Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 05/10/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
Squier's Classic Vibe Telecaster '50s puts classic "blackguard" Telecaster vibe into a gorgeous Vintage Blonde-finished pine-body guitar you'll be hard-pressed to tell whether or not you are holding a premium ash-body instrument.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 9.1
 8.7
 9.5
reviews (11) pictures (3) 35 comments vote for this gear:
Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster Reviewed by: Ippon, on july 21, 2008

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: After reading all the rave reviews from a popular Telecaster forum, I decided to get one even though I don't normally buy full price and new. It was introduced June 2008 and I've had it for about 2 weeks now and like with most inexpensive guitars, I'm past the honeymoon stage. This was made in China (MIC) and from the Squier website: "Squier's Classic Vibe Telecaster '50s puts classic blackguard Telecaster vibe into a gorgeous Vintage Blonde-finished pine-body guitar, you'll be hard-pressed to tell whether or not you are holding a premium Ash-body instrument. The Vintage-tint gloss-maple neck has a maple fingerboard with 21 medium-jumbo frets and a modern 9.5 radius. Distinctive Telecaster tone rings from the custom alnico III single-coil pickups, giving clear note separation even when distorted, strong mid-range dynamic response and plenty of solo high-end bite." Promotional blurbs aside, it's one of the best stock Telecasters I played straight out of the box. The bridge is a Vintage style string-thru body with a 3-Brass Barrel saddles. Scale is 25.5" with a Modern C neck profile. Note: the prototype Fender Esquires were made of Pine, fondly called PineCasters by luthiers and fans Who build replicas. This Tele exudes old school charm! // 9

Sound: It suits various music genres from Classic Rock to Country to Blues and anything else in between.

I've played it through a Hughes And Kettner switchblade head, a Hughes And Kettner TriAmp MK II, a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212, and a Mesa Boogie Road King. As expected, with more than decent tube amps, you get glorious tone and realize the full potential of any guitar, no matter how inexpensive. This guitar is surprisingly quiet even through fast switching, a testament to modern electronics manufacturing. It has the typical Tele twang, thanks to traditional bridge PU and you can simulate classic rock tones with the neck pickup through a fully- or even partially-driven tube amp. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As mentioned earlier, the guitar came playable right out of box, even though it was ordered online. It had medium action, which I lowered a bit, and surprisingly, the intonation was close to ideal, given the challenges associated with the Tele-style 3-saddle bridges. The semi-transparent finish is beautiful, specially for such a budget guitar. I haven't opened it up yet to check the guts, but so far, I haven't seen any flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a very nice Tele! I hardly gig with my Teles, being more of a Strat, Les Paul, and SG player; however, I wouldn't hesitate to use this as a primary or secondary guitar if I wanted the distinctive Telecaster tone. Even the bridge is beefy thick, almost like the boutique Callaham bridge. I'll be watching the strap pegs though, given the "softer" Pine body. This is not a slight on this model since strap pegs easily strip on other models made of Basswood, Alder, and even Mahogany bodies. Just based on the manufacturing improvements of even the most inexpensive guitars, I know this guitar will be pretty reliable. The Gloss Polyester finish is pretty hard and should resist denting/gouging from slight bumps. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, blues, jazz, and some metal and I've been playing seriously for about 3 years and have started doing friends' birthday parties and school shows the past year or so. I have the typical Gibson and Fender guitars and other copies, all played through a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212, a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II, and a Mesa Boogie Road King. I wish Squier offered this model in other colors. One thing that I wish Squier would do is get away from using the cheap plastic nuts. However, this guitar is so inexpensive, if it were stolen, I'd buy one immediately. I expect this to be a huge seller and will probably monitor the Used market for a replacement. The traditional look and feel, coupled with the old school Pine body makes this model a winner. For such an inexpensive guitar, it rates a solid 10; however, if this were my only guitar, it rates a solid 9. Buy one, now! // 9

Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster Reviewed by: Capt_Clarkson, on march 24, 2009

