Classic Vibe Telecaster Thinline Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 06/04/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Classic Vibe Telecaster Thinline
It sound really cool. It has a great mellow tone with the highs rolled off in the neck position and would work for jazz too.
 8.8
 8.6
review (1) pictures (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Classic Vibe Telecaster Thinline Reviewed by: JCaz, on june 04, 2013

Purchased from: Individual

Features: - Year Made: 2009 - Frets: 21 - Neck is Maple with Jumbo Frets - Semi-Hollow body - Body is Mahogany - Gloss Finish over Patterned Mahogany - Body Style-Thinline Semi Hollow body Telecaster - Bridge: 3-Saddle American Vintage Strings-Through-Body Tele with Chrome Barrel Saddles - Pickups are Passive - Controls: 1 Volume and 1 Tone 3-Way Pickup selector - Pickups are Single coil Neck and Single Coil Bridge - Fender Non locking Tele Vintage Styler tuners Overall very good in the feature dept for the price. I would like to see a slightly better bridge setup and slightly better tuners. They are both very close in my opinion (based on price, $399.00 new). // 9

Sound: I needed a Telecaster to round out my Les Paul and Stratocaster and this fit nicely. I am playing primarily blues at the moment and this guitar sounds and plays very well in that setting. I will also use this guitar in non-conventional ways for unusual tones on my Things That Occur In Nature project. Google the name if you like ambient guitar music! I am playing this through a Fender Mustang Amp and Guitar Rig 4 with Rig Kontrol. Sounds pretty darn good. Not Noisy. Sounds: this Tele works very well in the Danny Gatton style of playing and general Nashville style. I am using it for blues and it adds a nice earthy PLUCK to my blues lead work. I'm using 9s and the hi E is a bit dull, still working on that issue. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Initial setup was bad. Not sure if the previous owner had anything done to it. I started from scratch and am still dialing it in. It plays very well is feels great. Pickups needed adjustment too. The top is very nice looking. The the bridge seems to lay perfectly flat (which can be an issue on Telecasters). I may replace the bridge with higher quality parts, still evaluating. Frets are smooth. There are few small buzzes here and there that were there when the action was higher. I have lowered it and adjusted the neck and they are about the same. On this style guitar for this style playing, it is not a issue. I am an aggressive player and buzzes go with the territory. All other hardware seems solid. I would like better tuners but, it stays in tune fine. This guitar had been sitting unplayed and was dirty, I polished the frets and all hardware. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Would it withstand Live playing? Yes. Speaking of live playing, this guitar is very light. At 6.2 pounds it could make the difference between being able to play an entire night and not being able to. Will the hardware last? I think so. Hard to tell about the internals of the tuners. They cheap China stuff sometimes just breaks. This my not be the case at all with this Fender. Strap buttons - solid. I always like to have a backup but overall, this seems to be a reliable guitar. The finish seems very durable. The Polyester coating is quite thick. I really like the looks of the pick guard and it looks very durable too. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for around 25 years and have played professionally for many of those years. I teach guitar as well and would not hesitate to recommend this Tele to one of my students. As different as they are, my comparisons for this guitar are my (very good) MIM Strat from the '90s, my Gibson Les Paul and my Fernandez Revolver (along various others). If it were lost, I would get another. It plays and feels very good once setup properly. It sound really cool (like a Tele), and has inspired my blues playing. I am continuing to look for the limits to the sound of this guitar. It has a great mellow tone with the highs rolled off in the neck position and would work for jazz too. I really like the mahogany and poly finish, it's a real looker. I buy and prefer black guitars and bought this with the intention of selling it. It's been a month and... I am still playing it every day. Video from YouTube:

// 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014