fender Single Coil pickups. - Bridge: Top-Load Telecaster bridge. - Controls: 3-way switch, one volume, one tone. - Included accessories: none, but i bought a black pickguard to match the black guitar body. - On The Spot modifications: DiMarzio Tone Zone T Bridge pickup, black pickguard, coil tap for DiMarzio Tone Zone T Bridge pickup, N-Tune on board tuner on volume knob. // 9

Sound: THIS SOUND REVIEW IS ONLY FOR NECK PICKUP! I remember the neck pickup being terribly weak, chimey, thin, flaccid and dull. Thus I switched it for a DiMarzio Tone Zone T, after a little tweaking of my EQ pedal, I can get a pretty chill distortion from the bridge pickup. I USED to play heavy metal. Then one day I went into a church and decided to play christian music, so I needed something with warm cleans. That would be this Squier California Series Telecaster. Now I play anything clean or slightly overdriven. With the likes of John Mayer, Eric Clapton, Red Hot Chili Peppers. My current amp I am using would be a Vox Night Train 50watt with the matching Vox cab. For bedroom practise I currently use a personal modified 15watt amp for extra warmth lost in typical solid state amplifiers. As I seek a warm sound yet clarity found in a single coil, the guitar's NECK pickup matches what I'm looking for perfectly. Due to it being single coils, it is noisy, however it the 60 cycle hum is not as bad as typical single coils and I would deduce this is because the pickups are covered, possibly a copy of the Lace Sensor pickups. Naturally, it is TERRIBLE in distortion, as well as overdoses of distortion. But its perfect to me for slight overdrive as well as cleans. A little on the thin sounding side but its warm and clear for my playing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I did not get this from the factory, it was at a music store for AGES before I finally got it. It got set up by my tech and he made the neck pickup quite high to match the high output DiMarzio Tone Zone T in terms of volume. The sustain was not affected strangely. The guitar did not complain any flaws at all when I got it, due to most of the minor problems I had with it getting solved there and then at the store after at least an hour's worth of scrutiny. I terribly disliked the pearloid pickguard given with the guitar, thus it got removed and replaced with a black single ply pickguard. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar withstood a couple of gigs currently. I'm not sure about Agathis guitar bodies, but apparently its a softer pine wood, thus I bring a spare with me when I gig, but due to me playing Christian music, I don't swing it around like I used to. The Hardware would last, the pickups would last as they are covered with black plastic, which means they won't oxidise. The Strap buttons are a little small but I replaced it (like all my guitars) to a DiMarzio cliplock strap. It's my favourite guitar for cleans as of now and its taken my approach to guitar playing in a whole new way. My speed has increased as playing fast when clean would mean that I need to be more accurate. The finish is a little bad, its withstood so far, but it looks a bit weak to me, I would change it IF something happens, but I doubt it will anytime soon. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm a multi-genre-instrumentalist but currently I play Christian music, blues, jazz, pop with this guitar. This would fit almost all listed, but as long as no hardrock/metal-esque distortion is involved. I've been playing for a little more than 2 years (short I know, but I like to think that I'm surrounded by talented people thus their talent has rubbed off on me) and I currently own a Schecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan Custom/59, an Epiphone Les Paul Special-II with Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz as well as a Epiphone Les Paul Standard with EMG 81/60. All three of the above was meant for metal-ish music which I used to play. I use my friend's Jackson Demmelition King V for its floyd rose =) I wished that I had known more information prior to purchasing this guitar as there is LITTLE information on this guitar. Knowing more is key to understanding your playing as well as your guitar. If it was stolen/lost, I'd get it again and do the same mods as I did. Rather cheap compared to the rest of my guitars and it is truly versatile personally. Also, Telecasters look terribly sexy. // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Bullet HS Telecaster 7.7 Electric Guitars 03/26/2014