Purchased from: PMT

Features: This guitar was made in 2009 and manufactured in China, it has 21 medium-jumbo frets, the neck is maple and has a gloss polyester finish which gives it an almost "laminated" feel which is great to hold and play on. The body is pine and has a very thin blonde paint coating which allows you to see the wood grain, (this is one of my favorite features). Because it is based on the 50's model "blackcaster" it has many Vintage features, it has a Vintage style strings-thru-body bridge with 3 brass barrel saddles and has Vintage style tuning machines. It has the Standard Tele pickup configuration, and has both tone and volume control. The pickups are 2 custom single-coil Alnico III's. // 10

Sound: The Telecaster is famed for it's ability to suit many music styles, and even this cheaper model lives up to it's more expencive counterparts standards. I play many differing genres and this guitar manages to achieve the requirements needed with little effort. With the neck pickup you get a very distinct blues tone which is suited for Guns N' Roses and Cream. The bridge pickup gives a clean "twangy" tone which is great for Frusciante/Red Hot Chili Peppers style playing. With a few Standard effects it is easy to get a very good metal/heavy tone, stuff like Tom Morello's (Rage Against The Machine) signature sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's action was a little high to begin with but that was easily solved, the tuning pegs are a little loose but it isnt noticeable, the pickups were at optimal height and the bridge was perfectly routed. The nut was cut perfectly and the electronics are stable and well built. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons are well fitted, this guitar is fine to play Live (which I have done) and I haven't had any problems with the electronics. However I have had a few issues with tuning pegs on the guitar, the tuning peg on the high e string seems to be weak causing the string to de-tune after playing. The finish is also easily chipped due to the paint being quite thin, after five days I had already chipped the back very slightly. // 7

Overall Impression: To conclude my review I would like to say that over the years of playing guitar I have played many Telecasters and this one manages to stand up against the likes of Fender American Standard models and sound almost identical. For the 200 I payed for it I am highly impressed, even though it does have a few minor faults I can safely say it is one of my favourite guitars. // 9

Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2010

Purchased from: Digital Village

Features: The guitar in question is a 2009 model, made in China. 21 frets, pine body, maple neck, Kluson tuners and three-saddle bridge, string through body and two alnico III single-coil pickups. To sum up, it's really a vintage-style Telecaster with a more modern feel, with the medium-jumbo frets and .009 string gauge as standard. // 8

Sound: I mainly play Beatles, Kinks, early Who, The Jam, Oasis, Courteeners, that kind of thing. Ideally I'd have bought a Rickenbacker but since I didn't have the 1500 or so to buy one, a Telecaster seemed like a decent enough substitute, as it still has a nice ring in its sound, with suitable bite and snarl in the bridge pickup. YOu can quickly see (or hear) why Joe Strummer was always seen with his battered-up example. I play through a Vox VT50, normally on the AC30TB setting, and it does a convincing job of the '60s British invasion sound in the bridge position. The middle setting is very, very ideal for rhythm playing and, of course, funk. I don't normally use the neck pickup in isolation, but I feel you can use it for something rather more mellow if you wish. I'd personally prefer a P90 or a humbucker for anything jazz-like. I can't say I'd reccomend this guitar for metal playing. Not that it stopped RATM mind... // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up from the factory is clearly aimed at the beginners' market, which is fair enough given the modest price point. For a beginner, the .009 strings would be a real boon, very easy to play your barre chords on. Of course, a more expereince player may want to make some adjustments and fit slightly thicker strings, but eithr way, this ais a guitar with bags of potential. One complaint would be the hardware, which has quickly tarnished, and I feel the nut could be better. There was also initally trouble keeping the guitar in tune, but then tat's always cured by fitting new strings and stretching them properly. I've had no serious tuning issues since. Another issue is a fairly common Tele issue - a loose jack. Most of these such issues tend to be the difference between a 250 instrument and a 1000 example though - mostly niggling faults that can often by easily sorted. Having said that, the switches are solid enough, and not noisy at all. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've not used this guitar in a live situation, but even considing the odd niggling issue, the guitar overall feels solid enough. It could potentially do a live gig, but then you'd always take a back-up as you never know when you'll break a string! Telecasters are fairly simple guitars to maintain and repair, haivng no complex vibrato systems to worrry about for instance, and a bolt-on neck, so no Gibson-type sob stories if the neck does ever snap. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for a few years, mostly acoustic. This is the first proper electric guitar I've actually owned. If this thing was lost or stolen, I'd probably go and get a Mexican '60s Telecaster. This guitar does a great job at just being a Telecaster for under 250. The only thing I really wish this thing had was a proper Fender logo, but then, I suppose you can't have it all at this price point. As a beginners' guitar, it makes it an option well worth considering. Easy to play and being a Tele - well-designed and easy to maintain. // 8

Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster Reviewed by: korinaflyingv, on march 05, 2010

Purchased from: GAK

Features: Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster - Pine body - Lovely semi-transparent cream colour finish - 2 Alcino III single-coil pickups - 3-way pickup selector - Gorgeous maple neck - 21 medium jumbo frets I had been searching for a new guitar for about 6 months with a <300 budget, telecasters had always appealed to me, but I had been put off by their excessive amounts of twang, given that I am a metal fan. Luckily for me, upon coming to university, I have stopped playing so much metal, and formed a rock/funk band, for which a Telecaster is obviously a top choice. I noticed this guitar had much better reviews than any other guitar at the same sort of price, in fact, much better than many at substantially higher prices. Given the hilariously low price and 7-day return policy, I decided to just go for it and buy without trying. I did not make a mistake. This guitar is all one could want from a telecaster, for a fraction of the price. // 9

Sound: Put simply, the sound of this guitar is AMAZING. Aside from my rock/funk band (for which this guitar is literally perfect), I play/write a lot of psychedelic rock, post rock/post metal/drone/ambient, Indie rock, folk rock, prog, and hard-to-classify post-modernist stuff. The guitar absolutely nails these styles. I play it through a Laney AOR 30 watt combo (supposed to be a JCM800 clone with bags more distortion, but it sounds a little different, I suspect due to the 6V6 valves). Clean, this guitar sounds exactly as you'd expect: perfect for stuff like Explosions in the Sky, Bloc Party, Oceansize, country music etc. If you roll back the tone control, you can get a nice jazz tone, although not as authentic as with some nice humbuckers. I played it through my flatmates Marshall MG100, it actually made the cleans on that amp sound really nice (the OD channel was unsalvageable, however). With some overdrive, this thing nails tones like "Helicopter" by Bloc Party, Stairway to Heaven solo, or anything off the first Pink Floyd album. Also gives an incredible blues tone, although I don't actually tend to play blues. Add more overdrive and you're thinking RATM, absolutely spot on. Add even more and you're into Cult of Luna, or Mouth of the Architect territory. The clarity is astonishing, more so than my twice-the-price Ibanez RG1570, even with maximum overdrive (which is one hell of a lot of overdrive on my amp). There is a fair bit of noise (a lot, if you max the overdrive), but this was to be expected with single coil pickups. Another complaint is to do with my delay pedal. It isn't true bypass, but this doesn't matter so much with my Ibanez, as the tone-sucking is not very obvious. On this guitar, however, when you disengage the pedal, it loses a significant amount of presence. I am guessing this is due to the specific frequencies a lack of true bypass affects, which the Telecaster has more of than the Ibanez. This is more of a problem with the pedal than the guitar though. I have been playing guitar for over 6 years, and this is hands down the nicest sounding guitar I've ever played. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came to me very well set up. Action was perfect, intonation nearly so. Piss-easy to play, one of the nicest necks I've ever laid my hands on. Finish is gorgeous, hasn't scratched at all as of yet. Frets perfect, hardware nice, shiny and secure. Silent pickup selector. Impressive. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Strap buttons seem solid, nothing special, just the standard. Will probably replace them at some point down the line though. As previously mentioned, I am in a band. I played my first ever gig with this guitar 2 days after it arrived, and it held up fine. As it was my first gig, I was nervous as hell, and so forgot to tune it both before and while being on stage. Unprofessional, I know. I realised I had forgotten to tune about half way through the song, but soon after, I had some solo chords to play, and to my surprise they sounded perfect. The guitar had managed to stay in tune during transit, despite being thrown around in the back of a taxi. Very impressed. I would use this guitar without a backup if I didn't have a back up... but I do, so I see little point in taking the risk. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing over 6 years, I own 2 other electric guitars: Ibanez RG1570 (appallingly set up, so I don't play it all that much, although this is soon to change) and a Stagg Strat copy. This is half the price of the Ibanez, and nearly as good. It is twice the price of the Stagg, and about 3 times as good. Suited to many styles of music, as long as you can handle that twang. I took a gamble on buying this without trying, but it most certainly paid off. If it were lost or stolen, I would buy another without a doubt, once I had the money of course. Overall, this guitar gets a 9, a 10 if you take into account the price. I will never doubt Squier again. // 9

Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster Reviewed by: MetallMaiden, on september 23, 2010

Purchased from: Rock Around The Clock

Features: This guitar was made, I think, in 2009 and manufactured in China. It has the classic Telecaster 21 medium-jumbo frets and a neck with a gloss polyester finish that, as a friend of mine put it: "looks good enough to eat". The body has a beautiful coating consisting of a very thin blonde paint which allows you to see the grain of the beautiful pine body. The controls are Standard for the telecaster, with a 3-way selector and a single tone and volume knob. The pickups sound rich and full of that well sought after tele tone (which is what I was looking for, accompanied with its sheer beauty, when I decided to buy the guitar) that comes from two custom AlNiCo 3 pickups. The guitar comes with other 'vintage' features such as the black pick guard, a three brass saddle bridge and Vintage style tuners. // 10

Sound: I have a fairly varied music style which goes spans all the way through from Indie and punk to hard rock and metal (think The Libertines and Green Day to Metallica and Slipknot) and my favourite feature of this guitar is the versatility in sound that can be achieved. More recently I have began to move away from the metal scene and further toward the sort of scene that the tele feels at home with and for that the bright, sharp and crystal clear sound that comes from that pick ups is perfect for just about anything that I throw at it. The puck ups are single coil, so when an individual pick up is selected, on a high gain channel, there can be a bit of buzz, however this is nothing too major for me. So as to give this guitar a further increased level of versatility, I am soon investing in kitting it out with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails for the bridge, giving that extra, high-output humbucker sound available for whenever it is called upon. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is a complete dream. I cannot find a single flaw anywhere! The action and general set up was pretty low, which I like and all frets are completely buzzless. Everything is top-draw and looks like it will last. The finish is also flawless and I just love the thinness of the paint that shows the natural grain of the wood beneath it. Beautiful guitar! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought this guitar today so obviously, I am yet to gig with it but I had played on it so many times at the shop I bought it from (pretty much once a week - the guy who owns the shop is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to fixing guitars, plus he is a licensed Fender dealer) so I have a great view on how the hardware is built to last. It can definitely withstand live playing, though I would not be one to ever play without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I previously said, this guitar's versatility suits all of the styles that I am currently mainly playing. I have been playing for two years and own an acoustic, a Yamaha Pacifica 012 and I owned a Tokai SG. The strangest thing is that I compared this guitar side by side with the 389 Fender Telecaster Standard and I found that this guitar surpasses that Fender Standard in every category - the only reason why anyone would spend the extra 170 is simply for the pure snob factor of the logo at the top of the headstock. If this guitar was stolen or lost or whatever other disasters that may strike I would buy another without hesitation. All in all for me, this guitar has everything from the Killer stunning Telecaster looks to the versatility to handle practically anything that one wants to play on it. This guitar simply sums up my love for the Telecaster. // 10

Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster Reviewed by: Rawjer, on march 16, 2011

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade (Vancouver)

