Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster Custom Review

9.1
reviews (2) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster Custom Reviewed by: ilikekfc, on february 11, 2013

Purchased from: PMT

Features: First thing this guitar is amazing, I do not know when it was made but they are a fairly new series so not that long ago but I do know that it was made in China in the Samick factory. I think the body is alder and the neck is definitely maple with a rosewood fretboard. It is a 21 fret neck and it is the modern c shape neck which suits me perfectly. It has a lovely finish to it and the binding is lovely, it has good sturdy tuners and strap buttons. The string through bridge is great and I have changed the saddles to authentic Fender brass ones to get the true sound the standard steel ones could not. It is the standard Tele electronics, there is not really anything I can say bad here. // 10

Sound: Now, the sound, its fantastic, with out a doubt the best sounding single coils you can get from a 300 pound guitar, its just amazing, the neck pickup is a little muddy at times but overall its just great, being single coils obviously it is noisy, it picks up a lot of sounds that are annoying but what do you expect, they are single coils. This guitar can pretty much get any sound you want, it works perfectly for me and I can Imagine it will for anyone else, except for super heavy metal and all that sort of stuff. I use it through a Vox AD120VTH and honestly I can't think of a better combo. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, it was set up well, intonation was spot on and action was not too bad but I prefer it much lower. The strings it came with were horrible, they just sounded crap, that's all I can say. The pickups were set alright but raising the bridge pickup allowed more of that proper Tele 'twang' which is just unbeatable. The cut outs for everything are flawless and even with out the mint green pick-guard it looks great. The nut is placed brilliantly, the only downfall is the noisy selector switch but that could be just my one, still, its annoying and the pots are great, no noise and they are super fast. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand playing live, in fact I think it could withstand a drop from the roof of the house its just so sturdy. I would still take a back up because you never know when luck is gonna turn on you. The hard-where is going to last and the strap buttons are just solid as a brick and the finish is just amazingly strong, it has been knocked around (not by me though) and it has not had a mark pit on it, but like I mentioned before, the selector switch is a bit of an annoyance but you get used to it, I'll replace it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the perfect guitar for anyone from beginners to pro's, it's just so good, better than most Mexican Fenders that you pay more for and it looks super cool. I have been playing for about 6 years now and this is just amazing, blows my Squier Standard out of the water and the Fender Standards. I play classic rock mainly but I play blues, country and rockabilly. If it was stolen or lost I would be broken but because its a Squier and because its such a brilliant guitar I would just buy another one. I don't think there is such thing as a better guitar for around 300 pounds and I tell you now that it is fabulous. // 10

Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster Custom Reviewed by: SerSmackalot, on august 20, 2014

Price paid: € 293

Purchased from: GearPro

Features: The guitar features the classic simple tele set-up. It was made around '08, has a maple 21-fret fat neck with a rosewood fretboard, both well made and well finished. It's large frets were ideal for me, as I was switching over from bass to guitar. The rest of the features are of comparable if not better quality than Mexican Fenders, and are almost certainly better finished. The body especially is a treat, lightweight Alder with a beautiful and well-done paintjob, and a good fretboard to boot. The only thing I would replace fast is the bridge pick-up, which can be quite noisy. The knobs and switch are of good quality. Again, simple tele set-up: a volume and tone knob and a switch for the pick ups. It came with a gig-bag from the store, but it failed on me after about two weeks. // 8

Sound: I play mostly hardcore and punk music, and this guitar actually works really well. Use the bridge pickup with a ton of gain and you're set. At home I play it through a Fender Frontman (which I bought with it), for gigs, I play it through an Orange Dark Terror tube amp with a London City 4x12. I use a Metal Muff and a Boss equalizer to get a fantastic heavy sound. I do recommend getting it recalibrated before doing a lot of drop tuning though, as the tuners aren't really made for it. It sounds great when set up properly. The guitar sounds crisp every time. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Out-of-the-box the guitar was set and good to go, didn't even need to tune it. Found no flaws at all, it looked and sounded great from the get-go. only downside was cheap strings which started to sound bad quite soon. The pick-up selector gives a bit of noise, especially when the guitar is used with a lot of gain but that proved easy to fix at the shop (can't remember what they did, unfortunately). The tuning peg for the G-string was a bit loose, but they managed to fix that easily as well. I have had no serious technical problems with it since. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've been using this guitar as my main guitar for three years without any issues. I gig with it, play it at home. It has almost completely replaced my other guitars. The hardware is not of the best quality, average at most, but will get the job done. Everything has been bolted on solidly. There's one thing that I find unreliable however, and that is the jack input. It can come loose quite easily (a problem I have with my Squier CV bass as well). I took it back to the store and they had to glue it in place to fix the problem. // 8

Overall Impression: Teles are really versatile and can handle most styles of music really well, provided you treat the guitar right. I have used this as my main instrument for 3 years without issue. I would definitely buy another one of these if it was stolen or lost, and can recommend it to everyone. I was able to compare it to fender instruments in the store, and it is definitely better than most Mexican Fenders in terms of quality and finish, and close to being on par with some of the midrange American fenders. Even in my genre, I preferred it over the usual heavy-music monsters like Ibanez for it's quality. If you can, get one of these. It will pleasantly surprise you! // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014