Features: This was made in China in 2009? Not quite sure, but hey - that's not the important part, right? The guitar plays really well, I'm playing with stock pickups and factory setup and I am still loving it. Although I've only had it for 2 months, I can surely say that this will be my gigging guitar. This is my first electric guitar switching from the Fender CE-60 Acoustic guitar (black.) I am a huge Fender fan but because I was a huge Squier snob, I never even bothered to look at the Squiers. I actually remember seeing this online and thinking "what a nice colour." Oddly enough, I went to the store to see if it was available - of course, it wasn't. After a year or so of "stalking" I finally picked it up. Oh, actually don't bother with the features - but I know that it's an Ash body with strings through the body. Cream white, Vintage blonde, Alinco 3 pick ups? Glossy finish. I'm not the biggest fan of the tuners, maybe it's because I'm switching from an Acoustic to an electric. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of Rock 'n' Roll, pop, Alt-Rock, and the occasional jazz/ blues. I thought that a Tele would be great, but didn't expect it to be that great. I am running it without anything but a Fender Mustang I amp. Of course, the amp has a modeling function so I can get that precise sound. There isn't any "fret-buzz" or anything like that. All of the knobs and controls are perfectly fine (unlike what others have said.) Great sounding guitar for it's price. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up was GREAT. Perfect. Although I wanted thicker strings (Slinky's, 10 - 46.) There weren't any flaws, pick ups are fine. Everything was great. The Shine can get a bit annoying at times, since when I bend strings, sometimes it feels like I'm actually scratching the gloss off of the frets. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Everything is fine with the guitar. If I were to gig, it'd probably be with both my Acoustic and electric since I love playing with both. But if I were to go all out electric, I'd probably bring a back-up, but not because it won't last. I'm just a paranoid person who never leaves home without a plan-B. Surprisingly enough, the gloss doesn't actually come off. Not that I've noticed anyway. // 8

Overall Impression: If I don't get bored with this guitar, I'd probably never buy another electric guitar again - amps on the other hand, most likely. I'd definitely buy another one, but if I had enough money, I'd buy a Gibson ES-335/355. I do wish that the Tele came with a B-5 Bigsby, but there is a cheaper Tele with a bigsby... I still want this with a bigsby. // 9

Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster Reviewed by: fifer, on june 30, 2011

Features: Just like most Telecaster, two single coil pickups, one volume control and one tone control, and a three way selector. This model has the pole saddles which share two strings each (which I am not a big fan of, but I have heard that this is normal and many people actually prefer it). This model is made in China I believe and I'm not sure what year. It has 21 frets. You can find most of this information on all the websites that sell this guitar. // 8

Sound: I love the sound. I play a lot of different styles from Worship music to rock to ska to hard core... Right now this is the only guitar I use. It is very versatile. I don't use many effects, mainly an overdrive and a delay pedal. The pickups can be noisy sometimes, but that is normal when using single coil pickups. I love all of the three selections, but I have to say I love the neck position best. It is very bright, but when I use it with my Crate V18 (which is quite bassy) it sounds really good. I think they are a perfect match. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was pretty good from the start, and the frets are pretty good. I would give it a 7 how it was. I adjusted the Bridge pickup, and will soon adjust the neck one. It did not have any flaws that I could see. It was pretty much perfect in my eyes. The neck was actually different than the others, having some kind of flame to it, it is very pretty really. After setting the intonation and action a bit, I like it even more. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well it has never crapped out on me haha. It seems like this thing will endure everything. I placed it in my case once and closed the top, but didn't zip the thing. I thought it was zipped and ready to go, so I picked it up, and BAM! Out comes my guitar, which hits the wooden floor. It has a small scuff mark from it, but that was pretty much it. I was worried, haha, but when I picked it up it was fine. Strap buttons and all the hardware seems great. I can depend on it, and I have played live without any other back up guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different music, which I mentioned before, and this matches all of them. I have been playing for 6 to 7 years, and I have owned many other budget electric guitars. My previous one before this one was an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, which I loved too, but this one won over it, and I got rid of it. I miss my LP, but I am glad that I didn't get rid of the Tele. If it were stolen, and I had the money, I would definitely buy another one. I love everything about it, except the bridge/saddles, but its not a big deal. I compared it to the mim Fender counterparts, and I liked this one as much as those. I chose this one because not many people have it and it costs less, while still being a very good solid guitar. // 9

Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 10, 2011

Features: Made in 2011 in China. - 21 fret neck, Maple. - Thinline Classic Vibe Strat with a natural finish on a mahogany body. - Ashtray bridge, string through body. - Volume, tone, 3 way switch. - 2 single coils. - Classic style tuners. // 7

Sound: Guitar has some nice variety in tone between the two pickups, with the neck a nice, warm tone and a bit of a more Strat-like sound on the bridge pickup. I'm using it with an Acoustic G10 and a Danelectro Honeytone. The volume pickup only works over about 70% of its range, with the bottom third all being off. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar Center did all the setup and the only issue was a bit of a loose output socket, but that took all of five minutes to fix at home. Intonation's not 100%, but that could be fixed with just a bit of messing with the bridge. Only real flaw is a bit of a deep scratch about 3/4 of an inch long on one side. Oh, and the cap from the selector switch is missing, but about half the Teles at GC were that way. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The finish will get pretty beat up eventually, judging by that scratch on top, but it's definitely a pretty solid guitar. Figuratively, of course, what with it being a hollow body. I'm not likely to end up in any kind of show, since I'm still a beginner, but I'd be happy enough to have just this guitar if I had to do a little showing off. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar, maybe a bit pricey for a 2nd guitar, but I'm really happy with the sound. It's a great improvement over the little half sized guitar I had before. If the guitar were stolen, I'd definitely want to get another of this guitar but I'd probably end up with a $60 Strat just because of the cost. I love the semi hollow sound it has, and especially the light weight. I spent a good hour, maybe hour and a half comparing this to a couple other Teles and and an old Explorer. I really liked the mahogany look, the light weight and the undyed neck, compared to the other Classic Vibe Teles. // 8

Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2012

Features: I've only just got this for Christmas and really like it. It is a 2011 Telecaster, made in China like all the others, 21 frets, Pine body with a 1 piece maple neck. It has a high gloss finish all over the neck and headstock, not too sure if there's any on the body. It's a natural finish and the wood has a spectacular grain. It makes the guitar look really nice! It has the classic Telecaster controls-3 way selector switch with 1 volume and 1 tone. It is an old style Telecaster so it has the Vintage features. It features a 3 brass saddle bridge, 2 strings to each saddle. It's got 2 Alnico pickups. It's either Alnico 5 or Alnico 3-everyone says different. It has Vintage Kluson type tuners and lastly it seems to have D'Addario size 9's on it which is good. It is a really nice guitar with some brilliant features. // 10

Sound: As I say, I got this for Christmas and only just today I've played it through my amp. I use a Marshall MG15DFX with a BOSS DS-1, EHX Small Clone and a EHX Big Muff. In the bridge position on the clean channel it is a nice twangy sound. I found this pickup was more usable compared to some other Tele bridge pickups which just sound too thin and too trebly to use. I also discovered that a Tele in it's bridge position is more hotter than that of a Strat. It doesn't necessarily Drive the amp slightly like a humbucker but it has a nice amount of punch to it. The neck pickup is nice and warm, with a slightly more rounded and bassy sound, but still keeping a nice single coil character to it. In between you get a nice mixture of both. I'm not really a huge fan of the middle spot with both on but I like it on this guitar because both pickups blend together really nicely. Obviously there is buzz on higher gain settings but that's normal. One other thing I like alot about this guitar is that it is surprisingly very versatile. I was playing Hendrix's "Purple Haze" and then a flick of the switch, a quick adjustment to the tone control and a slight detune, I was playing Pantera's "Walk", which it handled pretty good for a single coil equipped guitar. I was also playing some jazz style stuff on the neck pickup. Roll up the volume again and turn on the Big Muff and I was playing "Sweet Child O Mine". It is so versatile, I was really suprised. I normally give everything a go when I get another guitar and I was really impressed with the sounds that I could get, especially on the bridge pickup. Overall, some quality sounds, handles many styles with no problem, obviously when I turned the gain really high, playing some pretty heavy metal it struggled slightly but I expected it though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: These guitars, and all the other Fenders and Squiers are set up fantastically in the factory. Everything was perfect. All pickups were adjusted well, action was pretty low, but I like it like that. I didn't really search it for flaws, but from what I can see, the guitars fine. The frets on the guitar are very nicely finished and there are no flaws here. The neck's nice and comfortable, nice and thin. These guitars are very high quality and all the Squiers I've played have always been fine and more importantly well made with good quality woods and hardware. Overall, brilliant. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only really just got this and do not play live but from other's reviews they sound like good guitars for live playing. Hardware is all good and definitely seems like it will last for years to come. Strap buttons appear solid though with the body wood being more softer than other guitars they may be less durable than others. Don't take my word for it though because for all I know they could be the most solid strap buttons and last for years. I would definitely use this live but would probably play more than one guitar in a live situation so I would have other guitars but probably not another tele. This guitar does not suit all the "heavy" elements of my styles so I would probably need one of my humbucker equipped guitars with me. The finish is pretty good and will last, but not forever. I think it may start to wear in years to come. Overall, it is a pretty reliable guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I haven't really had lots of time to play it and experiment lots but from the hour I did have today I was very pleased with the range of sounds that it produced. I was thinking that this would be the guitar I would not play as much as my others, but now I think I'll be using this just as much as the other 3 I have. If it were stolen, I would probably get another at some point. My favourite features are the high gloss finish on the neck and also the grain of the wood which is really brilliant. I was thinking of getting the Squier Vintage modded Jaguar and converting it to left handed, because I'm left handed but chose this because of it's looks, it's sound and also it's unusual features. Overall, really good guitar. Great looking, great sounding, reliable and also really versatile. // 9

Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 07, 2012

Features: I'm not sure, I'm thinking its the 2011 model since their are no problems with the guitar vs what I heard about 2008-09 models. Made in China. It has a beautiful finish that looks glossy and great and feels right to the touch. Is beautiful to look at and is Super playable. Classic fifties Tele configuration with the two nobs for volume and tone, lipstick tube pickup and the black single coil with the black capped switch you pretty much find on most Teles. Don't know the tuners but they are rock solid and metal, a very good job on them considering its a budget guitar, you be hard-pressed if it didn't have the Squier label or a guitar aficionado to know the difference of pro guitars. Didn't come with accessories came right off the rack. // 10

Sound: I play an amalgam of styles punk, pop, rock, country, funk, blues, and metal but I don't consider myself to be a guitar player (look how cool I am I play guitar) I'm just a simple guy who loves to play the guitar whenever time allows or constantly if I have the time. I use my Fender Deluxe Silver Face and just pure tube tones from the amp. I didn't get to use effects because of limited time. But I used the clean setting and the high gain setting and it sounded good for both. It is full and bright with the signature Tele twang we all know and love. Great for punk, rock, funk, jazz, country and pop, but metal players might be just a smidgen disappointed because the twang is a little invasive for metal, but I'm sure could be used for metal if the person knew the proper settings or had a setup the took some of the twang out. Can be hard driving for hard rock and for old school metal though with that flaming HOT black pickup, pretty much could fool you that's its a humbucker instead of the tinnier sound known with single coils. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up fantastic. The action was low but just perfect for me as I love low action. Pickup are adjusted great. Just like a real 50s Tele but with a modern sheen. Everything is up to snuff. Great and I repeat GREEEEAT GUITAR! The tuning pegs are great and it was setup perfect! All clean metal and finish very attractive looking! A HOT blonde for sure! No flaws that I'm aware of. Everything was tight and just right. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't played live with it yet, but I tend to rock out and its a very solid guitar. You feel its secure and not some undesirable beginner model that's constantly falls and the seams or feel will break a minute. I could even say this guitar is so great and so solid you could probably take it on semi pro level with little mini tours. This is all just speculation. Heck this is gunna sound crazy since being a Squier guitar and their horrible reputation but this thing probably could definitely do some roadwork. Um the finish is perfect, I only played it today for a few hours, but it didn't scratch or dent or break just yet. Feels that it would last for awhile with eventual dings and scrapes from hard abuse aside. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play classic rock, punk and blues and it is a perfect match for these styles. I've been playing for about 15 years, 11 semi serious. I own a 2000's model Fernandes Strat body model (Dragonfly IDK) and its ok not too huge a fan of it but does ok for playing here and there. Then I have a '69 Univox Hi-Flyer from Japan that I love. I play that at a constant and love that thing to death, beatup dents, scratches and all, even still when I had to put string trees on it. I gotta say this Tele may rival it in playability, feel and tone tho the Univox is slightly more rockin' because of the humbuckers. I would definitely replace if stolen. The Univox just might get edged out by this Tele it is that good. I've played my fair share of Squiers that sucked real bad. I was supremely skeptical when I saw the sticker. But man this thing plays and sounds great! A solid rock and roll Icon on a budget. Everyone can do their inner Roy Buchanan or Mike Campbell with this guitar. // 10

Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 10, 2012

Purchased from: Local music shop

Features: - 2011 Model - 21 Frets, pine body, maple neck, classic 50s "C" shape (nice and thick) - Standard Tele shape, solid body - White, with black pickguard - CV PUs-both single coil - Retro style tuners and components - 3-way PU selection, 1 volume and 1 tone knob - No extras, no gig bag, etc. // 8

Sound: I play predominantly blues/jazz, and the guitar is perfect from a blues perspective, but lacks the thick sound for blues. The bridge pickup is especially good, providing a real bite to solos and bluesy rhythms. I play through a Fender Mustang amp, and most effects sound good, the first two positions (neck and neck+bridge) have that classic Strat/Tele springy and bright sound. I tried lots of different Teles before purchasing including standard Mexican and American Fenders, the Squier 50s CV really held up to the Mexican Teles, which are around 100 dearer, in terms of sound and clarity. The American Tele was superior, but I was impressed with the tone of this one considering its half the price and uses supposedly "inferior" materials and components. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was not ideally set up and required a number of alterations before I bought it. The first frets had some real bad fret buzz, and the intonation was ever-so slightly out. I made sure that everything was set up in store to my liking before purchasing, which really is what you should be doing anyway... Slight issue with the electrics in that the jack socket completely fell out after about 2-3 days, again, this was easily rectified by taking it back to the shop and getting it fixed properly. I have since adjusted the PU height on the neck PU, as this had slipped down. Generally though, its OK built, you're not going to get bullet-proof for under 300 (there are going to be compromises), so not entirely disappointed, and so far any issues have been easily rectified either by taking it back to the workshop or getting my hands dirty. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live yet, but I have jammed extensively, and others have been impressed with the plucky little guitar. I wanted a guitar that was inexpensive, reliable, could take a bit of punishment, and perhaps something I wouldn't mind adjusting and tinkering about with. I think the hardware is OK, but its likely I will replace the PUs (as really that's the main differentiator in guitars...) in the near future, and I think I might replace the tuners as the "retro" tuners are have a tendency to just "pop" the string out (its not strung through the tuner). Strap buttons are solid, but I may get locking strap buttons for that added security. I think the body and the neck are absolutely fine, but again, you get what you pay for; you spend under 300 for a guitar, and there's going to be compromises in terms of materials and components. // 6

Overall Impression: I think if you're a blues enthusiast, a Tele has to be a part of your arsenal along with an LP, its clean, it bites well and sounds good for a guitar under 300. I would definitely recommend it as a solid practice guitar, a guitar that can be well-loved and used often. As I have stated twice already within this review; if you pay under 300 for an electric guitar, there will be compromises, and I bought it mainly to be used as a versatile workhouse guitar that I can play around with and customise. I still think though, if you want a decent replica of one of the two big guitar makers (Fender/Gibson), the Classic Vibe series (Strat and Tele) are a lot better than anything else out there, by a country mile. // 8

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014